Mike Evans Signed

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Mike Evans (Licht said there’s a plan to resume talks this offseason)

Post by Doctor »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:28 pm This tells me the Bucs are lowballing the hell out of him.
Not at all. I think they have a really solid offer in place they both like. Mike just wants to do the wine and dine tour once in his life.

Of course, if there's something truly outrageous offered that Mike would actually consider taking he'd bring it back for us to possibly rework. But I really doubt that. As an overall package we're really hard to beat. Though there are some contenders out there if they really wanted to drop the hammer.
Snake

Post by Snake »

What evidence do you have to believe any of what you just said?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:41 am What evidence do you have to believe any of what you just said?
The Bucs aren’t going to insult Mike Evans by low-balling him.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Snake wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:41 am What evidence do you have to believe any of what you just said?
Why would Licht waste everyone’s time by lowballing (insulting) Evans? He’s testing the FA waters because that’s what a competent union man would do. He’s one of the greatest WR of all time, so why not push the envelope?

That said, the Ravens are the team that needs to put together an offer the Bucs would have a hard time matching.

Zay Flowers is another ”incident” from being run from the league, and all of a sudden that WR corps looks pretty pedestrian.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

There’s a reason around the league elite level players don’t reach free agency. This fanbase isn’t use to having elite level players and most clearly don’t watch or follow the league beyond this team so the responses don’t surprise me 1 bit.

The Bucs are conducting very bad NFL business when it comes to Mike Evans.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:44 am
And you know this how?
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

My personal feeling is Evans is going to explore his options and come back to TB if those options don’t come to fruition. If KC, Buffalo, or Houston come calling and offer him the $$$ he is seeking, he will go there. He said he wants to play with an elite qb…that’s not really what Baker is. Baker fits more in the “suitable qb” category.

However if plan A goes awry, plan B is the Bucs. I would say it’s 50/50 right now….actually 60/40 in Bucs favor.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:32 am

And you know this how?
I have JL on speed dial.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:02 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:32 am

And you know this how?
I have JL on speed dial.
We all know this is bs because Licht told me I'm the only poster with his digits.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:36 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:09 am

Like I said before. Evans is now 30 years old. He can still play at a high level but for how long? That's why this contract is one that you frontload, so in the case that he does decline, you can let him go a couple years later with a minimal cap hit.

Also, seeing as he is now 30, it's time to start grooming his replacement. Johnny Wilson from FSU would be perfect as he's got similar height and wingspan. Wilson can be had in the third round.
Perfect since he is known for his dropped passes!
Actually, he improved in that aspect this year. And he just ran a 4.53 at the Combine. That 40 time, along with his size, will probably bump him up to the second round. Imagine a younger, faster Mike Evans that you don't have to pay big bucks to right off the bat.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:54 am
kaimaru wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:36 pm

Perfect since he is known for his dropped passes!
Actually, he improved in that aspect this year. And he just ran a 4.53 at the Combine. That 40 time, along with his size, will probably bump him up to the second round. Imagine a younger, faster Mike Evans that you don't have to pay big bucks to right off the bat.
You may be right on that kid, but I'll say that over the years, I've come to little to no stock in any Bucs' fans opinions of college players from FSU, Miami FL, and Florida. Too much blind homerism and hating to get a realistic perspective.

On that front, if you think the kid IS (not can be), a faster and younger version of Mike Evans, then the Bucs should be looking to trade up to get him in the 1st round... because that means he's a top 10 talent.

If he CAN BE (and not is), a faster and younger version of Mike Evans, then the Bucs should re-sign Mike Evans and draft someone else in the 2nd round because they're about to give a mediocre to below average QB about $30M and that QB only did what he did, because of Mike Evans. You take away Mike Evans and you've made your offense worse.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The Saga is over

Kona

Post by Kona »

Never a doubt, right?

I thought he’d want a 3 year deal. But this is nice for both sides
ImYourHuckleBerry831

Re: Mike Evans Signed

Post by ImYourHuckleBerry831 »

Great news! Just cements his legacy of one of if not the greatest Buc of all time, something to be said for playing your entire career with one time. Props to Mike.
Now resign Baker, David, Tag Winfield and focus on the draft.
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

And why would Mike accept an insult? He wouldn’t.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

HALLELUJAH!!!!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Hammy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:27 am

And why would Mike accept an insult? He wouldn’t.
Honestly feel like he took a discount. Love you, Mike Evans.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

What a steal too.

Can't wait to hear the haters complain how JL sucks for not having this done last week or whatever.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:16 am The Saga is over

There was no saga other than the one you created.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:05 am
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:54 am

You may be right on that kid, but I'll say that over the years, I've come to little to no stock in any Bucs' fans opinions of college players from FSU, Miami FL, and Florida. Too much blind homerism and hating to get a realistic perspective.

On that front, if you think the kid IS (not can be), a faster and younger version of Mike Evans, then the Bucs should be looking to trade up to get him in the 1st round... because that means he's a top 10 talent.

If he CAN BE (and not is), a faster and younger version of Mike Evans, then the Bucs should re-sign Mike Evans and draft someone else in the 2nd round because they're about to give a mediocre to below average QB about $30M and that QB only did what he did, because of Mike Evans. You take away Mike Evans and you've made your offense worse.
And like I said above, they should re-sign Evans, but seeing as he is 30, it's time to start grooming his replacement. Wilson would definitely fit the mold
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

$52mil cash over 2 years will be 2nd most all time behind Hill.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's official. Kyle Trask is an elite QB.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

What a good man

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think I'm going to award this one to the fans.

He was always going to come back after a FA tour. Licht was never going to lose his first born.
But I think after the recent news and outpour Mike just didn't want to do that to the fans or give any impression that he was ever anything than pewter inside. Called up his agent and put an end to the show.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:47 am I think I'm going to award this one to the fans.

He was always going to come back after a FA tour. Licht was never going to lose his first born.
But I think after the recent news and outpour Mike just didn't want to do that to the fans or give any impression that he was ever anything than pewter inside. Called up his agent and put an end to the show.
@Phantom beat you to the punch. No need to guess or try to outsmart anybody.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm literally responding to Phantom.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Crazy this couldn't get done 2 weeks ago, which would've saved up a few million in dead cap.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:34 am What a steal too.

Can't wait to hear the haters complain how JL sucks for not having this done last week or whatever.
Like clockwork
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:07 am
Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:34 am What a steal too.

Like clockwork
It's a fact though. Explain to me why you wouldn't want to put your team in the best possible situation cap wise.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

For the last time it wouldn't have "saved" anything. It just would've given us the option to delay it which isn't something we wanted to do anyway. And even if it were you just do it with this contract hits. Same difference.

By resigning Evans absolutely nothing was loss by that deadline. If you think there was you don't understand the cap.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:35 am
CannonFire wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:05 am

And like I said above, they should re-sign Evans, but seeing as he is 30, it's time to start grooming his replacement. Wilson would definitely fit the mold
Yeah, I saw... but like I said, I don't trust Buc fans opinions of college players from the state of Florida as they're about 99% bias. I was really challenging your take on Wilson. Either he's a future Mike Evans where you make sure you get him and let Evans walk or you just keep Evans and draft another player of need elsewhere. If you extend Evans, it needs to be 4 years. If you draft Wilson in the 2nd round, his contract ends in 4 years. If he and Evans are similar players, they're not going to be on the field for 80% of the snaps unless you plan on running a 4-wide offense. If that happens, sure, but if not (which is where I think we all believe we're going), you're spending a 2nd round pick on a kid who won't get the playing time to warrant that price. Either that, or you're paying Evans a lot of money to be phased out over time.

I'd rather the Bucs draft a better known quantity in the 1st round and replace Evans or just keep Evans and draft another player that addresses a bigger need in the 2nd round. Now, if this Wilson kid could be a replacement for Godwin, then that's fine... but judging by your assessment of Wilson, that's not what he is.

ETA: Nevermind... just saw the post where Evans re-signed for 2 years. I'm shocked that's all it took to bring him back.
Last edited by CannonFire on Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

How many VOID years?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Prepare yourselves for Baker signing within the next 48 hours.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

So, does this mean Evans is retiring after the 2025 season or we go through this again in the 2026 offseason?

OOORRR... is it a deal where the Bucs could trade him before the draft to get real value, since the buying team gets him for 2 seasons and not just 1, and a chance to do an extension?

I have a feeling it's #2... we're going to be going through this again in 2 years. At that point, maybe the deal will be 2 years for $30M.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:22 am Prepare yourselves for Baker signing within the next 48 hours.
I'm hoping they do the smart thing and let him "test the market".