New York Jets Official Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Cheb

Re: New York Jets Official Thread

Post by Cheb »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:05 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:47 pm

Sure, would have been nice if they'd even made an offer to Whitehead to try to keep him around. Getting outbid is one thing, letting one of the better tacklers on the team walk away is another.
Did they let him walk or could they not afford him? The Jets signed him for $7M+ a year. I don't think they could have afforded that last year. We had under $3M in available space and half the roster seemingly with contracts including void years. He's a free agent after this season though if we want him back.
Whitehead is leading the league with three interceptions after just one week. It's early days so it's hard to say obviously, but if Jordan continues to play well, he could make the Pro Bowl and move out of our price range. Heck, the Jets may franchise him if he balls out.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:59 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:05 pm

Did they let him walk or could they not afford him? The Jets signed him for $7M+ a year. I don't think they could have afforded that last year. We had under $3M in available space and half the roster seemingly with contracts including void years. He's a free agent after this season though if we want him back.
They made no attempts to resign him at all, no offers made and no discussions about potentially resigning. Cap troubles or not, at the time seemed like he wanted to stay here based on his public comments. Guy played the SuperBowl with a torn labrum after getting injured in the Green Bay game and a sprained ACL from the Saints game. In 2020 and 2021 he was 4th on the team in total tackles behind White, David and Winfield. 4th in tackles for loss as well. Tied for 5th in passes defensed in 2020 and 3rd in 2021.

That seems to me like a kid you might want to see if you can make it work to keep him on the team.

And maybe, just maybe the money could have been found to resign him if we didn't add Logan Ryan, Keanu Neal and signed Gage to something other than $10 million a year.
In free agency you knew we had drafted a stud WR, Thompkins was going show out this year unlike last year, and Gage would injure his hamstring again so we could afford to cut him? Would you rather had lost Dean or LVD to keep Whitehead? Logan Ryan isn't even on a team, and RYAN Neal is only 1 million. How do you know that the team didn't ask his agent what Whitehead was looking for on the market and didn't insult him by lowballing him? How do you know that if they told his agent, hey if he can't find close to what he wants, give us a call and we can see what we can do?
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:07 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:59 pm

They made no attempts to resign him at all, no offers made and no discussions about potentially resigning. Cap troubles or not, at the time seemed like he wanted to stay here based on his public comments. Guy played the SuperBowl with a torn labrum after getting injured in the Green Bay game and a sprained ACL from the Saints game. In 2020 and 2021 he was 4th on the team in total tackles behind White, David and Winfield. 4th in tackles for loss as well. Tied for 5th in passes defensed in 2020 and 3rd in 2021.

That seems to me like a kid you might want to see if you can make it work to keep him on the team.

And maybe, just maybe the money could have been found to resign him if we didn't add Logan Ryan, Keanu Neal and signed Gage to something other than $10 million a year.
In free agency you knew we had drafted a stud WR, Thompkins was going show out this year unlike last year, and Gage would injure his hamstring again so we could afford to cut him? Would you rather had lost Dean or LVD to keep Whitehead? Logan Ryan isn't even on a team, and RYAN Neal is only 1 million. How do you know that the team didn't ask his agent what Whitehead was looking for on the market and didn't insult him by lowballing him? How do you know that if they told his agent, hey if he can't find close to what he wants, give us a call and we can see what we can do?
In free agency at the time I knew we had Evans and Godwin, I'm ok with signing Gage but $10 million a year for a WR3 isn't a good use of resources for a cap-strapped team no? And Thompkins is an UDFA who was looking damn good in minicamps and camps last year actually. Liked him better than most of the other newer receivers we picked up in 2022 - including Gage after seeing and reading about them all in camp.

And if you read carefully you'll notice I said sign Gage to something other than a $10 million a year deal, not cut him.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:37 pm
kaimaru wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:07 pm

In free agency at the time I knew we had Evans and Godwin, I'm ok with signing Gage but $10 million a year for a WR3 isn't a good use of resources for a cap-strapped team no? And Thompkins is an UDFA who was looking damn good in minicamps and camps last year actually. Liked him better than most of the other newer receivers we picked up in 2022 - including Gage after seeing and reading about them all in camp.

And if you read carefully you'll notice I said sign Gage to something other than a $10 million a year deal, not cut him.
Gage DID take a pay cut, so IDK what you're complaining about. "Looked damn good in minicamp" like many many people do in camp, but he didn't produce that way during the season. Darden immediately comes to mind. I remember how we complained that even with Julio and Russell being hurt last year that we had no useful WR3

In 2023, Gage will earn a base salary of $1,080,000 and a restructure bonus of $5,920,000, while carrying a cap hit of $4,430,667 and a dead cap value of $5,413,334.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-b ... C413%2C334.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:46 pm Gage DID take a pay cut, so IDK what you're complaining about. "Looked damn good in minicamp" like many many people do in camp, but he didn't produce that way during the season. Darden immediately comes to mind. I remember how we complained that even with Julio and Russell being hurt last year that we had no useful WR3
We signed Gage the same year we didn't give an offer to Whitehead. In that year, Gage's cap hit was $5,666,666. Or well over double what his pay was the year before with the Falcons. Pretty sure we likely could have signed him for less combined with the cap dollars saved by not signing Ryan or Neal and we'd likely have been able to sign Whitehead without stressing out the cap too much due to voidable years, spreading out signing bonuses, etc.. In fact, his cap hit with the Jets in 2022 was about three quarters of a million less than Gage's was for the Bucs. And Whitehead restructured his deal to lower his cap hit with the Jets this offseason.

As for Thompkins, he wasn't given much of a chance to produce in 2022 as he spent most of the season on the practice squad despite showing in camp and preseason that he likely would have been a better option than Darden. Once he was on the team, he ended up with more receptions and in a grand total of 5 games ended up leading the team in kick return yardage and being second on the team in punt return yardage.

Anyhow, regardless of cap numbers, signings and whatnot it didn't make sense then or now that they would not even try to sign Whitehead or put an offer on the table. We'll never know if he would have signed for less than the Jets offered had we even made the attempt.
McFan

Post by McFan »

Kress wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:00 am I suppose, if this was going to happen, much better that it happened during the first series than the last. As much as this sucks for the Jets, imagine if they were sitting at 12-2 or something, coasting into their #1 seed, and THEN Rodgers goes down? That would suck more, I think.
I dunno actually. 12-2? Think about how much fun that would have been for us losers getting to that record...
Kress

Post by Kress »

McFan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:26 pm
Kress wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:00 am I suppose, if this was going to happen, much better that it happened during the first series than the last. As much as this sucks for the Jets, imagine if they were sitting at 12-2 or something, coasting into their #1 seed, and THEN Rodgers goes down? That would suck more, I think.
I dunno actually. 12-2? Think about how much fun that would have been for us losers getting to that record...

Good point. You're used to the heartbreak, so you might as well have the fun.
McFan

Post by McFan »

Hi everyone. Took the week off to contemplate even being a JETS fan. Being the loveable losers isn't much fun when the stakes were so high this year. I told this story at the old TBBB that many of you might remember. I was born and raised a NYJ fan mostly because my dad loved the Bills so I loved rooting against his favorite teams. When the Tampa Bay Bucs joined the league in 1976, the orange cremesicle uniforms won me over. So I rooted like hell for both teams as a teenager was apt to do. When Tampa went to their current uniforms, the luster wore off and I just stayed with my Jets but have always enjoyed the banter with TBB fans who were always first rate in my book.

Anyway, to the extent you can have a "second favorite" NFL team, the Bucs have always been mine. But as a sworn hater of all thing Belicheat, I could not join in the celebration Brady bought you guys.

I am only writing all this as a catharsis from the utter disappointment of this 2023 NYJ. Its the price we pay for optimism. I never saw them as a Super Bowl contender with Rodgers, like many did. But five f'n plays? Not even the most pessimistic of us could imagine that. Oh well.

Thank you for you all for posting in this thread and to the moderators for allowing it in the forum. Getting old, made me lose my "posting fastball" but I still enjoy commenting occasionally in my sarcastic tone from time to time.... I know return you to your regular programming....
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If anything rooting for Brady is the ultimate finger to BB as it showed who needed whom. Fuck BB.

I'm not even a jets fan and I spent a week in disbelief at this having happened. Like you said, even the most pessimistic didn't go this far, and oh boy can jet fans be pessimistic. Such a lost to football lovers.
McFan

Post by McFan »

Doctor wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:55 pm If anything rooting for Brady is the ultimate finger to BB as it showed who needed whom. Fuck BB.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't rooting against the Bucs with Brady at the helm, I just couldn't join in the revelry. Too much despising #12 for 20 years.
Last edited by McFan on Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

McFan wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:38 am
Doctor wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:55 pm If anything rooting for Brady is the ultimate finger to BB as it showed who needed whom. Fuck BB.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't rooting against the Bucs with Brady at the helm, I just couldn't enjoy in the revelry. Too much despising #12 for 20 years.
I hear you. I hated that we picked him up. The winning helped, but what really turned me around is seeing him in interviews. Buccaneers Brady seemed human and likeable. Patriots Brady seemed like an ass.
McFan

Post by McFan »

13F11B wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:13 am I hear you. I hated that we picked him up. The winning helped, but what really turned me around is seeing him in interviews. Buccaneers Brady seemed human and likeable. Patriots Brady seemed like an ass.
Everyone and everything associated with Belicheat's Patriots falls in that very category..
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bill robbed us of 20 years of Tampa Tom.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:40 pm Bill robbed us of 20 years of Tampa Tom.
You know who really robbed you? Rich McKay. Tony Dungy. They could've drafted him. But instead they took Cosey Coleman, Nate Webster, James Whalen, David Gibson all while he was sitting on the board.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I mean to be fair Tom Brady does not exist in 99.99% of universes.
In most, Bledsoe stays healthy or some other team drafts him and he never sees a snap until he goes back up elsewhere. I have zero faith we would've ever recognized what was there in Brady.

I wonder if Bledsoe and BB would've won a SB or two.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:05 pm I mean to be fair Tom Brady does not exist in 99.99% of universes.
In most, Bledsoe stays healthy or some other team drafts him and he never sees a snap until he goes back up elsewhere. I have zero faith we would've ever recognized what was there in Brady.

I wonder if Bledsoe and BB would've won a SB or two.
I don't know about that. Remember the Ryan Leaf experiment in 2001? There is certainly a chance that Brady could have ended up the best QB in that competition. Shaun King won 10 games the season before, and Dungy didn't think he was the answer.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

The kid had nothing to be ashamed of tonight. He did well!
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Rich Eisen needs to be monitored for the next 24 hours. His rant tomorrow will be legendary.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Refball sucks
McFan

Post by McFan »

Nice win for Gang Green but their offense still stinks. Take the wins when they come but they're not playoff caliber just yet.
McFan

Post by McFan »

So the Jets finally and I mean FINALLY see what the rest of us have seen for the past 10 games, Zach Wilson is a total bust. 3 years is plenty of time to show something... ANYTHING? And Aaron Rodgers holding this team hostage with losers like Nate Hackett, Alan Lazard, and Randall Cobb is no longer playing well with the fan base. The JETS organization pushed all their chips to the middle of the table and lost.

Time to start over. If Aaron doesn't like it, well, I'm sure some team a QB away would take him. Another season, shot to hell.

Let's go BUCS!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

They botched this big time. Instead of trying to resolve this issue when they had the chance, as in the day after Rodgers got hurt, they arrogantly "believed" Zach was good enough to hold serve.....If he could do that you wouldnt have Aaron Rodgers on your team now. Now they are stuck starting Tim Boyle(who??!!).

Jets fucked this up.
Last edited by Bootz on Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most hated man in America.
McFan

Post by McFan »

Bootz wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:09 am Jets fucked this up.
That''s their mantra... it's all they ever do. I'm getting too old for this ..
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

What are you talking about.
Keep everyone. Run it back year 2.

The injury sucks, the plan is the same.
Hell, get Adams too.
McFan

Post by McFan »

Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:48 pm What are you talking about.
Keep everyone. Run it back year 2.

The injury sucks, the plan is the same.
Hell, get Adams too.
I'll give you this much Doctor, you could definitely work for the Jets. Because that is indeed the plan. Problem is, the plan was flawed. It never occurred to anyone that Rodgers just might get hurt? And now he's another year older and coming off a major injury. To stick with my poker analogy, you're going to bet the same hand? not me..
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Funny, there was a huge fit when we kept Gabbert and didn't just give it to our 2nd rounder. I imagine Douglas deals with the same in regards to his #2 pick.

Only Douglas is forcing everyone else to suffer to save egg on his face from a pick. Licht doesn't. He gives very little fucks about the silly outcries of imaginary draft capital, instead focused on what actually matters. Its one of the key things that make him one of the best GMs.

I don't know if Joe will wise up to the importance of the back up position. But even if he doesn't to stick to your analogy, ya, I'm betting on the same hand because 99/100 its a great hand.
McFan

Post by McFan »

Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:27 am Only Douglas is forcing everyone else to suffer to save egg on his face from a pick. Licht doesn't. He gives very little fucks about the silly outcries of imaginary draft capital, instead focused on what actually matters. Its one of the key things that make him one of the best GMs.

I don't know if Joe will wise up to the importance of the back up position. But even if he doesn't to stick to your analogy, ya, I'm betting on the same hand because 99/100 its a great hand.
Excellent post. Well done.