Russell Wilson To Tampa 2024

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Onthebrink

Re: Russell Wilson To Tampa 2024

Post by Onthebrink »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:21 pm I used to be a fan of Russell Wilson. But he’s a bad leader. He does not adhere to any semblance of a system. He fumbles the ball a lot. He takes tons of sacks. He cant see the middle of the field, which is one of the reasons he bails on pockets constantly. He left Seattle because they wouldn’t capitulate to his demands and he put his personal accolades above the team. He wouldn’t play by Sean Payton’s rules or play in his system in Denver. Go read all the sharp fans’ comments about him. The general narrative is that his stats are a lie, and he does not elevate his teammates.

Just like every other offseason, you need to evaluate every position and see what’s out there. I trust they aren’t gonna go with a quarterback who ran himself out of town twice and isn’t a good leader.
A lot of what you said can be applied to Baker as well. Fumbles a lot. Bails on pockets. Can't see the middle of the field therefore he bails on the pockets. Got ran out of town by 3 teams. His stats were almost identical to Bakers before the benching. Wins are similar. I don't know where the Bucs go but I hope it is not either one of these guys.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I hope they do resign Baker but I don't hate the idea of Russell Wilson even if that's a risk. Duly noted the issues stated.

I think this story is just floating out there in case they can't come to an agreement. Baker has stated multiple times this year he wants to stay and there seems to be mutual agreement.

Hopefully some minds will change if Baker plays well in the postseason.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Moozician wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:13 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:29 pm

Whatever draftee our gm likes, after sitting a year behind Trask
Sitting a year behind...Trask? Why not dump trask and extend Baker?
Problem is, that's no guarantee. Our second round pick (Trask) has yet to start a game.

Jameis was supposed to be our savior, now he's what, 3rd in New Orleans?
How many first tier rookie (or second year) QBs are out there?
Like I said, Carolina traded the farm for the first pic only to EARN the next First Pick (oops... That goes to Da Bears) because their QBotF was unremarkable. Either scouting sucked, or there is more to picking these guys than most GMs know.

Snake says "JJ McCarthy!" I'd be ok with that, I wouldn't mind Penix Jr as well. I don't know amything about the rest of the "crop", and TBH, there ain't no guarantee that these guys would be better than Baker.

I figure that Trask is a dumpster fire, or we should have seen/heard something by now. That's what gets me the most... You never even HEAR anything about him.

I understand that at some point, you gotta train/replace the starting QB, and I swear, if they say "Trask is our boy" and he sucks? Imma just walk away.
I’m assuming Baker is going to command 25m+/year. I’d much rather draft a rookie and pay him that over four years than pay Baker anywhere close to that.
A rookie is a crap shoot, Baker is crap. Sure, this season has been good, but I’m taking his history over a few good games this year.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

And then we get to repeat this plan until we get our own Mahomes. How fun.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:58 am And then we get to repeat this plan until we get our own Mahomes. How fun.
So you’d rather settle for Baker (and pay him a ton of money) as opposed to drafting a rookie?
Snake

Post by Snake »

8-9 hell is hell
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:09 am
Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:58 am And then we get to repeat this plan until we get our own Mahomes. How fun.
So you’d rather settle for Baker (and pay him a ton of money) as opposed to drafting a rookie?
I'm not opposed to drafting a rookie at all, but as a hedge, not the lord and savior. If someone we love is there by all means pull the trigger, any round. But to make Rookie QB plan A without even knowing how the draft falls is a reckless level of hopium abuse.

What's a rookie gonna do? History says most likely bust.

Even if he ends up not busting, for every Stroud there's 9 Picketts. How long until this rookie reaches the 4k 30:10 level Baker is presently at? Yeat 4? 2? Rookie year?

So we're waiting all that time for a lateral move?
Or are we betting the entire make up of this roster with the crossover of the closing window of LVD and Evans and the opening ones of AWJ, YaYa, Kancey that may only exist for a couple more years all on the hope we hit on some super duper rookie that is fire from day 1?

That's the great plan?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:32 am
acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:09 am

I'm not opposed to drafting a rookie at all, but as a hedge, not the lord and savior. If someone we love is there by all means pull the trigger, any round. But to make Rookie QB plan A without even knowing how the draft falls is a reckless level of hopium abuse.

Even if he ends up not busting, for every Stroud there's 9 Picketts. How long until this rookie reaches the 4k 30:10 level Baker is presently at? Yeat 4? 2? Rookie year?

Or are we betting the entire make up of this roster with the crossover of the closing window of LVD and Evans and the opening ones of AWJ, YaYa, Kancey that may only exist for a couple more years all on the hope we hit on some super duper rookie that is fire from day 1?

That's the great plan?
So your plan is for Baker to be the same/better than he is this year going forward, even when his history shows this is the exception, not the rule? I don’t like that plan.
I’m not worried about 2024, I’m worried about 2025-2035 and beyond. With the ~30M per year we save by not paying name means we can have other solid pieces, even better.
I’m not a believer in Baker whatsoever. Sure, a rookie may be a complete bust, but he may be the QBOTF.
It sounds like you’re scared to hand the keys to a rookie as opposed to getting this year play out of Baker. I’d much rather roll the dice than pay baker to be, well, baker.
Where is the hopium for a rookie qb, all of it seems to be rxed in Baker. That’s like these FL docs and the pill mills.
MRM

Post by MRM »

His better days are behind him. No thanks.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

What history? The last 5 weeks, the last 5 months, or the last 5 years?

In data we run analysis to determine the significance of that data and how much to weigh it. When it comes to anything like sports, how do you think that analysis falls? There's a reason what have you done for me lately is a saying.

The shitfest that was his coaching carousel is over. He's a Canales guy now and by god it's a fit. It really is. And I put way more weight on his time under Canales than any of those others. The only winner being McVay is a Baker fan.

I stood here and listened to yall talk all offseason so confidently about how the needle was going to move the other way. How going from Brady to Baker would for sure result in a worse offense, fewer points, and fewer wins.

So forgive me if I believe the people who proved you so thoroughly wrong when they say that they've gotten better but there's still more there and that we haven't even reached our final form yet.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yes, Canales is better than Leftwich, who was the worst OC in the league and is currently out of football at age 43.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:15 am8-9 hell is hell
Putting the cart before the horse here a smidge.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:38 am
Snake wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:15 am8-9 hell is hell
Putting the cart before the horse here a smidge.
17-17 in the last two seasons while playing in the worst division in football. Awesome.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:41 am
Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:32 am

That's the great plan?
So your plan is for Baker to be the same/better than he is this year going forward, even when his history shows this is the exception, not the rule? I don’t like that plan.
I’m not worried about 2024, I’m worried about 2025-2035 and beyond. With the ~30M per year we save by not paying name means we can have other solid pieces, even better.
I’m not a believer in Baker whatsoever. Sure, a rookie may be a complete bust, but he may be the QBOTF.
It sounds like you’re scared to hand the keys to a rookie as opposed to getting this year play out of Baker. I’d much rather roll the dice than pay baker to be, well, baker.
Where is the hopium for a rookie qb, all of it seems to be rxed in Baker. That’s like these FL docs and the pill mills.
I have been impressed with Baker. I just feel like rookie QB puts us back into a losing situation. I like having a competitive game to watch every Sunday.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:07 am What history? The last 5 weeks, the last 5 months, or the last 5 years?

In data we run analysis to determine the significance of that data and how much to weigh it. When it comes to anything like sports, how do you think that analysis falls? There's a reason what have you done for me lately is a saying.

The shitfest that was his coaching carousel is over. He's a Canales guy now and by god it's a fit. It really is. And I put way more weight on his time under Canales than any of those others. The only winner being McVay is a Baker fan.

I stood here and listened to yall talk all offseason so confidently about how the needle was going to move the other way. How going from Brady to Baker would for sure result in a worse offense, fewer points, and fewer wins.

So forgive me if I believe the people who proved you so thoroughly wrong when they say that they've gotten better but there's still more there and that we haven't even reached our final form yet.
What if the following things can be true at the same time?:

1) Canales is a type of coach/mentor to help Baker play confident
2) Canales has the right playbook to allow for a strong armed QB to tear apart defenses with a competent WR crew
3) Canales has a dangerously stubborn dedication to the run game, with inability to adjust until it's too late.

I don't want Wilson. I don't think he is better than Baker. If Baker wasn't to be pursued in 2024, I'd rather have a rookie or Trask start over Wilson because he is textbook definition of over the hill despite what his stats might say.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Resign Baker if he’s up for the job of backup QB. Go draft Penix (Tampa native).

Profit.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CantonJester wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:28 am Resign Baker if he’s up for the job of backup QB. Go draft Penix (Tampa native).

Profit.
He's not and will be getting a starter contract somewhere if not here.

The strategy could be to draft someone in the teens like Penix/Nix/McCarthy. If so you go into next year with that player and Trask.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:51 pm Putting questions about Wilson specifically aside, what I don't understand is why you would let a guy like Baker go and then sign Wilson in his stead. To save a few million, maybe I guess. So you wouldn't be cornered into a multi-year extension, again I suppose that's a point. But I imagine the savings you get would be minimal at best.
If the savings are the difference in Mike Evans staying or going then it’s worth it. I take Russ with Mike over Baker with Godwin and Trey Palmer as his top two targets every day.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:35 am
Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:51 pm Putting questions about Wilson specifically aside, what I don't understand is why you would let a guy like Baker go and then sign Wilson in his stead. To save a few million, maybe I guess. So you wouldn't be cornered into a multi-year extension, again I suppose that's a point. But I imagine the savings you get would be minimal at best.
If the savings are the difference in Mike Evans staying or going then it’s worth it. I take Russ with Mike over Baker with Godwin and Trey Palmer as his top two targets every day.
Why do we think Wilson will sign for less than Mayfield?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Pinning your hopes on a Rookie isn't a solid plan. Brady was drafted when Bledsoe was still on the roster. Same with Favre/Rodgers.

Like its ok to sign Baker and eventually draft someone to take over. It doesn't have to be one or the other or bust. But it benefits having either of these guys medium term.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:36 am
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:35 am

Why do we think Wilson will sign for less than Mayfield?
Like I said earlier. He’s older than Baker and the current narrative around Russ isn’t as positive as Baker’s. It’s possible he doesn’t, but if he does then it’s a move I’m comfortable making.

Fwiw, I think Baker stays and Russ ends up signing with the Falcons or Steelers. Just saying I would be in favor of this move in this scenario.
Backside

Post by Backside »

God no
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:40 am Pinning your hopes on a Rookie isn't a solid plan. Brady was drafted when Bledsoe was still on the roster. Same with Favre/Rodgers.

Like its ok to sign Baker and eventually draft someone to take over. It doesn't have to be one or the other or bust. But it benefits having either of these guys medium term.
This is a very deep class. We can draft someone in the first round to help Baker's Bucs while looking at a more developmental QB later on in the draft.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Please no. Should be Baker if we're sticking with the same regime. End of story
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:58 am Please no. Should be Baker if we're sticking with the same regime. End of story
Agree 100%. The Devil you know.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Not only is it deep, QB is notoriously volatile. Someone who some thought could go as high as top ten will still be there in round 3. Nature of the position.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:57 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:54 pm 98 QB rating 26/8 TD/INT ratio. 67% completion%. Doesn't sound washed up to me. I'd hate to see who you guys think are better realistic options. Gonna go out on a limb and say no one has a name.
I’d rather have Russ than Baker, but not at 50M per year.
Draft a rookie, play Trask next year, profit.
Name 1 new HC who would be okay with Trask as our starter that is a great candidate? Yeah, didn't think so

For context, any new HC would want their QB, and I doubt their QB is whoever is available at 19. They will demand probably one of the top 3. Not "Trask and whoever is left over at 19"
Last edited by kaimaru on Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:05 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:57 pm

I’d rather have Russ than Baker, but not at 50M per year.
Draft a rookie, play Trask next year, profit.
Name 1 new HC who would be okay with Trask as our starter that is a great candidate? Yeah, didn't think so
Did you not read the “draft a rookie” part???
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:07 pm
kaimaru wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:05 pm

For context, any new HC would want their QB, and I doubt their QB is whoever is available at 19. They will demand probably one of the top 3. Not "Trask and whoever is left over at 19" or do you just want a shit sandwich with the next HC?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:09 pm
acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:07 pm
For context, any new HC would want their QB, and I doubt their QB is whoever is available at 19. They will demand probably one of the top 3. Not "Trask and whoever is left over at 19" or do you just want a shit sandwich with the next HC?
He doesn't care what this team does. He's made that perfectly clear.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Since we're playing the it-won't-happen game, if you're going old, not just old school, reunite Brady with Belichick in Tampa.