2024 NFL Draft, What are the Bucs needs?

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
GreatTimes

2024 NFL Draft, What are the Bucs needs?

Post by GreatTimes »

The NFL Draft is only 20 days away. The Bucs made a great move in signing Whitehead. But that is the only impact player (my opinion) that the Bucs signed away from another team. So what should the Bucs be looking for in the draft. IMO the Bucs need an IOL and a shutdown corner with the first 2 picks they have.
Bootz

Re: 2024 NFL Draft, What are the Bucs needs?

Post by Bootz »

OL, EDGE, ILB, CB, DE are all dire. We literally lost starters at each position and have yet to adequately replace them.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

They need to draft the best player available.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:42 pm They need to draft the best player available.
The optimist in me wants to agree with you, but if we for instance drafted a QB, TE, WR, and S with our first four picks I'd be pretty pissed.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

According to Pewter Report, the Bucs are also considering a (possibly 2) WR early. Not just because Evans is getting older and we are unclear how long or if Godwin is staying. Not just because they want to groom the next generation of receivers while learning from some of the best, (drawing a parallel to when Evans was drafted with VJ here) but because Liam Coen wants/needs Receivers (options) for his offence.

I honestly don't hate it but I really prefer we address the O-Line early with Barton or JPJ. We can't address all our needs in one draft, (guess it depends how many gems we find). To me the signing of Gregory whether we like it or not tells me the Bucs aren't looking at Edge in Round 1. That's why I say, hopefully Gregory can put off the need till next year or what have you.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Cheb wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:16 am
Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:42 pm They need to draft the best player available.
The optimist in me wants to agree with you, but if we for instance drafted a QB, TE, WR, and S with our first four picks I'd be pretty pissed.
I can understand the thinking of going WR/TE early (Liam Coen driven) but definitely not the other 2. Unless Trask is getting traded at the draft there is no need for a QB this year. No need to think about S for at least 2 years.

How would you feel going WR, WR(or TE), OL, CB?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

In free agency they’ve added average veteran depth at CB, iOL, and now OLB/EDGE. Those are the positions I see them targeting with the 4 top 100 “premium” picks trying to find above average starters.

Could also go iLB early as it’s our weakest position group, but it’s not a very good class.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Who's the veteran CB we added?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:37 am Who's the veteran CB we added?
Bryce Hall & Tavierre Thomas
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

CannonFire wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:52 am
Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:37 am Who's the veteran CB we added?
I forgot about Hall and completed missed on Thomas(I don't even know who he is).

CB should be high on the list.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I like Wiggins and he could be there. Don't care much for Kool-Aid. Doubt Arnold or Mitchell make it to 26.

The more I look at Edgerrin Cooper the more I like him. Could see him being the first pick if they were to back up into the 2nd round. 10 sacks last year from an inside LBer spot (Bowles will be drooling at that) with pretty good coverage skills. Elite athlete that needs to add some weight in the NFL.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Those prefering LB, Jeremiah Trotter Jr is one to consider. If he's anything like Dad, that'll be a huge win.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Central_Buc wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:52 am Those prefering LB, Jeremiah Trotter Jr is one to consider. If he's anything like Dad, that'll be a huge win.
They've definitely met with him. I'm sure he's on their radar.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:04 am
CannonFire wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:52 am

I forgot about Hall and completed missed on Thomas(I don't even know who he is).

CB should be high on the list.
I think most people are with you.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

For Corner it looks like they have Cooper DeJean or Nate Wiggins falling to us in RD1 and TJ Tampa might be the guy for RD2
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

I believe we need IOL, Edge, and CB most. These are where we're weakest. We're not "bad" anywhere else

As for the players to fill those spots?? Above my pay grade
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

10 days to go. I have read a bunch of predictions by the "experts." Most of the mock drafts have a lot of offensive linemen being selected before the Bucs pick. If the Bucs want to draft and Edge they will have to be lucky that someone like Verse drops to them. Not a lot of defensive linemen of LB's going in the first round.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I would like for the Jason Licht regime to just not draft another first round bust. Not counting Kancey for or against him, he's swung and missed 5 out of the other 7.

Correction... my bad, forgot his first pick was Evans. Though, he did trade out of the first to take Logan Hall at 33... so I guess that would kinda be missing 6 of the other 9.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Good players. At any position, for the most part.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:48 pm 10 days to go. I have read a bunch of predictions by the "experts." Most of the mock drafts have a lot of offensive linemen being selected before the Bucs pick. If the Bucs want to draft and Edge they will have to be lucky that someone like Verse drops to them. Not a lot of defensive linemen of LB's going in the first round.
If the good edges are gone and Barton and JPJ then I see them taking WR. Probably Polk out of Washington
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 pm I would like for the Jason Licht regime to just not draft another first round bust. Not counting Kancey for or against him, he's swung and missed 5 out of the other 7.

Correction... my bad, forgot his first pick was Evans. Though, he did trade out of the first to take Logan Hall at 33... so I guess that would kinda be missing 6 of the other 9.
How would you define bust?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:19 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:48 pm 10 days to go. I have read a bunch of predictions by the "experts." Most of the mock drafts have a lot of offensive linemen being selected before the Bucs pick. If the Bucs want to draft and Edge they will have to be lucky that someone like Verse drops to them. Not a lot of defensive linemen of LB's going in the first round.
If the good edges are gone and Barton and JPJ then I see them taking WR. Probably Polk out of Washington
At 26? Yikes.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Less than 1 percent chance we take a WR on day 1. I give it greater than 0% because we could swing a trade of Godwin, something I suggested 2 years ago but I disgress.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

It's not a immediate need, no but I've heard Coen likes to use more receiver sets than say an offense like Canales.

If a WR is BPA at 26, idk about the 1% less chance because they are considering taking one in this draft.

At the end of the day I hope its Barton or JPJ. I'll even take Latu..one of those 3.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:32 pm It's not a immediate need, no but I've heard Coen likes to use more receiver sets than say an offense like Canales.

If a WR is BPA at 26, idk about the 1% less chance because they are considering taking one in this draft.

At the end of the day I hope its Barton or JPJ. I'll even take Latu..one of those 3.
Gonna be very hard to do when your QB is getting pressured consistently because you can protect him.

WR is far down the list for numerous reasons
We have talent there being the main one. I hope it's OL as well.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:53 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:32 pm It's not a immediate need, no but I've heard Coen likes to use more receiver sets than say an offense like Canales.

Gonna be very hard to do when your QB is getting pressured consistently because you can protect him.

WR is far down the list for numerous reasons
We have talent there being the main one. I hope it's OL as well.
Agreed OL is our top need imo.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 pm I would like for the Jason Licht regime to just not draft another first round bust. Not counting Kancey for or against him, he's swung and missed 5 out of the other 7.

Players not good enough to warrant starting their entire rookie contract (with reasonable short term stint to catch up early on), not good enough to be on the roster the full contract, or getting an extension... and/or, already out of the league.

+ Winston was a bust because he should've been replaced, but wasn't... proof was that he signed a deal for $1M to be a backup the following year. He's still a backup 5 years later after leaving the Bucs.
+ Hargraves was released before his 4th year finished. He hasn't played a game since 2021.
+ O. J. Howard should've been replaced, but stayed all 5, wasting a roster spot and just allowed to walk. Out of football 1 year later.
+ Devin White had an excellent start, but fizzled out. He was never really all that good. It's why he signed a 1 yr meh contract with the Eagles
+ Joe Tryon-Shoyinka is a meh player who will not likely have his 5th year option picked up.
+ Logan Hall (pick 33, after a trade down out of the 1st), isn't anything special. I don't see him being on the roster after his 4th year.

Those are busts.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm

Players not good enough to warrant starting their entire rookie contract (with reasonable short term stint to catch up early on), not good enough to be on the roster the full contract, or getting an extension... and/or, already out of the league.

+ Winston was a bust because he should've been replaced, but wasn't... proof was that he signed a deal for $1M to be a backup the following year. He's still a backup 5 years later after leaving the Bucs.
+ Hargraves was released before his 4th year finished. He hasn't played a game since 2021.
+ O. J. Howard should've been replaced, but stayed all 5, wasting a roster spot and just allowed to walk. Out of football 1 year later.
+ Devin White had an excellent start, but fizzled out. He was never really all that good. It's why he signed a 1 yr meh contract with the Eagles
+ Joe Tryon-Shoyinka is a meh player who will not likely have his 5th year option picked up.
+ Logan Hall (pick 33, after a trade down out of the 1st), isn't anything special. I don't see him being on the roster after his 4th year.

Those are busts.
You know we were drafting a QB the year Jameis was drafted. Neither he nor Mariota that every pundit thought were the top prospects panned out. Pundits also lauded OJ Howard at the time. When you have sports journalists patting you on the back after draft day for your number one pick, then I feel they should not count against the GM. hindisight is 50/50. If everyone was shocked at the pick or even just meh, that's one thing. Both were considered good picks at the time. JTS was a reach as edge should not have been picked after the covid year. Even sure-fire Jaelan Phillips has been okay
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Biggest needs:

DE, IOL

Next biggest needs:

CB, TE, RB

Could be a need soon:

QB, WR, LB

Least of our worries at the moment:

S, IDL

And to that I say:

DE in the first, WR/CB/IOL in 2nd/3rd/3rd (any order), LB/RB/depth to follow the rest of the draft
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:15 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm

Those are busts.
You know we were drafting a QB the year Jameis was drafted. Neither he nor Mariota that every pundit thought were the top prospects panned out. Pundits also lauded OJ Howard at the time. When you have sports journalists patting you on the back after draft day for your number one pick, then I feel they should not count against the GM. hindisight is 50/50. If everyone was shocked at the pick or even just meh, that's one thing. Both were considered good picks at the time. JTS was a reach as edge should not have been picked after the covid year. Even sure-fire Jaelan Phillips has been okay
It’s kind of silly to say a bad pick isn’t on the GM. It’s literally their job. Early picks that don’t work out are on them. If Jameis or Mariota aren’t worth #1 you take someone else or trade the pick to someone who thinks they are.

I do think though that busts can be as much a part of environment, culture, coaching, etc., as it can the players.

Who’s to say Jameis doesn’t turn into Mahomes if he goes to Andy Reid instead of the coaching carousel here? We’ll never know.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:46 pm
I do think though that busts can be as much a part of environment, culture, coaching, etc., as it can the players.
While i do agree with this, I also think that Andy Reid wouldn't have gotten into Jameis's head enough. His personality is the reason he failed. He didn't get lasik even though the rumors were that the club was getting upset over his refusal due to him not wearing contacts "because they are uncomfortable wearing them in games." Between him not doing what was best for the team and what the team thought was best for him, he refused until we refused to re-sign him. Add to the fact that he was clearly immature, claimed he learned nothing about being a QB in 5 years here, check my stat sheet after the last pick 6, having Arians the last year who has no problem being in someone's face, being benched in year 4, etc.

I don't think he would have succeeded unless he had a Bill Parcells like coach that just rode his ass all the time until he did what he was told. Went off script? Bench. Refuse to wear contacts because you don't like the way they feel during a game? Bench. Not listening after year two? Draft a new QB, see if it motivates his ass. No? Bye
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

So the draft is almost a week away. Here's my answer, and it ain't surprising.

---

The biggest actual problem with the Buccaneers, in my opinion, is our shitty running game. Worst in the league for two seasons straight. Our offensive tackles are pretty good. But our interior trio were bad and have been for a long time because they are uniformly converted offensive tackles without the size or strength to win rushing reps against interior defenders who are much bigger and stronger than the ends they are used to. Were they losing us games, not directly, but certainly indirectly they made everyone's job harder.

All that to say, top priority is to add a new starting offensive guard or center to fix this consistent problem. Will it directly win us games, no, but indirectly it will make everyone's job easier if we can consistently win reps on the interior and raise our run game out of the gutter.

---

The biggest potential problem with the Buccaneers is our edge rush. We are relying on a trio of guys who are unreliable. Firstly we have JTS, who I think is largely and rightly considered another bad season from being a bust. Secondly we have Yaya, who was great as a rookie but who is as likely to have a sophomore slump as he is to break out into dominant play, probably more likely to do the former honestly. Thirdly we have Anthony Nelson, who is nothing special. Behind them, we have no one.

For as much press as the offense gets with Baker and Evans and Godwin, it's the defense that is a top 10 unit and imo is the engine that drives the team. The single biggest thing that WILL fuck us over if it goes wrong is if we don't fix the pass rush. There's a definite non-zero chance that the chips will land very badly with that unit and they combine for a total of like 10 sacks if that, in which case our defense will implode and shortly thereafter the team.

---

So yeah. Interior offensive line and edge rush. Other things and positions would be nice, but if we address those two spots in the first two days, I'd be pretty pleased.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:28 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:46 pm
While i do agree with this, I also think that Andy Reid wouldn't have gotten into Jameis's head enough. His personality is the reason he failed. He didn't get lasik even though the rumors were that the club was getting upset over his refusal due to him not wearing contacts "because they are uncomfortable wearing them in games." Between him not doing what was best for the team and what the team thought was best for him, he refused until we refused to re-sign him. Add to the fact that he was clearly immature, claimed he learned nothing about being a QB in 5 years here, check my stat sheet after the last pick 6, having Arians the last year who has no problem being in someone's face, being benched in year 4, etc.

I don't think he would have succeeded unless he had a Bill Parcells like coach that just rode his ass all the time until he did what he was told. Went off script? Bench. Refuse to wear contacts because you don't like the way they feel during a game? Bench. Not listening after year two? Draft a new QB, see if it motivates his ass. No? Bye
Isn’t that what I posted though? That’s my point.

He needed someone who could get through to him. Motivate him. And also have the benefit of patience.

The Lovie Smith era was a disaster. Then Koetter running 10 running plays in a row to start a game to basically embarrass him. Then Arians playing chuck and duck with a QB known for INTs and wondering why he threw 30 INTs.

We took him #1. Gave him the reigns. And said save our sinking ship. Then got upset when he struggled. It’s as much the organizations fault as it was Jameis.

Had he gone to a great organization in the teens and been able to sit for a year or two maybe his career is different?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

https://stathead.com/tiny/sXOHT?&utm_me ... NS4wLjAuMA..

Last thing about this. Compare the stats for the first two players on that list. One was given up on. One got committed to. Just interesting to me how different the careers arcs of those two players ended up when they had practically identical statistics their first 5 seasons.