Mike Evans Signed

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Phantom

Mike Evans Signed

Post by Phantom »

I believe the Buccaneers will find a way to sign him to new contract. He is having the best season of his career.

He now has five seasons of 12 or more touchdowns.

What is the chance of the Bucs resigning him?
Last edited by Phantom on Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctor

Re: Mike Evans contract

Post by Doctor »

100%

Its just going to be a matter of who bites first and who gets the FT.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Chiefs will be making a big push to sign him. He's going to be expensive to retain. Not sure we'll be able to match. Hopefully he stays though.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

My ideal situation would be to sign Mike Evans to a respectable but reasonable extension so he ended his career as a Buccaneer. Keep his spot warm for the Ring of Honor and enjoy watching him play till he hangs up his cleats.

If he wanted to leave though, he would be the crown jewel of this free agency class and would command big money, even at age 30. Show me a team that says they wouldn't want Mike Evans and I'll show you a team that's lying.

To prevent that from happening, we could slap him with a franchise tag, which seems cheap and more than a bit disrespectful given all he's done for this team but that's part of the business and I think he'd play ball for us regardless next season. Moreover, it just punts the problem to next season, it doesn't fix it.

Maybe it's just me approaching 40 and getting soft, but I would do whatever Mike wants. You wanna play in Tampa, here's your money, glad to have you back, you're the best. You want to go wherever and play with whoever, have fun buddy, love ya to bits, we will see you back here when we honor you in your new gold jacket.
Snake

Post by Snake »

They’re gonna end up paying through the nose by not coming to terms with him before this season. He had a career year with Baker freaking Mayfield as a quarterback. solidifies himself as a top five wide receiver in the NFL, at worst.

I am not expecting a discount. And I wouldn’t bark up that tree about a franchise tag. It’s absolutely the wrong thing to do to that guy after him helping out with his contract.

All that to say, you need to pay him. playing for one team for your entire career is special. He’s the best at his position in franchise history. I’m happy to say the HOF narrative has shifted for him. Whether you’re on a website like Reddit or listening to football announcers on TV. He is seen as a Hall of Famer now.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think hesitation to get a deal done was both ways. No one knew how the Baker-Evans connection would be. There were hopes but we didn't know. Now we know. That adds clarity to things in both directions.

Everything comes down to the player. If they want more money, a change of scenery, a better chance at a chip, whatever. In the end if Baker and Evans want to play in Tampa together they will be doing just that.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Take a look at Davante Adams' deal he signed last year at the same age Evans is now. That's your starting point, ladies and gentlemen.

IF Licht manages to sign him for less, 2 things. A. Give Licht a lifetime contract as GM of this team and B. Evans is a complete idiot.
Most hated man in America.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I mentioned it in the Mayfield thread. There are literally no quality WR's in the FA pool this coming season. It's Mike Evans and no one else. There will be a legit bidding war between KC and LAC. If Evans doesn't get $25M+ AAV for 5 years, I'll be shocked. Heading into the 2024 season, the top 3 highest paid WR's are...
Tyreek Hill (29), $30M AAV
Davante Adams (31), $28M AAV
Cooper Kupp (30), $26.7M AAV

It sounded like Licht offered a lot less than $25M AAV, in the off-season. I don't think Evans is coming back.

Spotrac.com has Evans' market value at $25M AAV for 4 years. The next closest is Odell at 1 yr $12.5M.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's the cost of drafting, developing, and sustaining ballers. We gotta stop doing that.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Paying market price for a player has nothing to do with them being drafted by you. The minute you cease to have team control and guys are looking out for themselves, it literally doesn’t matter what happened before that.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:40 am Take a look at Davante Adams' deal he signed last year at the same age Evans is now. That's your starting point, ladies and gentlemen.

IF Licht manages to sign him for less, 2 things. A. Give Licht a lifetime contract as GM of this team and B. Evans is a complete idiot.
Being comfortable went up - performance went down.

I would expect the same with Mike going to another team.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:40 am Take a look at Davante Adams' deal he signed last year at the same age Evans is now. That's your starting point, ladies and gentlemen.

```
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

That's unfair to say. Some people are about more than just money. You don't know what Mike's about yet you're gonna go and call him an idiot if he takes a discount to stay where he is? Fuck off with that shit.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Don't tread on me
NeezDuts

Post by NeezDuts »

4 years 120 million get it done dom!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Pay him. Pay that man his money.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:51 am

That's unfair to say. Some people are about more than just money. You don't know what Mike's about yet you're gonna go and call him an idiot if he takes a discount to stay where he is? Fuck off with that shit.
Miss me with all that team loyalty discount shit. Money is the only way respect is shown in this league if you're being honest with yourself. My gut tells me Mike knows this and we lowballed him. Otherwise he would've signed for whatever we offered.

Players need to know their worth and get as much as they can because as soon as you are no longer valuable to the team, they cast you out.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:22 am They’re gonna end up paying through the nose by not coming to terms with him before this season. He had a career year with Baker freaking Mayfield as a quarterback. solidifies himself as a top five wide receiver in the NFL, at worst.

I am not expecting a discount. And I wouldn’t bark up that tree about a franchise tag. It’s absolutely the wrong thing to do to that guy after him helping out with his contract.

All that to say, you need to pay him. playing for one team for your entire career is special. He’s the best at his position in franchise history. I’m happy to say the HOF narrative has shifted for him. Whether you’re on a website like Reddit or listening to football announcers on TV. He is seen as a Hall of Famer now.
Career year… what am I missing?
Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s leading the league in touchdowns. He’s carrying the offense.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:17 pm He’s leading the league in touchdowns. He’s carrying the offense.
That’s not a career year, my friend.
Snake

Post by Snake »

acmillis wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:21 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:17 pm He’s leading the league in touchdowns. He’s carrying the offense.
That’s not a career year, my friend.
What would you go with in this particular situation, raw yardage?

To me, Mike Evans has looked as good as he ever has. He leads the league in touchdowns. He’s bailed out Baker Mayfield all year. He’s not playing on a team with the 29th ranked defense again, where they’re airing it out the entire game. He’s the best player on the field most games.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I don't know if I'd say this is a career year but he's definitely raised his price tag this season.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:57 am

Miss me with all that team loyalty discount shit. Money is the only way respect is shown in this league if you're being honest with yourself. My gut tells me Mike knows this and we lowballed him. Otherwise he would've signed for whatever we offered.

Players need to know their worth and get as much as they can because as soon as you are no longer valuable to the team, they cast you out.
Consider yourself missed, then.
Don't tread on me
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

If a player is willing to take hometown discount, it doesn't make him an idiot. And hometown discount isn't exclusively about loyalty to a franchise, but also to a locker room full of familiar faces that you spent years with, an offensive system where you are the clear focal point and the alpha, and a familiar QB that knows how to get you the ball to continue building your legacy (the 1k streak).

It is Mike's prerogative if he takes a discount or not. But there would not be anything idiotic about him giving concessions. The variables in the decision equation aren't just $$ and length of contract.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:00 pm

If a player is willing to take hometown discount, it doesn't make him an idiot. And hometown discount isn't exclusively about loyalty to a franchise, but also to a locker room full of familiar faces that you spent years with, an offensive system where you are the clear focal point and the alpha, and a familiar QB that knows how to get you the ball to continue building your legacy (the 1k streak).

It is Mike's prerogative if he takes a discount or not. But there would not be anything idiotic about him giving concessions. The variables in the decision equation aren't just $$ and length of contract.
Name me the last big name to take a discount. I'll wait.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Mike would have to REALLY want to play for the Bucs specifically for him to sign back here.

He's going to have a shot at playing with Allen, or a Burrow, Andy Reid's active QB, Herbert, or Jackson and have a real shot at a SB and he'll get more money in all likelihood.

I hope he picks us but I'm not holding my breath.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Also if anyone actually expects that Evans is considering taking a discount I'm gonna sell you @acmillis's Idaho beach front property
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

As well, some people hate change. It is a lot to uproot yourself from a team you love, a home you feel at home in and walking into a new locker room. So yeah, it is absolutely 100% not about the JUST about the money for some.
I said what I said

acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:27 pm Also if anyone actually expects that Evans is considering taking a discount I'm gonna sell you @acmillis's Idaho beach front property
It is beeeeeuteeeeful
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:41 pm

As well, some people hate change. It is a lot to uproot yourself from a team you love, a home you feel at home in and walking into a new locker room. So yeah, it is absolutely 100% not about the JUST about the money for some.
Who are these players taking less? Name them.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Brady took less, but we know he’s an anomaly.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:59 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:41 pm

Who are these players taking less? Name them.
Barr and probably Lavonte are the only ones I can think of.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

THIS is why you don't take discounts. Even when teams sign you to a contract, they dishonor the agreement they made if they see fit. Any player who takes a discount is a FOOL.

Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I'm optimistic they'll get a deal done to a number Mike likes. I know call me crazy.

Maybe that is making a trade to create more cap space, I'm not sure.

What we don't want however is WR becoming the number 1 need in the draft.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Don't believe in drafting for need. With that said this draft is thick at WR.