***Official Free Agency Thread***

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: ***Official Free Agency Thread***

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:23 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:21 am

We've seen Josh Allen without Diggs. It ain't pretty. But I'm sure he'd do work with Evans and Godwin.
I was thinking he meant the Jaguars' Josh Allen, because it wouldn't have made much sense otherwise.
:lol: :lol: Maybe so lol. I don't think he was talk literally though. Buffalo isn't even thinking about trading Josh Allen. He probably meant if he were available and we went after him, we'd be instant contenders.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:32 am I guess theyll be going WR in the first anyway
The teams behind them that want a WR would be good trade partners for us if we want to move back. They'll want to get in front of the Bills to take their guy.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:22 am Dang. Texans building something great and then go and do something dumb like that to absolutely ruin it. Adding a me first diva WR on the downside of his career? Why?
Because that me first diva can still play at a very high level. 107 catches, 1183 yards, 8 TDs. Pretending that he doesn't produce on the field doesn't make you any smarter.

And I've always felt that the personal stuff bothers fans more than it does players. Houston is building around their young QB. This now allows them to attack another position in the draft to get better overall.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:40 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:22 am Dang. Texans building something great and then go and do something dumb like that to absolutely ruin it. Adding a me first diva WR on the downside of his career? Why?
Because that me first diva can still play at a very high level. 107 catches, 1183 yards, 8 TDs. Pretending that he doesn't produce on the field doesn't make you any smarter.

And I've always felt that the personal stuff bothers fans more than it does players. Houston is building around their young QB. This now allows them to attack another position in the draft to get better overall.
I think it's a great move for both teams. Diggs is great at first, but obviously has a real impact on the locker room. Players from Minn and Buff have said as much. He's always fighting with QBs.

Super high contract, didn't get along with Allen, their offense improved when they didn't feature him as much, on paper the best WR draft in my 10 years ...all that being said, he's still insanely talented and can help Houston for the next 2 years until he potentially poisons things again.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Could’ve just signed Mike Evans?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:54 am

I think it's a great move for both teams. Diggs is great at first, but obviously has a real impact on the locker room. Players from Minn and Buff have said as much. He's always fighting with QBs.

Super high contract, didn't get along with Allen, their offense improved when they didn't feature him as much, on paper the best WR draft in my 10 years ...all that being said, he's still insanely talented and can help Houston for the next 2 years until he potentially poisons things again.
Houston is hitting the ground running to maximize their window with Stroud on a rookie contract. 1st Mixon and now Diggs. They compliment their young skills players like Dell, Collins, Schultz very well. Now they can use the draft to add more pieces for Ryans’ defense.

I like what they are building in Houston. They didn’t just sit on what Stroud did. Often times young QBs arent supported in this way.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:06 pm Could’ve just signed Mike Evans?
I truly believe that had Evans hit FA Houston would’ve made a very generous offer.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:09 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:54 am

Houston is hitting the ground running to maximize their window with Stroud on a rookie contract. 1st Mixon and now Diggs. They compliment their young skills players like Dell, Collins, Schultz very well. Now they can use the draft to add more pieces for Ryans’ defense.

I like what they are building in Houston. They didn’t just sit on what Stroud did. Often times young QBs arent supported in this way.
Completely agree.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

@uscbucsfan1 in terms of Diggs contract, this year fully guaranteed on March 17th. The next 3 years there is only $3.5mil in guarantees left total. So they aren't really stuck with him long term if they don't want to be.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:17 pm @uscbucsfan1 in terms of Diggs contract, this year fully guaranteed on March 17th. The next 3 years there is only $3.5mil in guarantees left total. So they aren't really stuck with him long term if they don't want to be.
Only a second rounder, and they gave up two picks with Diggs? Who is the Bills gm, Licht?!?!?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:17 pm @uscbucsfan1 in terms of Diggs contract, this year fully guaranteed on March 17th. The next 3 years there is only $3.5mil in guarantees left total. So they aren't really stuck with him long term if they don't want to be.

Bingo. Its a great deal for both teams.

While a stacked class, especially at WR, its still a crapshoot your guy hits. Diggs is a far more known and established commodity on hand, day 1.

Diggs is likely in his mercenary years, ala AB and OBJ. He doesn't need to be anywhere a long time, a loyal time, or anything like that. You bring him in make catches in the postseason and put you over the top.

Meanwhile its clear Diggs has worn out his stay in Buffalo. Nabbing a 2nd rounder in this class is a great fetch for sour fruit. They are keeping Allen, and now he'll have 5 years with a top talented WR. If they get lucky that opens up the window all over again. While the rookie QB cheat is still the most preferred, cheap WR ain't far behind if they're a true stud.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:53 pm

Bingo. Its a great deal for both teams.

While a stacked class, especially at WR, its still a crapshoot your guy hits. Diggs is a far more known and established commodity on hand, day 1.

Diggs is likely in his mercenary years, ala AB and OBJ. He doesn't need to be anywhere a long time, a loyal time, or anything like that. You bring him in make catches in the postseason and put you over the top.

Meanwhile its clear Diggs has worn out his stay in Buffalo. Nabbing a 2nd rounder in this class is a great fetch for sour fruit. They are keeping Allen, and now he'll have 5 years with a top talented WR. If they get lucky that opens up the window all over again. While the rookie QB cheat is still the most preferred, cheap WR ain't far behind if they're a true stud.
Well said.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Isn't that what the Bills thought when they traded for him? Yeah, he's talented. He's productive. But, he also cares more about himself and his numbers than whether or not that's what's best for the team winning. That is toxic and it negatively impacts culture. And it's not just fans. Two actual real NFL franchises have now traded him in his prime.

I'm pretty sure the self-anointed wisest one on these boards once told me you never let a great WR leave. Hmm? Maybe that's only true sometimes when it fits the arbitrary argument you feel like having that particular day?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:57 pm

Isn't that what the Bills thought when they traded for him? Yeah, he's talented. He's productive. But, he also cares more about himself and his numbers than whether or not that's what's best for the team winning. That is toxic and it negatively impacts culture. And it's not just fans. Two actual real NFL franchises have now traded him in his prime.

I'm pretty sure the self-anointed wisest one on these boards once told me you never let a great WR leave. Hmm? Maybe that's only true sometimes when it fits the arbitrary argument you feel like having that particular day?
Wait, so now 30 year old receivers are still in their prime? Make up your mind there. I thought they were on the decline then.

Also, how has it hurt Buffalo? They've won their division each year Diggs has been there. Are you saying they haven't won the Superbowl because of Diggs? If the negative impact isn't felt on the field then it's quite irrelevant and basically the equivalent to crocodile tears.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:07 pm

Wait, so now 30 year old receivers are still in their prime? Make up your mind there. I thought they were on the decline then.

Also, how has it hurt Buffalo? They've won their division each year Diggs has been there. Are you saying they haven't won the Superbowl because of Diggs? If the negative impact isn't felt on the field then it's quite irrelevant and basically the equivalent to crocodile tears.
Don't know what anyone's definition of "Prime Years" is, but this claims that it's 23-30 (but that's for fantasy football - not that it's a 1:1 correlation, but it's close).
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:07 pm

I said he’s on the decline in my first post.

But, fair enough. Ya got me!
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

A bit surprising given the Texans have two stud WRs, one of the best 1-2 combos in the NFL in Collins and Dell. This also signals that the Bills see this as an extremely deep WR class and can go after a guy like Brian Thomas, Xavier Worthy, or Adonai Mitchell in Rd. 1 to replace Diggs, which I don't blame them for.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Good move for both teams IMO. Diggs goes to a contender, and they keep him as long as they want with the guaranteed money not being an issue (though they do have to pay Nico next offseason). Now they can focus their draft efforts on defense, mainly need a CB2 and DT for Ryans to play with.

Bills are doing a soft re-tool year and unloading some big contracts. Von will likely be off the books next year. Allen is only 27, their window is definitely not closed. See what you have this year then get aggressive again next offseason with much more cap space.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kona wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:57 pm Good move for both teams IMO. Diggs goes to a contender, and they keep him as long as they want with the guaranteed money not being an issue (though they do have to pay Nico next offseason). Now they can focus their draft efforts on defense, mainly need a CB2 and DT for Ryans to play with.

Bills are doing a soft re-tool year and unloading some big contracts. Von will likely be off the books next year. Allen is only 27, their window is definitely not closed. See what you have this year then get aggressive again next offseason with much more cap space.
Chiefs have made it work fine with a top QB and mostly just a guys on offense.

Maybe the Bills are changing their identity? Airing it out in Buffalo may not be the smartest way to go.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:16 pm
Kona wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:57 pm Good move for both teams IMO. Diggs goes to a contender, and they keep him as long as they want with the guaranteed money not being an issue (though they do have to pay Nico next offseason). Now they can focus their draft efforts on defense, mainly need a CB2 and DT for Ryans to play with.

Maybe the Bills are changing their identity? Airing it out in Buffalo may not be the smartest way to go.
You were partially right in saying the Bills went away from Diggs late in the season. In reality they went away from the pass game for the most part and became a running team. Most of this was because of numerous turnovers from Josh.

They moved on from their top 2 WRs this year. That's not a coincidence.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Or they just want to get younger at the position. There are great WRs in this years draft. If you asked me if I’d rather have a disgruntled and declining 30-year old Stephon Diggs or a 22-year old Brian Thomas, give me Thomas plus some extra draft capital while Diggs still has value.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:09 pm

Or they just want to get younger at the position. There are great WRs in this years draft. If you asked me if I’d rather have a disgruntled and declining 30-year old Stephon Diggs or a 22-year old Brian Thomas, give me Thomas plus some extra draft capital while Diggs still has value.
That too. But, the disgruntled part is why he’s being moved. You don’t just ditch 1,000 yard vet WRs for 2nd round picks a year from now just to get younger. They could do that and keep Diggs. He’s being traded because he’s a pain in the ass.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:32 pm
Navybuc wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:09 pm

That too. But, the disgruntled part is why he’s being moved. You don’t just ditch 1,000 yard vet WRs for 2nd round picks a year from now just to get younger. They could do that and keep Diggs. He’s being traded because he’s a pain in the ass.
He’s been that for a couple of years. I think now they realize that his best days are officially behind him and they can actually maximize their return. Do this a year from now and they may not get a 3rd or a 4th.

Said this in another thread but I’m surprised he went to Houston. They already have arguably one of the best 1-2 combo in the NFL in Collins and Dell. If I were Dell, I’d be a bit confused. You’d think they’d bring in a #3 WR. Diggs obviously not going to Houston and expecting to be a #3.
Last edited by Navybuc on Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:54 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:32 pm

He’s been that for a couple of years. I think now they realize that his best days are officially behind him and they can actually maximize their return. Do this a year from now and they may not get a 3rd or a 4th.

Said this in another thread but I’m surprised he went to Houston. They already have arguably the best 1-2 combo in the NFL in Collins and Dell. If I were Dell, I’d be a bit confused. You’d think they’d bring in a #3 WR. Diggs obviously not going to Houston and expecting to be a #3.
Break your leg and get demoted to #3 WR is the lesson Dell got
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I'm also confused by the Diggs trade even though it makes the Texans better. They re-signed their TE and already have Collins and Dell, both of whom look like could be turning into superstars from this season onwards. Texans have the luxury of having a young core that is going to cost them peanuts on offense. They should have drafted another high ceiling WR in 2nd or 3rd.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Jonny wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:01 pm I'm also confused by the Diggs trade even though it makes the Texans better. They re-signed their TE and already have Collins and Dell, both of whom look like could be turning into superstars from this season onwards. Texans have the luxury of having a young core that is going to cost them peanuts on offense. They should have drafted another high ceiling WR in 2nd or 3rd.
Tickets. $$. Get a big name and people come to the stadium and talk about you in April?
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Jonny wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:01 pm I'm also confused by the Diggs trade even though it makes the Texans better. They re-signed their TE and already have Collins and Dell, both of whom look like could be turning into superstars from this season onwards. Texans have the luxury of having a young core that is going to cost them peanuts on offense. They should have drafted another high ceiling WR in 2nd or 3rd.
Maybe they saw how things worked for us with mike, chris, ab, and gronk. Having a team stacked like that means there will ALWAYS be someone open, all the qb has to do is find'em and hit'em.

Also in todays NFL it is possible to have 3 1k receivers at once, so maybe Diggs isnt too worried about his numbers because hes expecting to get his even as a 3rd option.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

BJJ34 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:10 pm
Tickets. $$. Get a big name and people come to the stadium and talk about you in April?
In 2023, the Houston Texans recorded an average home attendance of 71,193 spectators. This figure represents the average number of fans who attended each game held at the team's home stadium during the regular season
Construction was completed in 2002, at a cost of $352 million and has a seating capacity of 72,220.
Sounds like they were sold out, and not all the fans attended. Definitely was not for ticket sales
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Anyone saying Collins & Dell were the #1 WR duo in football is trolling. Convince me that duo was better than duos like Hill & Waddle, Deebo & Aiyuk, Evans & Godwin, Kupp & Puka, AJ Brown & Smith.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:41 pm Anyone saying Collins & Dell were the #1 WR duo in football is trolling. Convince me that duo was better than duos like Hill & Waddle, Deebo & Aiyuk, Evans & Godwin, Kupp & Puka, AJ Brown & Smith.
I didn't get that impression from posts, only that they have two young talented WRs on their team. I don't think anyone in here was implying they were a top 10 much less top 5 tandem
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Assuming Diggs isn't washed, because he certainly looked it at times, then he really rounds out the receiving corp for Texans. Dell can feast in the slot with Collins and Diggs taking up tons of attention on the perimeter.

Hopefully he works out for them. Texans are looking kind of scary ....
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:11 pm Assuming Diggs isn't washed, because he certainly looked it at times, then he really rounds out the receiving corp for Texans. Dell can feast in the slot with Collins and Diggs taking up tons of attention on the perimeter.

Hopefully he works out for them. Texans are looking kind of scary ....
Throw in Mixon in the backfield, they look very scary. If that defense can take a step forward, watch out.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

So thankful we have Evans and Godwin. Have you taken a look at Buffalo's wide receiver depth chart? I've never heard of them.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Y'all do remember we added AB when we had Evans and Godwin.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You must be joking if Bucs fans will ever forget this.

Diggs is not comparable to Antonio Brown, if that's what you're implying.