New York Jets Official Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Buc2

Re: New York Jets Official Thread

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:12 pm I love how Pack nation is like "3 first rounders" and gang green like "a 3rd next year"
I bet they get more than the Bears got trading out of the 2023 #1 pick.
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:30 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:12 pm I love how Pack nation is like "3 first rounders" and gang green like "a 3rd next year"
I bet they get more than the Bears got trading out of the 2023 #1 pick.
I highly doubt it
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’d want a first rounder for every year Rodgers would be contracted to play in NY.

He’s getting a new deal, yes?
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Jets should offer the Packers the #13 pick. Plain and simple. No incentive picks, no future pick drain. Here's our first round pick. It's a good one in a draft that will have a ton of good players available. Hell, you guys could package #13 and #15 and easily move into the Top Ten if you want.

Anyway, that's the deal. You get #13, and you get the Rodgers circus in your rear-view mirror.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:24 am The Jets should offer the Packers the #13 pick. Plain and simple. No incentive picks, no future pick drain. Here's our first round pick. It's a good one in a draft that will have a ton of good players available. Hell, you guys could package #13 and #15 and easily move into the Top Ten if you want.

Anyway, that's the deal. You get #13, and you get the Rodgers circus in your rear-view mirror.
But, the Jets are desperate. The Packers know they're desperate. They don't have to trade Rodgers just because the Jets need him. They don't have to do anything quickly because we all want to talk about it. They don't have to be reasonable either.

@Snake 's idea of a 1st for every year he plays there seems solid. We would have paid that for Brady all day and especially twice on Sunday's.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Hell, if we could afford him I'd be happy to pay a first every year until he retires.
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

I think this is hilarious, maybe rodgers will end his career as a viking too, like Favre.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I disagree. Packers have made it clear it's Love time and they aren't going to carry $60M of locker room drama into the season.

The closer it gets to the draft, the more the Packers sweat. Its a matter of who blinks first.

Crazy as it sounds jets can still turn to Lamar as a plan B. Should be plan A.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

What’s the hold up on Rodgers/Jets trade?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Mexican stand off.

Both side think they have the leverage but truth is neither really does as neither has any other option. Only question is who is going to blink first.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:16 pm Mexican stand off.

Both side think they have the leverage but truth is neither really does as neither has any other option. Only question is who is going to blink first.
Even Brady had to accept that he had limited opportunities when he decided he was done in New England and Rodgers doesn't have nearly the leverage even Brady had. If Rodgers' ego can't grasp that simple truth, he's going to be a miserable man once he has no choice but to look that truth in the face.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Rodgers has the most leverage here than anyone. He doesn't need to be traded. He doesn't need to do anything but cash his $60M check.

The two fighting and the Packers and Jets. Jets know the Packers are done with Rodgers and that there are no other suitors for him so they don't feel they need to pony up. The packers know the Jets are all in on Rodgers and most of their contingency plans are gone, so they are trying to squeeze.

The Packers have no teeth to threaten "do the trade before the draft or it's off", so the clock is ticking on the Packers if they want any picks this year. If anything Jets would prefer future picks, betting they will be lower.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

If the Jets don't win the SB this season, will that be considered a fail on their part?
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:32 pm If the Jets don't win the SB this season, will that be considered a fail on their part?
No. I don't think anyone expects them to win the SB this season.

They got their franchise QB (in their opinion) for a a first (probably, albeit next season), a second, and a sixth, and they keep their first rounder this season.

I think Rodgers is going to bomb in NY, but in theory, the compensation NYJ gave up seems pretty fair.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:32 pm If the Jets don't win the SB this season, will that be considered a fail on their part?
Absolutely. Their window is basically this year. Rodgers likely is done after this season. And even if he is the Jets still fork over a 1st if he plays 65% of the snaps.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Absofrigginlutely. When you go all in like they just did, it's Super Bowl or bust. They're basically doing what the Bucs did with TB12... mortgaged their future for a year or two of high level QB play. For the Bucs it paid off with a Lombardi, and I will never forget that night. But now the piper has come to collect and he will come for the Jets as well.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

They had to go for it. But while I think it’ll get them to 11 or 12 wins, they’re not going to be as good as KC, Buffalo, or Cincinnati.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

They aren't even as good as Miami, LA Chargers, Baltimore* or Jacksonville IMO.

*Lamar Jackson led Ravens
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Wow. Way to go Jets. So it went from "A Russ Wilson deal" to "two first" to "just the #13th" to "both their 2023 second rounders" to this.

Drop down two spots from 13 to 15
Jump up 37 spots from 207 to 170
The 42nd pick
A 2nd/possible late 1st next year

for

Rodgers
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I think Jets will be in AFC Championship game

Defense is really good

Congratulations @McFan and good luck this season
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Good for the Jets. They have an absolute banger schedule in 2023 so I imagine they'll hit the max for primetime games.

May as well pencil in Jets hosting the Chiefs at home for a huge primetime slot.

In addition, the already pathetic NFC QB lineup just got even worse.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Phantom wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:45 pm I think Jets will be in AFC Championship game

Defense is really good

Congratulations @McFan and good luck this season
Don't know if they make championship game but they do have a legit defense, better than the other contenders anyway
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

By all appearances, they were a QB away from contention.

My question is what do they do with the pick. Their window isn't going to last. Is there a day one stud rookie they can slot in or should they trade it for am existing star?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The Jets had one of the worst Olines in football. And thats when they were healthy.

Additionally they fired their OC because the offense was straight garbage. Worse than what the Bucs produced. They didn't score a single TD their last 3 games.

They were not a QB and they know it. As evidenced by the resources they spent on getting a new OC as well as multiple WRs.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Terry Tate wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:57 pm By all appearances, they were a QB away from contention.

My question is what do they do with the pick. Their window isn't going to last. Is there a day one stud rookie they can slot in or should they trade it for am existing star?
If I were the Jets, I'd get the best offensive lineman on the board at that spot and roll with it. I'm no Jets expert, but last I knew their defense was great and had some promising skill positions on offense, but their OL was garbage. A decent spot to fix that at #15 I reckon.
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Jets overpaid.

Green Bay had a ticking clock on Aaron Rodgers's next salary guarantee.
They had absolutely no way to trade him to anyone else, since all parties knew Rodgers wouldn't report.
They knew if he hurt himself in the weight room they'd be on the hook for his salary.
They wanted to get him out of the building as soon as humanely possible.

The Jets simply had to offer enough for the Packers to save face for trading him away. IMHO a 2nd rounder, take it or leave it, would have accomplished that.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Can you overpay for going from from first pick candidate to SB contender?

Jets just showed up the Broncos and Rams trading for a SB window for a pair of 2nds and people really going to nitpick they could've squeezed a little more.

Why "simply offer a 2nd take it or leave it", why not just a 7th, given how airtight your argument is?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I hope the Jets get it done this year. Good pick up.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Doctor wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:18 am Can you overpay for going from from first pick candidate to SB contender?

Jets just showed up the Broncos and Rams trading for a SB window for a pair of 2nds and people really going to nitpick they could've squeezed a little more.

Why "simply offer a 2nd take it or leave it", why not just a 7th, given how airtight your argument is?
They swapped 1st, traded a 2nd, and will give up a first unless Rodgers gets injured for a 1 year rental that no one else wanted.

I think it's a bit rich considering the Packers were backed into a corner.

Also, this is Rodgers, not Brady. Everyone will always questions how well he will handle the locker room, if he will fold in the playoffs, etc.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

If the Jets win the SB, it was worth it. If not, well, you just gave up a 1st and 2nd rounder for a 2-year rental. You lost a first rounder in next years very rich qb class where they could have easily got a franchise qb far better than anything in this year’s. Hell, the second rounders next year will be better than the top 5 in this years. And they still have a lot of holes to fill.

And the Jets are not in the NFC. Getting through the Bills, KC, and Cincy is brutal…not to mention an improving Jags, Miami, and Chargers team. Yeah, good luck Jets fans.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Navybuc wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:58 am If the Jets win the SB, it was worth it. If not, well, you just gave up a 1st and 2nd rounder for a 2-year rental. You lost a first rounder in next years very rich qb class where they could have easily got a franchise qb far better than anything in this year’s. Hell, the second rounders next year will be better than the top 5 in this years. And they still have a lot of holes to fill.

And the Jets are not in the NFC. Getting through the Bills, KC, and Cincy is brutal…not to mention an improving Jags, Miami, and Chargers team. Yeah, good luck Jets fans.
You should play the lottery with insight this foreshadowing.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

acmillis wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:29 am
Navybuc wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:58 am If the Jets win the SB, it was worth it. If not, well, you just gave up a 1st and 2nd rounder for a 2-year rental. You lost a first rounder in next years very rich qb class where they could have easily got a franchise qb far better than anything in this year’s. Hell, the second rounders next year will be better than the top 5 in this years. And they still have a lot of holes to fill.

You should play the lottery with insight this foreshadowing.
Caleb Williams…Drake May…Jordan Travis…Michael Pratt…Sam
Hartman…I mean, I get what you’re saying, but I’m more giddy about next years qbs than this years.