New York Jets Official Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Buc2

Re: New York Jets Official Thread

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:38 am
McFan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:35 am As a JETS fan, I didn't care for Hard Knocks one bit. Way too much attention on a team who's done and accomplished nothing so far. Am I optimistic? Certainly.. But Super Bowl or bust? Give me a break. Their expectations levels are totally over the top. Shame on Jets fans for forgetting their past. How about watching the games and hoping (praying) for some real progress? The real fan base should know better.

<end rant>
It's the right mentality to have. You can't live in the past because the past does nothing for your present. Why should fans care that they haven't won a playoff game since Mark Sanchez? They should absolutely be looking forward to a run with Aaron Rodgers and company. Hell, look at the Bucs in 2020 with Brady. You think our mentality wasn't "Superbowl or bust"?

Enjoy it man. The window is small but the Jets do have a window finally.
I don't know about Bucs fans thinking Year One with TB was SB or bust. Year Two, yes. At least the majority of Buc fans in here didn't have that mentality. We were of the mindset that Year One would be a learning year for TB as well as the players around him and figured Year Two would be the year they took off. Through most of the 1st half of 2020, that seemed exactly how Year One was going to progress. Then the 2nd half happened. Wow!
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:54 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:38 am

It's the right mentality to have. You can't live in the past because the past does nothing for your present. Why should fans care that they haven't won a playoff game since Mark Sanchez? They should absolutely be looking forward to a run with Aaron Rodgers and company. Hell, look at the Bucs in 2020 with Brady. You think our mentality wasn't "Superbowl or bust"?

Enjoy it man. The window is small but the Jets do have a window finally.
I don't know about Bucs fans thinking Year One with TB was SB or bust. Year Two, yes. At least the majority of Buc fans in here didn't have that mentality. We were of the mindset that Year One would be a learning year for TB as well as the players around him and figured Year Two would be the year they took off. Through most of the 1st half of 2020, that seemed exactly how Year One was going to progress. Then the 2nd half happened. Wow!
With Tom Brady in 2020, it should've been SB or bust. He was still the best QB in football and we loaded the team up to be competitive. Brady didn't need a learning year. And we won the SB as a result.
Most hated man in America.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:01 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:54 pm

With Tom Brady in 2020, it should've been SB or bust. He was still the best QB in football and we loaded the team up to be competitive. Brady didn't need a learning year. And we won the SB as a result.
You may have felt that way, but there was a lot of people saying Brady was over the hill or had a noodle arm. If that last term didn't remind you, then I don't know what will. We literally didn't see Brady throw a single pass until game one as there was no preseason.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Four plays?? That's it?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

There is only one man that can save the Jets season...

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Moozician wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:35 pm Four plays?? That's it?
How much did he cost them per play?
I said what I said

Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:46 pm There is only one man that can save the Jets season...

He would never after being honored Sunday..

But it would be funny, after being honored Sunday :lol:
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Wilson (of the Jets) saw Godwin’s catch and said “hold my beer” THAT was amazing!
I said what I said

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

They’ve shown a ton of heart
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

That game couldn’t have started any worse for the Jets, couldn’t have ended any better for them.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Wow! What an incredible closing few mins. Jets fans deserved that after having their hearts ripped out earlier.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:17 pm That game couldn’t have started any worse for the Jets, couldn’t have ended any better for them.
I think they'd rather take the L than lose Rodgers. I don't know if any QB will be safe/great behind their line, though.

Incredible game to watch.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

At least Jets made out with that conditional pick.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:22 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:17 pm That game couldn’t have started any worse for the Jets, couldn’t have ended any better for them.
I think they'd rather take the L than lose Rodgers. I don't know if any QB will be safe/great behind their line, though.

Of course they’d rather he didn’t get hurt. But it’s football. It happens. You can either crawl up in a shell and cry about it or you can find ways to win. The Jets found a way to win tonight.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:30 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:22 pm

Of course they’d rather he didn’t get hurt. But it’s football. It happens. You can either crawl up in a shell and cry about it or you can find ways to win. The Jets found a way to win tonight.
Agreed and it was so fun to watch
Snake

Post by Snake »

Reporters think it was Achilles based on Jets statements
Snake

Post by Snake »

Snake

Post by Snake »

The year is 2041 and it’s NFL trivia night:

“How many teams did Aaron Rodgers complete a pass for?”
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yes, I’m quad posting.

Imagine Kyler, Caleb, or one of these other young cats with that supporting cast…shore up the o-line and let’s go Jets
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

That’s so unbelievably brutal.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Snake wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:47 pm The year is 2041 and it’s NFL trivia night:

“How many teams did Aaron Rodgers complete a pass for?”
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

How much did the jets pay Aaron Rodgers for those 4 plays?
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Still miss having Whitehead on the Bucs. Would have kept him over Edwards, great game by him last night.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:19 am Still miss having Whitehead on the Bucs. Would have kept him over Edwards, great game by him last night.
And now neither is here and we have Ryan Neal pouting and tackling receivers after they've made 15-20 yard catches.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:20 am
Pirate Life wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:19 am Still miss having Whitehead on the Bucs. Would have kept him over Edwards, great game by him last night.
And now neither is here and we have Ryan Neal pouting and tackling receivers after they've made 15-20 yard catches.
Ryan Neal must be a really nice guy. A Bowles guy. Because I don’t see it at all on tape.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

We'd be pretty damn good if we could keep every single player that ever earned a second NFL contract. Unfortunately, the salary cap is a thing. You guys know that, right?
McFan

Post by McFan »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:30 pm Agreed and it was so fun to watch
Not really...
Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:20 pm Jets fans deserved that after having their hearts ripped out earlier.
meh... some of us are numb from the pain anymore...
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:24 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:20 am

Ryan Neal must be a really nice guy. A Bowles guy. Because I don’t see it at all on tape.
But he received All-Pro votes...And was named to PFFs All-Pro team or whatever the fuck people were gushing about when we signed him to a $1mil deal 3 weeks after free agency began.

Best I can tell he's very well spoken and intellectual. But I don't see it on the field either.
McFan

Post by McFan »

McFan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:38 am
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:30 pm Agreed and it was so fun to watch
Not really...
Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:20 pm Jets fans deserved that after having their hearts ripped out earlier.
meh... some of us are numb from the pain anymore...
The start was vintage "Jets Fortune", the end was enjoyable but can not possibly lessen the pain of another season with an inept QB that every player on the team can't stand. And Jets fans think less of him. Short term bliss, long term disgust.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Jet fans on suicide watch. What a fucking bummer.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I suppose, if this was going to happen, much better that it happened during the first series than the last. As much as this sucks for the Jets, imagine if they were sitting at 12-2 or something, coasting into their #1 seed, and THEN Rodgers goes down? That would suck more, I think.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Nah. We'd at least have gotten to see the what if.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:29 am We'd be pretty damn good if we could keep every single player that ever earned a second NFL contract. Unfortunately, the salary cap is a thing. You guys know that, right?
Sure, would have been nice if they'd even made an offer to Whitehead to try to keep him around. Getting outbid is one thing, letting one of the better tacklers on the team walk away is another.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:47 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:29 am We'd be pretty damn good if we could keep every single player that ever earned a second NFL contract. Unfortunately, the salary cap is a thing. You guys know that, right?
Sure, would have been nice if they'd even made an offer to Whitehead to try to keep him around. Getting outbid is one thing, letting one of the better tacklers on the team walk away is another.
Did they let him walk or could they not afford him? The Jets signed him for $7M+ a year. I don't think they could have afforded that last year. We had under $3M in available space and half the roster seemingly with contracts including void years. He's a free agent after this season though if we want him back.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:05 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:47 pm

Did they let him walk or could they not afford him? The Jets signed him for $7M+ a year. I don't think they could have afforded that last year. We had under $3M in available space and half the roster seemingly with contracts including void years. He's a free agent after this season though if we want him back.
They made no attempts to resign him at all, no offers made and no discussions about potentially resigning. Cap troubles or not, at the time seemed like he wanted to stay here based on his public comments. Guy played the SuperBowl with a torn labrum after getting injured in the Green Bay game and a sprained ACL from the Saints game. In 2020 and 2021 he was 4th on the team in total tackles behind White, David and Winfield. 4th in tackles for loss as well. Tied for 5th in passes defensed in 2020 and 3rd in 2021.

That seems to me like a kid you might want to see if you can make it work to keep him on the team.

And maybe, just maybe the money could have been found to resign him if we didn't add Logan Ryan, Keanu Neal and signed Gage to something other than $10 million a year.