MMA Thread:

BJJ34

MMA Thread:

Post by BJJ34 »

In the year where Tyron Woodley made 2 million dollars boxing a youtuber, some dude knocks out a fellow dude with a flying knee for a contract into the UFC.
Primeminister

Re: MMA Thread:

Post by Primeminister »

Who? How much was the contract?

Woodley made $2M?!
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:08 am Who? How much was the contract?

Woodley made $2M?!
That piece of shit Jake Paul did a thing too. Took less money so all the undercard fighters got a huge payout, proportionately.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:08 am Who? How much was the contract?

Woodley made $2M?!
The commission reported 2 million payday for Woodley and Paul.

No one else on the card made 200k…

Edit: “Dana, pay your fighters moar!dumbenragedface!
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

This will cause an even bigger issue for Dana and I’m glad about that. Fighters should be paid more and his excuses for not paying are complete bullshit.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Belfort/Holyfield(at 58) has been sanctioned by the Florida commission as a LEGIT BOXING MATCH. Someone stop florida.

Holyfield may die in the ring.
Snake

Post by Snake »

BJJ34 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:37 am Holyfield may die in the ring.
Idk about that. There’s video of him sparring Ruiz Jr. he still has his chops. It’s a matter of athleticism.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

So boxing is officially dead, right?

Who the fuck is buying these "matches"? The Paul fights are so obviously rigged, anytime one of them gets in trouble the opposing fighter (Woodley or Mayweather) lets up and allows them to recover.

Holyfield vs. Belfort is just as much of a joke...
Snake

Post by Snake »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:47 am So boxing is officially dead, right?

Who the fuck is buying these "matches"? The Paul fights are so obviously rigged, anytime one of them gets in trouble the opposing fighter (Woodley or Mayweather) lets up and allows them to recover.

No doubt. They’re still running 42 y/o PacMan out there. If 56 y/o Hopkins came back tomorrow he would headline.

Boxing is dead.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:20 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:47 am So boxing is officially dead, right?

No doubt. They’re still running 42 y/o PacMan out there. If 56 y/o Hopkins came back tomorrow he would headline.

Boxing is dead.
UFC jumped the shark as well.

If you look at their PPV buys until 2017, every PPV basically was their highest. Now when it's not McGregor fighting (outside of Masvidal/Usman) it doesn't even register. The whole super fights and interim belts have apparently killed interest. We'll see how 268 does as it has a lot of big names, but McGregor is 8 of their top 10 highest selling PPVs of all-time...outside of him and Usman/Masvidal no fight has been in their top 20 in the last 5 years. The closest being Ferguson/Gaejthe with 700k PPV buys.

I heard Dana White say something like, "Who cares, boxing isn't selling, either". Great mentality.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:03 pm
Snake wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:20 am

Boxing is dead.

If you look at their PPV buys until 2017, every PPV basically was their highest. Now when it's not McGregor fighting (outside of Masvidal/Usman) it doesn't even register. The whole super fights and interim belts have apparently killed interest. We'll see how 268 does as it has a lot of big names, but McGregor is 8 of their top 10 highest selling PPVs of all-time...outside of him and Usman/Masvidal no fight has been in their top 20 in the last 5 years. The closest being Ferguson/Gaejthe with 700k PPV buys.

I heard Dana White say something like, "Who cares, boxing isn't selling, either". Great mentality.
I think some of the McGregor factor is the media output put into it.

ESPN hypes the fuck out ofnMcGregor cards, barely talks about things otherwise.

The UFC’s biggest problem is the massive amount of cards they have. A card every weekend waters down what you want to see. And I’m a huge fan who watches almost all combat sports, but even I get fatigued.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

I would expect Brandon Moreno’s next PPV to sell more too(i’m not sure how PPV works in Mexico though).
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

BJJ34 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:42 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:03 pm

I think some of the McGregor factor is the media output put into it.

ESPN hypes the fuck out ofnMcGregor cards, barely talks about things otherwise.

The UFC’s biggest problem is the massive amount of cards they have. A card every weekend waters down what you want to see. And I’m a huge fan who watches almost all combat sports, but even I get fatigued.
The UFC has 110% gotten watered down with too many cards. Anthony Smith vs Ryan Spann main event next weekend? No thanks.

They also are constantly just adding cheap contender series talent to fill out their cards and the whole promotion just feels watered down. It doesn’t help that the UFC isn’t that good at promoting their fighters. You have to promote yourself if you really want attention and very few people on this planet have the charisma that Conor McGregor has.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

If you watched the Evander/TRTor fight like I did.. i’m sorry. There’s no way florida shoyld have allowed that.

Tito ortiz was always a dumb meat head. Loved seeing his dumbass go stiff.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

The Holyfield fight lost money. That's good news.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:39 pm The Holyfield fight lost money. That's good news.
150k buys is still a decent buyrate for the product.

In comparison: Jones/Gustaffson only did 310k and thats one of the better fights of it’s time
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BJJ34 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:42 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:39 pm The Holyfield fight lost money. That's good news.

In comparison: Jones/Gustaffson only did 310k and thats one of the better fights of it’s time
It lost money, so no 150k isn't very good.

I don't even believe 310k cracks the top 100 fights in history, but I'm not counting all of those.

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-eve ... ys-buyrate

Edit: Most of Jones' fights fail in PPV.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:18 pm
BJJ34 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Moved the needle more than Yoel Romero did in his 2 PPV’s…

It’s a flop for triller but in all honesty i didnt expect that many buys.

It lost money, so no 150k isn't very good.

I don't even believe 310k cracks the top 100 fights in history, but I'm not counting all of those.

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-eve ... ys-buyrate

Edit: Most of Jones' fights fail in PPV.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Big PPV this weekend that will likely do under 500k buys.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BJJ34 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:07 pm Big PPV this weekend that will likely do under 500k buys.
Nick Diaz may be a draw, but no one else on the card is.

The only "big card" the UFC has coming is 268.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:47 pm
BJJ34 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:07 pm Big PPV this weekend that will likely do under 500k buys.

Some big names on this card if youre not a casual.

Rozenstruik and Blaydes have Heavyweight contender status at times. Robbie and Diaz is gonna be a slugfest if both come in with the right mindset. Ortega and Volka both have their own little following. The russian spy will probably make quick work of Lauren Murphy but it is what it is on that one. No one else has shown they can compete with her. Jessica Andrade may have the worst nudes I’ve ever seen, but she can fight.

Then on the undercard guys like Hooker, Moraes, Daukus
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

BJJ34 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:05 pm

Rozenstruik and Blaydes have Heavyweight contender status at times. Robbie and Diaz is gonna be a slugfest if both come in with the right mindset. Ortega and Volka both have their own little following. The russian spy will probably make quick work of Lauren Murphy but it is what it is on that one. No one else has shown they can compete with her. Jessica Andrade may have the worst nudes I’ve ever seen, but she can fight.

I’m pumped for this card. The Ortega v Volk fight is enough for me to watch this card. Everything else is extra gravy.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

I don't think you understand what a "big card" is.

I mean in terms of generating PPV buys, not good match ups, etc.

Most MMA fans are casual and that's why they struggle without Connor. As I said before, they did this to themselves.

That's not to say I don't think it will be a decent card.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:28 pm

Most MMA fans are casual and that's why they struggle without Connor. As I said before, they did this to themselves.

What do you think the UFC should do to create bigger cards outside of McGregor? Because they already create better matchups than boxing ever does. How do they get more casual fans?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:34 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:28 pm

What do you think the UFC should do to create bigger cards outside of McGregor? Because they already create better matchups than boxing ever does. How do they get more casual fans?
Stop de-legitimizing the sport and rankings. Interim champs, stars getting to pick their fights, etc. People don't care about the progression to the belt anymore, so they aren't invested in the sport. Look at the ratings in the mid 2000s, ever PPV was huge because people cared about the sport. Now they care about a few personalities, because the UFC pushed that.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:37 pm
Primeminister wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Stop de-legitimizing the sport and rankings. Interim champs, stars getting to pick their fights, etc. People don't care about the progression to the belt anymore, so they aren't invested in the sport. Look at the ratings in the mid 2000s, ever PPV was huge because people cared about the sport. Now they care about a few personalities, because the UFC pushed that.
Interesting. I agree with the problems of Ds-legitimizing the rankings, but I happen to think that’s a problem hardcore fans would give a shit about. The casual fans don’t give a damn about legitimate rankings etc. I believe the Triller PPV sales are proof of that. Those are some of the most clownish fights you could dream of (most opponent haven’t ever boxed before) yet they’re selling like crazy. The casual fan doesn’t know or care about the belts. They’ve always cared about personality.

Even when boxing was selling the casualz bought the cards of specific fighters (Mayweather, Tyson, Jones, Holyfield, etc) based on personality and the perceived invincibility of the fighter. Boxing sells “undefeated” more than it sells anything which is why often as soon as a boxer gets his first loss the boxing media is done with him. They don’t know how to sell the actual boxer. It’s up to that boxer to sell himself via personality that makes people love or hate you. One thing boxing has over MMA is decades in the cultural landscape so the pool of casuals is larger.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:01 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:37 pm

Interesting. I agree with the problems of Ds-legitimizing the rankings, but I happen to think that’s a problem hardcore fans would give a shit about. The casual fans don’t give a damn about legitimate rankings etc. I believe the Triller PPV sales are proof of that. Those are some of the most clownish fights you could dream of (most opponent haven’t ever boxed before) yet they’re selling like crazy. The casual fan doesn’t know or care about the belts. They’ve always cared about personality.

Even when boxing was selling the casualz bought the cards of specific fighters (Mayweather, Tyson, Jones, Holyfield, etc) based on personality and the perceived invincibility of the fighter. Boxing sells “undefeated” more than it sells anything which is why often as soon as a boxer gets his first loss the boxing media is done with him. They don’t know how to sell the actual boxer. It’s up to that boxer to sell himself via personality that makes people love or hate you. One thing boxing has over MMA is decades in the cultural landscape so the pool of casuals is larger.
The triller bombed in PPV, as I said before, it lost money.

MMA was massive on PPV in the mid 2000s, now unless a card has Conor on it, the doesn't come close to many of those cards. It's because stories were told. People would invest in fighters climbing up the rankings, the stories, etc. UFC lost a ton of fans since then. How else would you explain it?

Boxing is a bad comparison as it has been getting lower and lower buys as well. Conor is actually the biggest boxing card in the last few years as well.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

People seem enamored with the Boxing v. MMA. Triller's last card isn't a good indication as Holyfield was 58, it was thrown together on 6 days notice... and No one in their right mind thought Tito Ortiz was outboxing Anderson Silva yet alone lasting a round.

As for being 'massive' in the 2000's. Nah. I'd argue the sport is ahead now in terms of PPV buys. The problem is they have a deal with ESPN to only allow sales off of their platform. Some people straight up boycott ESPN. Then you have the issue of streaming sites where the same Triller card that did 150k had 12k people watching on yss. How do you get the people that will pay for the fights, but see streaming as their option..

In a down economy, how does the UFC adjust that. This isn't as big as 268, usc... that card is on pace to be one of the biggest events over the last 5 years in the sport. Australia airs the fights for free(I believe) so the numbers won't do this card justice. Also Russia numbers with Valentina will probably air free over their too. Internationally this card is a big hit. Domestically, not so much outside of Diaz.

The thing that draws people to the sport is in some cases the spectacle. The flash KO, the insane Diaz bros stuff. The stuff that you need certain personalities being themselves unhinged. The problem with that is... you get guys like Jason Mayhem Miller. These are fighters, not well established citizens.

Why does no one respect Leon Edwards? Answer that question and you find why casuals aren't interested in anything more than spectacle.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

I don't know if it's debatable or not that the MMA has taken a serious dive in popularity. The Ultimate Fighter, PPVs, and in general MMA discussion/apparel and mass advertising hit their peak in 2010.

People try to blame that it's harder to get or that less people are watching TV, but the fighters aren't getting advertisement deals as much, the web traffic is down, it's just not what it was. Hell, there's not nearly as many streams as there were before 2015, either...because the demand is lower...until we get a McGregor fight, which is wild.

You say "casuals", but that's most of the world now compared to 2006-2010 where almost every card broke 800k PPV buys. That's because people were fans. Yes, there are more casuals or even people who aren't fans now and that's what I'm pointing out.

I still like it, not nearly as much as I did. I went from Pride to UFC and went from maybe 2004-2012 without missing a live card unless I was deployed. Sports bars were packed for every fight. That interest just isn't there anymore.

I haven't bought a card since Ferguson/ Gaethje, even though I can much more easily afford it now. I stream maybe 3 a year now...the numbers show I'm in the majority compared to back in the day.

It's compared to boxing because both are combat sports and both are losing fan bases and interest.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Have to agree with USC here. I think the sport has entered the mainstream zeitgeist. You see highlights pop up on the Reddit front page and Twitter trending on nights of events. I also think the number of people willing to actually pay money for a typical card isn’t strong at all. If it doesn’t have one of three fighters - three might be a charitable characterization tbh - it’s not gonna do great PPV buys. I don’t know the business model but it seems like pay-per-view is them being stuck in the past.

The sport had something of a cult following for a while. I remember scenes at bars like USC described. It felt underground. Now it’s kind of half legitimate/half freakshow. as recently as three years ago they were sending out CM punk. Dana White is a shrewd businessman. He’s also a comic book villain that makes the sport feel like a shady 1930s boxing enterprise. Versus Roger Goodell, who feels regal and respectable by comparison. Why the continued attempts to “legitimize” themselves while they simultaneously dismiss unsightly controversy as “the fight game” and embrace it? The sport will not grow and attract a larger demographic if they keep this approach. imo.

I think the UFC should be very careful in their planning over the next few years. Conor should be done and they’ll lose a HUGE portion of their viewership. They STILL are in the phase of attracting the rejects from other legit sports and using the other sports to legitimize them as fighters. “Johnny Smith made the Bills practice squad team, he’s not your average UFC athlete.” Really?

Heavyweight is a joke outside of 2 fighters at any given time. I see the same old names over and over again. Arlovski is still fighting? I’ll pass.

The UFC depends on kids walking into MMA gyms chasing a dream. If I’m a superior athlete, I’m chasing the dreams that pay better and don’t involve getting punched in the face.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Usc is using his own life as an anecdote for the sport world.

It felt "bigger" because you were involved in it. There are millions of fans interested in UFC and MMA as a whole in the world right now and the old fanbase dying off may be a good thing or a bad thing. UFC buyrates are still doing great numbers, even with bad cards. It's not Football big, so it's not too big to fail. And with athleticism in the fight game, it sells. Anything to sell a fight to get you in the door, it's on the athletes to actually want to throw down.

And Snake, that's you. You're not built like a fighter(not an insult). Some guys genuinely like getting in scraps. Diaz brothers are like that. There is a target audience and a reason why certain people are successful. The problem with the UFC is it doesn't promote it's fighters and merely shuffles them through their ritualistic approach to the sport. And when you look at other events who don't have the broadcast production, it shows.

As for certain divisions... Daniel Cormier was heavyweight champion at 40 and he would throw his back out with a sneeze...

There are cases to build around any number of fighters... all exciting. It's a narrative that writes itself. I have been a fan of MMA since approximately 2007-2008. I've gone to bars during big events, and they're different nowadays. The world has changed though viewership wise. Nothing is the same as it was in the late 2000's. Hell, 4G LTE changed so many things. Nowadays you can stream a fight while driving your god damn car. FROM YOUR CAR.

People are watching the sport, and are expanding to new fighters. Just happens to be there are very few guys who can take a punch from another killer and not be killed at some point. Khabib made the sport huge in Russia(not that it wasn't already). Americans don't have an interesting champion as we speak. It's similar to Tennis when Americans were the sport in the 90's. Then those guys retired and it became more international with Federer/Nadal/Joker... There aren't many American guys to push right now. We've been caught up to. Colby Covington/Kamaru Usman is a big fight because he's an American going for the title. It sells here... IN AMERICA. who'd have thunk it. When i think about what the UFC has been trying to do... I look at the growth internationally. Domestically, you can always have your big events. MSG will sell out everytime you have a card there because guys want to compete there.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BJJ, the ratings, PPV, online traffic, and endorsements are way down.

You are trapped in your own world. You love it more, but it's fallen off. Prime and Snake acknowledge it, because it's a fact.

We are just discussing why. Stop trying to argue its more popular than ever with nothing to back it.

It's not dead, but not close to what it was.

You say anecdote, but I used PPV buys, ratings, bar events, and web traffic to back my opinion. You are 100% arguing on how you feel.

I doubt this will connect with you.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 pm BJJ, the ratings, PPV, online traffic, and endorsements are way down.

You are trapped in your own world. You love it more, but it's fallen off. Prime and Snake acknowledge it, because it's a fact.

We are just discussing why. Stop trying to argue its more popular than ever with nothing to back it.

It's not dead, but not close to what it was.

You say anecdote, but I used PPV buys, ratings, bar events, and web traffic to back my opinion. You are 100% arguing on how you feel.

I doubt this will connect with you.
Dude you’re PPV Buyrate site has multiple cards scoring higher than 2010/2011 without McGregor on it too.

The sport gets time on ESPN in the limelight. They show a fucking banner on the bottom for big cards. There was one for 266 there today. Some people don’t watch ESPN anymore.

The fact conor is selling like he is… is a testament to these 2010 cards that people loved. Seriously, go look at your own link earlier. The numbers are still there even when Conor isnt there.

I dont have access to what ad companies are asking for and neither do you. Unless you work in ESPN’s marketing department.

Again, they have been focusing on the international growth of the sport. And the Pandemic has killed live audiences, the sport continued successfully nonetheless. More so than any other sport outside of maybe football.

I pay attention to clicks and shit too, man. What actually sells and doesn’t is something I’ve always been intrigued by. Again… in sales, so I have to be. Fighting will always sell. Just because it’s no longer underground means you’re losing some of the grit of the sport.

McGregor isn’t even retired yet and is still doing over a million buys per event, and you’re arguing it’s a dead sport. Adesanya’s next fight will likely do over a million too.

The UFC is run by Endeavor at this point. Endeavor just went public last year. They’re going to want to see gains on their investments. The sport is far from “dying” just because you yourself don’t watch the events anymore.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Some UFC videos popped up on Youtube and I took a look. Part way through, I realized something. I don't even know who the UFC champs are anymore. I had to google it, I only got one of them off the top of my head.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

You can absolutely see fighter endorsement contracts.

You keep pointing this at me ignoring everything else I'm saying. I don't know why I thought you would be able to have a real conversation.