Welcome Bucky Irving

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: Welcome Bucky Irving

Post by Grahamburn »

Central_Buc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 pm Is Cohen looking for this type of back for his offense? Maybe that was the deciding point.
Eerily similar to Kyren Williams from the Rams, so I'd say yes. Productive college players. Same size. Below average athleticism. But, they're both good at the RB things you need to be good at to be a good RB.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:54 am
Central_Buc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 pm Is Cohen looking for this type of back for his offense? Maybe that was the deciding point.
Eerily similar to Kyren Williams from the Rams, so I'd say yes. Productive college players. Same size. Below average athleticism. But, they're both good at the RB things you need to be good at to be a good RB.
Wow, both the guys are identical in so many ways. Licht is generally 50-50 at drafting RBs (Vaughn, Sims), but Bucky is a RB I feel good about on paper. Hopefully his vision and instincts propel him to be a plus backup that eventually transcends into a plus starter similar to Williams. White is almost a guarantee to break out into a star this year imo and will play himself out of our salary cap situation by end of 26 season imo. I like that Irving was drafted with 2 years still remaining on White's contract and will have ample time to make a case for why we don't need to bother spending big bucks or more mid round draft picks at that position.

On a side note, RoJo was another RB I was real excited about. He had superstar potential coming out of USC as a runner. Unfortunately his career coincided with the Brady era where the expectation was smarts, pass catching and blocking, none of which he possessed. Had he played for a run heavy team with bad QB, he would still be playing while earning mid level money at his position imo.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't know about star. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if by week 17 Irving is mostly 1st and 2nd and White in mainly a 3rd down.

White is a good player but McVay had never been loyal to any RB, don't expect Liam to be. He's putting in his fun game, the best to execute will get the touches. It could be White.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Doctor wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:56 pm I don't know about star. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if by week 17 Irving is mostly 1st and 2nd and White in mainly a 3rd down.

White is a good player but McVay had never been loyal to any RB, don't expect Liam to be. He's putting in his fun game, the best to execute will get the touches. It could be White.

I'm actually pretty optimistic this could be a great year for both White and Irving.

It's mostly because our Oline has no where to go but up. I know you watch PR like me and from the sounds of it some of out undersized Guards are working on getting heavier including Mauch. That was another thing Coen mentioned is that we have to get bigger on the line and It seems we've made steps.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Doctor wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:56 pm I don't know about star. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if by week 17 Irving is mostly 1st and 2nd and White in mainly a 3rd down.

White is an explosive runner that can break ankles if he gets to run in open field. He has the "juice". He showed us many times from mid season onwards that he has juice and is probably a bigger weapon than Godwin at this moment. Sure there were some plays early last season where he could have hit a different hole and run more decisively, but as the season was nearing the end, it looked clear to me that White was relishing the game and was getting the most out of what our O-line was giving him.

I can see Irving displacing White for entire drives by end of next season, unlike Edwards who subbed in for a couple of snaps here and there. But he will clearly be the backup. Also I think Sean Tucker will emerge. I think Edwards will be cut before end of preseason.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Rachaad White doesn't play much on 3rd down because A. He's a terrible pass protector and B. He's basically Legarrette Blount on short yardage situations. Ideally he's a change of pace guy and pass catcher.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If you think Bucky is a better pass protector, oh boy.

I know they talked Sean and size for short yardage but I really feel it'll be Bucky.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:09 am If you think Bucky is a better pass protector, oh boy.

I know they talked Sean and size for short yardage but I really feel it'll be Bucky.
I don't know that Bucky is a better pass protector. But White is not good in that department. Chase Edmonds is decent but he's not much of a threat so you pretty much know he's not going to be running routes.

Bucky has a good build for short yardage. Solid, low to the ground. He might not power through defenders but he can find creases.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Running back is not a position of strength for this team