Mike Evans Signed

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: Mike Evans contract

Post by Snake »

Looking through salary cap situations going into the offseason.

Plenty of teams are able to afford paying Mike Evans and would benefit from his services.

Hope Bucs are ready to cut a big check.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Snake wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:36 am Looking through salary cap situations going into the offseason.

Plenty of teams are able to afford paying Mike Evans and would benefit from his services.

Hope Bucs are ready to cut a big check.
While I agree with you in a vacuum, let's be realistic of how many teams would actually offer him a deal. The only teams I expect to offer a big payday are the teams that are desperate for a WR. Teams that are really good, wanting to be great, and needing a WR. You have to look at it that way because if Evans leaves, he's not going to leave to just take money, he'll want to win. That removes every team without a real QB that isn't on an upward trend. When you start looking at the teams with real QB's... how many need a WR who are willing to pay them $25M+ AAV? Outside of teams like KC, LAC, BAL, & DET, I really can't think of anyone else. If Evans hits the market, I think the Chiefs offer a 5 yr/$150M deal with $120M guaranteed. I think that because that's what I believe will be needed to beat out the Chargers. I don't think Baltimore or Detroit will go that high.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Not that they "need' a WR, but Houston would make some sense IMO. Evans makes that offense even more dangerous with CJ Stroud, Nico Collins, a healthy Tank Dell and company. They have the cap space. They are on an upward trend.

Stroud is proving to be one of those QBs that elevates the players around him. But adding a veteran like Evans would really take him to the next level.

Plus, Evans is from near by Galveston and still lives in Texas in the offseason. Might be nice for him to finish his career at "home".
Most hated man in America.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:05 am Not that they "need' a WR, but Houston would make some sense IMO. Evans makes that offense even more dangerous with CJ Stroud, Nico Collins, a healthy Tank Dell and company. They have the cap space. They are on an upward trend.

Stroud is proving to be one of those QBs that elevates the players around him. But adding a veteran like Evans would really take him to the next level.

Plus, Evans is from near by Galveston and still lives in Texas in the offseason. Might be nice for him to finish his career at "home".

And prolly improve Evans catch ratio - which would be huge. Can you even imagine him having a 70% catch ratio.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:09 am
Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:05 am Not that they "need' a WR, but Houston would make some sense IMO. Evans makes that offense even more dangerous with CJ Stroud, Nico Collins, a healthy Tank Dell and company. They have the cap space. They are on an upward trend.

And prolly improve Evans catch ratio - which would be huge. Can you even imagine him having a 80% catch ratio.
He'd have to have a lot more passes thrown to him near the LOS. He's not that kind of receiver.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

See Brandon Aiyuk at 71.4%
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:16 am See Brandon Aiyuk at 71.4%
Even that's a long way from 80%.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:18 am
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:16 am See Brandon Aiyuk at 71.4%
Even that's a long way from 80%.
I'll fix that.
Kona

Post by Kona »

That’s what I’m thinking. Tampa and Houston make the most sense, but money talks. He has a ring now, does he just go to the highest bidder? Or does he look for more of a fit for another SB run and stat padding his HOF resume?
Snake

Post by Snake »

He could get the highest bidder, AND the best quarterback on the market, AND legit shot at multiple playoff runs by going to Houston.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

As long as we're not being far out bid and are bringing back Baker, Evans comes back.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

LOL @ Houston being interested.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:52 pm As long as we're not being far out bid and are bringing back Baker, Evans comes back.
If the Bucs have to "out bid" to get Evans back, then he's not coming back.
Snake

Post by Snake »

CannonFire wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:34 pm LOL @ Houston being interested.
?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Here's a nice write-up about Mr. Evans.
History is calling Mike Evans, but other teams may soon be dialing, too
John Romano | The most accomplished offensive player in Bucs history is heading toward free agency after a 10th consecutive 1,000-yard season.
Capture1.JPG
A fifth Pro Bowl appearance and a 10th consecutive season with 1,000 or more receiving yards punctuated Mike Evans' 2023 season. With free agency beckoning, Evans could be in a Tampa Bay uniform for the final time on Monday night against the Eagles. [ DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD | Times ]

By John RomanoTimes staff
Published Jan. 13|Updated Yesterday

TAMPA — His career, like one of his routes, is best appreciated for its depth.

Ten years later, that’s what we’ve figured out about Mike Evans. It’s no longer enough to suggest he is one of the finest receivers in the NFL today, even if he was just named second-team All-Pro. The longer Evans runs, the closer he gets to overtaking some of the greatest receivers of all time.

How many wideouts have ever topped 11,600 career receiving yards? Less than three dozen. And how many from that group has caught at least 94 touchdown passes? Now, you’re down to 11. And how many pulled this all off by the age of 30?

Well, there’s Randy Moss. And Mike Evans. Guy named Jerry Rice was still 1,500 yards shy of making that cut.

So as much as you’ve watched, applauded and appreciated his performance through the years, know this about Evans: he is even better than you realized. His career, to this point, has been one of minimal drama and maximum results.

And now, his days in Tampa Bay may be hours from ending.

“I’ve thought about it, yeah,” Evans said standing beside his locker on Thursday. “That’s the reality. You have to think about all the possibilities.”

• • •
Capture2.JPG
Mike Evans (13) catches a touchdown pass against the Titans back in November. [ IVY CEBALLO | Times ]

He is a beneficiary, of course, of the modern passing game, but there has always been something old-school about Evans.

Maybe it’s the team-first attitude at a position that has been home to some of history’s greatest divas. Or being in the huddle for 95% of his games and more than 80% of the offense’s snaps across 10 seasons. Or it could be that image of a lone receiver running the deep posts while the rest of the world is catching slants and screens in today’s ball-control passing game.

Do you know how rare it is to average more than 15 yards per catch even after pulling down more than 700 receptions? In the last 10 years, only Evans, Calvin Johnson and Julio Jones kept up that kind of pace. It takes a rare combination of speed to get behind the secondary, and the size/wingspan to give quarterbacks margin for error on downfield routes. Evans and Johnson are 6-5. Jones is 6-3.

“How many guys have that kind of build? Calvin Johnson, D.K. Metcalf, Julio Jones. Bigger receivers who can run, make breaks, play physical, do it all,” said Bucs safety Ryan Neal. “It’s just a special combination but seeing someone like Mike be able to put all this raw ability together and turn it into this professional career is just a beautiful thing to see.

“The work that goes into this speaks for itself. It’s the consistency with multiple quarterbacks across multiple years. It’s a testament to his game, his career, his legacy. It’s just been outstanding.”
Capture3.JPG
Bucs fans support Mike Evans before the start of the Monday Night Football game between the Bucs and Eagles back in September. Evans' time in Tampa may be done after this season. [ DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD | Times ]

He’s caught touchdown passes from Mike Glennon to Baker Mayfield with Tom Brady, Jameis Winston, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown and Blaine Gabbert mixed in between. He’s been deployed by five offensive coordinators across 10 NFL seasons.

And still, his numbers are like a metronome. He’s never had a ridiculous breakout season like Johnson or Cooper Kupp or Tyreek Hill, and yet his overall numbers are comparable or better.

“He’s just an ultimate competitor, he’s exactly what you want,” offensive coordinator Dave Canales said. “He’s the guy that — whatever the stakes are and whatever the score is — he’s still striving to be his best, he’s still striving to score, to get open.

“The last time we played the Eagles, we finally got something going late in the game, we hit Chris (Godwin) close down on the goal line and the next thing you know we’re popping up a ball to Mike. He’d been like, ‘Guys, I’m ready to go, I’ll find a way to score.’ Just watching him battle, watching him continue to compete on every single down.”

This doesn’t happen by accident, of course. In a game that favors youth, Evans may be a better player at age 30 than he was at 25. He figured out earlier in his career that the extra weight he was carrying allowed him to outmuscle defensive backs, but it wouldn’t matter if he couldn’t get a step on them. So he cut his weight from 240 pounds to the 225-230 range.
Capture4.JPG
Bucs wide receiver Mike Evans (13) celebrates with fans after completing a pass for a touchdown during the October game against the Falcons. [ DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD | Times ]

“I’m obviously better than I was in my first three years because I have more explosion,” Evans said. “When I was 25, I could practice harder and longer but I’ve learned to slow down so I have more juice left for the games. I was stronger earlier in my career, now I’m faster, quicker, a little smarter.”

Smart enough to bet on himself this offseason when he didn’t get the contract offer he wanted from the Bucs. Evans shut negotiations down once the regular season began, and he will go into the spring as one of the top 15 free agents in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus. He would almost certainly be an attractive target for his hometown Texans, who have a young quarterback and visions of taking a big step forward.

The Bucs would certainly want to keep him, but the salary cap remains an issue. They need to re-sign Mayfield, or find another quarterback. Tristan Wirfs is due for a big raise. They also have deals expiring with Antoine Winfield Jr., Lavonte David and Devin White.

If he’s sentimental about the possibility of leaving Tampa Bay, Evans doesn’t let it show. He’s focused on the Eagles game but as a guy who runs routes for a living, he recognizes that he’s got open field ahead of him.

“I always feel like I have something to prove, I always carry a chip on my shoulder,” he said. “But, yeah, I feel good where I’m at. Regardless of age, I feel like I’m at the top (of the free-agent class).”

Ten years and 154 games later, Mike Evans has never given you reason to doubt his commitment to winning.

Regardless of what happens down the road, you can count on that Monday night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't tread on me
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Even if the Bucs season ends tonight, the Bucs still have a couple months to make a deal with him before he becomes a free agent. And, they can always tag him.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Snake wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:37 pm
CannonFire wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:34 pm LOL @ Houston being interested.
?
They have Collins and Dell... both are projected as WR1's in the league, and very young. The Texans need help on the interior OLine, as well as on defense... and you think spending $30M AAV on a 30+ year old WR is a good idea? Come on. That's the kind of move that get's a GM fired.
Last edited by CannonFire on Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That Godwin contract needs to be reworked.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

As much as I love Evans, I think we need to re-sign AWJ first.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bucs wide receiver Mike Evans shared this sentiment in the locker room and he's hopeful that he and the Bucs can get a deal done this offseason. More to come...
Mike Evans now has the top four playoff receiving yard totals in Bucs history --

147 -- today vs. Lions
119 -- 2020 vs. Washington
119 -- 2021 vs. Rams
117 -- 2021 vs. Eagles

(two other 100-yard playoff games in Bucs history, one each from Chris Godwin and Keyshawn Johnson)
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Per Jenna Laine
While no deal was done before the start of the regular season for Mike Evans, Bucs GM Jason Licht told me there’s a plan to resume talks this offseason, and “it would mean everything” for the organization to make him a Buc for life
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:38 am Per Jenna Laine
While no deal was done before the start of the regular season for Mike Evans, Bucs GM Jason Licht told me there’s a plan to resume talks this offseason, and “it would mean everything” for the organization to make him a Buc for life
@Navybuc there's the 2 way street. Mike wants to be back. The organization wants him back.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:47 am
Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:38 am Per Jenna Laine

@Navybuc there's the 2 way street. Mike wants to be back. The organization wants him back.
He has roots here. Wife. Kids. Ties to the community. Unless we low-ball him horribly I think he'll sign.
Phantom

Re: Mike Evans (Licht said there’s a plan to resume talks this offseason)

Post by Phantom »

Mike Glennon (2013-16)
Josh McCown (2014)
Jameis Winston (2015-19)
Ryan Fitzpatrick (2017-18)
Tom Brady (2020-22)
Baker Mayfield (2023-Present)

Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Phantom wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:07 pm Mike Glennon (2013-16)
Josh McCown (2014)
Jameis Winston (2015-19)
Ryan Fitzpatrick (2017-18)
Tom Brady (2020-22)
Baker Mayfield (2023-Present)

“nOT a hALl oF FaMeR!”
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Re-sign Evans!!! Let him retire a Buc!!
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

In some ways, Mike Evans reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald.

My insane take is Larry FitzG was every bit as good as Jerry Rice.

He just didn't have the same QB lineage.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Evans
The original QB savior, beginning some 12-13 years ago…
Yes, he’s dropping a few more passes these days…
But without him in the lineup, Baker’s just…
Baker…..
The rest of the fold are easily defended.

Gotta have 800lb Moss-ish Big Mike here.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s always crazy to see somebody wear your house around their neck.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:07 am
Reading through the comments on X, a lot of people believe that Evans will be signing with the Texans. Hope springs eternal. If the Bucs don't resign Evans before free agency starts, the Bucs will find themselves in a bidding war.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:18 am
Reading through the comments on X, a lot of people believe that Evans will be signing with the Texans. Hope springs eternal. If the Bucs don't resign Evans before free agency starts, the Bucs will find themselves in a bidding war.
There's always the tag option, but I'm coping we use that on Mayfield.

Honestly, throw the transition tag on ME13. If some team wants to give us two firsts (I think that's how it works, right?), I'd be okay with that.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Sorry folks

CJ Stroud or Baker Mayfield? Take your pick.

Tony Pollard? Interesting haha

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024 ... nhxc700xfQ
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:18 am
Of course they do. Small minds are easy to manipulate. Bet you 98% of those commenting don't know he's from Houston and still lives there in the offseason.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I don't think he'll be back, personally. He's going to be too coveted by teams who are a lot closer to winning a super bowl than we are.