Sooo.... Carolina?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bucsfan83

Re: Sooo.... Carolina?

Post by Bucsfan83 »

Wow, to go 3-0, then go 0-4. Guess I really didn't have any reason to fret at all. My bad.
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

Going through 2 QBs you hand picked in 2 years. Wonder if they will have a new regime drafting next year.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

That are rumored to be making a serious offer for Watson. They won't have a draft pick for years at this rate.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:03 pm That are rumored to be making a serious offer for Watson. They won't have a draft pick for years at this rate.
Those same rumors said Watson was going to Miami last weekend.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

@nybf Miami is still in the rumor. Supposedly Miami and Carolina have the biggest interests but there are also other "unnamed" suitors.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

nybf wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:50 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:03 pm That are rumored to be making a serious offer for Watson. They won't have a draft pick for years at this rate.
https://theathletic.com/news/panthers-e ... LAop3iqqk/

The guy writing this article is pretty plugged in to the Panthers, but we'll see.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Mike Florio on Monday said it's 75% Dolphins, 25% Panthers, and didn't allow even a percentage point for a third team or for "stays with Texans after the deadline."

We better have our fingers crossed. Watson going to the Dolphins instead of the Panthers, and the Panthers thus "trading" Watson for more Sam Darnold, is the best thing to happen to the Bucs since Brady signed.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
TDTB12

Post by TDTB12 »

MJW wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:13 am Watson going to the Dolphins instead of the Panthers, and the Panthers thus "trading" Watson for more Sam Darnold, is the best thing to happen to the Bucs since Brady signed.
It truly is the best possible outcome. The Bucs have been so lucky since Brady signed. They haven't had to play many teams at their best because of injuries or Covid. And the QB situation in the NFC South got monumentally worse with the exception of Brady.

The result is more wins against weaker teams and the ability to pad the numbers against weaker competition. The last thing we'd need is Deshaun Watson in this division. That's a very scary prospect in itself.
MJW

Post by MJW »

TDTB12 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:13 am
MJW wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:13 am Watson going to the Dolphins instead of the Panthers, and the Panthers thus "trading" Watson for more Sam Darnold, is the best thing to happen to the Bucs since Brady signed.
It truly is the best possible outcome. The Bucs have been so lucky since Brady signed. They haven't had to play many teams at their best because of injuries or Covid. And the QB situation in the NFC South got monumentally worse with the exception of Brady.

The result is more wins against weaker teams and the ability to pad the numbers against weaker competition. The last thing we'd need is Deshaun Watson in this division. That's a very scary prospect in itself.
It's kinda ebbing away from memory with all the drama, but Watson really is that good. Hall Of Fame good. If he came to the NFC, in a couple of years he'd be in the conversation with Dak, Murray, etc, as the best QB in the conference. I don't want him anywhere near the NFC South. Especially the Panthers. They're building an excellent defensive team. They have a good coach. They have one of the best WR trios in the league. Plug Watson in there - if not this season than next - and that's an annual problem I'd rather not have.
Let's roll another joint
nybf

Post by nybf »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:11 pm
nybf wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:50 pm

The guy writing this article is pretty plugged in to the Panthers, but we'll see.
Hard to ever be wrong when you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Panthers will not pursue Deshaun Watson before the Nov. 2 trade deadline, per source. (1st @RapSheet)
Watson could be an option for CAR in the offseason, depending on his legal situation. I'm told the no-trade waiver wasn't an issue as it related to Panthers.

Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

nybf wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:37 am
Pirate Life wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:11 pm

Hard to ever be wrong when you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Panthers will not pursue Deshaun Watson before the Nov. 2 trade deadline, per source. (1st @RapSheet)
Watson could be an option for CAR in the offseason, depending on his legal situation. I'm told the no-trade waiver wasn't an issue as it related to Panthers.

Not talking out of both sides of his mouth, just reacting to new info that Watson will only waive his no trade clause for Miami. Carolina (and everyone else) is out after that came out late last night.
nybf

Post by nybf »

It says right there the no trade wasn't an issue.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Maybe not, could be the Texans wanted more than Carolina offered or Watson's legal status is an issue. Still, they were making offers for Watson after the debacle this weekend.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

What are the odds on Watson actually being on the field next year? His potential move to the Panthers may well be a non issue
nybf

Post by nybf »

Pirate Life wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:22 pm Maybe not, could be the Texans wanted more than Carolina offered or Watson's legal status is an issue. Still, they were making offers for Watson after the debacle this weekend.
So when the guy said they were making offers, that was true.

When the guy said they were out, that was also true.

But when the guy said the no-trade was not an issue, that was false?
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

nybf wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:31 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:22 pm Maybe not, could be the Texans wanted more than Carolina offered or Watson's legal status is an issue. Still, they were making offers for Watson after the debacle this weekend.

Didn't say it was?
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

nybf wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:31 pm

Didn't say it was?
Nano

Post by Nano »

According to FOX insider Joel Klatt, Matt Rhule is "not sold on staying in the NFL" and could be a target for bigger schools.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nano wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:36 pm According to FOX insider Joel Klatt, Matt Rhule is "not sold on staying in the NFL" and could be a target for bigger schools.
I don't buy it. Not the "target" part. The part where he'd leave.

Dude is one of the better coaches in the league already.
He has a very exciting talent base in place in Carolina.
He's on Year Two of a 7 Year, $60 mil contract.
Despite a flurry of deals for guys like Stephon Gilmore and CJ Henderson, he has a full compliment of picks this year.

You don't use that situation as "leverage" to go coach in the Pac-12 or whatever. Unless you genuinely believe you're going to fail where you are.
Let's roll another joint
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

MJW wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:51 am
Nano wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:36 pm According to FOX insider Joel Klatt, Matt Rhule is "not sold on staying in the NFL" and could be a target for bigger schools.

Despite a flurry of deals for guys like Stephon Gilmore and CJ Henderson, he has a full compliment of picks this year.

You don't use that situation as "leverage" to go coach in the Pac-12 or whatever. Unless you genuinely believe you're going to fail where you are.
I know you’ve been on the Rhule train from jump, but what are you seeing in him to say he’s one of the better coaches in the league?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The metric of gaging how successful or good a coach is will always be wins. Always. Right now Rhule is 8-15 with some bad losses. 4 in a row in fact. They are currently tied for 6th in most penalties as well.

He's only a year and a half in, but if you've seen enough to say he's one of the better coaches in the league, you're talking out of your ass.
BLT

Post by BLT »

MJW wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:51 am

Or you prefer the culture of coaching in College vs. Pros.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:50 am The metric of gaging how successful or good a coach is will always be wins. Always. Right now Rhule is 8-15 with some bad losses. 4 in a row in fact. They are currently tied for 6th in most penalties as well.

He's only a year and a half in, but if you've seen enough to say he's one of the better coaches in the league, you're talking out of your ass.
Because presumably, a coach will have the same wins with the '85 Bears he will with the '08 Lions, I guess?

I've saw enough of Baylor, and enough of the Panthers, to be of the opinion that Rhule is a good coach.

We all don't need Skip Bayless to explain to us how football works.

By the way, superb logic. "Top college teams are hot after Matt Rhule because he's been bad."

This is why nobody ever said, "Ask the barber his analysis of the NFL."
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:16 am
King Bootz wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:50 am The metric of gaging how successful or good a coach is will always be wins. Always. Right now Rhule is 8-15 with some bad losses. 4 in a row in fact. They are currently tied for 6th in most penalties as well.

Because presumably, a coach will have the same wins with the '85 Bears he will with the '08 Lions, I guess?

I've saw enough of Baylor, and enough of the Panthers, to be of the opinion that Rhule is a good coach.

By the way, superb logic. "Top college teams are hot after Matt Rhule because he's been bad."

My point stands. Talking out of your ass is nothing new for you. Can't wait to have that draft where Andrew Luck is taken over guys like Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady.
BLT

Post by BLT »

MJW wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:16 am

AKA you made a pick (Rhule is a good coach) and you're sticking with it no matter what.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I can't say Rhule is one of the better coaches in the NFL. Certainly not yet.

But I do think he's building a good team and culture for the Panthers. He inherited an old and not very good defense and has already transformed it into a young and fast defense that is getting better and better.

Now he needs to transform the offense. Mainly the Oline and QB. But he has an Owner in David Tepper that is willing to do what is necessary to win and understands the importance of the QB position in the NFL. So it won't be long before Carolina has the QB spot figured out imo.

They have to know they aren't winning in the playoffs (assuming they get there in the next year or two) w/ Sam Darnold at QB.

I can understand why colleges would be after Rhule. But I don't think he's going anywhere for a while.
BLT

Post by BLT »

MJW wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:24 am
TDTB12 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:13 am

It's kinda ebbing away from memory with all the drama, but Watson really is that good. Hall Of Fame good. If he came to the NFC, in a couple of years he'd be in the conversation with Dak, Murray, etc, as the best QB in the conference. I don't want him anywhere near the NFC South. Especially the Panthers. They're building an excellent defensive team. They have a good coach. They have one of the best WR trios in the league. Plug Watson in there - if not this season than next - and that's an annual problem I'd rather not have.
Watson is good, but calling him Hall of Fame good is disrespectful to HOFers.

Plus, it's odd to see you give him so much credit... given his lack of super bowls and playoff wins. ;)

Try to be consistent.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:42 am I can't say Rhule is one of the better coaches in the NFL. Certainly not yet.

But I do think he's building a good team and culture for the Panthers. He inherited an old and not very good defense and has already transformed it into a young and fast defense that is getting better and better.

Now he needs to transform the offense. Mainly the Oline and QB. But he has an Owner in David Tepper that is willing to do what is necessary to win and understands the importance of the QB position in the NFL. So it won't be long before Carolina has the QB spot figured out imo.

They have to know they aren't winning in the playoffs (assuming they get there in the next year or two) w/ Sam Darnold at QB.

I can understand why colleges would be after Rhule. But I don't think he's going anywhere for a while.
In the spirit of the new "but look who they played" narrative, the Panthers defense looked good against the Jets, Texans, and Saints. The 32nd, 31st, 17th ranked offenses respectively. Against the other 4 teams they've played, Minnesota, Philly, NYG, and Dallas, they average allowing 29ppg.

That defense is not very good at all honestly. The pass offenses they've faced outside of Dallas and Minnesota are terrible at best. And despite not seeing many passes thrown on them they have allowed 11 TD passes to just 4 INTs. Against the run, they allow 4.4. a carry and over 110 yards a game.

@BLT is right. A narrative was created that Rhule was a great coach that could do.....Well no one really knows for sure. The narrative is just that he's a great coach and people can't afford to back pedal at this point.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Dread wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:42 am I can't say Rhule is one of the better coaches in the NFL. Certainly not yet.
That's because literally no rational person would say that.

It's manic.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Are there any good coaches in the NFL or are there a bunch of coaches with good QBs? Lol.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Snake wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:24 pm Are there any good coaches in the NFL or are there a bunch of coaches with good QBs? Lol.
I've thought about this and I feel like you have very few exceptions i.e Bill Belichek who can overachieve with an inferior team, and on the opposite end of the spectrum i.e Todd Haley who is so bad he can't win with talented rosters.

But, for the most part 90 percent of coaches are only as good as the talent they have access to.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

BLT wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:50 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:24 pm Are there any good coaches in the NFL or are there a bunch of coaches with good QBs? Lol.
I've thought about this and I feel like you have very few exceptions i.e Bill Belichek who can overachieve with an inferior team, and on the opposite end of the spectrum i.e Todd Haley who is so bad he can't win with talented rosters.

But, for the most part 90 percent of coaches are only as good as the talent they have access to.
While it's true that your QB will determine your success (hence new coaches often have a new QB tied to them). We can all agree that some coaches are inherently crap like Adam Gase. Look what Sean Payton is doing with Jamies. True, he always have a great defense. So does Bill Belichick, usually. I think a great defensive minded coach can succeed with mediocre QB play, but offensive minded coaches, like Andy Reid definitely needs a great QB. Alex Smith was like Ryan Tannehill. He eventually "got it" after many years of not getting it. Would A. Smith or Tannehill win you a super bowl? Who knows. I mean Foles won one. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut. I mean Flacco won one. Eli won two.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

So now, Carolina is offering 3 1st round picks and Christian McCaffrey for Deshaun Watson?

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/report ... 06279.html
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

kaimaru wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:46 pm So now, Carolina is offering 3 1st round picks and Christian McCaffrey for Deshaun Watson?

Not that I believe this, but CAR would be wise to want to move in from that god awful contract they gave CMC
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

kaimaru wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:46 pm So now, Carolina is offering 3 1st round picks and Christian McCaffrey for Deshaun Watson?

If I'm the Texans, I take that deal.