Youth Sports

Buc2

Youth Sports

Post by Buc2 »

Many of us have witnessed the bad behavior displayed by adults at youth sporting events. It's not just the parents/spectators anymore. The state of youth sports is eroding before our very eyes.

Brawl involving Cam Newton another reminder that adults too often ruin youth sports
Sunday’s brawl involved the 34-year-old Newton and at least two other coaches. Those coaches were from TSP (TopShelf Performance), a national 18U 7-on-7 football program, a source told The Athletic. At the end of one video of the fight, as noted by The Sporting News, Newton yells to someone, "I got something for you" off camera, implying more violence.
Don't tread on me
Noles1724

Re: Youth Sports

Post by Noles1724 »

I coach youth football along with 7v7 (the event this clip is from) and shit does get wild. The 7v7 events are like the wild west. Typically 2 days, 6+ hours and a TON of shit talking from the kids, which originates from the parents/coaches.

I remember one event we were at, our team was on a 'bye' so we were watching two other teams compete. A DB/WR line up 3 feet from where I was standing on the sideline.. the ball is snapped and the DB in press coverage slaps the kid in the face as his 'jam' technique. Ref didn't call anything and I told the ref if he does that to my kids I'm going to lose my shit.

The 7v7 events are extremely ratchet with alpha males clashing with each other all day long. I'm not surprised by this clip in the least bit. These events are taken way too seriously as cheating (questionable refs) and age fibbing is the norm. All to win a trophy that means nothing and translates to nothing.

The mood for these events are set as soon as you walk into the venue. Kids following coaches pulling a wagon with a stereo blasting music that every other word is N this N that.. or pussy this pussy that. When we first started attending these things I was uneasy for my son/kids as it's just a very hostile environment.

All that said, the talent at these events is out of this world.

Best memory was our first tournament ever.. a bunch of white kids, undersized and quiet, shocked a Chris Leak coached team that was STACKED to knock them out of the tourney. Chris Leak didn't even shake our hands afterwords. Great leadership to display for your kids. Shouldn't be surprised seeing how he's UF.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

@Noles1724, reading this from someone that actually has lived this stuff is really eye-opening and drives the point of that article home. Thanks for that first-person account.
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

If you allow your 11 year old to play tackle football, you’re a selfish retard.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:23 am If you allow your 11 year old to play tackle football, you’re a selfish retard.
Huh?
Don't tread on me