Baker Mayfield: PAID

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Baker Mayfield Contract

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:59 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:27 pm Let's not muddy this up.

4 years/$170mil/$83mil initial guaranteed /$105 guaranteed total.
$28mil signing bonus.

2024,2025, signing bonus guaranteed at signing.
Dear lord. $105 guaranteed to Baker MFing Mayfield?!?!? Shoot me in the nuts with a double barrel sweet jesus.
That's about $113mil less than Justin Herbert, who didn't win the only road playoff game of his career thus far and also has a losing record....
Most hated man in America.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:27 pm Let's not muddy this up.

4 years/$170mil/$83mil initial guaranteed /$105 guaranteed total.
$28mil signing bonus.

2024,2025, signing bonus guaranteed at signing.
Dear lord. $105 guaranteed to Baker MFing Mayfield?!?!? Shoot me in the nuts with a double barrel sweet jesus.
I liked Baker a lot this year and want him back... These numbers being thrown around scare me as well. Single outlier seasons are very common in the NFL. That is an all-in Baker is THE guy contract. Which I really hope ends up being the case. But man, that is a large bet on that outcome coming to pass. Regression is absolutely on the table. It would be a shame if a year from now we were saying how did we fall for this, when we see it happen so often? Injuries, bad luck season, etc. So many things could happen where Baker isn't even much different but we miss the playoffs, have a bad record, and just feel bad about the team in general. And now we are paying top tier money to a guy who is NOT that.

Pretty interesting debate if we just confirmed that cheap scrap heap guys can be good if the situation and scheme is good. OR if we assume we just struck gold and can't possibly count on it happening again. I'll get excited for the team either way, but I am hoping that they agree to a slightly more reasonable number with Baker.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:06 pm

That's about $113mil less than Justin Herbert, who didn't win the only road playoff game of his career thus far and also has a losing record....
You're right. Herbert also has a much higher completion %, averages more yards, more TDs, less INTs. Baker's QBR this season was 54.3. Justin Herbert's WORST season, his QBR was 60.2.

Baker's best season was this year (you could argue 2020, and that's okay to). He completed 64.3% had 28 TD and 10 INT.
Herbert's worst season was probably 2022 when he completed 68.2% of his passes had 25 TDs and 10 INTS.

It's almost like one QB's worst season was better than the other QBs best season...weird, bro!
You hate Herbert almost as much as I hate Fields.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Anyone "afraid" of a $105mil guaranteed contract for a QB is living in the past.

$105mil would rank 13th amongst QB guarantees. Less than Jared Goff at $126mil, more than Derek Carr at $100mil. The only QBs below that who aren't on rookie deals would be in order Daniel Jones, Ryan Tannehill, Aaron Rodgers, Jimmy G, and Geno Smith.

The salary cap isn't $65mil anymore.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:17 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:06 pm

You're right. Herbert also has a much higher completion %, averages more yards, more TDs, less INTs. Baker's QBR this season was 54.3. Justin Herbert's WORST season, his QBR was 60.2.

Baker's best season was this year (you could argue 2020, and that's okay to). He completed 64.3% had 28 TD and 10 INT.
Herbert's worst season was probably 2022 when he completed 68.2% of his passes had 25 TDs and 10 INTS.

It's almost like one QB's worst season was better than the other QBs best season...weird, bro!
Didn't realize teams paid for stats. Thought they paid for wins.

So your concern is Baker's stats don't justify what you feel top QBs should get.

What's interesting is his stats this year are better than what Herbert has put out the last 2, except for yards and completion%. More TDs, fewer turnovers.

Herbert's best season was his rookie year so as you like to do, he's regressing.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:31 pm
CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:04 pm

Let's package that up what we need to and go get our guy.
Why, since you won't pay him when it's time.
You only don't pay the guys that aren't worth paying. Mayfield, like Winston and Freeman, isn't one of them. Not all guys worth extensions were taken in the top 5 or 10 by the 5 or 10 worst teams in the league. Sometimes teams trade up. Sometimes players fall. When that happens, they get extended... because they're worth it.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:25 pm Anyone "afraid" of a $105mil guaranteed contract for a QB is living in the past.

$105mil would rank 13th amongst QB guarantees. Less than Jared Goff at $126mil, more than Derek Carr at $100mil. The only QBs below that who aren't on rookie deals would be in order Daniel Jones, Ryan Tannehill, Aaron Rodgers, Jimmy G, and Geno Smith.

Yeah. Even if he takes a little "discount" to stay here and make sure Mike gets paid too he's getting north of $100M.
Last edited by Grahamburn on Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:32 pm

You only don't pay the guys that aren't worth paying. Mayfield, like Winston and Freeman, isn't one of them. Not all guys worth extensions were taken in the top 5 or 10 by the 5 or 10 worst teams in the league. Sometimes teams trade up. Sometimes players fall. When that happens, they get extended... because they're worth it.
Why are you comparing him to those two? Pretty sure neither of them ever won our division, won a home playoff game, nor were either within one score of the NFCCG. Both of them on rookie contracts mind you...
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:32 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:17 pm

So your concern is Baker's stats don't justify what you feel top QBs should get.

What's interesting is his stats this year are better than what Herbert has put out the last 2, except for yards and completion%. More TDs, fewer turnovers.

Herbert's best season was his rookie year so as you like to do, he's regressing.
If teams pay for wins, why did the Lions extend Stafford multiple times? Why did they extend Megatron?
Simple question. Would you rather have Mayfield at let's just guess $40M/year with 120 guaranteed, or Herbert at 52/year, 218M guaranteed?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You're right. Locking up a QB is worth it. And it's also worth sooo much more than some magical 1-2 year rookie-deal window.
Glad you're finally coming to your senses.

Now if we can just get off this weird puritanical obsession that your savior QB must be an NFL-virgin when you landed him we can finally get somewhere.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:45 pm
CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:04 pm

No, sadly a lot of them don't. They'd rather be pretenders and be a 7 to 9 win team than take a real shot at a franchise QB. The right move is to save the money that Mayfield is thought to get, and use it to upgrade the interior OLine... then, trade up... adding in Devin White if it helps, to get a franchise QB prospect in the draft. I don't know who that is, I'm not a college scout, but it's someone's job in this organization to do that. Let's expect them to know, and do their job.

In 2017, the Chiefs gave up pick #27, 91, & 2018-22, for Patrick Mahomes, because they did their job... and it worked out. All this simply means is that if you do your homework, you don't need a top 3 to 5 pick to get a franchise QB. We're going to have pick #26. Let's package that up what we need to and go get our guy.
I don't think we'll be able to add Devin White to any draft day deals.

How can you say this team were "pretenders?" They were one of the final 8 teams. They were within a few mistakes and one score from being in the NFC Championship game. Please sign me up for being that kind of pretender every single season. It is definitely not the "right move" to let the QB that made that happen walk in free agency.
I agree about White, I just keep hearing from pundits and whatnot, who are supposedly "in-the-know", and they talk glowingly about him. He might have some value... how, I don't know.

We were pretenders because we snuck into the playoffs without any real chance to win. That's what a pretender is. Yeah, we were among the final 8, but every year there are teams in the final 8 that you look at say "yeah, they're not winning any more"... this year, that was us. Reason being, at some point you have to beat a good team and the Bucs didn't do that all year. Yeah, I know you want a pretender, because you want to re-sign Mayfield. The thing about pretenders is that the playoffs pop up occasionally and you never go anywhere. The Bucs are in the one place no NFL team ever wants to be in, purgatory. They're too good to suck, but not good enough to win. Keeping Mayfield keeps us in purgatory. Like I said in an earlier post, I'd rather go give Cousins a $35M AAV deal for 3 years (guaranteed), then give Mayfield a Daniel Jones contract.

LOL, I have no problem walking away from a mediocre QB who brought us to a 9-8 season with a schedule that featured only 4 good opponents, in what some consider to be a career year for him.

Next year, we're projected to have $50M in cap space. We NEED to improve the OLine and we have Mike Evans and LaVonte David needing new deals. Our schedule next year features San Fran, Philly, Baltimore, Dallas, KC, Chargers, & Lions... along with teams who could see an upgrade at the QB position like Denver and Vegas... and you want to sign a mediocre QB to deal worth $30M (give or take), and you think we'll make the playoffs? Yeah, sign me up for the under.

That QB that you want to sign looked like CRAP/total garbage, in the last two games of the season, that were must-win and he produced 0 points in the first 3 quarters... down 20-0 in the home season finally forcing us to win our last game. Our last game in which we scored a whopping 9 points against the worst team in football. THAT's the QB you we NEED to bring back? Dude, you just want to be disappointed don't you? You miss the Winston, Freeman, Dilfer, King days, don't you? Glad we're out of that Brady era where we were contenders?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:39 pm

Why are you comparing him to those two? Pretty sure neither of them ever won our division, won a home playoff game, nor were either within one score of the NFCCG. Both of them on rookie contracts mind you...
Cardinal rule of the dogma is only having tunnel vision on the examples that supports the dogma. All those other instances, well, that just wasn't real communism....

Honestly, it a mystery why the NFL isn't littered with rookie deal QB champions. Hell go down the list of HoF QBs or SB winning QBs, maybe a handful were on their rookies deal when they won a chip. Everyone else was a fully grown, paid adult. It's almost like your peak isn't at 23 years old.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:42 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:32 pm

If teams pay for wins, why did the Lions extend Stafford multiple times? Why did they extend Megatron?
Simple question. Would you rather have Mayfield at let's just guess $40M/year with 120 guaranteed, or Herbert at 52/year, 218M guaranteed?
Give me the guy that's actually won in the playoffs....
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:52 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:42 pm

Genuine question because I'm just curious; why do you hate on Herbert?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:42 pm

You're right. Locking up a QB is worth it. And it's also worth sooo much more than some magical 1-2 year rookie-deal window.

Now if we can just get off this weird puritanical obsession that your savior QB must be an NFL-virgin when you landed him we can finally get somewhere.
Rookie-deal windows are 5 years dude, not 1 to 2. There's also the luxury of having time to see what is there before a deal is given... not just 17 games.

Now if we can just get you off of this, well, we don't suck, so that's awesome view that you have, we can finally get somewhere.

Also, I even said I'd rather give Cousins or Wilson money than Mayfield... they've proven that they're not below average starters, unlike Mayfield. I don't need a rookie to come in. Though, that doesn't mean I'm opposed to trading up for one. Now, if they give Mayfield a 1-yr deal for $25M and we still get a QB in the draft, I'll be ok with that.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:51 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:45 pm

I don't think we'll be able to add Devin White to any draft day deals.

How can you say this team were "pretenders?" They were one of the final 8 teams. They were within a few mistakes and one score from being in the NFC Championship game. Please sign me up for being that kind of pretender every single season. It is definitely not the "right move" to let the QB that made that happen walk in free agency.
I agree about White, I just keep hearing from pundits and whatnot, who are supposedly "in-the-know", and they talk glowingly about him. He might have some value... how, I don't know.

We were pretenders because we snuck into the playoffs without any real chance to win. That's what a pretender is. Yeah, we were among the final 8, but every year there are teams in the final 8 that you look at say "yeah, they're not winning any more"... this year, that was us. Reason being, at some point you have to beat a good team and the Bucs didn't do that all year. Yeah, I know you want a pretender, because you want to re-sign Mayfield. The thing about pretenders is that the playoffs pop up occasionally and you never go anywhere. The Bucs are in the one place no NFL team ever wants to be in, purgatory. They're too good to suck, but not good enough to win. Keeping Mayfield keeps us in purgatory. Like I said in an earlier post, I'd rather go give Cousins a $35M AAV deal for 3 years (guaranteed), then give Mayfield a Daniel Jones contract.

LOL, I have no problem walking away from a mediocre QB who brought us to a 9-8 season with a schedule that featured only 4 good opponents, in what some consider to be a career year for him.

Next year, we're projected to have $50M in cap space. We NEED to improve the OLine and we have Mike Evans and LaVonte David needing new deals. Our schedule next year features San Fran, Philly, Baltimore, Dallas, KC, Chargers, & Lions... along with teams who could see an upgrade at the QB position like Denver and Vegas... and you want to sign a mediocre QB to deal worth $30M (give or take), and you think we'll make the playoffs? Yeah, sign me up for the under.

That QB that you want to sign looked like CRAP/total garbage, in the last two games of the season, that were must-win and he produced 0 points in the first 3 quarters... down 20-0 in the home season finally forcing us to win our last game. Our last game in which we scored a whopping 9 points against the worst team in football. THAT's the QB you we NEED to bring back? Dude, you just want to be disappointed don't you? You miss the Winston, Freeman, Dilfer, King days, don't you? Glad we're out of that Brady era where we were contenders?
You know who has more playoff wins than Kirk Cousins? Baker Mayfield. The guy who just threw for 686 yards and 6 TDs in our two playoff games. But, you'd rather have Kirk Cousins? Maybe you're the one who wants to be disappointed?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Backside wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:12 pm

I liked Baker a lot this year and want him back... These numbers being thrown around scare me as well. Single outlier seasons are very common in the NFL. That is an all-in Baker is THE guy contract. Which I really hope ends up being the case. But man, that is a large bet on that outcome coming to pass. Regression is absolutely on the table. It would be a shame if a year from now we were saying how did we fall for this, when we see it happen so often? Injuries, bad luck season, etc. So many things could happen where Baker isn't even much different but we miss the playoffs, have a bad record, and just feel bad about the team in general. And now we are paying top tier money to a guy who is NOT that.

Pretty interesting debate if we just confirmed that cheap scrap heap guys can be good if the situation and scheme is good. OR if we assume we just struck gold and can't possibly count on it happening again. I'll get excited for the team either way, but I am hoping that they agree to a slightly more reasonable number with Baker.
This year wasn't a single outlier season for Mayfield. He's had 2 others just like it in Cleveland. This is what he is... a low-end starter who's hit his ceiling. Regression isn't just on the table, it's expected.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:54 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:52 pm

I don't hate him. He's been placed on a pedestal he hasn't earned along side guys who have done way more. He's also regressed and even you wouldn't be able to deny that looking at the numbers.

He was made the highest paid player in league history without earning it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:57 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:42 pm

Rookie-deal windows are 5 years dude, not 1 to 2.
I mean I was factoring in growth years, slump years, and you know, things even all your past prized QB saviors went through but sure, kiddo, take all 5 years, why not. I mean the best rookie deal performing QBs still all went through those, but I'm sure yours won't. Yours will be super duper rookie. Who will give us five years of stellar play for cheap and leave us unquestionably giving him a big (but somehow not too big) deal drama free.

I'm a little curious.... can you put a name to this holier than holy savior? McCarthy? Penix? Caleb?Wait, let me guess. It's not your job to identify him. It's the GMs job to manifest him into existence, go out and draft him, and make sure everything else is in place for his greatness right? Is that the answer? Clown.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:00 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:54 pm

I don't hate him. He's been placed on a pedestal he hasn't earned along side guys who have done way more. He's also regressed and even you wouldn't be able to deny that looking at the numbers.

fair enough, but with eery franchise qb contract, they'll always set the record. Herbert signed his deal on 7/25/2023, and was the highest paid QB for exactly 6 weeks (Burrow). How do you feel about Josh Allen getting paid, or Deshaun Watson, etc.?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:58 pm
CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:51 pm

You know who has more playoff wins than Kirk Cousins? Baker Mayfield. The guy who just threw for 686 yards and 6 TDs in our two playoff games. But, you'd rather have Kirk Cousins? Maybe you're the one who wants to be disappointed?
LOL, you're in Freeman, Winston, Dilfer delusional land if you can't understand that the team we had this year was better than any team Cousins ever played on... and yet, virtually every season Cousins has played a full season, was better than the year that Mayfield just had. Also, I don't think Cousins is a savior, I just think the money is better spent on him than Mayfield. How about this. Let's give that money to Russel Wilson. Tell me how many playoff wins he doesn't have.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

With half the cap tied behind our backs our staff still put out a better squad than anything Cousins has ever had?
And we want to clean house?

Make it make sense.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:25 pm Anyone "afraid" of a $105mil guaranteed contract for a QB is living in the past.

I guess my other thinking is this:
Baker had a good season against an easy schedule.

The gauntlet next year:
HOME: PHI, WAS, DEN, LV, ATL, NO, CAR, SF, BAL
AWAY: DAL, NYG, KC, LAC, ATL, NO, CAR, DET

If he gets through next season with similar/better production, pay that man his money. Until then, he's the dude that picked on the also rans of the NFL this season.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:16 pm With half the cap tied behind our backs our staff still put out a better squad than anything Cousins has ever had?
And we want to clean house?

Make it make sense.
Who said we need to clean house? We have a solid team that really only needs the middle of the OLine addressed and QB position. We were just Super Bowl contenders 24 months ago and didn't really lose a lot. Who did we lose over the last 2 seasons that made you say, "oh God, we're screwed"?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:09 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:00 pm

fair enough, but with eery franchise qb contract, they'll always set the record. Herbert signed his deal on 7/25/2023, and was the highest paid QB for exactly 6 weeks (Burrow). How do you feel about Josh Allen getting paid, or Deshaun Watson, etc.?
Both have performed and played winning football. Both have playoff wins. Both have won their division. Both have sustained a consistent level of high performance at 1 time or another. Both have shown themselves to be the reason their team wins games.

What does Justin Herbert have to show other than a great completion percentage?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:18 pm

The gauntlet next year:

If he gets through next season with similar/better production, pay that man his money. Until then, he's the dude that picked on the also rans of the NFL this season.
So if he goes 38 TDs/15 INTs/4800+ yards/67% but we go 8-9, you'd pay him?
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:58 pm You know who has more playoff wins than Kirk Cousins? Baker Mayfield. The guy who just threw for 686 yards and 6 TDs in our two playoff games. But, you'd rather have Kirk Cousins? Maybe you're the one who wants to be disappointed?
If Kirk Cousins had these receivers to throw to, he'd easily have a playoff win. This team could've done much better had they had a competent QB rather than Jameis. Once TB came in, it was a done deal. We mortgaged our future to win a Super Bowl in '20 and the piper came to collect this year.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:48 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:58 pm You know who has more playoff wins than Kirk Cousins? Baker Mayfield. The guy who just threw for 686 yards and 6 TDs in our two playoff games. But, you'd rather have Kirk Cousins? Maybe you're the one who wants to be disappointed?
If Kirk Cousins had these receivers to throw to, he'd easily have a playoff win. This team could've done much better had they had a competent QB rather than Jameis. Once TB came in, it was a done deal. We mortgaged our future to win a Super Bowl in '20 and the piper came to collect this year.
Cousins is not lacking targets. Very few people would take our group over JJ, Addison, Osborn, and until this year Cook.

Odd thing to say.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:55 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:48 pm

Cousins is not lacking targets. Very few people would take our group over JJ, Addison, Osborn, and until this year Cook.

Odd thing to say.
You can pair any speedy receiver with Evans and Godwin and you've got a mighty force to be reckoned with.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:02 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:55 pm

Odd thing to say.
You can pair any speedy receiver with Evans and Godwin and you've got a mighty force to be reckoned with.
Ok? The Vikings have had an arguably better receiver group for Cousins. It invalidates your original comment.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

The gauntlet next year:

How well the Bucs do next year also hinges on what some of the Bucs opponents do in the offseason. Lets say the Falcons sign Russ Wilson. That makes them a much better team. LAC may be a much better team with a new HC. PHI my not have all the injuries they had when the Bucs faced them in the post season. Some teams could be worse or hit with the injury bug. Unlike this past season, the Bucs could have a bunch of injuries.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:07 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:02 pm

Ok? The Vikings have had an arguably better receiver group for Cousins. It invalidates your original comment.
You're entitled to your opinion.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:10 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:07 pm

You're entitled to your opinion.
You implied that the Vikings WRs were the reason he doesn't have a playoff win. Even if our group overall is better (I don't know anyone would say that Evans is on the level of JJ, but after that is certainly debatable)...you think they are holding him back? You think ours is so much better that it would make a difference?

Their offensive line is their biggest issue, not weapons.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:48 pm

The gauntlet next year:

100% yes.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:26 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:48 pm

100% yes.
You'd make a splendid GM in Madden.