Sooo.... Carolina?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
AJPG

Re: Sooo.... Carolina?

Post by AJPG »

Lol
nybf

Post by nybf »

CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

nybf wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:52 am I'm not concerned about the panthers either, but if what you saw last night was "at best a below average qb," you have no idea what you're looking at.
Against Houston? :roll:

How'd he look the last two weeks? Not counting the 4th Q when the Panthers started it being down 33-14, Darnold is 36-61 (59%), for 365 yards 1 TD, and 5 Int's. Would you say that's "at best a below average qb"?

Let's include that Houston game and the 4th Q that meant nothing to Dallas, Darnold is 70-110 (63.6%), for 782 yards with 3 TD's and 5 Int's in his last 3 games. That's not "at best a below average qb"?
Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:41 am
nybf wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:52 am I'm not concerned about the panthers either, but if what you saw last night was "at best a below average qb," you have no idea what you're looking at.

How'd he look the last two weeks? Not counting the 4th Q when the Panthers started it being down 33-14, Darnold is 36-61 (59%), for 365 yards 1 TD, and 5 Int's. Would you say that's "at best a below average qb"?

Let's include that Houston game and the 4th Q that meant nothing to Dallas, Darnold is 70-110 (63.6%), for 782 yards with 3 TD's and 5 Int's in his last 3 games. That's not "at best a below average qb"?
But the yards!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The idea that Sam Darnold is anything more than a below average QB stems exclusively from him being the #2 overall pick 4 drafts ago. That's it.

He's not a good QB. Can't read a defense. Makes bad decisions. Not productive enough. Carolina got him for relative peanuts and didn't even sign him to an extension. His 5th option was exercised but is not guaranteed until the new league year starts. So if the trends continue, expect Carolina to be starting a new QB in 2022.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doooshnzl wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:57 am
CannonFire wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:41 am

But the yards!
You know how much this fanbase loves those yards.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Darnold is pretty far down on the list of things that worry me when playing the Panthers. Six touchdowns with a matching six interceptions after five games does not an elite quarterback make.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Darnold was one of those guys coming out where it made me question the entire decision making process for a sports league. Like, what are they seeing that I am not? He was clearly a mediocre QB prospect. He was big and moved well. That’s it.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Sam Darnold is absolutely a less than mediocre QB what
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

BLT wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:46 pm Sam Darnold is absolutely a less than mediocre QB what
So, against the Buccaneers secondary, he will look like Joe Montana of the 49ers years?
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

13F11B wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:53 pm
BLT wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:46 pm Sam Darnold is absolutely a less than mediocre QB what
So, against the Buccaneers secondary, he will look like Joe Montana of the 49ers years?
Against our Pass D, we'll make anyone look like Joe Montana.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Didn't know if it was Darnold or the Jets.

It was clearly both. The Jets did almost nothing to help him out and were coached first by a defensive guy and then by a joke.

But clearly, Darnold wasn't part of the solution. Now that he's (generally) in a good spot, he's doing the same stupid stuff he was doing with the Jets. Errant throws, questionable decisions, etc. Dude is a bust.

And that's great news for us, because if he turned out to be great, we'd have a real problem on our hands with the Panthers.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:16 pm Image
Ha! Well done.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Bucsfan83 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:32 pm
13F11B wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:53 pm

Except Jalen Hurts
MJW

Post by MJW »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:19 am
Bucsfan83 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:32 pm

Except Jalen Hurts
Hurts seems limited to me. Granted, we had heat on him most of the night. But he seems to struggle with reads and throwing guys open consistently. And unlike our friend Lamar Jackson, he's not a talented enough runner to compensate for that. And the Eagles don't seem interested in handing the ball off and helping his down and distance very much.

I'll be interested to see how he develops. I see a borderline starter/top backup right now. A guy who can win games, but probably isn't going to consistently be the reason you win games.
Let's roll another joint
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

MJW wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:31 am
Primeminister wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:19 am

Except Jalen Hurts
Hurts seems limited to me. Granted, we had heat on him most of the night. But he seems to struggle with reads and throwing guys open consistently. And unlike our friend Lamar Jackson, he's not a talented enough runner to compensate for that. And the Eagles don't seem interested in handing the ball off and helping his down and distance very much.

I'll be interested to see how he develops. I see a borderline starter/top backup right now. A guy who can win games, but probably isn't going to consistently be the reason you win games.
I wouldn’t trust my future to Hurts. He is too limited in his ability. He doesn’t pass the ball well enough to win games consistently and that hurting his team. He left a lot of yards and some points on the field tonight.
BlackTrumpFan

Post by BlackTrumpFan »

Sam darnold was getting the praise early in the season that Winston should have got
MJW

Post by MJW »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:33 am
MJW wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:31 am

I wouldn’t trust my future to Hurts. He is too limited in his ability. He doesn’t pass the ball well enough to win games consistently and that hurting his team. He left a lot of yards and some points on the field tonight.
I just don't see any elite traits to his game. He's got a pretty good arm. He's fairly accurate. He's a good athlete, but not exceptional at this level. There's a lot to like about what he can do, but nothing to love.

The list of "this is the guy!" quarterbacks who don't possess at least one elite trait is basically zero. Guys like that generally end up as stopgap starters and top paid backup types.

Unless I'm dead wrong on that, I'd fully expect SIriani to find his own guy this offseason. They have Miami's first rounder along with their own, and at this rate both of them could end up being top ten. They also have Indy's 2nd rounder. They'll have options providing a few guys distinguish themselves as worthwhile prospects.

TBH, it almost reminds me of when Glennon was here. Hurts is a better QB than Glennon. But we had a young guy who did some nice things but clearly was never going to be a star. You don't pass on a QB you love in the draft for a guy like that.
Let's roll another joint
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

MJW wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:02 am
Primeminister wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:33 am

I just don't see any elite traits to his game. He's got a pretty good arm. He's fairly accurate. He's a good athlete, but not exceptional at this level. There's a lot to like about what he can do, but nothing to love.

The list of "this is the guy!" quarterbacks who don't possess at least one elite trait is basically zero. Guys like that generally end up as stopgap starters and top paid backup types.

Unless I'm dead wrong on that, I'd fully expect SIriani to find his own guy this offseason. They have Miami's first rounder along with their own, and at this rate both of them could end up being top ten. They also have Indy's 2nd rounder. They'll have options providing a few guys distinguish themselves as worthwhile prospects.

TBH, it almost reminds me of when Glennon was here. Hurts is a better QB than Glennon. But we had a young guy who did some nice things but clearly was never going to be a star. You don't pass on a QB you love in the draft for a guy like that.
Good call on the draft. I happen to believe Sirianni is a bad coach, but regardless if I’m him I go down with my guy. I wouldn’t leave my career in Hurt’s hands especially considering the ammo they’ll have in the draft.

Hurts doesn’t even seem like an elite scrambler with the football. At no point tonight was I concerned he would carve out defense up with his legs. He can move and needs to be accounted for, but he simply isn’t a weapon back there.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Darnold- 6-20 65 yards and a pick. He is who he is.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Darnold has a bunch of drops going against him as well
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Darnold has converted 4th & 10 and 4th & 6 to come within 2 points of tying.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Tie game with 42 seconds to go. Wow
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

3-3. We still worried?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Insert cat jumping out of window gif...
Pelagic_and_Pewter

Post by Pelagic_and_Pewter »

It was cute while it lasted.
BLT

Post by BLT »

MJW wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:03 am Didn't know if it was Darnold or the Jets.

It was clearly both. The Jets did almost nothing to help him out and were coached first by a defensive guy and then by a joke.

But clearly, Darnold wasn't part of the solution. Now that he's (generally) in a good spot, he's doing the same stupid stuff he was doing with the Jets. Errant throws, questionable decisions, etc. Dude is a bust.
No offense but, duh.

I really don't know anyone that thought Sam Darnold was going to be a good QB coming out of USC either. Most people thought that was a bad pick by the Jets.
BLT

Post by BLT »

BlackTrumpFan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:46 am Sam darnold was getting the praise early in the season that Winston should have got
You're dumb.
MJW

Post by MJW »

BLT wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:16 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:03 am Didn't know if it was Darnold or the Jets.

No offense but, duh.

I really don't know anyone that thought Sam Darnold was going to be a good QB coming out of USC either. Most people thought that was a bad pick by the Jets.
This is some hardcore revisionist history. I would say probably 7 out of 10 of the talking heads expected Darnold to be the #1 overall pick that year. There was mild surprise when he wasn't, to say the least.

As for his game, I watched the Vikings game this week. Darnold...the guy has more talent than I gave him credit for. His drive, down 8, late in the 4th, was one of the best drives I've seen a quarterback put together all year. He completed two big throws on 4th down that were absolute, elite QB moneytime throws. He threw in a few huge scrambles, too. It's all forgotten now because they lost, but you should watch the game highlights and see that drive.

I seriously doubt he's ever going to be consistent enough to be great. At least, I haven't seen it yet. But when he's on, he's really damn good. He's a much different QB than Winston, but in that sense they're similar. He'll absolutely win you games. But he'll lose you games too.
Let's roll another joint
BLT

Post by BLT »

Not in my opinion...
Dread

Post by Dread »

MJW wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:48 am
BLT wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:16 pm

No offense but, duh.

This is some hardcore revisionist history. I would say probably 7 out of 10 of the talking heads expected Darnold to be the #1 overall pick that year. There was mild surprise when he wasn't, to say the least.

As for his game, I watched the Vikings game this week. Darnold...the guy has more talent than I gave him credit for. His drive, down 8, late in the 4th, was one of the best drives I've seen a quarterback put together all year. He completed two big throws on 4th down that were absolute, elite QB moneytime throws. He threw in a few huge scrambles, too. It's all forgotten now because they lost, but you should watch the game highlights and see that drive.

I seriously doubt he's ever going to be consistent enough to be great. At least, I haven't seen it yet. But when he's on, he's really damn good. He's a much different QB than Winston, but in that sense they're similar. He'll absolutely win you games. But he'll lose you games too.
DJ and Bucky from NFLN's 'Move the Sticks' podcast both seem to agree that Darnold could end up having a Ryan Tannehill type of career arc.

They also use an analogy I like when describing QBs that they are either 'trucks or trailers' which means they either have the goods/talent pull the team up and make everyone better (elite QBs like Mahomes, Herbert, LJ, Brady, Allen, Kyler, Russ, ARod) are "trucks", or they require a great roster and scheme to be a good team to pull them across the finish line as if they are a trailer getting towed (most other QBs like Baker, Cousins, Tannehill, etc)

As it relates to Sam Darnold, he's a trailer (at-best).
BLT

Post by BLT »

When you give Sam Darnold more respect than Lamar Jackson it’s time for a break.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Panthers are a team we need to beat twice, I shouldnt have to tell ya.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Dread wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:10 am
MJW wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:48 am

DJ and Bucky from NFLN's 'Move the Sticks' podcast both seem to agree that Darnold could end up having a Ryan Tannehill type of career arc.

They also use an analogy I like when describing QBs that they are either 'trucks or trailers' which means they either have the goods/talent pull the team up and make everyone better (elite QBs like Mahomes, Herbert, LJ, Brady, Allen, Kyler, Russ, ARod) are "trucks", or they require a great roster and scheme to be a good team to pull them across the finish line as if they are a trailer getting towed (most other QBs like Baker, Cousins, Tannehill, etc)

As it relates to Sam Darnold, he's a trailer (at-best).
Yeah, I think this is a pretty good take.