Will Devin White be a Buccaneer next season?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will Devin White be a Buc, or play for another team in week 1?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:15 pm

He will be a Buc
No votes
He won’t be a Buc
100%

Total votes: 22

Snake

Will Devin White be a Buccaneer next season?

Post by Snake »

Well?
uscbucsfan1

Re: Will Devin White be a Buccaneer next season?

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Hope not, unless it's a super cheap deal.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:53 pm Hope not, unless it's a super cheap deal.
Yep, same feeling I have about him.
Snake

Post by Snake »

If David retires and White moves on, that’ll be an interesting position going forward. Those guys played like 99% of the snaps at times the last few years.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:53 pm Hope not, unless it's a super cheap deal.
Him just being on the team will incentivize Bowles to put him in the game. So I don't care if it's cheap
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

My guess is Dallas will sign him.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:00 pm
Him just being on the team will incentivize Bowles to put him in the game. So I don't care if it's cheap
Maybe.

He was benched at the end of the year.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:01 pm My guess is Dallas will sign him.
They play a 4-2-5 where Markquese Bell comes down to play the Mike? Is it because you think that Mike Zimmer will want a traditional MLB? And if so why White?
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:10 pm
They play a 4-2-5 where Markquese Bell comes down to play the Mike? Is it because you think that Mike Zimmer will want a traditional MLB? And if so why White?
I've seen Dallas fans suggest they just use him as a pass rusher.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:11 pm

Isn't that one of the best parts of Parson's game? Just seems unneeded
Snake

Post by Snake »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:10 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:11 pm

White is an animal shooting the A gap. He doesn’t have the physical attributes or the technique to be rushed everywhere tho.

He’s an interesting chess piece if you deploy him properly. If not a little predictable.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 pm
kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:10 pm

White is an animal shooting the A gap. He doesn’t have the physical attributes or the technique to be rushed everywhere tho.

He’s an interesting chess piece if you deploy him properly. If not a little predictable.
He is on delayed blitzes. Is he standing up at the line or does he rely on that A gap opening up?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

In the playoffs against Detroit, Devin White played less than 20% of defensive snaps.

We have expensive dudes to pay, and Devin ain't gonna be one of them. I wish him best in his future endeavors.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Devin is the perfect Cowboy. All flash. No substance. And he literally already is one. 🤠
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Some team will pay him and probably move him from ILB to edge.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I don't know if he will or not. All I know is we'd better have a contingency in place. And no it ain't KJ Britt.

@Cheb mentioned how DW played less than 20% of snaps vs Detroit. Britt got those snaps and the Lions exploited that. Britt had by far the worst game that he's started.
Most hated man in America.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:06 am I don't know if he will or not. All I know is we'd better have a contingency in place. And no it ain't KJ Britt.

@Cheb mentioned how DW played less than 20% of snaps vs Detroit. Britt got those snaps and the Lions exploited that. Britt had by far the worst game that he's started.
KJ Britt was a massive upgrade to White on the field last season. The Detriot game wasn't good for him, but it wasn't for White when he was in, either.

Britt is and will be an upgrade to White.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:04 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:06 am I don't know if he will or not. All I know is we'd better have a contingency in place. And no it ain't KJ Britt.

KJ Britt was a massive upgrade to White on the field last season. The Detriot game wasn't good for him, but it wasn't for White when he was in, either.

Not really..Britt is a liability in coverage and completely useless as a blitzer.

DW at his best was a difference maker.
Britt at his best is JAG, maybe more.

OBP needs to get better if they want to take the next step on defense. He ain't it.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:04 am

Is it Britt's willingness to follow what is being coached
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Raise your hand if you would sign KJ Britt to what Devin White was asking for.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:35 am Raise your hand if you would sign KJ Britt to what Devin White was asking for.
No one would sign LVD to what White was asking for. He wanted more than Roquan or any LB in the NFL. How is this relevant?

It doesn't mean Britt isn't the better player. Britt is and was better than White. I'm not sure there is any debating that.

Does that mean Britt is a star? Absolutely not, but having him means it's not a necessity to upgrade the LB spot.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:50 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:35 am Raise your hand if you would sign KJ Britt to what Devin White was asking for.
Does that mean Britt is a star? Absolutely not, but having him means it's not a necessity to upgrade the LB spot.

That's where we strongly disagree. You absolutely upgrade from a player who on his best day would be top 40 at the position. We don't necessarily need a star, but we need a guy who has the potential to make plays. Britt doesn't do that. He'll make tackles down the field but he's not a consistent force. That Lions game was a sign of things to come. They picked out the weak link and kept abusing it.

It should be noted that late in that game, DW replaced Britt on the field. I highly doubt OBP goes into 2024 with Britt penciled into a starting role.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Bootz Name and what round
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Why would Devin White want to stay after he got benched several games? :roll:
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I before team is a problem,
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:14 am Why would Devin White want to stay after he got benched several games? :roll:
No man, he was “hurt.”
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:11 am @Bootz Name and what round
I'd look at free agency. Patrick Queen, Frankie Luvu. My favorite might be Al-Shaair. He had a similar story to Shaq Barrett. Sat behind All-World types in ( Warner & Greenlaw) before going to Tennessee and making an impact.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I voted 'no' but, honestly, he may very well be brought back solely because there isn't anyone better at his position on the roster right now (sorry, Britt, but that includes you). And, since he's a free agent himself, they might not want to chance that they can find his replacement in free agency or the draft.
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:32 am

Devin is the perfect Cowboy. All flash. No substance. And he literally already is one. 🤠
Pretty much this. Or, he could always come home to the Saints.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

I'm really shocked that anyone would say White was better than Britt this year. Not only was it talked about throughout the games here, about the defense being better/more sound with Britt in the game, White was benched for Britt and only brought back in on pure pass plays against Detriot, but basically every publication/advanced metric had Britt being the better player in almost every snap, even when Britt struggled against Detriot, it wasn't White level bad.

Sure, there are absolutely upgrades to both. Again, Britt is super average as a LB, below average against the pass, but White is bad in both and without his pass rushing/pass rushing threat, he's terrible at football, but an athletic freak.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:54 pm I'm really shocked that anyone would say White was better than Britt this year. Not only was it talked about throughout the games here, about the defense being better/more sound with Britt in the game, White was benched for Britt and only brought back in on pure pass plays against Detriot, but basically every publication/advanced metric had Britt being the better player in almost every snap, even when Britt struggled against Detriot, it wasn't White level bad.

Sure, there are absolutely upgrades to both. Again, Britt is super average as a LB, below average against the pass, but White is bad in both and without his pass rushing/pass rushing threat, he's terrible at football, but an athletic freak.
That's because we've seen KJ Britt at his best and Devin White at his best. No one is going to make a valid case that KJ Britt at his best is better than Devin White.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:14 pm
That's because we've seen KJ Britt at his best and Devin White at his best. No one is going to make a valid case that KJ Britt at his best is better than Devin White.
Devin White at his best consist of a run in the playoffs 3+ years ago and a single game last year.

The rest of the time White is the worse player than Britt. The defense played better with Britt than White.

That's like saying you would rather have Nick Foles over Baker or Cousins, because Foles peak was so much better.

Again, this isn't some crazy opinion. The coaching staff, other fans, advanced analytics, and sports writers agree with me.
Last edited by uscbucsfan1 on Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:20 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:14 pm
Devin White at his best consist of a run in the playoffs 3+ years ago and a single game last year.

The rest of the time White is the worse player than Britt. The defense played better with Britt than White.

That's like saying you would rather have Nick Foles over Baker or Cousins, because Foles peak was so much better.
In this case Foles would be Britt, since he took over for a starter.....And I would rather have Baker or Cousins than Foles.

Make a case for Britt that goes beyond he's better than Devin White.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:23 pm

In this case Foles would be Britt, since he took over for a starter.....And I would rather have Baker or Cousins than Foles.

No... You can't just reframe the analogy.

The example of Foles is that he's a bad QB that had a magical run. White is a bad LB that had a magical run.

Britt isn't great, but the team around him did better when he played and he was a replacement to White. Do we want to commit to him long term? Debatable, but I'd pick him over White every day of the week.

Devin White is one of the bottom 5 LB in the NFL who flashes talent of a top 10 LB...rarely. He was benched because of this.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:23 pm

He's dirt cheap.

So he's the better player and he's cheaper.

I get if you don't want to run with him, but to say you'd want to re-sign White because Britt isn't the guy is crazy.

He's verifiably better than White...and cheaper. If you don't like either, there are other options.