Buccaneers win third consecutive division title, Eagles comes to Tampa Round 1

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Buc2

Re: Buccaneers win third consecutive division title, Eagles comes to Tampa Round 1

Post by Buc2 »

Here's some analysis of SB chances from ESPN. I know, I know. It's ESPN. Still fun.

Below are the Bucs & Eagles. Click here to read their analysis for all the teams.
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-8)
Odds to win Super Bowl: +7500
FPI chance to make Super Bowl: 1.7%

First-game outlook: The Buccaneers are making their fourth consecutive playoff appearance and start it with a familiar opponent, as they will host the Eagles on Monday, Jan. 15 (8:15 p.m. ET, ESPN/ABC/ESPN+). These teams met in Week 3 at Raymond James Stadium, a 25-11 Eagles win in which the Bucs were held to 174 yards of offense. Tampa Bay has done well against the Eagles in the playoffs though, winning three of five meetings.

Reason for hope: The Bucs found a brand of winning football that culminated in a four-game win streak prior to their Week 17 loss to the Saints. In that streak -- particularly the wins over the Packers and Jaguars -- they were able to sustain drives and score on offense, averaging 28.5 points per game. Quarterback Baker Mayfield was at his best in that span too, throwing nine touchdowns and just one interception. The defense -- marred by inconsistency midway through the season -- regained some of its lost swagger and surrendered just 18.8 points per game in that span.

Reason for concern: Which Bucs team will show up? They've been wildly inconsistent this season between offensive coordinator Dave Canales' growing pains and a defense that gives up big chunk plays but somehow remains stout in the red zone. The offense's momentum came to a screeching halt in Week 17, and the Bucs were back to self-inflicted wounds with penalties, drops and fumbles. Plus, Mayfield is dealing with a rib injury that could affect his ability to throw. -- Jenna Laine

Stat to know: Safety Antoine Winfield Jr.'s numbers are, to put it simply, ridiculous. We'll start with the box score numbers: He has forced six fumbles, recorded three interceptions and delivered six sacks. But the advanced numbers back his impact, too: His run stop win rate ranks first among all defensive backs with at least 50 qualifying plays.

5. Philadelphia Eagles (11-6)
Odds to win Super Bowl: +1200
FPI chance to make Super Bowl: 5.1%

First-game outlook: The Eagles start their third straight playoff campaign with a wild-card matchup at the Buccaneers on Monday, Jan. 15 (8:15 p.m. ET, ESPN/ABC/ESPN+). The Eagles face a team they handled easily in Week 3 en route to a 25-11 victory. This is the sixth-ever postseason meeting between the teams, with the Bucs owning a 3-2 advantage. Philadelphia has lost its past two playoff meetings with the Buccaneers, the most recent a 31-15 defeat in the 2021 wild-card round.

Reason for hope: The Eagles' offense remains one of the most talented units in the NFL. Quarterback Jalen Hurts, an MVP candidate prior to the team's recent slide, operates behind one of the best offensive lines in football and alongside arguably the top receiver duo in franchise history in A.J. Brown and DeVonta Smith. The play design could use more creativity, and the untimely penalties and turnovers need to stop, but this group is capable of putting up big numbers even against the league's best.

Reason for concern: The defense. A switch from Sean Desai to Matt Patricia as the defensive playcaller has not led to the desired turnaround to this point. The Eagles struggle on third down, in the red zone and in pass defense, and now the strength of the unit -- rush defense -- is faltering as well. Philadelphia will likely exit the postseason early if there isn't marked improvement.

Stat to know: Amid plenty of disappointment, one Eagles stalwart has kept his level of play incredibly high: Lane Johnson. The Eagles' right tackle came into Week 18 ranked first and ninth in run block win rate and pass block win rate, respectively, among all tackles.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Re: Buccaneers win third consecutive division title, Eagles comes to Tampa Round 1

Post by Doctor »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:59 am If the Packers and Rams win and we also win we'd host a 2nd playoff game against the Rams. If we win that game and the Packers beat the 49ers, we'd host the NFC Championship game.
If there's a hidden route here I think its the Rams and us advancing. Rams win a divisional bout vs the 49ers. Bucs play a killer road game against chokey Cowboys.

Rams at Tampa NFCCG.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:41 am
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:59 am If the Packers and Rams win and we also win we'd host a 2nd playoff game against the Rams. If we win that game and the Packers beat the 49ers, we'd host the NFC Championship game.
If there's a hidden route here I think its the Rams and us advancing. Rams win a divisional bout vs the 49ers. Bucs play a killer road game against chokey Cowboys.

Rams at Tampa NFCCG.
I want no parts of the Rams. They honestly look as good as they did during their SB run. They advancing far wouldn't shock me 1 bit. Of course you gotta play the best to win but man, they are firing on all cylinders.
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Especially Puka Nacua
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The Rams have been a thorn in the Bucs' side since 1979 in the playoffs.

9-0

The Catch. Damn you Ricky 11-6

The bomb to Kupp 30-27
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Something occurred to me. This isn't the old "yucks" anymore. Most of these guys, specifically guys who have been here starting in 2017, have been to the playoffs more seasons than they haven't. Winning is the norm for them now. They are built for this and know what it takes to win.

Part of core of this team from the SB, when they went in as the 5 seed and won it all, are here. These guys know how to win in the playoffs. So nothing would shock me honestly.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:47 am Something occurred to me. This isn't the old "yucks" anymore. Most of these guys, specifically guys who have been here starting in 2017, have been to the playoffs more seasons than they haven't. Winning is the norm for them now. They are built for this and know what it takes to win.

Part of core of this team from the SB, when they went in as the 5 seed and won it all, are here. These guys know how to win in the playoffs. So nothing would shock me honestly.
I mean, those guys are 1-2 in their last two playoff appearances, so recent history ain't looking too bright.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:56 am
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:47 am Something occurred to me. This isn't the old "yucks" anymore. Most of these guys, specifically guys who have been here starting in 2017, have been to the playoffs more seasons than they haven't. Winning is the norm for them now. They are built for this and know what it takes to win.

I mean, those guys are 1-2 in their last two playoff appearances, so recent history ain't looking too bright.
Better than the majority of teams and players in this league can say.

The Bucs have the longest active playoff streak the NFC over the past 4 years than the Bucs. No NFC team has won more playoff games over the past 4 years than the Bucs.

If we're using your logic, this bodes extremely well for the Bucs as we are quite literally the most experienced and successful playoff team in the NFC.

I'll wait for you to move your goal post.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The Bucs have four players who legitimately make a HOF level impact (Winfield, LVD, Wirfs, Evans).
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:30 am

The Bucs have the longest active playoff streak the NFC over the past 4 years than the Bucs. No NFC team has won more playoff games over the past 4 years than the Bucs.

If we're using your logic, this bodes extremely well for the Bucs as we are quite literally the most experienced and successful playoff team in the NFC.

My logic? IDK what you're talking about, I simply said this team's core is 1-2 over the last two years.

Also, IMO, experience means nothing whatsoever in the playoffs. When we won the SB with Brady, how many of our core players had ANY playoff experience? How could we ever win with so many inexperienced playoff players?

Previous season wins also mean nothing, whatsoever, to this years' results.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to point out here.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

You are absolutely correct on how the core of this team has playoff and Superbowl experience. And as Snake pointed out, we have 4 HOF type talents. That is why it would be a travesty if this team cannot beat the Eagles this weekend.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Snake wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:08 pm If AJ Brown isnt playing, I actually take the Buccaneers in this game…
If I could forsee that Baker would play the way he has played in the four games prior to the Saints, I would take the Bucs as well
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

We can only hope.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Jonny wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:31 am

You are absolutely correct on how the core of this team has playoff and Superbowl experience. And as Snake pointed out, we have 4 HOF type talents. That is why it would be a travesty if this team cannot beat the Eagles this weekend.
To your point, it was a travesty national media and some of our fan base thought this was a last place team before the season.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:08 pm

To your point, it was a travesty national media and some of our fan base thought this was a last place team before the season.
There were some huge question marks such as O-line, secondary depth and ILB personnel that warranted pessimism of Bucs performance in 2023.

LVD ended being the same LVD we got used to for the last decade and if anything we found out that we have three backups that could be starter worthy material.

Even though we field the worst pass defense in NFL, McCollum and Izien have been decent at their positions and that is something no one expected.

Finally the biggest question mark was the O-line and the emergence of Goedeke as a quality starting Tackle in NFL is by far the biggest surprise and something that gave our offense some teeth, unlike in 22 where Brady had to throw the ball away in 2 seconds.

Combine all of that with a Ryan Tannehill type season from Baker and we are a 9 win team.

I can see why many predicted Bucs to go 4 wins this season.

My issue with Bowles is not as much on player development. It is with his ability to play chess with his roster on game days. The back to back runs in late 3rd quarter against the Saints when Bucs were down 20-0 is what pisses me off about his philosophy. Also blitzing the house while routinely allowing 10 yd cushions on 3rd and 5 for easy conversion. With another good season of drafting, I think Bucs could have a powerhouse of a roster. But I don't feel great about our players being put in best possible positions to succeed as a collective.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:08 pm

No it wasn't (being "a travesty"). Baker Mayfield is AT BEST a low end starter in the NFL. We have a head coach who's had 1 winning season (his first), in 5 years as a HC. We had a new OC who had never been a play caller before. We had an unproven interior OLine, and it was expected that both Atlanta and New Orleans would be better. We also had, what turned out to be a very easy schedule. I think many people had us pegged right... but other's pegged wrong.

Winning that opener turned out to be a season saver for Mayfield and Bowles I think. We lose that game, like we should have, we're 3-8 after Indy and 2 games behind both Atlanta and New Orleans. At that point, I think Mayfield is benched and Bowles possibly loses his job. Had we lost to the Saints week 3, like many expected (because many thought the Saints would be better than what they were), we're 1-7 after the Houston loss. Minnesota turning the ball over 3 times and screwing themselves really altered the season because it kept us within a game of the under achieving Saints and Falcons.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

If our defense can pull off a miracle we can beat the 49ers.

The Eagles looked completely gone yesterday. Should be a toss up there.

The one team we absolutely cannot meet is the Cowboys
Ken

Post by Ken »

Living in Philly these days and all of my Eagles friends and neighbors are so down and out on their team, it's like they are begging for a beatdown and a round of executions. Almost all of them have said they predict a Bucs win.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:45 am
Xandtar wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:19 pm I agree. Yes more time before the Wild Card round, but less time before the divisional round. I think the suits are expecting Buccaneer destruction on prime time, before the Eagle's destruction on the following Saturday. Creative game scheduling to ensure the highest chance that the Cowboys face the Niners in the NFC Championship game.

Cynical? Sure!

Why should I trust the NFL suits to be fair?
The two teams that win on Saturday, will be playing next Saturday and the winner of the Eagles/Bucs game will be on Sunday next week, not Saturday.
Well that's a relief. The suits wouldn't have to put up with irate Eagles fans that way.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Random thing I’ve noticed. Since divisional realignment in 2002, every year the Bucs made the playoffs and had a wild card game they played an NFC East team. Even going back to the two years before realignment we had NFC East opponents. The last time we made the playoffs and avoided playing an NFC East team was 1997. Which is the only season in our history where we made the playoffs and avoided an NFC East opponent. We are just destined to play that division in the postseason.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Ken wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:13 pm Living in Philly these days and all of my Eagles friends and neighbors are so down and out on their team, it's like they are begging for a beatdown and a round of executions. Almost all of them have said they predict a Bucs win.
Yep. A close friend of mine, that has a giant eagle tattooed across his back (it ain’t bc he’s patriotic), text me during the Eagles game: Go Bucs!

They’re completely despondent. It’s like they are hoping to be put out of their misery.

I look forward to our boys doing them the favor.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yep, it’s why Sirianni is on death row express lane. Team looks like it’s quit and has no answers.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

The Bucs had the 26th toughest strength of schedule. Carolin was at 25 and the Sants and Falcons were at 31 and 32.
The Bucs had 9 victories, but only 3 were against teams that ended the season with winning records. Those were New Orleans, Jacksonville and Green Bay who all finished 9-8.
The teams that the Bucs defeated were a combined 58-95. That is a .379 winning percentage.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:08 pm Random thing I’ve noticed. Since divisional realignment in 2002, every year the Bucs made the playoffs and had a wild card game they played an NFC East team. Even going back to the two years before realignment we had NFC East opponents. The last time we made the playoffs and avoided playing an NFC East team was 1997. Which is the only season in our history where we made the playoffs and avoided an NFC East opponent. We are just destined to play that division in the postseason.
That's very interesting. And we've played all 4 teams at least once.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:57 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:08 pm Random thing I’ve noticed. Since divisional realignment in 2002, every year the Bucs made the playoffs and had a wild card game they played an NFC East team. Even going back to the two years before realignment we had NFC East opponents. The last time we made the playoffs and avoided playing an NFC East team was 1997. Which is the only season in our history where we made the playoffs and avoided an NFC East opponent. We are just destined to play that division in the postseason.
It is time for the conspiracy theorists to get into the act and post something.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Not much interesting about it at all actually.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:01 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:57 pm

It is time for the conspiracy theorists to get into the act and post something.

Maybe it will be decided that we get to bounce around in the Salvation Army Bucket.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:14 pm Yep, it’s why Sirianni is on death row express lane. Team looks like it’s quit and has no answers.
I think the real root cause of it with their fans was one of his early pressers in his 1st year when he wanted to plant flowers or some shit.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:14 pm Yep, it’s why Sirianni is on death row express lane. Team looks like it’s quit and has no answers.
So what would it say about our Buccaneers team if we lost to a team that has gone 1-5, has "quit" and whose Coach is on "Death Row?"
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Our iOL has really struggled the last two weeks. It's probably our biggest weakness right now. Against I'd say their biggest strength. Are we smart enough not to run right at them the way we have the last two games?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:03 am Our iOL has really struggled the last two weeks. It's probably our biggest weakness right now. Against I'd say their biggest strength. Are we smart enough not to run right at them the way we have the last two games?
Don't give away our game plan :lol:
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I suspect we'll do a lot of screens, Eagles are awful in space.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:31 am I suspect we'll do a lot of screens, Eagles are awful in space.

I hope we properly execute the word attack.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I hope so too.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Can we get Derrick and Rhonde in the booth?