NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Post by King Bootz »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

I did not see that one coming. This has to be bad for Bisaccia, right? Mayock couldn’t completely survive the Gruden mess.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:36 pm I did not see that one coming. This has to be bad for Bisaccia, right? Mayock couldn’t completely survive the Gruden mess.
Considering LV has already publicly stated they e interviewed both GM and HC candidates, yeah, this ain’t great news for Rich
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:37 pm
Primeminister wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:36 pm I did not see that one coming. This has to be bad for Bisaccia, right? Mayock couldn’t completely survive the Gruden mess.
Considering LV has already publicly stated they e interviewed both GM and HC candidates, yeah, this ain’t great news for Rich
Correct. You tie your hands if you get rid of your GM and not your coach. It limits your choice of candidates for GM.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

It sucks because I think Rich did a fucking great job this year. Considering the circumstances he kept that team together when outsiders would have understood if the Raiders fell apart post Gruden-gate.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Shame. Man sat up in his hotel room after the Wild Card game hand writing notes to every player about the season. Team really responded to him, he'll end up somewhere but may never get another head coach shot.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Pirate Life wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:50 pm

Shame. Man sat up in his hotel room after the Wild Card game hand writing notes to every player about the season. Team really responded to him, he'll end up somewhere but may never get another head coach shot.
And honestly I don’t think he could have done any better than he did.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:58 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:50 pm

I agree 100%. And I believe the Raiders feel the same way. This was it. This was the best they were getting with Rich now or ever.

Getting rid of Mayock tells me Mark Davis wants to completely rid this franchise of any ties to Gruden. New coaching staff. New team building philosophy. Wouldn't surprise me 1 bit to see a Las Vegas fire sale. Carr has 1 year left on his deal. The cupboard isn't very well stocked with talent. Vegas is about to go through a rebuild.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:11 pm
Primeminister wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:58 pm

I agree 100%. And I believe the Raiders feel the same way. This was it. This was the best they were getting with Rich now or ever.

Getting rid of Mayock tells me Mark Davis wants to completely rid this franchise of any ties to Gruden. New coaching staff. New team building philosophy. Wouldn't surprise me 1 bit to see a Las Vegas fire sale. Carr has 1 year left on his deal. The cupboard isn't very well stocked with talent. Vegas is about to go through a rebuild.
To get that team to the playoffs with everything they went through is a testament to how good a coach he is. Unfortunately, not sure some will look at what he did and think of it in terms of Gruden like you did here.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

That team probably did better under Rich than it would have under Gruden.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

I'm not surprised Mayock was fired. You can't waste that much draft capital on idiots and effectively create more problems and than what you started with because you either won't do due diligence or think you need to somehow take the risk
MJW

Post by MJW »

Swashbuckler wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:04 pm I'm not surprised Mayock was fired. You can't waste that much draft capital on idiots and effectively create more problems and than what you started with because you either won't do due diligence or think you need to somehow take the risk
The only possible defense of Mayock is that Gruden possibly made the final call on a lot of this stuff. But ultimately, the Mayock Raiders wasted as much draft and salary cap capital as any team I can think of in this era over the last three years. Most of it on decisions that looked iffy in real time.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Not to turn this into one of those conversations, really not trying to go down that road...But this is the kind of stuff that gives discussions about inequality among coaching hires volume. This is his 1st year as a DC. His unit finished 18th in total defense, has gotten blown out by good offenses, 2nd worst pass rush in the league, and he gets 3 head coaching interviews?

Just things that make you wonder what teams are looking for when they hire HCs.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:08 am

Not to turn this into one of those conversations, really not trying to go down that road...But this is the kind of stuff that gives discussions about inequality among coaching hires volume. This is his 1st year as a DC. His unit finished 18th in total defense, has gotten blown out by good offenses, 2nd worst pass rush in the league, and he gets 3 head coaching interviews?

Just things that make you wonder what teams are looking for when they hire HCs.
I have no idea why teams certain dudes other than that their interview went well or they have a reputation around the league.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Bowles is definitely getting a job.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:14 am

I thought teams who were in the playoffs didn't allow their assistant coaches to interview until they had been eliminated.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 pm

I thought teams who were in the playoffs didn't allow their assistant coaches to interview until they had been eliminated.
They changed the rule this year so that assistants on successful teams aren't penalized.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

so... when the fuck is he going to game plan? Jail Break blitz on every down!
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Digital_Damage wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:20 pm

The gameplay is likely already done by this point.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Digital_Damage wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:20 pm

1st interview isn't until Friday afternoon, presumably after practice. We don't have to travel. Even with a walk through Saturday, he'll have time to speak to teams via Zoom.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Vikings want to interview Raheem Morris.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:31 pm Vikings want to interview Raheem Morris.
I hope he gets another shot. He had no chance to succeed in his first go-around with Tampa.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:34 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:31 pm Vikings want to interview Raheem Morris.
I hope he gets another shot. He had no chance to succeed in his first go-around with Tampa.
Say what you want about him, but he overachieved with the team he was provided here in Tampa. Gerald McCoy was the only real impact player he had to work with.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:21 pm
Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:34 pm

Say what you want about him, but he overachieved with the team he was provided here in Tampa. Gerald McCoy was the only real impact player he had to work with.
He was buoyed by a soft schedule and all but he still won 10 games and should have made the playoffs. Given that this team was in a long term stretch of poor play with only that season as a high point, it reflects well on him. The big mark on him was immaturity, he's had 10 years to season on some solid coaching staffs. Do it, Mark Davis.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Employer: "We want to give you a huge promotion and raise. Are you ready for that?"

Nobody says no. Even if they strongly suspect otherwise.

That was Raheem's crime. He wasn't remotely ready. That should not be held against him.

That also doesn't mean he's ready NOW, or that he'll EVER be ready. Those things shouldn't be assumed either. That'll be for the leadership of whatever team to figure out through the interviewing process.

Personally, I have no feelings about it. I have no ill will towards him, nor do I have any affection. Him getting hired will no more move the needle for me than any other scenario. If he does get hired, I wish him well.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Another odd HC candidate.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Terry Tate wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:21 pm

He was buoyed by a soft schedule and all but he still won 10 games and should have made the playoffs. Given that this team was in a long term stretch of poor play with only that season as a high point, it reflects well on him. The big mark on him was immaturity, he's had 10 years to season on some solid coaching staffs. Do it, Mark Davis.
I agree. He wasn't ready to handle the responsibilities of being a head coach. Whether or not he learned from that experience and is ready now remains to be seen. But we won't know until he gets another shot at it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dolphins have interviewed like 287 candidates and are interviewing 4 more this week alone.

Edit: Make that 5

Snake

Post by Snake »

They have no idea what they’re looking for. That’s always a good sign.
Snake

Post by Snake »

you know what would be hilarious?

If the dolphins can’t find a single candidate who agrees with them that Tua is a franchise quarterback. It’s going to be the first question. “What do you think about Tua?”
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:41 am you know what would be hilarious?

If the dolphins can’t find a single candidate who agrees with them that Tua is a franchise quarterback. It’s going to be the first question. “What do you think about Tua?”
Honestly it wouldn't shock me if that's the reason they are interviewing so many candidates. Chan Galey openly championed for him. Might need to give him a call lol
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Dolphins: So, coach, what do you think about Tua?

Coach: Um... well... uh... You think Ryan Fitzpatrick will be available?
Don't tread on me
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:58 pm

Dolphins: So, coach, what do you think about Tua?

Coach: Um... well... uh... You think Ryan Fitzpatrick will be available?
Dolphins: Shit no. Signing him last time cost us any realistic shot at Joe Burrow.