Bootz

Shohei Ohtani

Post by Bootz »

Because what in the actual fuck!!!
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Re: Shohei Ohtani

Post by Phantom »

No, he will not be joining the Rays to play.

Congratulations to Dodgers
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

And the Rays may not even have a $70 million payroll and this dude averages that for the next 10 years. This is out of control man
Snake

Post by Snake »

That’s a lot of money for a DH
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:51 pm And the Rays may not even have a $70 million payroll and this dude averages that for the next 10 years. This is out of control man
His AAV is more than what the Orioles and A’s had last season. I have to watch more Dodger games now.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:13 am That’s a lot of money for a DH
And pitcher.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:44 pm
Snake wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:13 am That’s a lot of money for a DH
And pitcher.
I think that’s the big question. He’s had Tommy John surgery twice. He pops that UCL again, I don’t think there’s any precedent for a guy to come back off three tears and still be a high-level pitcher.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Snake wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:49 pm
Phantom wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:44 pm

And pitcher.
I think that’s the big question. He’s had Tommy John surgery twice. He pops that UCL again, I don’t think there’s any precedent for a guy to come back off three tears and still be a high-level pitcher.
Not to mention that baseball contracts are 100% guaranteed
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Ohtani is only getting $2 million a year for the next 10 years. With $680 million deferred?

What in the flying fuck what the fuck
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

So MLB approves money laundering apparently.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I guess the next lockout is going to be a long one
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:06 pm Ohtani is only getting $2 million a year for the next 10 years. With $680 million deferred?

Very common practice in baseball for large contracts.
Snake

Post by Snake »

acmillis wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:58 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:06 pm Ohtani is only getting $2 million a year for the next 10 years. With $680 million deferred?

Not to this degree.

Considering the time value of $, this deal is more like 10 yrs 450m when it’s all said and done.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I don't think Ohtani is worth that much. He's average.
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

man that is crazy!

probably smart on his behalf, he is probably making tons in sponsorships. he will get his baseball money after he retires
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

Snake wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:02 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:58 pm

Not to this degree.

Considering the time value of $, this deal is more like 10 yrs 450m when it’s all said and done.

with our current inflation, it's more like $450,000
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Phantom wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:06 pm I don't think Ohtani is worth that much. He's average.
The guy who won the last 2 of 3 MVPs and Silver Slugger awards, who also lead MLB in HRs is "average"?

All of that and he's also 38-19 with a 3.01 ERA and 606 strikeouts.

I think the contract is crazy with his injuries, but saying the best baseball player since Babe Ruth is average is a step too far.

His WAR has been almost 2 points above the 2nd place for the last 2 of 3 years and only slightly behind Judge 2 years ago. Still 1.5 above the Acuna in 3rd.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

It's my opinion. If you don't like it, kindly move on. Thanks
Snake

Post by Snake »

Shohei Ohtani, the hitter, in 135 games in 2023.

- 44 home runs (1st in AL, 3rd in MLB)
- 1.066 OPS (1st in MLB)
- 184 OPS+ (1st in MLB)

Shohei Ohtani, the pitcher, in 23 starts in 2023.

- 142 ERA+ (Tied for 6th in MLB among starters)
- 1.06 WHIP (2nd in MLB among starters)
- 11.4 K/9 (Tied for 4th in MLB among starters)

He's quite literally elite as both a hitter and a pitcher. LOL!
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:53 pm Shohei Ohtani, the hitter, in 135 games in 2023.

- 1.066 OPS (1st in MLB)
- 184 OPS+ (1st in MLB)

Nah, he's average like Michael Jordan and Jerry Rice.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Dude, you just like to argue over nothing. It's your shtick.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:53 pm Shohei Ohtani, the hitter, in 135 games in 2023.

- 1.066 OPS (1st in MLB)
- 184 OPS+ (1st in MLB)

I haven't kept up with much baseball on the west coast but he's got I'm excited to pay close attention to him going forward. Average?? AI is on some other shit here.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Phantom wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:14 pm Dude, you just like to argue over nothing. It's your shtick.
You're calling the baseball unicorn average with no backing or substance.

How would you not expect pushback. It's like when Lugz said Mahomes sucked...nearly everyone had a response.

He's the best player in baseball and doing something no one had done since Babe Ruth. Are you evaluating his looks?

This isn't being argumentative, this is calling out a really dumb post.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’m not saying Shohei Ohtani was betting on baseball, but I’m not saying he wasn’t. This whole story about his interpreter stealing his money feels like a cover story or a fall guy to me.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:20 pm I’m not saying Shohei Ohtani was betting on baseball, but I’m not saying he wasn’t. This whole story about his interpreter stealing his money feels like a cover story or a fall guy to me.
I had the same suspicion when I first heard about it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The options appear to be thus:

1. Ohtani is a degenerate gambler, and he funnels the money through his interpreter. His interpreter took the fall.

2. The interpreter had direct access to his bank account and stole money from him. That makes no sense.

3. The interpreter owed millions in gambling debts. Ohtani gave him money to cover the debts. Not realizing that it is illegal. I wish I had a friend who was that nice lol.

Hmm
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:54 pm The options appear to be thus:

1. Ohtani is a degenerate gambler, and he funnels the money through his interpreter. His interpreter took the fall.

2. The interpreter had direct access to his bank account and stole money from him. That makes no sense.

3. The interpreter owed millions in gambling debts. Ohtani gave him money to cover the debts. Not realizing that it is illegal. I wish I had a friend who was that nice lol.

Hmm
Why the interpreter had direct access to his account. Why can't Ohtani do it himself?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:25 am
Phantom wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:14 pm Dude, you just like to argue over nothing. It's your shtick.
You're calling the baseball unicorn average with no backing or substance.

How would you not expect pushback. It's like when Lugz said Mahomes sucked...nearly everyone had a response.

He's the best player in baseball and doing something no one had done since Babe Ruth. Are you evaluating his looks?

This isn't being argumentative, this is calling out a really dumb post.
You just enjoy arguing for the sake of it, based on your history of posts on this forum and others. It doesn't matter to me. My opinion stand. Dumb post

Best player? My ass
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Interestimg read.

This confirms my suspicions I had about him.

https://huddleup.substack.com/p/shohei- ... g-story-is
A massive sports gambling scandal broke last night involving MLB superstar Shohei Ohtani. On the surface, the allegations are simple — Ohtani’s interpreter stole $4.5 million from him and lost it gambling on sports. But when you dig into the details, much of what is said doesn’t add up, and this could get messier before it gets better.

The story starts with Mathew Bowyer. The FBI is currently investigating Bowyer for running an illegal bookmaking scheme in Southern California. ESPN and the LA Times were then alerted to Ohtani’s name being included in some of the files, including two $500,000 payments directly from Ohtani’s bank account to Bowyer.

When Trish Thompson, ESPN’s investigative reporter, started asking around, Shohei Ohtani’s representatives said that it was actually Ohtani’s long-time interpreter, Ippei Mizuhara, betting on sports and Ohtani had transferred the money to cover his losses.

Ohtani’s representatives then offered up Mizuhara for a 90-minute interview on Tuesday night. According to ESPN, Mizuhara was extremely open, saying he started placing bets on credit with Bowyer after meeting him at a San Diego poker game in 2021. His losses reached $1 million by the end of 2022 and then ballooned from there.

"I'm terrible [at gambling]. Never going to do it again. Never won any money," Mizuhara said. "I mean, I dug myself a hole and it kept on getting bigger, and it meant I had to bet bigger to get out of it and just kept on losing. It's like a snowball effect."

Mizuhara told ESPN that he routinely bet on international soccer, basketball, and football — but never baseball. "I never bet on baseball," Mizuhara told ESPN. "That's 100 percent. I knew that rule. ... We have a meeting about that in spring training."

Mizuhara also said that he promised to pay Ohtani back the money. But after agreeing to cover his friend’s losses, Ohtani wasn’t convinced that Mizuhara would gamble the money away, so he logged onto his computer and sent the money to Bowyer himself.

This is where things get interesting. After hearing that Mizuhara told ESPN that Ohtani had sent the wire transfer himself, Ohtani’s representatives walked back their previous statement that Ohtani had covered his friend’s losses. Instead, they now claim that Ohtani was the victim of “massive theft” at the hands of his interpreter.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Phantom wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:28 pm

Best player? My ass
Per usual, you have nothing of merit to back up your random, drive-by post.

You called him average. He's been the definition of excellent. He has 2 MVPs, something only 18 other players have done in the history of the game and he's not even 30.

The whole betting thing doesn't absolve you of a ridiculous take that you didn't even try to back it with any stats, logic, or anything.

If you said no player is worth that much, that's a valid opinion, but in no universe has he been average to this point in his career.

It's crazy that you quoted me after all this time...still with nothing of substance.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:29 pm
Phantom wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:28 pm

Best player? My ass

You called him average. He's been the definition of excellent. He has 2 MVPs, something only 18 other players have done in the history of the game and he's not even 30.

The whole betting thing doesn't absolve you of a ridiculous take that you didn't even try to back it with any stats, logic, or anything.

If you said no player is worth that much, that's a valid opinion, but in no universe has he been average to this point in his career.

It's crazy that you quoted me after all this time...still with nothing of substance.
Again,Is he really the best player? I don't think so, regardless of what you think. Everyone enlisted their opinion, including mine.. I'm done with your bullshit. Nothing has changed. Per usual

Edit: This is not a discussion about Ohtani betting. I watched him play in Atlanta and St. Petersburg. Hsve you? I am not impressed with his skills. As a pitcher? MEH

cool, He's a freak athlete!
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Phantom wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:36 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:29 pm

Again,Is he really the best player? I don't think so, regardless of what you think. Everyone enlisted their opinion, including mine.. I'm done with your bullshit. Nothing has changed. Per usual

Edit: This is not a discussion about Ohtani betting. I watched him play in Atlanta and St. Petersburg. Hsve you? I am not impressed with his skills. As a pitcher? MEH

cool, He's a freak athlete!
You watched him twice?

I can't wait until you figure out hitting the ball 3 out of 10 times is great.

He lead baseball in WAR, HRs, while being a top 5 pitcher. Yes, in the last 4 years he's the best by a massive gap.

He also lead his team to a WBC and won the MVP there.

I saw Barry Bonds play 8 games live...he didn't hit 1 homerun...dude had 0 power.<<<That's ridiculous.

It's fine to not like him or not want to pay any player that much, but calling him average is like saying Brady was mediocre then citing you watched him throw an INT.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Sure. But if said opinion cannot coexist with demonstrable, indisputable facts…I don’t even know what you would call that. Delusion?