The Falcons QB Controversy

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
13F11B

Re: The Falcons QB Controversy

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:17 pm Now who goin remember this shit in 2029??
People allowed you back after your failed bet on Jameis. Given that it likely only lasts a few months.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Kek
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:07 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:17 pm Now who goin remember this shit in 2029??
People allowed you back after your failed bet on Jameis. Given that it likely only lasts a few months.
I left October 2018 and returned the night we won the Superbowl. Then a few months later we happen to get a new board. That bet was for a decision that was made in 24 hours. This one we have to wait 5 years.
Most hated man in America.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:27 pm Funny to see these kids treat forum ban bets like they are street racing for pinks. Oh em gee, you must be so cool.

So if Penix retires without starting his 35th game, I'm banned. When he does start his 35th game, Kaimaru is banned. If he starts a game in 2029, Kaimaru is banned. If those terms aren't moronic enough, by the time either event is trigger we'll be on yet another version of this forum.

The funniest part of all is you thinking your pink is even worth anything.
I can't believe that he would even bet you something like that. If it were me betting, the loser would have to carry an avatar decided on by the winner for a month.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

‘Forum ban’ bets are basically a way of telling the world you’re 11 years old.

Seriously, what the hell? :lol:
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:13 pm
13F11B wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:07 pm

I left October 2018 and returned the night we won the Superbowl. Then a few months later we happen to get a new board. That bet was for a decision that was made in 24 hours. This one we have to wait 5 years.
You still remember though, heh? Point. Scored.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Raheem would've totally been in on Lamar.
Thank you Arthur.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

The Falcons decided two months ago they would solve their QB problem in FA, not the Draft. Which makes sense given they desperately needed help in other areas, including WR, pass rush, etc. And Odunze was there at #8. Cousins with Odunze-London-Pitts? Glad we don't have to face that next year. No wonder Ryan Poles was laughing when he was asked about the Falcons drafting Penix.

Penix may turn out okay...nobody knows. There's an injury history there and some issues with how he throws under pressure that's enough to concern me. But when FA starts and you're going in for $100 mil on a quarterback, you're deciding right there that he's your quarterback for the foreseeable future. Penix is going to be 24 when the season starts. He may not see the field until he's 27. For most qbs, that means 5 years left in their prime. But something tells me in the end Cousins gets cut and the Falcons have to eat up his contract and lose cap space because of this bone-headed decision.

Tired of hearing the Jordan Love comparisons. The Falcons aren't the Packers of 4 years ago. That team didn't have a lot of needs at the time. Packers were pretty stacked, hence why they drafted in the 20s. The Falcons needed that No. 8 pick for other positions.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

St the end of the day I like Penix
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

I only watched Penix one time last fall. One time was enough, he stunk up the place worse than a rabid skunk. I am SO glad he's Raheem's Chosen One!
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cousins won 12 games once in Minnesota. That pick was idiotic and the beginning of a quick end.
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

This just in: Atlanta Falcons plan to draft at least another 4 QBs on day 3.

“It’s just like throwing darts,” said HC Raheem Morris “throw enough and eventually something will stick.”

It’s been rumored the Falcons plan to draft Jack and Benjamin Brady to prepare for Penix’s eventual retirement. When asked about the move, Morris said, “Those boys are youngry. They’ve seen success firsthand. They got that goat in them somewhere. Never too early to plan ahead.”

When asked just how many QBs they planned to acquire this year, GM Terry Fontenot said, “ Not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven…”
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Big Irv wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:51 am This just in: Atlanta Falcons plan to draft at least another 4 QBs on day 3.

“It’s just like throwing darts,” said HC Raheem Morris “throw enough and eventually something will stick.”
Funny enough I could honestly see him saying this.
Most hated man in America.
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

Yoda on the Falcons draft strategy:

"Always the future, Never their minds on where they are, what they are doing"
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Gotta love it:

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Grabbed a bunch of defenders I liked in the mid-rounds though.

Crazy they could have had Odunze or their pick of the first defender off the board.

Better for us I guess. Weird decision.
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

I mean, a lot of people are saying this isn't any disrespect towards the kid, just the falcons. Can't say a #8 pick has had 0 expectations before. In a way he is lucky in that regard. But falcons falconing it up as usual.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

I think people are overthinking it, like there’s some 4D chess going on with each team’s approach to the draft. And holy crap is now even more polarizing when every Tom, Dick and Harry barfs several thousand words on their own blogs prognosticating draft picks. Yeah, nobody saw this coming.

So what?

Cousins is a Falcon for two years. They’ll cut him afterwards, and yeah, they viewed Penix as one of the QBs they would take at 8. If Penix is the longterm answer at QB, nobody’s gonna give a crap about how it all worked out. It’ll be a footnote in draft history.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CantonJester wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:33 pm I think people are overthinking it, like there’s some 4D chess going on with each team’s approach to the draft. And holy crap is now even more polarizing when every Tom, Dick and Harry barfs several thousand words on their own blogs prognosticating draft picks. Yeah, nobody saw this coming.

So what?

Cousins is a Falcon for two years. They’ll cut him afterwards, and yeah, they viewed Penix as one of the QBs they would take at 8. If Penix is the longterm answer at QB, nobody’s gonna give a crap about how it all worked out. It’ll be a footnote in draft history.
I don’t think the Packers regret taking Rodgers or Love. I do think the opportunity cost of Love may have cost the Packers another championship though.

Who knows with the Falcons? If Cousins wins a Super Bowl there then nobody will care. If he doesn’t and they get close I’d always wonder…

If he does get close AND Penix is not the answer at QB? Yikes.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:42 pm
CantonJester wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:33 pm I think people are overthinking it, like there’s some 4D chess going on with each team’s approach to the draft. And holy crap is now even more polarizing when every Tom, Dick and Harry barfs several thousand words on their own blogs prognosticating draft picks. Yeah, nobody saw this coming.

So what?

I don’t think the Packers regret taking Rodgers or Love. I do think the opportunity cost of Love may have cost the Packers another championship though.

Who knows with the Falcons? If Cousins wins a Super Bowl there then nobody will care. If he doesn’t and they get close I’d always wonder…

The Falcons have too many holes to be a serious championship threat. What we’ll see out of Cousins is he will stabilize the offense enough so that the defense isn’t on the wrong side of the field more often than not so that the team can fight to a respectable 8-9 in the NFCS, which would push them way out of range in landing a potentially elite QB in next year’s draft. Yeah, stranger things and all that, but that’s part of the reason they took Penix now.

They weren’t signing Cousins and then passing on a QB with the 8th pick.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CantonJester wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:03 pm

The Falcons have too many holes to be a serious championship threat. What we’ll see out of Cousins is he will stabilize the offense enough so that the defense isn’t on the wrong side of the field more often than not so that the team can fight to a respectable 8-9 in the NFCS, which would push them way out of range in landing a potentially elite QB in next year’s draft. Yeah, stranger things and all that, but that’s part of the reason they took Penix now.

Clearly. But, they should have.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

Is it possible they picked him with the idea of trading him to another team for more draft picks and that fell flat?
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

The Falcons add a new layer to their ongoing QB controversy. Falcons sign former Illinois QB John Paddock. An eventual replacement for Michael Penix jr?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Big Irv wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:56 pm The Falcons add a new layer to their ongoing QB controversy. Falcons sign former Illinois QB John Paddock. An eventual replacement for Michael Penix jr?
Actually, that is their new left tackle. :-)
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

As a Buccaneers fan I just hope this works out of them exactly as I hope. (Cousins flops and Penix does too.)
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

I think the owner fell in love with the letter Penix sent to the GMs. I’m just glad they didn’t draft Bowers; pairing him with Pitts would be a nightmare for opposing DCs.

I think the odds of selecting a worse HC than Smith have to be pretty high but Atlanta managed to achieve it.

In an ideal world, Bowers would be staying in Georgia and Penix would be in Vegas. Thanks to the Falcons for mucking it up.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Again, the only thing that will decide if this is a muck up or not is if Penix is a bust or not. Everything is so skewed towards QB that way it will render everything else moot if he ends up being a franchise guy for them.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Doctor wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:45 pm Again, the only thing that will decide if this is a muck up or not is if Penix is a bust or not. Everything is so skewed towards QB that way it will render everything else moot if he ends up being a franchise guy for them.
Good outcomes don't excuse the bad process used to get there.

I mean... Imagine for a moment if when we signed Brady, who's contract was less than half what Kirk is making, we decided to spend our top pick on Jordan Love instead of Tristan Wirfs. We do not win the super bowl and would've wasted the Brady acquisition. And ironically we sent GB home with Tristan Wirfs protecting Brady while Rodgers was being harassed by Shaq and jpp...All while love sat on the bench contributing absolutely nothing.

Now, the falcons are on the hook for $100 mil guaranteed for a 36 year old QB that's coming off an Achilles tear. And rather than getting him another weapon or protection they took an old rookie QB with tons of injury issues that won't see the field until his rookie deal is all but tossed in the trash.

Taking Penix at 8, given the context of their team, will NEVER be the right decision. At best they'll just get lucky, but the awful process behind the pick will always be inside the building and fueling other dogshit decisions.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Pats take Brady in the first round. What grade do you give it?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:30 pm Pats take Brady in the first round. What grade do you give it?
They didn’t have a first in 2000. However, if he’s taken that early does he even become Brady?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

OK. I am done making fun of this pick.
In reality if Penix ends up being a hall of famer the Falcons will look like geniuses. If Penix ends up a long time starter for the Falcons, but never takes them to the Super Bowl the pick will be viewed as a waste. If Penix washes out of the league this pick will cost jobs. It is a high upside pick with the possibility of altering a GMs career.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That is pretty much always the criteria first round QBs are judged by.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I don't think I can agree with this position. When you look at their opponents (obviously because the schedule hasn't come out yet), it looks pretty good for them. Their home games are Dallas, Giants, Chiefs, Chargers, Seahawks, and Steelers. Being fair, and saying they win their home division games, I'm seeing wins against the Giants, Seahawks, and Steelers (at a minimum), so 6 wins. On the road, they have the Broncos, Raiders, Eagles, Vikings, and Commanders. Assuming they win @ Carolina and lose in Tampa and New Orleans, I see wins against Denver, Vegas, Minnesota, and Washington. That puts them at a minimum of 11 wins.

Our schedule is almost the same, so lets say that we win the same common games they do and look at the non-common ones. So, we'll start out at 11-6, which is where I think a reasonable mark is for the Falcons (as noted above)... we play Baltimore, not the Steelers. I think we lose that one. We play the 49ers, not the Seahawks. I think we lose that one. We play the Lions, not the Vikings. I think we lose that one.

Last year, our two teams weren't that far apart. The only thing separating us last year was that we beat them in a come from behind win. We don't do that, we're both 8-9 and the Saints win the division. They made a massive upgrade at QB and we were stagnant. I don't think it's unrealistic to think that the schedule difference results in Atlanta being 3 games better than us. Heck, Vegas has them at 2 better than us.