Nick Saban: Retired

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
uscbucsfan1

Re: Nick Saban: Retired

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:06 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:29 am
Just like a lot of flat earthers are pissed at NASA for lying that space is real...they exist in the same reality.

Very few expected or thought FSU was worthy of a spot prior to the actual announcement and the made up narrative that collusion took place.

FSU wasn't one of the 4 best teams...hell they weren't one of the 6 best teams in the country.
I'm sorry but FSU would've found a way to beat Michigan. The way that defense was playing, it could've stopped General Patton's tanks.
Totally...and Joe Biden could absolutely win the Tour De France this year.

The UCF national championship BS was more rational.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I appreciate the context. It’s too bad we’ll never know.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Noles1724 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:05 pm
Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:10 pm

They gave up 60+ though?
that was the JV squad

• FSU’s four leading rushers (Trey Benson, Lawrance Toafili, Rodney Hill and Travis)
• All five players with at least 20 catches (Keon Coleman, Johnny Wilson and Jaheim Bell plus Benson and Toafili)
• Interception leader Jarrian Jones
• Four of the nine players with at least 40 tackles (Jared Verse, DJ Lundy, Akeem Dent and Renardo Green)
• FSU retains only 196 of its 2,039 rushing yards and 927 of its 3,373 receiving yards

FSU's D was extremely underrated.
FSU's offense was not good.

They were an decent team that had a ridiculously easy schedule and often looked bad winning that lost all offense when Travis went out. They weren't amazing with Travis, they looked good, not great, but when he was gone...the offense was bad. The one game where FSU looked awesome was the first game of the season, the quality dropped after that.

I get trying to cope and it's easier to create a conspiracy theory because your team went undefeated and still didn't get there, but no one outside of FSU fans thinks a full powered FSU stood a chance against UGA or Michigan...much less what we watched against Florida and Louisville.

There was a reason regular people (not including the media) were saying that FSU shouldn't get in during and after the Louisville game...it's not because of the illuminati, either.

If you believe Alabama conspired with ESPN/CFB playoff committee to keep FSU out...you deserve to be ridiculed like we ridiculed the UCF fans were when they had a parade.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:13 pm I appreciate the context. It’s too bad we’ll never know.
Joe is having adventures all the time. Who knows how many races he's won or dragons he's slayed while standing on a podium.
Snake

Post by Snake »

FSU is probably something like the 7th/8th best team in the country, maybe a touch below.

I think all the healthy playoff teams beat healthy FSU. Ohio State (with no opt outs), Georgia too.

Nothing wrong with that either.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:19 pm FSU is probably something like the 7th/8th best team in the country, maybe a touch below.

I think all the healthy playoff teams beat healthy FSU. Ohio State (with no opt outs), Georgia too.

Nothing wrong with that either.
It's odd seeing how well Bama did against Michigan and FSU fans thinking people won't tease them for saying they would have done better.

I get being a fanatic, but I have no dog in the FSU/Bama/Mich fight...FSU would have been trampled. They had no QB.

Probably the best/most even game of the playoffs was Bama-Michigan.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

I'll agree to disagree. It's all opinion at this point.. and that's kind of my point.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Noles1724 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:23 pm I'll agree to disagree. It's all opinion at this point.. and that's kind of my point.
my opinion is that the four best teams in the country before the playoffs were Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, Georgia. I also said this on December 3. “The best four teams today are Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, and Georgia.”

It’s just unfortunate that they all had a cannibalize each other at the end of the season.

I know the expanded playoff was inevitable. I was always a big fan of the four team playoff. I think USC was as well.

Just have to select the right teams…

The expanded playoff is going to eliminate some controversy, but it’s going to create others. The fringe teams are going to think they had a case.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Noles1724 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:23 pm I'll agree to disagree. It's all opinion at this point.. and that's kind of my point.
That's fair.

I think the Bucs would have beat the Bengals if not for the busted play against the Rams. Bengal's fans may disagree...and that's fair.

But...

If I said that the NFL and the Rams conspired to force Bowles to blitz on that play for the Rams to be in the SB instead of us...people would ridicule that, rightfully.

It's clear and provable that many (I'd even say a majority) didn't think FSU deserved to be in the playoffs prior to the decision. So, while upsetting, it shouldn't have been a complete shock they were left out. Basically, it wasn't a big enough leap to warrant creating conspiracies, but here we are.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Cross Lanning off the list.

Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:17 pm
Noles1724 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:05 pm

that was the JV squad

• FSU’s four leading rushers (Trey Benson, Lawrance Toafili, Rodney Hill and Travis)
• All five players with at least 20 catches (Keon Coleman, Johnny Wilson and Jaheim Bell plus Benson and Toafili)
• Interception leader Jarrian Jones
• Four of the nine players with at least 40 tackles (Jared Verse, DJ Lundy, Akeem Dent and Renardo Green)
• FSU retains only 196 of its 2,039 rushing yards and 927 of its 3,373 receiving yards

FSU's D was extremely underrated.
FSU's offense was not good.

They were an decent team that had a ridiculously easy schedule and often looked bad winning that lost all offense when Travis went out. They weren't amazing with Travis, they looked good, not great, but when he was gone...the offense was bad. The one game where FSU looked awesome was the first game of the season, the quality dropped after that.

I get trying to cope and it's easier to create a conspiracy theory because your team went undefeated and still didn't get there, but no one outside of FSU fans thinks a full powered FSU stood a chance against UGA or Michigan...much less what we watched against Florida and Louisville.

There was a reason regular people (not including the media) were saying that FSU shouldn't get in during and after the Louisville game...it's not because of the illuminati, either.

If you believe Alabama conspired with ESPN/CFB playoff committee to keep FSU out...you deserve to be ridiculed like we ridiculed the UCF fans were when they had a parade.
I agree with this. FSU was definitely not among the top 4 in terms of talent without Travis. Whether they belonged because they went undefeated in the ACC is a different story. But the committee's job is to put the four best teams in their eyes in the playoffs, with conference titles as a major stepping stone (which is why Georgia was left out). Of the five major conference champions, FSU was arguably the weakest when you take Travis out of the equation. The ACC was dreadful this year, especially when Riley Leonard got hurt. If Leonard stayed healthy vs. FSU, they may have won that game. But if we just picked the four best teams without even considering conference titles, then I would say it shoulda been Michigan, Georgia, Washington, and Bama. Maybe even Ohio State or Oregon in that convo.

FSU would have not been able to move the ball at all against Michigan with their backup QBs. I would take a shot of Tequilla for every first down they got in that game, and I'd end up sober through four quarters. As for their defense, it looks good against poor competition. But Michigan's offense would move the ball on them just like other decent offenses did against FSU, such as BC, Miami, LSU, Clemson, and Duke. Let's not make FSU's defense look like the '85 Bears here. FSU did a good job of shutting down poor qbs, but against better qbs, while they did good, they didn't shut them down. Michigan woulda prolly scored 20 points on offense alone against FSU, and maybe another 7-14 off of turnovers and short-fields. I'd have a hard time seeing FSU score a single point.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Klatt believes this is the list for Bama:

Sarkisian
DeBoer
Lanning
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:31 pm He whined and bitched his way into the playoffs over FSU and after he lost to Michigan, FSU fans began flooding him and his wife with threats and hate mail.

The FSU fan base harassed him into retirement
Saban has seen everything in his life, all kinds of hate mail for having one of the most dominant football dynasties college football has ever seen. You and your fellow obnoxious fans don't have that type of control over Saban's life choices. I second @uscbucsfan1 observation that you are quite delusional.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:52 pm Klatt believes this is the list for Bama:

Sarkisian
DeBoer
Lanning
Lanning already announced he is staying at Oregon.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ing-oregon

I don't see Sarkisian leaving Texas. That's a prestigious job. I think they go after DeBoer, and DeBeor would be wise to take it. Kiffin should also be in the mix, but if Saban has a say in who gets hired, I don't know if he would recommend Kiffin. The two have had an icy relationship.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Kiffin has mature some but he’s still unstable. I wouldn’t do it.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

I'm guessing it's probably Sark, if not, then Kiffin.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

I have no idea who wants to be the guy that replaced "The Man".

And yes, I know Bama is the plum job right now. I'm just sayin
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Reportedly DeBoer and Norvell are top candidates being vetted. Tommy Rees a wild card.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sp ... 188404007/

If Norvell goes, does FSU go after Prime?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:26 pm Reportedly DeBoer and Norvell are top candidates being vetted. Tommy Rees a wild card.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sp ... 188404007/

If Norvell goes, does FSU go after Prime?
Could FSU afford prime? Legit question.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:42 pm Cross Lanning off the list.

DURRR
Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:33 pm This is why no one takes you seriously, Navy.

Breaking: Dan Lanning announced he is staying at Oregon Football after posting a video to social media.

As I was saying
Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:16 am If it's not Dan Lanning, then Mike Norvell and Steve Sarkisian are the person to keep an eye on.

It's tough to replace GOAT like Nick Saban. There will be growing pains. They can't expect an undefeated season every year. End of an era
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Mike Norvell is stayimg at FSU. Good for him.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Phantom wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:06 pm Mike Norvell is stayimg at FSU. Good for him.
Surprised. Thought he would take it. Thought he should have taken it. But that’s a non-issue now.

Sounds like Kalen DeBoer the target. Now he’d be crazy not to take it.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Damn

Breaking: University of Washington coach Kalen DeBoer is negotiating a contract to replace Nick Saban at Alabama Football, sources told Chris Low and Mark Schlabach.