Be Thankful For The First 2022 Mock Draft

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
MJW

Be Thankful For The First 2022 Mock Draft

Post by MJW »

My dumb job is the kind where someone HAS to do it every single night, even on Holidays. Here I am. I did a mock. I cribbed multiple prospect lists, went off my own observations, and watched some Youtube. I didn't project any trades (unless you want to count Carson Wentz's snaps elevating the Eagles trade to a 1st Rounder, which seems almost certain.) I generally went chalk.

BTW, I know most don't know the kid I projected US to take...but you will.

1) Detroit - Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon
The consensus #1 prospect in this class. Belongs in the conversation with guys like Myles Garrett, Jadeveon Clowney, and Mario
Williams as a prospect.

2) Jacksonville - Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan
Hutchinson is a very high floor, very high ceiling prospect who can dominate in both phases. I think Meyer, as much as any evaluator, puts a premium on production.

3) Houston - Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
One of the best safety prospects of the modern era. The Texans would be foolish to reach for a QB or not go BPA every single pick.

4) NY Jets - George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue
I really like him. He's a perfect building block for Saleh's defense.

5) NY Giants (From Bears) - Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
Neal was born to be a dominant NFL right tackle. Bookended with Andrew Thomas, maybe the Giants OL will be able to block someone.

6) NY Giants - Derek Stingley Jr, CB, LSU
This is more of a BPA pick for a roster with a lot of needs. And I think Daniel Jones gets one more year, deserved or not, because there's no QB in this class clearly better.

7) Atlanta - Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss
Undersized, but he's no smaller than Baker Mayfield, and has many of the same traits. Someone is going to take him in the Top Ten, even if he's probably more a 15-25 type.

8) Philadelphia (From Dolphins) - DeMarvin Leal, IDL, Texas A&M
Not a need right now, but Neal has #1 Pick type upside at a key position. In two years, nobody will care about "needs" anyway, right?

9) Washington - Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
The battle for top WR - even top OSU WR - will be fierce. I love Olave's red zone production and swagger. Like his former (and future) teammate Terry McLaurin, he runs great routes, catches the ball, and produces.

10) Carolina - Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State
Ekwonu is this year's Slater. Versatile on the line, versatile with the scheme, and will probably end up a damn good left tackle.

11) Las Vegas - Jordan Davis, IDL, Georgia
It's tough to guess what defensive scheme they'll be running, but a dominant DT is a dominant DT. Davis is a Wardaddy.

12) Denver - Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa
The first time I went off-script. Like Neal, born to be an NFL right tackle.

13) NY Jets (From Seahawks) - Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida
I have no idea who the guys playing corner for the Jets are right now, and I know everything. Elam has impressed me when I've seen him play.

14) Miami (From 49ers) - Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah
I'm remembering that Flores is a former LB coach. Although he's gotten less press, Lloyd is in the same class as Micah Parsons as a prospects, or darn close.

15) Philadelphia (From Colts) - Sauce Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
The advanced metrics on Gardner's play are insane. He's basically been the best corner in football this season.

16) Cincinnati - Charles Cross, OL, Mississippi State
Another year, another attempt by Cinci to shore up the OL. He could challenge Jonah Williams as starting LT, or upgrade almost anywhere else, too. Experience as a pass blocker under Mike Leach is attractive considering how often the Bengals throw.

17) New Orleans - Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati
I see both the things Payton likes about Jameis AND the things Payton likes about Hill in Ridder's profile. With sky-high upside and good athleticism, I think he'll be attractive.

18) Baltimore - Kenyon Green, IOL, Texas A&M
Defensive help will be tempting, but the Ravens live and die by being able to run the ball effectively. They still haven't replaced Marshal Yanda.

19) Philadelphia - David Ojabo, EDGE, Michigan
This kid is really interesting. He's still learning the game, and the upside is monster. He's a superior version of Jayson Oweh last year.

20) Minnesota - Andrew Booth Jr, CB, Clemson
I'm assuming a) Zimmer will be back and b) Zimmer will draft a corner.

21) Pittsburgh - Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh
I really like Pickett. I would not be surprised at all if he's the best QB in the class. Did I cheat a little by sending Pitt to Pit? Yes. But it'd be a great pick IMHO.

22) Cleveland - Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State
The Browns have very few holes, but the failed OBJ experiment means there are targets to go around. Wilson's quickness and suddenness would work well with Mayfield's game.

23) Tennessee - Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State
It appears Julio is done, or close. Dotson's shifty slot game is a nifty compliment to AJ Brown on the perimeter.

24) Dallas - Tyler Linderbaum, IOL, Iowa
The mighty Dallas OL is a shell of what it was. I got the impression Jerry Jones REALLY appreciates OL play. Fun Fact: Linderbaum once pinned Tristan Wirfs as a HS wrestler.

25) LA Chargers - Drake Jackson, EDGE, USC
Jackson seems like a divisive prospect. He had one of the highest variances of rank of any of the guys I looked up. I like the upside and the traits opposite Bosa. He wins with speed.

26) New England - Christian Harris, LB, Alabama
Last year was the first time the Patriots did something predictable. Will they again? Harris isn't the typical Belichickhuge LB, but he has all the qualities Belichick values (including Nick Saban's coaching.) You could comp him to Jerod Mayo coming out of Tennessee way back when.

27) Green Bay - Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina
I mean...can they move forward with Jordan Love WITHOUT any insurance? I'm not sure right now. Never forget, they took Brian Brohm in the 2nd Round once because they weren't sold on Aaron Rodgers yet. Howell was once in the running for #1 overall, but this is more appropriate.

28) Detroit (From Rams) - Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas
The Lions have about 20 needs and Burks is the highest rated guy who addresses one of them. He's a security-blanket perimeter guy who will win with body control and back-shoulder throws.

29) Kansas City - Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama
They missed Sammy Watkins more than I thought they would. Williams fits their "fast break" approach. 6'2 190 and electric.

30) Arizona - Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
The Cardinals roster suddenly looks surprisingly strong, but their lack of depth at corner is concerning. McDuffie doesn't have top-end size or speed, but he's a zone hawk type.

31) Buffalo - Darian Kinnard, OL, Kentucky
I could see them addressing the Run D, but the lack of Run O is more pressing for me. Kinnard is a mauler inside.

32) Tampa Bay - Travis Jones, DL, UConn
Who? Watch this kid play. 6'4 330, strong as hell, and can collapse the pocket too. He reminds me of Tryon in the sense that he's not all that nationally well-known right now but his traits, if coached up, will make whoever takes him look really smart.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Kona

Re: Be Thankful For The First 2022 Mock Draft

Post by Kona »

Nice mock. Always down for some DL picks
BLT

Post by BLT »

We will see what the Senior Bowl and combine does for him right now that seems a couple rounds high.

He kinda looks like Brian Price without the pass rush motor.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I'm thankful the Bucs are a winning team and I no longer spend November-March diving into college prospects in hopes of the next savior. Such a more enjoyable fan experience.

I have to imagine 2022 will be a defensive heavy draft. Maybe a WR on day 2 if one falls and we lose Godwin in FA.

But we need some young pieces around Vea since every other Dlinemen is either on the wrong side of 30 and/or on an expiring contract.

CB is another area we need to re-stock since CD3 is on the last year of his deal and even if he is re-signed to a what would be a hefty contract, both SMB and Dean are in the final year of their deals in 2022.
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

I’d love to see Wilson in a Browns uniform! They need speed and quickness on the edge/slot
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

A ton of defensive talent in this draft
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

I think my guy Malik Willis > Howell ... GB huh? Hmmmm
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:57 am
Who? Watch this kid play. 6'4 330, strong as hell, and can collapse the pocket too. He reminds me of Tryon in the sense that he's not all that nationally well-known right now but his traits, if coached up, will make whoever takes him look really smart.
Two questions:

Why are we picking 32nd instead of 27th, and why are we drafting a true nose tackle and not a 3 technique?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:49 pm
MJW wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:57 am
Two questions:

Why are we picking 32nd instead of 27th, and why are we drafting a true nose tackle and not a 3 technique?

She was picking us to win the Superbowl!

So Vea can go one on one once in a while!