Mike Evans Signed

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: Mike Evans (Licht said there’s a plan to resume talks this offseason)

Post by Grahamburn »

It’s both of them. What a silly argument to have.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:28 pm
Phantom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:18 am Hill has played in the NFL for 8 years? Woah, time flies. Bootz mentioned Alex Smith,

Didn’t the Chiefs go to the AFC Championship game with Smith and Hill? Was it the divisional round?
Almost as if it’s more andy reid than Mahomes but shhhh
Or...the more logical approach, great coaches need great QBs for sustained greatness.

Reid was considered a playoff choker prior to Mahomes (I posted multiple articles about this).

Belichick wouldn't have won 6 without Brady, but Brady wouldn't have won those 6 without Belichick.

The players and coaches say this all the time, it's the fans that polarize things.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Flaw of the Jason Licht led Bucs.

Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

So soon? I would wait until free agency before panicking if I were the Bucs fans.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:35 am Flaw of the Jason Licht led Bucs.

Is it a flaw because we aren't "elite"? Most of the best teams wouldn't offer a 30+ year old a massive contract and are celebrated for that.

Licht has locked up people like Vea, kept LVD on the cheap, and we had cap issues last year, but there's a reason we see these older skill players in FA often.

If we let Winfield walk, I'd agree that's an issue(and I saw the other post on Winfield), but Evans makes sense either way.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:15 pm
CannonFire wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:02 pm

McNabb never had a steady stud pass catcher like Kelce.
TO. McNabb puked during the SB and fell apart.
LOL... one season. How many years has Mahomes had Kelce?
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:35 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:15 pm

TO. McNabb puked during the SB and fell apart.
So you shouldn't have used "never".
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Evans is gone, folks. Get whatever you need to cope with it ready. Houston will back up the Brinks truck for a guy like him. We need to draft a capable receiver. Johnny Wilson from FSU would be a good get on day two.
Snake

Post by Snake »

https://www.reddit.com/r/Texans/s/v9PNNUqcL0

Taking the temperature a little bit on Texans fans. It seems like they would rather spend on the defense.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Patriots: sign Mike Evans, draft Marvin Harrison Jr, and sign Cousins

Offense in a box lol
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:53 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:35 am Flaw of the Jason Licht led Bucs.

Is it a flaw because we aren't "elite"? Most of the best teams wouldn't offer a 30+ year old a massive contract and are celebrated for that.

If that's the argument then they should've traded him last offseason. Maybe even 2 ago. You had to have known this day was coming up. Sitting on your hands and waiting to see what happens isn't the way to go. See Green Bay & Davante Adams. Hell, see KC & Tyreek Hill too. He just turned 30 last month.
Snake

Post by Snake »

13 of Baker’s 28 TDs went to Evans.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Assuming someone backs up the Brinks truck for Evans, what are we looking at for a comp pick?

That also all but guarantees we take a WR in the first. The depth of this WR class might be a factor in Licht drawing a line in the sand on Evans contract. I wonder if he already has his guy in mind.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Terry Tate wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:05 pm Assuming someone backs up the Brinks truck for Evans, what are we looking at for a comp pick?

That also all but guarantees we take a WR in the first. The depth of this WR class might be a factor in Licht drawing a line in the sand on Evans contract. I wonder if he already has his guy in mind.
Absolute best we can get is a 3rd.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:40 pm
CannonFire wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:35 pm

So you shouldn't have used "never".
I said he never had a steady stud passing option. McNabb also played before the rules favored offense. Your post is no different than the one last week about Mahomes and Brady before age 30. You're comparing 2 players at the same standard when they didn't play under the same rules.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Just wait until next offseason when Tristan Wirfs is about to hit FA. Then we'll hear how you don't pay RTs who switch to LT even if they are 25 years old m
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I don't care who we pay, but I would like to see some of our good players back for the 2024 season.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:15 am I just don't see how you can be 30, coming off your top 3 career year, and not at least check out the tampering period.

This is it. The big one. You got to at least see what your entire football life is priced at.

If Licht somehow manages to sign him over the weekend even I'd be shocked.
This was always going to happen. You even hear the way Baker talks, he's laid the groundwork to not have any hard feelings towards Evans if he signs elsewhere knowing this is his big judgement day.

Mike will have his offers. Knowing what he knows about Tampa, he'll then have a number he'll accept to prefer to stay here. We either take it or don't.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:20 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:15 am I just don't see how you can be 30, coming off your top 3 career year, and not at least check out the tampering period.

This is it. The big one. You got to at least see what your entire football life is priced at.

If Licht somehow manages to sign him over the weekend even I'd be shocked.
This was always going to happen. You even hear the way Baker talks, he's laid the groundwork to not have any hard feelings towards Evans if he signs elsewhere knowing this is his big judgement day.

Mike will have his offers. Knowing what he knows about Tampa, he'll then have a number he'll accept to prefer to stay here. We either take it or don't.
I am with Baker, I want him to stay but if he gets a Godfather deal I won't begrudge him. There are limits on what you can pay a 30 year old WR when you have a QB to sign and top 3 guys hitting their second contract.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I have not taken the time to assess the leaguewide cap situation to figure out who is a threat to sign Evans. We know the Buccaneers have done this. And it’s very possible they made the determination they’re not gonna compete against themselves and overpay. The market will dictate.

It’s also possible Mike Evans takes it very personally and goes and signs for less money somewhere else. Guys don’t usually do these things to hurt themselves, but emotions definitely a part of it, as do rationalizations. We don’t know if there’s any stated or even tacit agreement for the Buccaneers to get last dibs on matching best offers.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:54 pm https://www.reddit.com/r/Texans/s/v9PNNUqcL0

Taking the temperature a little bit on Texans fans. It seems like they would rather spend on the defense.
$30M for a 30 year old WR is kind of outrageous. The track record for WRs over 30 isn’t great.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

What was the contract offer that the Buccaneers made to Evans? Anyone know?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:07 pm
Terry Tate wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:05 pm Assuming someone backs up the Brinks truck for Evans, what are we looking at for a comp pick?

5th sadly
Players who have ten or more accrued seasons may only yield a maximum of a 5th round compensatory pick, even if their actual value would otherwise be assigned higher. See Alan Faneca in 2009, who only awarded Pittsburgh with a 5th round pick instead of a 3rd despite his contract, playing time, and postseason honors. However, App. V, §4 revealed that this rule does not apply to quarterbacks.
https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-m ... d%20higher.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:01 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:07 pm

5th sadly
Players who have ten or more accrued seasons may only yield a maximum of a 5th round compensatory pick, even if their actual value would otherwise be assigned higher. See Alan Faneca in 2009, who only awarded Pittsburgh with a 5th round pick instead of a 3rd despite his contract, playing time, and postseason honors. However, App. V, §4 revealed that this rule does not apply to quarterbacks.
https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-m ... d%20higher.
Oh wow! Thanks for the correction. A 3rd for a player Evans caliber is bad enough. A 5th is malpractice.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:07 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:54 pm https://www.reddit.com/r/Texans/s/v9PNNUqcL0

$30M for a 30 year old WR is kind of outrageous. The track record for WRs over 30 isn’t great.
The last point has to be within the thinking of the Bucs at this point.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Sapp, Raiders.
Dunn, Falcons.
Lynch, Broncos.

Yeeeaah, let’s not do it again.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:36 pm Sapp, Raiders.
Dunn, Falcons.
Lynch, Broncos.

Yeeeaah, let’s not do it again.
For nostalgic purposes or for performance? Dunn is the only one out of that group who still played at a high level for an extended time after leaving. Dunn was still in his prime.

Mike is going to be 31 when the season starts. You might get 2 good/great years, but some team is going to be left without a chair on the back end when the music stops.

Love Mike. Want to sign him. But, if he’s asking for a monster deal, and he most certainly is, it’s ok if he goes elsewhere to get it.
Bootz

Re: Mike Evans contract

Post by Bootz »

Bootz wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:41 pm Let's not make this a thing.

4 years/$115mil, guarantee 2024 & 2025 at signing, 2026 guarantees later.
I'd still sign him to this deal and wouldn't expect him to look for less. If we're offering less then we're not being serious.
Snake

Post by Snake »

All three of those guys could still play after they left Tampa. It may not have been to the same level, but there were other circumstances involved. Sapp played defensive end in a 3-4 the year after he left. He ended up being a solid contributor again. Lynch filled up the stat sheet and accrued accolades.

Outside of rings, players being in the ring of honor, and wearing one uniform during entire career, is the most special thing you can do as a franchise.

Mike Evans retiring a buccaneer and playing every down as a buccaneer has value. Contributes to the lore of the organization. It’s the right thing to do. Just sign him.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Chris Godwin's cap number this year, the final year of his deal, is $27mil+ and he has an $18mil+ dead cap number next season when his deal voids. Carlton Davis is similar, $20mil cap hit, $8mil dead cap in 2025.

We're gonna end up extending both of them and letting Evans walk simply because they are 3 years younger than he is despite the fact he's way better at football.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:29 am All three of those guys could still play after they left Tampa. It may not have been to the same level, but there were other circumstances involved. Sapp played defensive end in a 3-4 the year after he left. He ended up being a solid contributor again. Lynch filled up the stat sheet and accrued accolades.

Outside of rings, players being in the ring of honor, and wearing one uniform during entire career, is the most special thing you can do as a franchise.

Mike Evans retiring a buccaneer and playing every down as a buccaneer has value. Contributes to the lore of the organization. It’s the right thing to do. Just sign him.
Fair enough, but none of those guys wanted solid contributor money. They wanted All-Pro money. Just like Mike Evans likely does. If he's being reasonable and we're not then that's a different story.

That being said I don't think our "window" is different than any other team that's going to be interested in him. I'd prefer he be a Buc as well. It's not my money and I don't really care, but I get why the front office might be hesitating.

This isn't a nostalgic business. It's a cutthroat performance based business.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:41 am
Snake wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:29 am All three of those guys could still play after they left Tampa. It may not have been to the same level, but there were other circumstances involved. Sapp played defensive end in a 3-4 the year after he left. He ended up being a solid contributor again. Lynch filled up the stat sheet and accrued accolades.

Fair enough, but none of those guys wanted solid contributor money. They wanted All-Pro money. Just like Mike Evans likely does. If he's being reasonable and we're not then that's a different story.

That being said I don't think our "window" is different than any other team that's going to be interested in him. I'd prefer he be a Buc as well. It's not my money and I don't really care, but I get why the front office might be hesitating.

What does our ideal contract for Mike Evans look like?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Godwin having an $18m void is fucking crazy.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:38 am Chris Godwin's cap number this year, the final year of his deal, is $27mil+ and he has an $18mil+ dead cap number next season when his deal voids. Carlton Davis is similar, $20mil cap hit, $8mil dead cap in 2025.

We're gonna end up extending both of them and letting Evans walk simply because they are 3 years younger than he is despite the fact he's way better at football.
You're not getting Mike's age 28-31 years though. You're getting his 31-34 years. It's a big difference. Some guys can play well that late in their careers, but it's rare. Mike has had a ton of soft tissue injuries. He already taps out of games constantly. It's only going to get worse as he ages.

I'd also argue that there's certainly a WR in this draft that we could select at #26 and/or later that will out perform Mike over the next 4-5 seasons at a fraction of the cost.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:44 am
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:41 am

What does our ideal contract for Mike Evans look like?
The one you just posted would be absolutely fine with me. 4 years $115M with the first 2 guaranteed. Hell, I'm fine if they pay him the $30M a year. I don't care. I just understand why they're balking at it a little.