Welcome Devin Culp

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Welcome Devin Culp

Post by Doctor »

Culp was the only tight end to run a sub 4.5-second 40-yard dash at the combine. He has the potential to be more of a big-play threat at the pro level than he was in college. He can pluck passes out of the air and make contested catches. He is lean and there are concerns about his ability to compete as an inline blocker at 231 pounds, but he works his hands inside, stays square and moves his feet as a blocker. He drove an Oregon defender into the sideline in the Pac-12 Championship Game. -- Steve Muench
Bootz

Re: Welcome Devin Culp

Post by Bootz »

There's literally no way we keep him and Ko. This ends what's in my mind a very meh type draft.
Most hated man in America.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 pm There's literally no way we keep him and Ko. This ends what's in my mind a very meh type draft.
Not picking on you specifically, but this mind set in general. This may be the best draft in the history of the league, it may be the worst. Let’s hold off on deeming it, “meh” for a couple years.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Outside of his 40-yard dash time, Culp said he was most proud of his performance in the pass-catching drills because he didn’t drop a single ball. He’s been open about his struggles dropping passes in the past, and Ford said they set a target of catching 100 balls per day to instill confidence in Culp’s hands before the event.

“We catch 100 balls, times six days a week,” Ford said. “That’s 600 balls per week, times eight weeks. I mean, we caught 4,800 balls between [the start of their training] and the combine. So for us to go catch five or 10 in a day? That’s nothing.”

Culp’s work has paid off, too. He thinks his results have convinced some teams to go back and take another look at his tape and consider his potential as he fights to prove he’s worth a late-round selection in the NFL draft, which begins April 25 in Detroit. He added he’s received lots of positive feedback from teams since posting his time.

Most important, Culp feels he proved he has what it takes to contribute and be productive in the NFL.

“I’m a very capable athlete and football player,” he said. “I’m ready to play at the next level.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... t-drafted/
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

acmillis wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:59 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 pm There's literally no way we keep him and Ko. This ends what's in my mind a very meh type draft.
Not picking on you specifically, but this mind set in general. This may be the best draft in the history of the league, it may be the worst. Let’s hold off on deeming it, “meh” for a couple years.
It was actually a good draft. Every pick, with the exception of that Oregon RB addressed a need. Time will tell if the right guys were chosen
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Culp's tape features below-average blocking combined with bad drops and unbelievably acrobatic grabs. He doesn't have the size or aggression to help much as a run blocker and will project as an F tight end. He has decent vertical speed but spent much of his time running routes underneath due to the receiving talent around him. Fastballs get on top of his hands and turn into drops, but he's able to flash with circus grabs and contested catches downfield.
-Lance Zierlein
Most hated man in America.
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

Meh. 7th round pick. If they picked a TE it has to be an earlier pick to push Otton or if a late pick it had to be an athletic flyer type and they picked the fastest guy TE in the draft. Probably won't make the roster but we will see
Backside

Post by Backside »

Mea Culpa
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:03 pm

It was actually a good draft. Every pick, with the exception of that Oregon RB addressed a need. Time will tell if the right guys were chosen
I agree but going in I looked at RB as a need because White needs help.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Agreed. People generally feel that way if they didn't get the players they want, but at the end of the day you have to be optimistic to some degree.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

So is Devin Culp the wish.com version of Brock Bowers? That's the vibe I'm getting.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Is Licht trying to break some record for choosing players from the same college team?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

NFL teams make their bread evaluating draft picks BEFORE they pick. There is nothing wrong with pundits and fans evaluating those picks in the here and now either. Of course, no one knows for certain how a pick will fair until they can use their hindsight in 2-3 years, but that shouldn't preclude anyone from coming up with a draft grade today.
Don't tread on me
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

I told you if you kept sleeping with lutz and snake you would catch something
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 pm So is Devin Culp the wish.com version of Brock Bowers? That's the vibe I'm getting.
Temu
I said what I said

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 pm Outside of his 40-yard dash time, Culp said he was most proud of his performance in the pass-catching drills because he didn’t drop a single ball. He’s been open about his struggles dropping passes in the past, and Ford said they set a target of catching 100 balls per day to instill confidence in Culp’s hands before the event.

“We catch 100 balls, times six days a week,” Ford said. “That’s 600 balls per week, times eight weeks. I mean, we caught 4,800 balls between [the start of their training] and the combine. So for us to go catch five or 10 in a day? That’s nothing.”

Culp’s work has paid off, too. He thinks his results have convinced some teams to go back and take another look at his tape and consider his potential as he fights to prove he’s worth a late-round selection in the NFL draft, which begins April 25 in Detroit. He added he’s received lots of positive feedback from teams since posting his time.

Most important, Culp feels he proved he has what it takes to contribute and be productive in the NFL.

“I’m a very capable athlete and football player,” he said. “I’m ready to play at the next level.”

My response to this would be the question: “Why didn’t you do this during the season when your 15% drop rate hurt your team?”
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:13 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 pm Outside of his 40-yard dash time, Culp said he was most proud of his performance in the pass-catching drills because he didn’t drop a single ball. He’s been open about his struggles dropping passes in the past, and Ford said they set a target of catching 100 balls per day to instill confidence in Culp’s hands before the event.

My response to this would be the question: “Why didn’t you do this during the season when your 15% drop rate hurt your team?”
My response would be, are you willing to catch 100 balls everyday for the rest of your football career?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If he makes the roster there is a 100% chance we're going to a flea flicker TE screen.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:59 pm If he makes the roster there is a 100% chance we're going to a flea flicker TE screen.
We kept five TE's last year and if we asked any of them to concentrate on inline blocking - good bye David Wells.