Baker Mayfield: PAID

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Phantom

Baker Mayfield: PAID

Post by Phantom »

40-45 million annually? Ouch, I don't think he's worth that much. I'm comfortable giving Lamar Jackson, Pat Mahomes, and Kirk Cousins that amount of salary.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will be major suitors for Baker Mayfield in the upcoming free agency, with many other teams interested as well.

Mayfield is expected to sign in the range of $40-45 million annually.

Via Sportskeeda insider Tony Pauline.
𝗥𝗘𝗣𝗢𝗥𝗧: The #Buccaneers and QB Baker Mayfield have a “mutual interest” in him returning to the team next year, per @RapSheet

Baker is having a career resurgence in Tampa Bay and has the team one win away from the NFC Championship game.

He’s got a huge payday coming his way.
Last edited by Phantom on Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Phantom

Re: Baker Mayfield Contract

Post by Phantom »

Bargain
So Baker Mayfield's final payout for 2023: $4 million base salary, $1 million in playing-time incentives, $1 million for making playoffs, $600k in stat incentives, $250k for winning a playoff game. Total? $6.85 million, a bargain for Bucs by NFL QB standards.
https://x.com/gregauman/status/1749244842633269748?s=61
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Daniel Jones made it to the divisional round last year after a somewhat similar regular season. He was signed to a 4 year deal. $160M.

I could see something very similar for Baker with the same kind of outs after 2 years.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:14 am Daniel Jones made it to the divisional round last year after a somewhat similar regular season. He was signed to a 4 year deal. $160M.

I could see something very similar for Baker with the same kind of outs after 2 years.
Salaries are getting out of control.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:29 am
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:14 am Daniel Jones made it to the divisional round last year after a somewhat similar regular season. He was signed to a 4 year deal. $160M.

As is the salary cap.
Most hated man in America.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I think he's worth that amount. Franchise QBs are twice or more than what he is asking. This gives us Xtra cap flexibility compared to other teams with higher end qbs.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Competent QB play is hard to find.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

The biggest problem with giving one team member a huge contract is that the team has less money to spend on other team members. If the Bucs sign Mayfield to the propose huge contract, will the Bucs have the salary cap to resign Evans?
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:16 am 40-45 million annually? Ouch, I don't think he's worth that much. I'm comfortable giving Lamar Jackson, Pat Mahomes, and Kirk Cousins that amount of salary.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will be major suitors for Baker Mayfield in the upcoming free agency, with many other teams interested as well.

Mayfield is expected to sign in the range of $40-45 million annually.

Via Sportskeeda insider Tony Pauline.
𝗥𝗘𝗣𝗢𝗥𝗧: The #Buccaneers and QB Baker Mayfield have a “mutual interest” in him returning to the team next year, per @RapSheet

Baker is having a career resurgence in Tampa Bay and has the team one win away from the NFC Championship game.

He’s got a huge payday coming his way.
Who is putting these figures out there, Baker's agent?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

UUnfortunately, the annual salary part is true. He deserves to be paid.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I know the default attitude is usually "screw the player", "they signed what they signed for", and "we need to think about the whole business".

With that said Baker played a hell of a season for us for chump change. Whatever he signs for we already got the first season on deep discount. And yeah, he did it to bet on himself and show us what he can do. And he did just that. In every way.

There are going to be a whole lot of rumors and numbers thrown around with every player this offseason. Take it all with some salt.
If there's anyone I trust to come to a fair deal that is still structure in a way that gives us options it's JL.
Kress

Post by Kress »

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

These numbers are all kinds of crazy when you compare who is getting them, but in this list I'd put him in Geno territory. I think Baker is going to be more interested in the length of the contract than blowing up a huge number. He's not in the elite category, so right now - and especially with his history - stability is a commodity for him.

Edit: With natural salary inflation, probably closer to Goff.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I also think Baker is a baller in the classic sense. As in, he wants to play, he wants to ball out, and he wants to win... more than anything. Including money.

When he says he wants Mike back I fully believe he means it in a "put your money where your mouth is" sort of way.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:27 am
Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:16 am 40-45 million annually? Ouch, I don't think he's worth that much. I'm comfortable giving Lamar Jackson, Pat Mahomes, and Kirk Cousins that amount of salary.

Who is putting these figures out there, Baker's agent?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-b ... ket-value/
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kress wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:56 am https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

These numbers are all kinds of crazy when you compare who is getting them, but in this list I'd put him in Geno territory. I think Baker is going to be more interested in the length of the contract than blowing up a huge number. He's not in the elite category, so right now - and especially with his history - stability is a commodity for him.

Edit: With natural salary inflation, probably closer to Goff.
I like the idea of more years (5 versus 3 or 4) and a lower AAV.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

3 years, $120 mil, $60 guaranteed, with two void years added at the end.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:09 am 3 years, $120 mil, $60 guaranteed, with two void years added at the end.
Daniel Jones got $92M guaranteed.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:01 am I also think Baker is a baller in the classic sense. As in, he wants to play, he wants to ball out, and he wants to win... more than anything. Including money.

When he says he wants Mike back I fully believe he means it in a "put your money where your mouth is" sort of way.
When asked about Evans and him coming back he made a comment about understanding everyone having to make sacrifices to win. We shall see…
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:29 am
Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:01 am I also think Baker is a baller in the classic sense. As in, he wants to play, he wants to ball out, and he wants to win... more than anything. Including money.

When asked about Evans and him coming back he made a comment about understanding everyone having to make sacrifices to win. We shall see…
Baker Hater activated: He really means that "Mike better realize he's old and take less so I can get mine" is what he really meant.

Normal fan: That's awesome that Baker realizes he'll need to take less to not only keep the core intact, but add pieces as well.

This would be sooooo much easier if Baker was a douche/bad teammate/locker room cancer, but, by all accounts, he is amazing in the locker room and to his teammates. I don't like Baker the QB, but baker the dude seems to be exactly who I/you/the team/the city, etc. needs.

However, Baker the QB is, based on his history, likely to turn in a turd of a season in 2024: https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_ ... r-mayfield.

He's never put together back to back good QB seasons in six years. I don't think that changes.

What do I want? A savior.
What are we going to get? Baker Mayfield. And I completely understand why. We were supposed to win negative 3 games this year. We didn't. We won, HE (Baker) was a big reason for that, and in the playoff games, he was good. Sure, that last pass was like seeing your baby muva blowing your worst enemy, but that's kinda to be expected with him.

Look, I completely get why Baker and Bowles will be back NEXT YEAR. they did, indeed, earn it. My biggest issue is that Baker will probably get rewarded for what he did, not what he's going to do.

Was Baker better than I anticipated he'd be this season. Yeah, only by about eleventy billion percent. Kudos to that dude for proving the haters (ME) wrong.

If I'm Licht, I tag him based upon that link above. Don't give me the, "If we tag him, we can't sign Player X, Y, and Z. YES WE CAN, no issues whatsoever. I don't mind having Baker be the QB of this team next year because, again, he earned it. I just don't want to be the dude saying, "that's why you don't guarantee him multiple years" this time next year when we go 5-12 and he's close to a 1:1 TO:TD margin. That link above gives me all this history I need to not sign him to more than one year.

And if I'm wrong again, and he has another good year next season, pay him 50M/year that he, at that point, will have earned...just don't do it now when he had one good season.

I guess that's my Mea Culpa to him....I was wrong this season. We and he didn't suck at all, actually, when I thought he, and we, would remake a Karrine Steffans movie (google it...but not at work).
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

The end game int and the unblocked pressures are forgivable for rebuilding 2023 Bucs with a QB off of scrap heap. If Baker is going to get paid like a tier 2 franchise QB, the expectations are going to be higher for a more consistently decent QB play during regular season.

I think Baker is deserving of such contract and also deserving of higher expectations going forward.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:54 am
Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:29 am

However, Baker the QB is, based on his history, likely to turn in a turd of a season in 2024: https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_ ... r-mayfield.

He's never put together back to back good QB seasons in six years. I don't think that changes.
No? You seriously do not see any differences between what maybe be Bakers 2023/2024 seasons and all the other back-to-back years Baker has had? None?

I'll let @Babeinbucland tell you....
Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:20 pm Y’all’s thoughts on this:

This is extremely interesting regarding Bakers career thus far.
- Bakers rookie year, in Cleveland -
He had TWO different head coaches. Both have not had a head coaching job since.
- Bakers 2nd year, in Cleveland -
He had a completely new ROOKIE HEAD COACH… He has not had a head coaching job since.
- Bakers 3rd & 4th season, in Cleveland -
He had a completely new ROOKIE HEAD COACH. He is still currently coaching. To this day, Baker led him to his most coaching victories in a season, including the Browns playoff run this year.
- Bakers 5th season, in Carolina & LA -
He played for a total of THREE head coaches. He started the season with Carolina and played for two different head coaches while there, both have not had a head coaching job since…(also notable: this organization also got rid of Christian McCaffrey this same year). They went 2-15 this year, last in the league.
He ended his 5th season with the LA Rams for one head coach. The Rams were tied for the worst record in the NFC and were last in their division at 3-9 when they brought Baker in to close out their season.

- Bakers 6th season, in Tampa -
This is the very first season in Bakers entire NFL career where he has not played for either a ROOKIE HEAD COACH or multiple head coaches in a season. Baker set numerous career records this season.
- Not counting current Bowles, 5 of the 7 head coaches Baker previously played for are no longer head coaches.
-
Aaron fucking Rodgers couldn't string together two good years in that situation.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:47 am I think he's worth that amount. Franchise QBs are twice or more than what he is asking. This gives us Xtra cap flexibility compared to other teams with higher end qbs.
Uh, who's getting $80-$90m annually?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:33 am
acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:54 am

No? You seriously do not see any differences between what maybe be Bakers 2023/2024 seasons and all the other back-to-back years Baker has had? None?

I'll let @Babeinbucland tell you....
Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:20 pm Y’all’s thoughts on this:

This is extremely interesting regarding Bakers career thus far.
- Bakers rookie year, in Cleveland -
He had TWO different head coaches. Both have not had a head coaching job since.
- Bakers 2nd year, in Cleveland -
He had a completely new ROOKIE HEAD COACH… He has not had a head coaching job since.
- Bakers 3rd & 4th season, in Cleveland -
He had a completely new ROOKIE HEAD COACH. He is still currently coaching. To this day, Baker led him to his most coaching victories in a season, including the Browns playoff run this year.
- Bakers 5th season, in Carolina & LA -
He played for a total of THREE head coaches. He started the season with Carolina and played for two different head coaches while there, both have not had a head coaching job since…(also notable: this organization also got rid of Christian McCaffrey this same year). They went 2-15 this year, last in the league.
He ended his 5th season with the LA Rams for one head coach. The Rams were tied for the worst record in the NFC and were last in their division at 3-9 when they brought Baker in to close out their season.

- Bakers 6th season, in Tampa -
This is the very first season in Bakers entire NFL career where he has not played for either a ROOKIE HEAD COACH or multiple head coaches in a season. Baker set numerous career records this season.
- Not counting current Bowles, 5 of the 7 head coaches Baker previously played for are no longer head coaches.
-
Aaron fucking Rodgers couldn't string together two good years in that situation.
That's why I said I understand the team wanting to re-sign him. I just don't agree with some saying he should get $40+M/year. I'm fine tagging him and having him be the QB for the 2024 season.

Hell, Winston had 3 coaches in a five year span...was the problem Winston, or was it the coaching?
You seem ready to hitch your wagon to the Baker train and ride that puppy for the next 4-5 years. I'm glad you're hopeful that he continues to be a good QB for us. I'm just not as optimistic.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

What I would offer Mayfield? 3 yr / $30M. I like the idea of having a backup who can come in and help the team when the starter is out.

What I fear Tampa offers him? 4 yr / $120M. It'll be like Freeman and Winston all over again. Forever the pretender.

I'd much rather give Cousins a 3 yr / $100M, fully guaranteed than give anything more than backup money to Mayfield.
Last edited by CannonFire on Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Well lucky for both of us, in the event we're all wrong on Baker (which highly likely given it is very hard to win a chip after all) they'll be a new QB class with filled with all sorts of saviors in 4-5 years.

The irony that gets missed here is that this is all just as true when we bet on a rookie savior too.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:22 am

LOL, we just paid $8M for it off the scrap heap. :lol:
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:56 am Well lucky for both of us, in the event we're all wrong on Baker (which highly likely given it is very hard to win a chip after all) they'll be a new QB class with filled with all sorts of saviors in 4-5 years.

The irony that gets missed here is that this is all just as true when we bet on a rookie savior too.
Of course, picking a rookie QB is a roll of the dice, as is relying on Mayfield to duplicate what he's done this year.

The difference? A rookie QB, even one drafted 1st overall, will earn on four years, what Mayfield is projected to earn in one year.

Do you not see that?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:58 am
Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:56 am Well lucky for both of us, in the event we're all wrong on Baker (which highly likely given it is very hard to win a chip after all) they'll be a new QB class with filled with all sorts of saviors in 4-5 years.

Of course, picking a rookie QB is a roll of the dice, as is relying on Mayfield to duplicate what he's done this year.

The difference? A rookie QB, even one drafted 1st overall, will earn on four years, what Mayfield is projected to earn in one year.

Do you not see that?
No, sadly a lot of them don't. They'd rather be pretenders and be a 7 to 9 win team than take a real shot at a franchise QB. The right move is to save the money that Mayfield is thought to get, and use it to upgrade the interior OLine... then, trade up... adding in Devin White if it helps, to get a franchise QB prospect in the draft. I don't know who that is, I'm not a college scout, but it's someone's job in this organization to do that. Let's expect them to know, and do their job.

In 2017, the Chiefs gave up pick #27, 91, & 2018-22, for Patrick Mahomes, because they did their job... and it worked out. All this simply means is that if you do your homework, you don't need a top 3 to 5 pick to get a franchise QB. We're going to have pick #26. Let's package that up what we need to and go get our guy.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bwahahahaha. How much did that help Freeman? Or Winston?

I absolutely love that to make your point you casually grant yourself accomplishing one of the hardest things in football like it's a given. All so you can prop a sassy "do you not see that" with your second point on top of it. Too funny.

And not only do you bestow upon yourself the premise of landing a Franchise QB, you go as far as to make him one of the most absolute rare gem of a QB. Like it's one thing to hope for a QB savior, it's another to have the crack rock so big he's going to be Mahomesian.

Most QBs, even your saviors like Lawrence, Rodgers, and Tua take time. You've usually used up more of their rookie deal before you are even begin to show you they are the answer. And even if they hit the ground hot, they hit their slumps. Hell LAMAR FREAKING JACKSON was being questioned. But no, I'm sure you'll totally land an unquestionable, producing savior right out the gate. And we'll win that SB in that 1-2 year window when they are finally good enough but still cheap, because god forbid we actually have to pay our franchise QB. That would be a disaster!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Let's not muddy this up.

4 years/$170mil/$83mil initial guaranteed /$105 guaranteed total.
$28mil signing bonus.

2024,2025, signing bonus guaranteed at signing.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:04 pm

Do you not see that?
Let's package that up what we need to and go get our guy.
Why, since you won't pay him when it's time.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:57 am
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:22 am

LOL, we just paid $8M for it off the scrap heap. :lol:
Touche.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:04 pm

Do you not see that?
No, sadly a lot of them don't. They'd rather be pretenders and be a 7 to 9 win team than take a real shot at a franchise QB. The right move is to save the money that Mayfield is thought to get, and use it to upgrade the interior OLine... then, trade up... adding in Devin White if it helps, to get a franchise QB prospect in the draft. I don't know who that is, I'm not a college scout, but it's someone's job in this organization to do that. Let's expect them to know, and do their job.

In 2017, the Chiefs gave up pick #27, 91, & 2018-22, for Patrick Mahomes, because they did their job... and it worked out. All this simply means is that if you do your homework, you don't need a top 3 to 5 pick to get a franchise QB. We're going to have pick #26. Let's package that up what we need to and go get our guy.
I don't think we'll be able to add Devin White to any draft day deals.

How can you say this team were "pretenders?" They were one of the final 8 teams. They were within a few mistakes and one score from being in the NFC Championship game. Please sign me up for being that kind of pretender every single season. It is definitely not the "right move" to let the QB that made that happen walk in free agency.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:27 pm Let's not muddy this up.

4 years/$170mil/$83mil initial guaranteed /$105 guaranteed total.
$28mil signing bonus.

2024,2025, signing bonus guaranteed at signing.
Dear lord. $105 guaranteed to Baker MFing Mayfield?!?!? Shoot me in the nuts with a double barrel sweet jesus.