MMA Thread:

BJJ34

Re: MMA Thread:

Post by BJJ34 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:06 am Before I see the results. I have Ngannou winning 3-2, but he had 0 power even into the first round.
I fell asleep before the Main. Was hoping the flyweights would enable me to catch the main, but they put me to sleep.

Ngannou possibly signing with PFL? Bellator? If I’m Ngannou, PFL is probably more lucrative. Scott Coker could throw all of Showtime at Ngannou though.

Impressed that Ngannou won a decision, without watching the fight. Didn’t see that result as possible.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BJJ34 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:31 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:06 am Before I see the results. I have Ngannou winning 3-2, but he had 0 power even into the first round.
I fell asleep before the Main. Was hoping the flyweights would enable me to catch the main, but they put me to sleep.

Ngannou possibly signing with PFL? Bellator? If I’m Ngannou, PFL is probably more lucrative. Scott Coker could throw all of Showtime at Ngannou though.

Impressed that Ngannou won a decision, without watching the fight. Didn’t see that result as possible.
It was a bad, sloppy fight.

Gabe looked bad and unskilled on the ground
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:32 am
BJJ34 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:31 am

So you’re saying I didn’t miss much by falling asleep?

A little disappointing that both title fights were duds then.

Also… Joe Rogan needs to chill it with reacting to every fucking calf kick like they are knock out shots. I nearly turned it off when he kept commenting about Moreno being nearly finished with leg kicks when he was actively throwing with the hurt leg, movement being fine. I think he’s just seen so many fights finished with the strategy he’s prone to think it’s always happening.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Great to see Benson Henderson beat a dagestani warrior.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

The internet going crazy about Rob getting the short end of the stick are missing how bad judging has been over the years.

Izzy dominated that fight from distance and was never truly in trouble. Even with the takedowns.

That Rafael fight for the best of the name is gonna be sick on UFC 272.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Poor Bobby. Didn’t even stand a chance.

Pretty cool all the Ukrainian fighters are joining the war.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

BJJ34 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:32 am

Also… Joe Rogan needs to chill it with reacting to every fucking calf kick like they are knock out shots. I nearly turned it off when he kept commenting about Moreno being nearly finished with leg kicks when he was actively throwing with the hurt leg, movement being fine. I think he’s just seen so many fights finished with the strategy he’s prone to think it’s always happening.
This is so late, but I disagree with ISC about the Gane-Ngannou fight. If you still haven’t watched it go back to watch it. It’s Ngannou’s best performance to date and with it I can’t see another heavyweight beating him. I was shocked with the way Ngannou was able to wrestle considering how bad he used to be.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:50 pm
BJJ34 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 am

This is so late, but I disagree with ISC about the Gane-Ngannou fight. If you still haven’t watched it go back to watch it. It’s Ngannou’s best performance to date and with it I can’t see another heavyweight beating him. I was shocked with the way Ngannou was able to wrestle considering how bad he used to be.
Ngannou looked awful, Gane was just worse.

It was terrible striking, cardio, and wrestling on display. Just reminds everyone how bad the HW division is.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:47 am
Primeminister wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:50 pm

It was terrible striking, cardio, and wrestling on display. Just reminds everyone how bad the HW division is.
Couldn’t disagree more.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Cain shooting his daughter’s alleged molester is hero American shit. Like traumatic that it happened, but movie shit.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:57 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:47 am

Couldn’t disagree more.
How? It seems like a pretty universal review of the fight.

Many chalk it up to Ngannou being injured before the fight and why he was so sloppy and lacked power in his punches. Also believe that's why he lacked cardio.

Ngannou couldnt' do anything on the ground, he just got Gane down and laid there. He was too tired to throw punches and almost got a leg lock if not for just overall poor position and a lack of experience by Gane.

I can't see why anyone would be impressed by the fight. Ngannou absolutely was better than anyone would have believed at taking Gane to the ground and positioning, but Gane also looked like a beginner.

It was a sloppy fight.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BJJ34 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:02 pm Cain shooting his daughter’s alleged molester is hero American shit. Like traumatic that it happened, but movie shit.
I get it, but it was completely idiotic way to deal with it.

He basically did a drive-by and didn't even shoot the right person. Dude is going to prison.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:23 am

Couldn’t disagree more.

Many chalk it up to Ngannou being injured before the fight and why he was so sloppy and lacked power in his punches. Also believe that's why he lacked cardio.

Ngannou couldnt' do anything on the ground, he just got Gane down and laid there. He was too tired to throw punches and almost got a leg lock if not for just overall poor position and a lack of experience by Gane.

I can't see why anyone would be impressed by the fight. Ngannou absolutely was better than anyone would have believed at taking Gane to the ground and positioning, but Gane also looked like a beginner.

It was a sloppy fight.
I again havent watched the fight yet, but isn’t getting Gane down extremely tiring in general?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:23 am

Couldn’t disagree more.

It was a sloppy fight.
It’s Ngannou’s best fight because we have seen him use ungodly power to end fights. In this particular fight he was facing a more tactical fighter in Gane who was never going to allow Ngannou’s power to become a factor. Gane won the first 2 rounds by fighting the patient fight which forced Ngannou to choose a more tactical approach to victory. That first slam (3rd round I think) was a statement because no one in the arena expected Nganñou to go for the take down much less land an emphatic one.

I also disagree that Ngannou lacked cardio any more than in any other fight. Anyone who says that has never watched Ngannou fight beyond the third round. His cardio in this one was miles better than his other 5 rounders. We have seen him gassed and this was not it.

Now the injury surely played into his inability to attack on the feet as effectively as he normally does. This is what makes the takedowns even more impressive imo. Gane is not an easy man to take down, yet Ngannou did it over and over again. Gane played a great defensive game on the bottom which stalled out Ngannou’s top game. Knowing about the injury makes this make even more sense, but watching live I remember crediting Gane with making it very difficult to GnP him due to positioning.

Frankly it’s insane that Ngannou has come this far this fact with his ground game. What we saw in the first Stipe fight to the Gabe fight is entire galaxies different. I’m fairly sure a few of us here have trained in some capacity so you know that most people don’t improve their BJJ/MMA ground game that quickly. Especially when you add in the takedown aspect. I expect Ngannou’s next fight to show improved submission ability and probably the most terrifying GNP of all time. Imagine that mountain of a man in full mount raining down shots….it would be murder.
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Fun fights last night…
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Hammy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:43 pm Fun fights last night…
Not at all impressed. Not one competitive fight within the last 3. Barbosa was owned in every way. Moicano looked like he was scared of RDA until the fifth round when RDA went spar mode. And Colby/Jorge was a wrestlefuck. Boring card. Would have rather seen Fiziev or Islam against RDA but hey… illnesses suck.

273 is stacked unless shit happens.

The two title fights aren’t even what I’m hyped about. Chimaev finally getting a tough test. Burns should survive the initial onslaught, then make it a war. Sterling/Yan should be a war too. Even the main should be competitive but I expect Volk to dominate like always.

The best fight last night was the WMMA between Yan and Marina. What a war that was.
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

BJJ34 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:12 pm
Hammy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:43 pm Fun fights last night…
Not at all impressed. Not one competitive fight within the last 3. Barbosa was owned in every way. Moicano looked like he was scared of RDA until the fifth round when RDA went spar mode. And Colby/Jorge was a wrestlefuck. Boring card. Would have rather seen Fiziev or Islam against RDA but hey… illnesses suck.

The two title fights aren’t even what I’m hyped about. Chimaev finally getting a tough test. Burns should survive the initial onslaught, then make it a war. Sterling/Yan should be a war too. Even the main should be competitive but I expect Volk to dominate like always.

The best fight last night was the WMMA between Yan and Marina. What a war that was.
Sure thing…whatever you say fella.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Hammy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:51 pm
BJJ34 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:12 pm

Sure thing…whatever you say fella.
Got it. You like watching one-sided fights.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

I can’t see Yan/Sterling being close. The first fight was headed to a massacre until the foul. Sterling didn’t seem to have the power to hurt Yan & I don’t think that changes.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Watching the 273 cars and it’s been a fun one so far. I hope the big 3 fights tonight live up to the hype.

I want Aljo, Khamzat and Volkanowski to all win.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Primeminister wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:30 pm Watching the 273 cars and it’s been a fun one so far. I hope the big 3 fights tonight live up to the hype.

Looks like you got your wishes.

My thoughts on the card is Volk has to go to 155. No one’s touching him at 145. He was once 225. He’s too strong for these lads.

Aljo did what he had to do win.

Khazmat gets KO’d by Usman. Just initial thoughts on the dude after seeing him scrap with Burns. His stamina was meh, and he took BOMBS. Those are things he’s not used to taking. My guess is he is still feeling those shots today.

How good is Dern? She’s fun to watch. WMMA’s ground game has been getting better. Love a girl throwing guard as an attack.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

BJJ34 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:34 pm
Primeminister wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:30 pm Watching the 273 cars and it’s been a fun one so far. I hope the big 3 fights tonight live up to the hype.

Looks like you got your wishes.

My thoughts on the card is Volk has to go to 155. No one’s touching him at 145. He was once 225. He’s too strong for these lads.

Aljo did what he had to do win.

Khazmat gets KO’d by Usman. Just initial thoughts on the dude after seeing him scrap with Burns. His stamina was meh, and he took BOMBS. Those are things he’s not used to taking. My guess is he is still feeling those shots today.

How good is Dern? She’s fun to watch. WMMA’s ground game has been getting better. Love a girl throwing guard as an attack.
Khamzat is going to be champ. I think that’s an absolute certainty. He fought a poor gameplan vs Burns and still beat the #2 guy in his 5th UFC appearance. That’s insane! I have no doubt that if he gets 3 more fights to grow he will beat Usman.

Aljo impressed me with his fight IQ. He made Yan chase him for 1 round before using that aggression against Yan.

Dern…wow. Bro when have you seen a flying kimura attack? I was off my seat cheering for her to get that.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

I don’t believe Volk can survive at 155 because he is already short for 145. At 155 his lack of length will prevent him from beating the top 5 guys.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:14 pm I don’t believe Volk can survive at 155 because he is already short for 145. At 155 his lack of length will prevent him from beating the top 5 guys.
Length would help, but he has pure muscle. He’s been 220 before, right?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

BJJ34 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:37 pm
Primeminister wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:14 pm I don’t believe Volk can survive at 155 because he is already short for 145. At 155 his lack of length will prevent him from beating the top 5 guys.
That muscle won’t matter as much with guys who walk around heavy AF. Can you imagine Volk beating Poirier?
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Primeminister wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:26 pm
BJJ34 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:37 pm

That muscle won’t matter as much with guys who walk around heavy AF. Can you imagine Volk beating Poirier?
Meh, Poirier’s boxing is world’s above… but I still wouldn’t discount Volk. I never thought he’d beat Holloway.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Belal Muhammad with an inspiring performance on Saturday.

I fell asleep before the Bellator card on Friday Night(should have got coffee, I actually pay for Showtime because of Bellator).
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

BJJ34 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:46 am Belal Muhammad with an inspiring performance on Saturday.

I fell asleep before the Bellator card on Friday Night(should have got coffee, I actually pay for Showtime because of Bellator).
For some reason I was not excited to watch Belal.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:11 pm
BJJ34 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:46 am Belal Muhammad with an inspiring performance on Saturday.

For some reason I was not excited to watch Belal.
Belal’s one of my favorite voices of the sport. I hope they give him Leon again.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

I'd say Rose lost a ton of fans last night. Her corner deserves to be fired for potentially the worst guidance in the sport. They were telling her to keep running, that the boos meant she was winning, not to engage...It was an absolutely awful fight.

I really thought Gaethje would win after those 2 knockdowns, but Olivera is legit...he gets knocked down at least once per fight and eats too many shots, but damn he recovers and his BJJ is on another planet.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:39 pm I'd say Rose lost a ton of fans last night. Her corner deserves to be fired for potentially the worst guidance in the sport. They were telling her to keep running, that the boos meant she was winning, not to engage...It was an absolutely awful fight.

I really thought Gaethje would win after those 2 knockdowns, but Olivera is legit...he gets knocked down at least once per fight and eats too many shots, but damn he recovers and his BJJ is on another planet.
Rose is one of my favorite fighters, but yes she lost some fans. That fight was fucking horrible because she wouldn’t engage even though she was clearly better than Esparza and could stuff the takedowns.

Trevor Whitman is the best coach in the game, but last night was coaching malpractice. Rose’s head coach/fiancé was the one saying the boos mean you’re doing your job…WTF?! Inside the cage I believe Rose respected Espárza’s wrestling too much and was also seeing ghosts from their first fight. It was like she was overly con Renés with avoiding the takedown & wouldn’t trust herself to stuff them while attacking. I’m so frustrated with that one.

Michael Chandler can cut a fucking promo! I’m looking forward to his next fight because he always brings it. That head kick 🤯 would have knocked out a goddamn moose.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Primeminister wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:14 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:39 pm I'd say Rose lost a ton of fans last night. Her corner deserves to be fired for potentially the worst guidance in the sport. They were telling her to keep running, that the boos meant she was winning, not to engage...It was an absolutely awful fight.

Rose is one of my favorite fighters, but yes she lost some fans. That fight was fucking horrible because she wouldn’t engage even though she was clearly better than Esparza and could stuff the takedowns.

Trevor Whitman is the best coach in the game, but last night was coaching malpractice. Rose’s head coach/fiancé was the one saying the boos mean you’re doing your job…WTF?! Inside the cage I believe Rose respected Espárza’s wrestling too much and was also seeing ghosts from their first fight. It was like she was overly con Renés with avoiding the takedown & wouldn’t trust herself to stuff them while attacking. I’m so frustrated with that one.

Michael Chandler can cut a fucking promo! I’m looking forward to his next fight because he always brings it. That head kick 🤯 would have knocked out a goddamn moose.
That head kick was insane. Perfect kick.

Rose was CLEARLY a better fighter...even on the ground. I have no idea why she didn't pick it up in the 3rd and 4th. She didn't look tired at all...just bad advise.

Think she gets an immediate rematch?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:18 pm
Primeminister wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:14 pm

That head kick was insane. Perfect kick.

Rose was CLEARLY a better fighter...even on the ground. I have no idea why she didn't pick it up in the 3rd and 4th. She didn't look tired at all...just bad advise.

Think she gets an immediate rematch?
That’s why the result is so infuriating. We know Rose is clearly better, but she wouldn’t pull the trigger. Rose fought like she remained the same while Carla got better since their fight 8 years ago.

Unfortunately nope I don’t think she gets a rematch. The fight was so damn boring so why would Dana do the trilogy? There is no incentive for the UFC except to get the belt off of Carla due to her boring style.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Tony was actually looking…good? until being almost killed.
nybf

Post by nybf »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:18 pm Think she gets an immediate rematch?
She shouldn't. No one wants to watch that garbage.