Week 16 Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Phantom

Re: Week 16 Discussion

Post by Phantom »

This man has spoken @acmillis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

13F11B wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:10 am God no. The Buccaneers under Bowles have a history of allowing backup QBs to look like Joe Montana against us.
The Bucs have made backup qbs look great for decades now, it’s not a Bowles phenomenon.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Atlanta benched Desmond Ridder again like a month after saying he would remain starter until seasons end. Now Falcons talking heads and fans are calling for Arthur Smith to be fired. Can't say I blame them.

I'd let go whoever thought it was a good idea go not even call Lamar Jackson. He might've stayed with Baltimore anyway but to say "No thanks we have Desmond Ridder" is wild.
Most hated man in America.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Phantom wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:55 am This man has spoken @acmillis
I mean...that's a great teammate right there, but:

acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:18 am Atlanta benched Desmond Ridder again like a month after saying he would remain starter until seasons end. Now Falcons talking heads and fans are calling for Arthur Smith to be fired. Can't say I blame them.

I'd let go whoever thought it was a good idea go not even call Lamar Jackson. He might've stayed with Baltimore anyway but to say "No thanks we have Desmond Ridder" is wild.
Yeah...when the only *significant* hole you have is the most important one, and, going in to 2023 you have 75M in cap, to do nothing is ridiculous, but I'm very appreciative of their approach :lol:

Cap space source: https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/sta ... 20on%20Jan.

No, it's not beedogs...
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

acmillis wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:18 am
I mean...that's a great teammate right there, but:

To illustrate my point, let's take Fields name off of these numbers.
Random CHI media member:
Hey (new head coach of CHI). You have a QB on your roster who has:
Missed 11 games in almost 3 full seasons
Completes 60.2% of his passes
Has thrown for 38 TDS
Has thrown for 29 INT
Has rushed for 2,051 yards and 12 TDS
Has fumbled 37(!!!!) times, losing 11 of those
So, coach, that's 50 total TDs and 40 total turnovers in nearly three full seasons.
Coach, his average game is 165 passing yards, 55 rushing yards, 1.4 Total TD accounted for, and 1 TO accounted for.
You have the #1 (most likely) overall pick...."

New head coach, "Yeah, that QB you rattled off the numbers for....yeah...he ain't touching the ball anymore."
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I feel like this is a week where great coaches will have their teams motivated and ready to go. This Jags team coming in probably will have a backup QB, but the Bucs don't need to win this game to secure the division. Still, you're at home and want to keep your momentum.

How will Bowles' team respond? We started 3-1 and then crapped the bed for 7 weeks. Will some success give them confidence or do they shy away from the spotlight?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Always laugh at stuff like that. What's D.J. Moore going to say?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

This year feels really wide open when it comes to the playoffs. Basically every team has either a long losing streak or really embarrassing losses.

Other than the 49ers, every team is extremely beatable.

Playoffs are going to be wild this year.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

So, in the battle of which team can actually beat another team with a pulse, who wins in the MIAvsDAL game?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:42 am So, in the battle of which team can actually beat another team with a pulse, who wins in the MIAvsDAL game?
I give the edge to Miami. Buffalo exposed a major weakness, that being Dallas' run defense. Miami is 4th in rushing and #1 in yards/carry at 5.1/run.

Problem is with their explosive pass game you can't commit to stopping the run because they'll kill you, even without Hill.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Ew. Not a Fields fan. Funny thing is this was Fields just a little ago. And, as much as this shocks groupies despite it repeatedly happening, we'll be saying similar things about much of this class as well. Including one of Maye or Caleb, if not both.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:02 am
Ew. Not a Fields fan. Funny thing is this was Fields just a little ago. And, as much as this shocks groupies despite it repeatedly happening, we'll be saying similar things about much of this class as well. Including one of Maye or Caleb, if not both.
For sure. All these QBs that Chicago could pick may be terrible, worse than Fields, even. That being said, @Bootz made a good point about ATL being okay with Ridder. If Chicago sticks with Fields, jobs will be lost, and another new coaching staff will get to choose their QBOTF.
Look, Fields has led the bears to the 7th overall pick, the 1st overall pick, and projected 5th overall pick.
Does it ALL fall on him? No. But he’s a part of the problem, not the solution.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The only difference between rookies and say 2-3 year vets is time. People automatically assume that new rookie QB=better. Not always the case.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The reality is most players, including QBs, have some ugly years early. Rookies don't have any yet so we get to be all wide eyed about it. But oh boy do we turn on them quickly.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:14 am
Doctor wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:02 am

For sure. All these QBs that Chicago could pick may be terrible, worse than Fields, even. That being said, @Bootz made a good point about ATL being okay with Ridder. If Chicago sticks with Fields, jobs will be lost, and another new coaching staff will get to choose their QBOTF.
Look, Fields has led the bears to the 7th overall pick, the 1st overall pick, and projected 5th overall pick.
3 years is definitely enough time to get an idea. It's definitely likely Fields returns next season with Chicago, but I don't expect him to have a long leash nor do I think they exercise his 5th year option.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:25 am
acmillis wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:14 am

3 years is definitely enough time to get an idea. It's definitely likely Fields returns next season with Chicago, but I don't expect him to have a long leash nor do I think they exercise his 5th year option.
Therein lies the rub. Fields has not been good. He's going into his 4th year. They'll have to pick up his option after this season. If they decide not to then it stands to reason they're drafting a QB #1 overall as they should. If they don't pick up that option AND draft a QB why would they keep him? Answer is they won't and he'll be traded.

If they stupidly keep him and he isn't traded they'll most certainly be exercising that option.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:31 am

Therein lies the rub. Fields has not been good. He's going into his 4th year. They'll have to pick up his option after this season. If they decide not to then it stands to reason they're drafting a QB #1 overall as they should. If they don't pick up that option AND draft a QB why would they keep him? Answer is they won't and he'll be traded.

If they stupidly keep him and he isn't traded they'll most certainly be exercising that option.
Serious question:
What can Chi get in return for Fields when he’s on a one year deal after the option is declined?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

…somebody check on Derrick Ward. Google it…
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I think it could be another Drew Brees/Philip Rivers situation. I think they'll definitely pick up a QB with 1 of those 2 picks. The other though, they need to pick up a weapon. DJ Moore needs someone else who can make plays. Not sure if anyone watched the Browns/Bears game, but the lack of talent in their WR group was obvious. A few key drops, missed plays. Chicago isn't a good roster. They need to hit big.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:44 am

Serious question:
What can Chi get in return for Fields when he’s on a one year deal after the option is declined?
I would think he'll be traded prior to the draft. Mid-2nd rounder from someone like Atlanta, Vegas, or Pittsburgh if they're lucky?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:49 am
acmillis wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:44 am

Serious question:
I would think he'll be traded prior to the draft. Mid-2nd rounder from someone like Atlanta, Vegas, or Pittsburgh if they're lucky?
Not likely at all. You're not getting a 2nd for a QB you're unloading who's on his rookie deal in the off-season. If you think he has that kinda value, teams will look at you say say why don't you keep him?

At best they'll get a 4th if they try to trade him. That's why I don't see it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:39 am This year feels really wide open when it comes to the playoffs. Basically every team has either a long losing streak or really embarrassing losses.

Baltimore.

They are 1 of 3 teams that hasn't lost 2 in a row. They are the only team that's lost all of their games by 1 score or less. They also have just 3 losses.

I picked Baltimore to go to the Superbowl this year and that's looking like a very strong likelihood. They don't look beatable either.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm not going to do the leg work of compiling a list of QBs with less then stellar first 3 years but I imagine there's a lot of great names on it.

3 years is a long time in the NFL but very little in terms of a 20 year old growing up if nothing to say about the interdependence of the system, OL, and coaches he's been drafted to with no say.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:54 am
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:49 am

Not likely at all. You're not getting a 2nd for a QB you're unloading who's on his rookie deal in the off-season. If you think he has that kinda value, teams will look at you say say why don't you keep him?

Interesting. I don't value Fields highly at all, but still think there will be a team that will fall in love with the athletic ability and think they could fix him from the pocket.

I guess we'll find out.

The situation that mirrors it the closest would be Josh Rosen, who was selected by the Cardinals with the 10th pick. When the Cardinals landed the #1 overall a year later they traded him to the Dolphins for their 2nd rounder. Granted, it was 62nd overall.

Fields is better than Rosen is/was but also only carries two more years of control on his rookie deal.

Rosen made just under $19M in his career and had shots with 7 teams. Including the Bucs. When you're a QB drafted in the first round you get a lot of second chances.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:06 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:54 am

Interesting. I don't value Fields highly at all, but still think there will be a team that will fall in love with the athletic ability and think they could fix him from the pocket.

I guess we'll find out.

The situation that mirrors it the closest would be Josh Rosen, who was selected by the Cardinals with the 10th pick. When the Cardinals landed the #1 overall a year later they traded him to the Dolphins for their 2nd rounder. Granted, it was 62nd overall.

Fields is better than Rosen is/was but also only carries two more years of control on his rookie deal.

Rosen made just under $19M in his career and had shots with 7 teams. Including the Bucs. When you're a QB drafted in the first round you get a lot of second chances.
That situation is different. Rosen had at minimum 3 years left of team control. 4 if he stuck with Miami and they opted to exercise the option. So a top 10 QB with 4 years of control on his team? Yea that's worth a 2nd.

Fields has 1 cheap year left on his deal and the option year if it's exercised. That's not good value for a 2nd round pick. Especially considering the 5th year option is fully guaranteed.

An even more comparable situation is Trey Lance. Same draft class as Fields. He's got 1 cheap year and the option which I doubt Dallas exercises. But it only cost them a 4th.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:00 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:39 am This year feels really wide open when it comes to the playoffs. Basically every team has either a long losing streak or really embarrassing losses.

Baltimore.

They are 1 of 3 teams that hasn't lost 2 in a row. They are the only team that's lost all of their games by 1 score or less. They also have just 3 losses.

I picked Baltimore to go to the Superbowl this year and that's looking like a very strong likelihood. They don't look beatable either.
Baltimore unlike some previous years are playing resilient, finding ways to win close games, including coming from behind. They have been battle tested and easily the most dangerous team in the AFC. This weekend's matchup may be the preview for Superbowl.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:15 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:00 pm

Baltimore.

Baltimore unlike some previous years are playing resilient, finding ways to win close games, including coming from behind. They have been battle tested and easily the most dangerous team in the AFC. This weekend's matchup may be the preview for Superbowl.
I saw a very impressive stat Sunday night. This season they've held a tie or lead 91% of the time. This is a team that gets a lead and keeps it. Baltimore is extremely dangerous.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Another year, another season of Joe Buck mediocrity.

I already see that it was caught and it's a touchdown. He provides ZERO flavor, zero anything of interest.

Guy fucking stinks.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

If I'm the Bears, I stick with Fields and build around him. Try to trade down out of the number 1 pick for another king's ransom, then take Malik Nabers at #5 overall. If no one wants to trade with me (but they will), I draft Marvin Harrison Jr at #1, still take Nabers at #5, and air it the fuck out. That receiving trio would be among the best in the league in Week One of 2024 and will only get better with time.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:29 pm Another year, another season of Joe Buck mediocrity.

I already see that it was caught and it's a touchdown. He provides ZERO flavor, zero anything of interest.

Guy fucking stinks.
He's no Gus Johnson, that's for sure.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Cheb wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:30 pm If I'm the Bears, I stick with Fields and build around him. Try to trade down out of the number 1 pick for another king's ransom, then take Malik Nabers at #5 overall. If no one wants to trade with me (but they will), I draft Marvin Harrison Jr at #1, still take Nabers at #5, and air it the fuck out. That receiving trio would be among the best in the league in Week One of 2024 and will only get better with time.
I don't see a problem with that. The only way I replace Fields with one of those top 2 QBs is if I fell in love with one. Give Fields those two WRs and if he bombs again, your next QB walks into a great situation.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:30 pm If I'm the Bears, I stick with Fields and build around him. Try to trade down out of the number 1 pick for another king's ransom, then take Malik Nabers at #5 overall. If no one wants to trade with me (but they will), I draft Marvin Harrison Jr at #1, still take Nabers at #5, and air it the fuck out. That receiving trio would be among the best in the league in Week One of 2024 and will only get better with time.
I think you stick with Fields but bring in some competition. He's actually improved as a passer since his rookie year but man it's been at a snails pace. Do what you can to improve the team around him but he needs to make a jump.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:56 am
acmillis wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:42 am So, in the battle of which team can actually beat another team with a pulse, who wins in the MIAvsDAL game?
I give the edge to Miami. Buffalo exposed a major weakness, that being Dallas' run defense. Miami is 4th in rushing and #1 in yards/carry at 5.1/run.

Problem is with their explosive pass game you can't commit to stopping the run because they'll kill you, even without Hill.
Even with the Cowboys on the road, the Phins haven't beaten a good team all year and they are without Hill.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I guess if you keep Fields you’ll have a pretty great shot at another top 5 pick. So, there’s that.