Justin Fields: Shittsburgh Steeler

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Justin Fields: Shittsburgh Steeler

Post by Snake »

The insiders and oddsmakers are pointing to Caleb Williams going #1 overall. (As we've known for some time).

Adam Schefter is now saying the Bears will get at least a second round pick for Fields. Potentially a first.
► Show Spoiler
Where do you think he lands? He's been pretty horrific as a passer. His running ability is phenomenal. He has a great arm. Processing the field, eh not so great (which I pointed out in detail during his college career).
Last edited by Snake on Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
acmillis

Re: Where will Justin Fields land?

Post by acmillis »

Hopefully in the NFCS, just not Tampa.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

My money would be on Atlanta.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I think a spot to watch might be the Rams. McVay and company could have an eye towards the future. Stafford is 36 and despite winning the SB a couple years ago he still looks like Detroit Matt Stafford.

McVay isn't really a QB guru but he believes he is. I could see him believing he can sit Fields for a season or 2, mold him, and the put him on the field in the future.
Most hated man in America.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:51 pm My money would be on Atlanta.
Atlanta makes sense. I imagine they may go after Russell Wilson first though.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:53 pm I think a spot to watch might be the Rams. McVay and company could have an eye towards the future. Stafford is 36 and despite winning the SB a couple years ago he still looks like Detroit Matt Stafford.

McVay isn't really a QB guru but he believes he is. I could see him believing he can sit Fields for a season or 2, mold him, and the put him on the field in the future.
Wouldn't they have to pick up his 5th year before free agency for 2 years?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Chicago, Seahawks or Falcons
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:11 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:53 pm I think a spot to watch might be the Rams. McVay and company could have an eye towards the future. Stafford is 36 and despite winning the SB a couple years ago he still looks like Detroit Matt Stafford.

His option must be picked up this off-season. Deadline is May 2nd.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Still may end up back with Chicago. I think the Bears don’t even know…they need to see how Williams, Maye and Daniels look in workouts and make their decision.

I wouldn’t look too much into that “historic compensation” article. That’s just their way of setting a high starting mark.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Still not buying they move on from him. Trade down one. Get a haul and the best player.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:51 pm Still not buying they move on from him. Trade down one. Get a haul and the best player.
Marvin Harrison Jr.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yup
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It would just be so Bears to trade the #1 pick two years in a row and keep Fields. :lol:

Idiotic.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:56 pm Still may end up back with Chicago. I think the Bears don’t even know…they need to see how Williams, Maye and Daniels look in workouts and make their decision.

I wouldn’t look too much into that “historic compensation” article. That’s just their way of setting a high starting mark.
I can get on board with interviews. How they respond to questions. But, workouts? They have years of game tape on these guys. I don’t think it matters much how they look throwing the ball against air in shorts.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Add Pittsburgh to the list.
According to NFL insider Adam Schefter, the Pittsburgh Steelers are looking to add a QB, and Mike Tomlin is "a big fan" of Justin Fields.

Via The Pat McAfee Show.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:32 am
Navybuc wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:56 pm Still may end up back with Chicago. I think the Bears don’t even know…they need to see how Williams, Maye and Daniels look in workouts and make their decision.

I can get on board with interviews. How they respond to questions. But, workouts? They have years of game tape on these guys. I don’t think it matters much how they look throwing the ball against air in shorts.
Yet QB needy teams show up at pro workouts at all these schools...
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:07 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:32 am

Of course they do.

Let me ask you. If a team has Caleb Williams ranked significantly higher than Drake Maye do you really think a team will change that evaluation based on how Maye looks in a Post-season workout moving around against a fat guy holding a broomstick?
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I’m a Fields believer. Apparently the Steelers are gonna make a move for him, Tomlin loves him and they brought in Arthur Smith who’s offence fits his playstyle (Tannehill was a Pro Bowler under Smith).
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:21 pm

Of course they do.

Let me ask you. If a team has Caleb Williams ranked significantly higher than Drake Maye do you really think a team will change that evaluation based on how Maye looks in a Post-season workout moving around against a fat guy holding a broomstick?
Significantly? No, but I really don't think Williams is significantly better quarterback and I am not many front offices say the same. Everything I see articles "contacted [x] GMs" it's pretty split between them. We are not talking the Luck-RG3 draft where 100% everyone was certain Luck was the better QB.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:46 pm

Of course they do.

Significantly? No, but I really don't think Williams is significantly better quarterback and I am not many front offices say the same. Everything I see articles "contacted [x] GMs" it's pretty split between them. We are not talking the Luck-RG3 draft where 100% everyone was certain Luck was the better QB.
It was a hypothetical based on the post you replied to. Never mind.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Of course they do.

Where have you seen that?

Dan Patrick said it was 80/20 for Williams and most of the 20% for Maye were worried about Williams' attitude.

Seems very much like Luck/RG3 at this point.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:00 pm

In what I replied to initially, you didn't quantify how the teams felt. In your reply, you changed the narrative, and you tell me nevermind?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:01 pm

Where have you seen that?

Dan Patrick said it was 80/20 for Williams and most of the 20% for Maye were worried about Williams' attitude.

Seems very much like Luck/RG3 at this point.
No one is questioning pure talent, the knock on him that I read from GMs was that he too often plays without anticipation in his throws
Snake

Post by Snake »

Caleb was awfully productive (9.4 yards per attempt) with minimal turnovers (14 INTs in 735 passing attempts). And that’s not even ruling out if any of those INT’s were bullshit. dropped passes by teammates, Hail Marys, etc..

Protecting his statistics is not out of the question. Waiting for guys to get wide open before throwing the ball, is also not out of the question. It’s possible this is happening and he lacks anticipation. I just haven’t delved in deep enough to verify that claim for myself.

Drake Maye is also a guy I haven’t really paid attention to. People are saying he’s the bees knees. It’s possible that he’s a better pro than Caleb. He’s got prototypical size. Super athletic. Compares to Justin Herbert evidently.

Fun times.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:35 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:00 pm

In what I replied to initially, you didn't quantify how the teams felt. In your reply, you changed the narrative, and you tell me nevermind?
You want me to QUANTIFY how a team feels?!
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Phantom wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:19 pm Add Pittsburgh to the list.
According to NFL insider Adam Schefter, the Pittsburgh Steelers are looking to add a QB, and Mike Tomlin is "a big fan" of Justin Fields.

Via The Pat McAfee Show.
This could be a reporter, including NFL insider Adam Schefter, asking Tomlin "are you a fan of Justin Fields?" and his response being "I'm a big fan of Justin Fields". A comment that probably means absolutely nothing unless you want him to say "big fan??? u kiddin? he succcckkkks"
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Four Verticals wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:53 pm
Phantom wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:19 pm Add Pittsburgh to the list.

This could be a reporter, including NFL insider Adam Schefter, asking Tomlin "are you a fan of Justin Fields?" and his response being "I'm a big fan of Justin Fields". A comment that probably means absolutely nothing unless you want him to say "big fan??? u kiddin? he succcckkkks"
Tomlin was in love with Fields his draft year, this is well known.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

A first round pick for Fields is ridiculous. The guy has been a subpar passer who leaves points on the field and the type that will get his OCs and HCs fired. His athleticism is special and enticing, but he's the ultimate tease. He's essentially Theranos of QBing.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:20 am It would just be so Bears to trade the #1 pick two years in a row and keep Fields. :lol:

Idiotic.
Those in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones. We had Dilfer for 6 years, Freeman for 4+, and Winston for 5. Our only good QB's were old free agent/short term, signings. Statistically speaking, Winston is the best QB we ever drafted. Simply, we have no right to be laughing at anyone.

The Bears got DJ Moore, Darnell Wright (rated by PFF as the 3rd best rookie OT from this season), Tyrique Stevenson (who was chosen as the teams rookie of the year), and still have the #1 pick this year, a 4th (from the Eagles), this year, and a 2nd round pick next year from the Panthers next year. After 9 months, I'm thinking that deal worked out GREAT for the Bears, considering that the pick probably would've been Bryce Young.
Last edited by CannonFire on Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:20 am It would just be so Bears to trade the #1 pick two years in a row and keep Fields. :lol:

Idiotic.
That would have validity if they had earned the #1 pick 2 years straight. They didn't.

Poles & Eberflus have a huge decision to make. As we've seen having a rookie QB is no guarantee to keep you around if things don't go well.

What you'd be banking on is a rookie getting you more than the 7 wins you got this season with Fields. Is that guy in this draft? We don't know.
Most hated man in America.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Of course they do.

Preparedness and attitudes towards the work-out could definitely impact their overall evaluation.

If I’m investing a pick (especially a high one) in a position known to have a high bust rate regardless of college performance, I’d be using every piece of information available to me to help in my evaluation.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:11 pm

They would, but based on his past performance, he is not going to command much in free agency.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Of course they do.

Teams do it because it justifies their personnel's existence and it beats sitting around the team facility staring at each other.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:51 am

Idiotic.
That would have validity if they had earned the #1 pick 2 years straight. They didn't.

Poles & Eberflus have a huge decision to make. As we've seen having a rookie QB is no guarantee to keep you around if things don't go well.

What you'd be banking on is a rookie getting you more than the 7 wins you got this season with Fields. Is that guy in this draft? We don't know.
Yeah. He almost led them out of the top 10 this year.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:56 pm

Of course they do.

Teams do it because it justifies their personnel's existence and it beats sitting around the team facility staring at each other.
I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with the process. Just that a pro day workout in shorts doesn’t move the needle as much as fans and media want to make it out to.