Cheb's Early Mock Draft (with highlights)

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Cheb

Cheb's Early Mock Draft (with highlights)

Post by Cheb »

It's mock season around here, and in the interest of driving discussion here's another one. Not my super in-depth one that I do every spring, but enough to get discussion going around here and bring up some guys I think will be pretty good.

First round selection - 26th overall, Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami. 6'0", 205lb. Arguably the best safety in the draft, a day one starter at strong safety, which I would argue is our biggest defensive hole and has been ever since Jordan Whitehead went to the Jets. Kinchens shows talent and willingness against the run and he is a ballhawk with great instincts against the pass, AND he has the positional measurables you want. What more can you ask for?

Second round - #57 overall - Jonah Elliss, Edge, Utah. 6'2", 246lb. If this guy were three inches taller and/or didn't play in a garbage conference on a team that nobody saw, he would be a first rounder. Just watch him rush the passer.

Third round - #89 overall - Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan. 6'6", 322lb. Zinter is a first-team All-American who will everyone thinks will drop to the third round, and we would benefit. Dude's a mauler in the run game and a day one starter between Wirfs and Hainsey at left guard.

Fourth round - #126 overall - Ray Davis, RB, Kentucky. 5'10", 216lb. He plays bigger than his size and our new OC was his college OC. This is commonly mocked to us and for good reason. Day one he becomes RB2 behind White and will keep him fresh.

Sixth round - #203 overall - Mohammed Kamara, Edge, Colorado State. 6'1", 250lb. Another undersized edge on a bad team that plays bigger and faster than he runs and times. Kamara had 13 sacks this season and 60 pressures as the biggest pass rushing threat on his team. At the very least he's a great and inexpensive rotational player year one.

Seventh round picks, 2 of them - I dunno, some dudes.

So we would get:

- A starting strong safety
- Two quality pass rushers on the edge
- A starting quality offensive guard
- A quality backup running back
- And two randos for depth.

Thoughts?
Grahamburn

Re: Cheb's Early Mock Draft (with highlights)

Post by Grahamburn »

Love it. Always like to have an idea of "who's available" especially at the #26 pick. Is Cooper DeJean available? JPJ? An EDGE? Also, Licht always seems to add a WR somewhere (especially if we lose Evans), and I think we need another CB in this draft.

Is Zinter's injury going to make him fall that far? I'd love that pick.

Hit on major needs and I love getting Davis too. Sean Tucker hype fizzled quickly.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Love the Elliss pick from my alma mater. Hope he can make it in the league, he was amazing in college.

Don't know anything about the safety but it's a big need, I'll trust your evaluation. Davis from UK is going to be a popular mock pick for us it would seem, I like it. Zinter fills a big need.

I like it.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

I like the picks, but can Zinter play center? We need a center bad. Hainsey isn't getting it done.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:36 pm I like the picks, but can Zinter play center? We need a center bad. Hainsey isn't getting it done.
Zinger could probably play center if needed.
Everything I've ever read about Hainsey says that the Bucs love him, and he's on a cheap rookie contract, so I doubt he's going anywhere.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I feel like Bucs have to draft interior OL high. Kinda painted into a corner here. It’s an area of weakness.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Ray Davis must have been hurt in 2020 and 2021, what was it a knee? I ask because he was one player I had looked at.

Also just learned it's Re'Mahn
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Also @Cheb The lobbying prospect process is starting to create movement so I expect some to move up and some to drop. What I mean is money will be going around to promote these players.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Great mock Cheb! Hard to argue any of those picks
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb your mock may stay attainable.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Cheb wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:16 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:36 pm I like the picks, but can Zinter play center? We need a center bad. Hainsey isn't getting it done.
Zinger could probably play center if needed.
Everything I've ever read about Hainsey says that the Bucs love him, and he's on a cheap rookie contract, so I doubt he's going anywhere.
They loved his as a swing, not sure if they love him as a starting center. Also, it comes down to what our new OLine and OC feels not the front office
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:38 pm I feel like Bucs have to draft interior OL high. Kinda painted into a corner here. It’s an area of weakness.
People said that about OT last year. Not everything is what it seems.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:38 am
Snake wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:38 pm I feel like Bucs have to draft interior OL high. Kinda painted into a corner here. It’s an area of weakness.
People said that about OT last year. Not everything is what it seems.
I think it would be smart to draft IOL this season, but we certainly aren't pigeonholed here. We could go a number of different ways with our top picks and I'd be okay with:

- WR if Evans leaves
- OG or C
- Edge
- Offball backer
- Strong safety

I could be talked into:
- QB
- RB
- OT with a plan to bump him inside
- TE
- CB
- 5-tech DE
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It’s a big off-season. Need to add an impact free agent or two. This team needs some depth. We got really lucky with injuries this year.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Still liking this mock
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

@Cheb

We need a new mock with that extra 3rd and Jordan Whitehead now on board!
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 am @Cheb

We need a new mock with that extra 3rd and Jordan Whitehead now on board!
Will get one up soon here my dude.