Late Night with Liam Coen!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Late Night with Liam Coen!

Post by Doctor »

Church was fun y'all, but the sun has set and it's time to party! And boy do we have a show for you, with your new OC Liam Coen. Sure, on the outside it looks like you ordered Sean McVay on Wish, but the inside is just as legit as the real thing I promise you. Every year there's a huge group of fans always wanting to jump on the latest trend and hot scheme of the day. I've been a staunch believer of thinking there are many ways to win in the NFL, the key thing is getting the right fit of scheme and QB. Well it looks like Christmas came early because we're all getting what we wanted this year. 

First, if you are a McVay fanboy, you cannot get any closer to the source than Coen. He's his Mike McDaniel. The brilliant nerd that loves what he does. Hand picked by McVay to be his OC. Not the passing game coordinator or the QB coach or one of these side gigs, but to be the right hand man. His Hamilton. And when he needed someone to spark the offense in a down year McVay turned to Coen who actually did improve the offense. With Baker Mayfield as his QB no less. That electric win vs the Raiders as well as hanging 50 points on Denver. You literally could not be more trendy than Liam Coen. Great news is that he's also called plays both in the NFL and in college. He's gotten a lot of the early growing pains of doing so out of the way, and you've heard him speak to as much in his Kentucky interviews. He's also well versed in the art of installing the system, a lot of which we're already carrying over. You wanted play action? You're going to get it. Pre-snap motion? Every play. Scheming to your players? Consider it done. No lie, by the time December rolls around this year we will be one of the best shows on air.

The biggest reason I was so bummed about Canales leaving was, despite the everything about him, we knew we had a "fit". We found one, hurray! Now it was walking out the door. Lucky for us one of the best fits walks right in. Very similar system, and very much a play calling style that reflects Baker. This fit would convict OJ. I want to say Mike Evans will have the best year of his career, but I'm really curious who is going to get that slot role in the offense. Honestly, this could just as well be an unlock for Godwin or Palmer. Rachaad will continue to eat, but I have my money of Ray Davis in the 4th. Either way a great duo. Finally, we have probably the youngest, top bookend OTs in the league. Mauch will make the Licht leap his second year. Need some help on the inside, but I think we can find it. With it I see us jumping up to a 25-28 ppg offense. Yes, you heard that right. For a test case of the expect Liam can have look at his time in Kentucky, they put up 29 and 32 ppg in 2021 and 2023, the year in between without Coen they were 20 ppg. As close to a controlled case experiment you can ask for on a coaching resume. The redzone conversion percentage is ridiculous, which just so happened to be exactly what we need most. Even if you are the biggest debbie downer and still insist on finding our savior through the draft, you can rejoice that if we do go that route in the next year or two we'll have a great offense scheme set up for him to walk into.

Finally, you pair that up with a top 8 scoring defense (minimum). You give the gravediggers the lead, let them pin their ears back and go after it? A year of growth for the young defenders and hopefully yet another playmaker added. Yeah, this team is going to be right back in the thick of it next year. 
Last edited by Doctor on Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Re: Late Night with Liam Coen!

Post by Bootz »

Guarantee you the 1st play from scrimmage will be a run up the middle for 1 yard.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

7 offenses scored 25 PPG or more in 2023.

4 scored 28 PPG.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Heehee
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

@Doctor You think we will be tasting some Sweet Baby Ray this year?
Kona

Post by Kona »

I see Ray Davis in our future as well. Talent wise there’s no way he should last til our 4th, but he’s turning 25 in November, which is going to turn off a lot of teams. But his style is exactly what we need to compliment White.

As for Coen, the more I read up on him, the more I’m liking the hire. Let’s get Baker and Evans back, some IOL help and go to work.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I just hope Coen doesn't go a full season without his offense scoring an opening drive TD.
Last edited by Bootz on Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:55 am I just hope Coen doesn't go a fill season without his offense scoring an opening drive TD.
Or 31st ranked run game. Or 27th redzone efficiency.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

He looks like a Glazer. And there's no chance he's 38. Maybe 48.

Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I watched his introductory pressor on the elliptical this morning.

Seems like he knows ball I guess, but the proof will be in the pudding.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:44 pm Seems like he knows ball I guess

That's a plus.

You would think there'd be a whole section on that on the NFL coordinator job application form, but sometimes I wonder.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Kress wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:18 pm
Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:44 pm Seems like he knows ball I guess

That's a plus.

You would think there'd be a whole section on that on the NFL coordinator job application form, but sometimes I wonder.
Oh you.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

“This fit would convict OJ”

🤣

My first impression post introductory presser isn’t quite as great as it was with Canales, but the guy does have a great resume for an OC hire. Plus the Baker connection. Definitely a great fit!
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

He looks like a Baby Glazer
Snake

Post by Snake »

Buccabeer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:19 pm He looks like a Baby Glazer
Lowkey calling him a ghoul. Savage.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I wondered if he was sporting an English name.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Glad I'm not the only one that thought that when I saw that pic. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Backside

Post by Backside »

Liking what I am hearing so far.

Only odd thing to me is that Sean McVay's 'right hand man' is someone who becomes a head coach in the NFL over the past half decade, whether deserving or not. That is a coaching tree that is plucked at every opportunity. So I'm honestly just surprised this dude was toiling away as a mediocre college OC if those are his credentials. And wondering why that was the case.

Hope we just got a steal though. Bucs social media posting videos of Coen and Baker meeting bodes well for his return. Hope it is a great pairing.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Backside wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:03 pm Liking what I am hearing so far.

Only odd thing to me is that Sean McVay's 'right hand man' is someone who becomes a head coach in the NFL over the past half decade, whether deserving or not. That is a coaching tree that is plucked at every opportunity. So I'm honestly just surprised this dude was toiling away as a mediocre college OC if those are his credentials. And wondering why that was the case.

Hope we just got a steal though. Bucs social media posting videos of Coen and Baker meeting bodes well for his return. Hope it is a great pairing.
He said in his presser that he wanted playcalling experience, which he wouldn't get under McVay.
MRM

Post by MRM »

From everything I have heard about him, he's a pretty sharp play caller. The thing that concerns me is he moves around a lot. He was with the Rams, left there is become OC for Kentucky the year Will Levis had a best season in college, he leaves there to go back to the Rams. After one season there, he goes back to Kentucky. Now he's in Tampa.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

MRM wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:51 pm From everything I have heard about him, he's a pretty sharp play caller. The thing that concerns me is he moves around a lot. He was with the Rams, left there is become OC for Kentucky the year Will Levis had a best season in college, he leaves there to go back to the Rams. After one season there, he goes back to Kentucky. Now he's in Tampa.
There's a non-zero chance he leaves next season, for sure, but them's the breaks if you have talented coordinators. It could also happen if he's just a rambling man and wants to go elsewhere, which is also fine.

You can't be afraid to hire somebody because you think they might leave you. Sooner or later, eventually they will.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

MRM wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:51 pm From everything I have heard about him, he's a pretty sharp play caller. The thing that concerns me is he moves around a lot. He was with the Rams, left there is become OC for Kentucky the year Will Levis had a best season in college, he leaves there to go back to the Rams. After one season there, he goes back to Kentucky. Now he's in Tampa.
His journey doesn't concern me. It's all about Context.

He was with the Rams 1st only as assistant WR coach then assistant QB coach. He took the job st Kentucky as OC, which is a promotion. Then he got the job as the Rams QB coach (I won't even say OC because McVay runs that offense and calls the plays). Any pro job beats a college job unless you're a highly paid HC. Didn't like not calling plays so he went back to Kentucky where he ran the offense. Now he's here.

So it's not as if he took lateral moves. The only "demotion" was going from being the Rams QB coach to running the offense in Kentucky. But even still he had more responsibilities with the Wildcats.

Here he will be an OC who designs the offense and calls the plays. If he leaves here it'll be for a HC job. So in that regard it doesn't worry me.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Really looking forward to the new OC thread next offseason now
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:38 pm Really looking forward to the new OC thread next offseason now
Church was okay. Left us wanting more and never quite filled the spirit. Late nights are in now for us sinners.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:38 pm Really looking forward to the new OC thread next offseason now
We’ll have had a great season if so.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:51 pm
Yeah, or the exact opposite
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:52 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:51 pm

Yeah, or the exact opposite
Indeed. :lol:
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

One of the posters here thinks the Bucs will be a top 3 NFC team.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:05 pm One of the posters here thinks the Bucs will be a top 3 NFC team.
Just like we were this season.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

LOL! yeah okay :j :roll:
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Watched his press conference. Nothing exciting what he said, but we'll see.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:07 pm LOL! yeah okay :j :roll:
There were 4 teams left in the NFC when the Bucs got knocked out. One of which they beat head to head. You don’t think that qualifies them as a top 3 team in the NFC? What metric do you go by?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:29 pm
Phantom wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:07 pm LOL! yeah okay :j :roll:
There were 4 teams left in the NFC when the Bucs got knocked out. One of which they beat head to head. You don’t think that qualifies them as a top 3 team in the NFC? What metric do you go by?
They're not in the top 3. Top 4 actually
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:35 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:29 pm

They're not in the top 3. Top 4 actually
Ok.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

49ers>Lions>Packers>Buccaneers