The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Babeinbucland

Re: The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

Post by Babeinbucland »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:37 am
CannonFire wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:15 am

Oh stop. Canales has been in the NFL since 2010 while Coen since 2018. Coen is more polished simply because he was on the Rams staff and not Seahawks? Or is it that you think it's because he was a figure head in McVay's offense? If he was that good as an OC in LA, why did he go to Kentucky and not stay in the NFL? The $100k raise? I don't think so. In LA, he was no different than Pete Carmichael in New Orleans under Payton.

Coen may do fine, I'm just saying you're not going to sell me on him as being a definitive upgrade. I mean, if he had gone back to the college ranks to be a head coach, I could at least give him the benefit of the doubt, but he didn't. It was a lateral position as an offensive coordinator.
The hope being the offense can hit the ground running a little more.
No pun intended? lol
I said what I said

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Word is AWJ is unlikely to play on the franchise tag. Hopefully we can get him under contract before this starts to get complicated.
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/high ... es-in-nfl/

Here's a rough estimation of the amount that AWJ is being paid.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:58 am Word is AWJ is unlikely to play on the franchise tag. Hopefully we can get him under contract before this starts to get complicated.

throat/knife
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

It was reported that they were working on a new deal. They didn't want him going in with the tag either, Licht wants him locked up.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:43 pm @Bootz and @CannonFire

Fair enough on Whitehead but I believe the two work well together.
I have no doubt they'll work well together. My only point is that while yes, he is an upgrade, it's not a significant one. To that point, notice I how listed every free agent they signed (and let walk), you only came up with 1 guy who was an upgrade? That's why I said the Bucs didn't add any "KEY" players this off-season. We're basically running it back with the same group that struggled to win 9 games in the easiest division in football last year.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Phantom wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:05 pm Hold on a minute.. I could have sworn some of you were praising Ceon as a great hire!. Doc maybe
He might be, really don't know yet
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bootz wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:45 pm Tell me you sincerely believe he called plays for Sean McVay.
I sincerely believe he called plays for Sean McVay.... because he did.
In fact, I think he may be the only coach McVay has ever let call plays in a real game.

Do you even follow the Bucs? No wonder you think I just be making stuff up some times, you don't read or watch shit. I binge as much Bucs stuff I come across, interviews, podcast, whatever. That's why I believe so much in this culture change, because I've literally heard it change in real time. But that's not what this post is about.

The point is that if you bother to just educated yourself a tiny bit you'd know that yes, Coen has called plays at the NFL level. In fact, the confidence and trust to do that is major reason why McVay immediately got Coen after Kevin O'Connell got hired to be the Vikes HC. Literally the following day.

He didn't promote Zac Robinson or Wed Phillips or Thomas Brown or his WR coach of 5 years Eric Yarber. No, the day after his OC left he immediately tapped the guy who was his ASSISTANT QB coach for one single year two years ago and ASSISTANT WR coach for a couple of years prior to that.... THAT guy. Why? Because he saw him running a version of his offense in Kentucky to the tune of +10pgg over the previous year (a metric he would repeat in his return as Kentucky OC too). No extensive search, no long in house interviews, none of that. The very next day- boom Liam.

Despite Liam knowing that McVay is the kind of HC that calls his own plays (nothing wrong with that), he went back to LA so he can get a full year as the actual OC of the Rams and absorb everything he had left from McVay (as he put it get his PhD in Coaching). Then he left LA to go back to being the man who calls the plays in Kentucky (another 9 ppg bump upon return).

Bootz wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:58 pm Don't see how that equates to @13F11B implying Coen was McVay's playcaller.
Now who is making stuff up? Hell, 13F11B didn't even say anything. He just debunk your post below as blatantly false.
Or as you call it "a lie".
Bootz wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:43 am Agreed. Coen at least has playcalling experience, albeit at the college level only. But it was way more experience than Canales came here with.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:54 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:45 pm Tell me you sincerely believe he called plays for Sean McVay.
I sincerely believe he called plays for Sean McVay.... because he did.
In fact, I think he may be the only coach McVay has ever let call plays in a real game.
The Rams ran 1032 offensive plays in 2022. Liam Coen called 55 of them. So if calling 5% of a teams plays for an entire season makes one a playcaller, your assessment is disingenuous but clearly you need it to cope.

If we take you at your word, you're calling Liam Coen a liar...
“You start to realize that as much as I loved going back and helping Sean and going back and learning again … you learn you really miss calling plays, and you miss running the show,” Coen said. “And Coach Stoops does an unbelievable job of letting us coaches coach and truly letting us be ourselves.”
https://theathletic.com/4365473/2023/03 ... tball-nfl/
Doctor wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:54 pm Do you even follow the Bucs? No wonder you think I just be making stuff up some times, you don't read or watch shit. I binge as much Bucs stuff I come across, interviews, podcast, whatever. That's why I believe so much in this culture change, because I've literally heard it change in real time. But that's not what this post is about.
I do. And I pay attention as well. You shamelessly lie. A lot. You only get upset when you get called out. You argue against facts, quotes, stats, data. You manipulate events to fit your agenda, like you did below that I'll address..

The point is that if you bother to just educated yourself a tiny bit you'd know that yes, Coen has called plays at the NFL level. In fact, the confidence and trust to do that is major reason why McVay immediately got Coen after Kevin O'Connell got hired to be the Vikes HC. Literally the following day.

He didn't promote Zac Robinson or Wed Phillips or Thomas Brown or his WR coach of 5 years Eric Yarber. No, the day after his OC left he immediately tapped the guy who was his ASSISTANT QB coach for one single year two years ago and ASSISTANT WR coach for a couple of years prior to that.... THAT guy. Why? Because he saw him running a version of his offense in Kentucky to the tune of +10pgg over the previous year (a metric he would repeat in his return as Kentucky OC too). No extensive search, no long in house interviews, none of that. The very next day- boom Liam.
This here. Lies and disingenuous takes. As if you know the operation of McVay's mind. Where did he say that was his reason for hiring Coen?

Why didn't he hire Wes Phillips? Because Phillips went with O'Connell to Minnesota. Why not Zac Robinson? Maybe he didn't want a guy with 2 years coaching experience to be in charge of the offense. Thomas Brown? Make a case there. Yarber? He's been a coach since 1996 and has never been an OC. Doubt it's something he's interested in as he's never even been interviewed.

Despite Liam knowing that McVay is the kind of HC that calls his own plays (nothing wrong with that), he went back to LA so he can get a full year as the actual OC of the Rams and absorb everything he had left from McVay (as he put it get his PhD in Coaching). Then he left LA to go back to being the man who calls the plays in Kentucky (another 9 ppg bump upon return).
But wait, you just said Liam Coen was the Rams playcaller in 2022. Additionally he didnt "leave" LA. He went there on a 1 year deal and they didnt re-up his contract

Bootz wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:58 pm Don't see how that equates to @13F11B implying Coen was McVay's playcaller.
Now who is making stuff up? Hell, 13F11B didn't even say anything. He just debunk your post below as blatantly false.
Or as you call it "a lie".
Bootz wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:43 am Agreed. Coen at least has playcalling experience, albeit at the college level only. But it was way more experience than Canales came here with.
@13F11B wisely and rather cowardly avoided responding. He listed Coen's resume and blatantly highlighted 1 season: 2022 Rams OC. Maybe he'll say what the purpose was of highlighting that 1 season. If it wasn't to imply that Coen was the Rams playcaller on 2022 then what else could it be?

Looking at who you have co-signing you, it confirms to me how full of shit you know you are. @Grahamburn is a known liar and almost as delusional as you. @13F11B is wrong all of the time. Not sure of @Babeinbucland's motivation to co-sign lies. She's "generally" better than that but he no one's perfect.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Liam Coen threw Dave Canales under the bus while explaining how to fix Bucs offense
As if Bucs fans didn't already love Liam Coen enough already.
By Josh Hill | 7:00 AM EDT

While the offseason strategy for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers wasn't necessarily an out with the old, in with the new approach, the team did replace a key member from last year's squad.
Dave Canales parlayed his single season of running the Bucs offense into a head coaching job with the Carolina Panthers. It was a bittersweet moment for the guys who hired him, as losing Canales created an unforeseen challenge while also serving as a feather in their cap.

Most fans viewed it as a turncoat moment for a guy who had already worn them thin. Canales offered a fresh approach from what Byron Leftwich did before getting fired last offseason, but things were far from perfect.
One of the biggest criticisms was Canales' obsessive need to force the run game, something that rarely worked despite how emotional he got about trying to make it happen. Rachaad White was a breakout star last year but mostly because of what he did in the passing game, while the Bucs run game still ranked near the bottom of the league.
With Canales gone, Liam Coen was hired to replace him and he's wasting no time in taking some shots at his predecessor.

Liam Coen roasted Dave Canales over how he ran Buccaneers offense last season
It wasn't just Bucs fans who saw that the overreliance on the run game was a detriment to the rest of the offense. Coen mentioned as much in his press confernce this week ahead of rookie minicamp opening up.
Coen not only described how he plans on fixing the offense, he threw Canales under every single wheel of the bus.

“Some diversity in terms of giving these guys different ways of hitting blocks, whether it’s the mid-zone, the wide one, the tight zone, duo, gap with pullers, perimeter runs — defenses are too good to say that, ‘We’re just going to line up and run a few runs,'” Coen said. “We have to give these guys a toolbox, and also, that goes along with giving them multiple plays in the huddle. “
That pretty much addresses every frustration Bucs fans had last year with Canales.
It's worth pointing out that not everything with Canales was bad. He helped change the pace in a much needed way for a lot of the offense, but he couldn't help reaching for the run game like it was the Holy Grail at the end of Last Crusade, just like Leftwich did.

Coen doesn't seem to have that stubbornness, or at least has the ability to see that what didn't work for the last two guys probably won't work for him no matter how hard he forces it. That's a key change, and it's one that could help open up other things on offense as well.
A major failure for Canales was not finding ways to scheme Chris Godwin or Mike Evans into being bigger parts of the offense. Coen aims to change that, and it all starts with finally figuring out how to get the run game going, and it seems the new guy in charge isn't going to make the same old mistakes.
I said what I said

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You sure you don't want to take a shot at Rick Ross and Metro too while you at it Bootz?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:29 am You sure you don't want to take a shot at Rick Ross and Metro too while you at it Bootz?
And here comes Chris brown from the top rope.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 pm @13F11B wisely and rather cowardly avoided responding. He listed Coen's resume and blatantly highlighted 1 season: 2022 Rams OC. Maybe he'll say what the purpose was of highlighting that 1 season. If it wasn't to imply that Coen was the Rams playcaller on 2022 then what else could it be?

Looking at who you have co-signing you, it confirms to me how full of shit you know you are. @Grahamburn is a known liar and almost as delusional as you. @13F11B is wrong all of the time. Not sure of @Babeinbucland's motivation to co-sign lies. She's "generally" better than that but he no one's perfect.
Cowardly? Interesting. The reality is I posted some facts and felt they stood on their own. I knew you would end up thrashing around about what they really meant, hedging what you said, and back tracking. There was no need to continue to debate that your statement was false. Wrong all the time. Buddy you gotta get some help you are living in a fantasy land. Am I right all the time? No. Am I wrong all the time? No.

Hell, in this instance you posted evidence that you were wrong.
That would mean he called NO Plays outside of college. None.

Then you post this (back tracking)
Bootz wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 pm The Rams ran 1032 offensive plays in 2022. Liam Coen called 55 of them. So if calling 5% of a teams plays for an entire season makes one a playcaller, your assessment is disingenuous but clearly you need it to cope.
I find it funnier than hell that you are attacking the new OC and using a comparison to Canales to do so after you attacked Canales last season.
Bootz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:58 pm I'd love some positive news. This isn't positive. It's not even factual. He hasn't coached a game at OC yet in an NFL regular season game.
Bootz wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:50 am So we’ll be worse than we were with Leftwich.

Doesn’t bode well for Canales or the narrative that Lefty was the problem.
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:19 pm Fools gold. People are lying to themselves. That high is gone and I'll tell you why. If it wasn't, there wouldn't have been such a campaign for Leftwich, our SB winning OC, to be fired. People also wouldn't be putting Bowles on the hot seat.
Bro, you talk shit and never back it up. You are a bunch of hot air at best. You constantly spew a diarrhea word salad in hopes that one of your remarks will hit home and be relevant.

Wipe your ass and take a shower. You stink.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:44 am
Bootz wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 pm @13F11B wisely and rather cowardly avoided responding. He listed Coen's resume and blatantly highlighted 1 season: 2022 Rams OC. Maybe he'll say what the purpose was of highlighting that 1 season. If it wasn't to imply that Coen was the Rams playcaller on 2022 then what else could it be?

Cowardly? Interesting. The reality is I posted some facts and felt they stood on their own. I knew you would end up thrashing around about what they really meant, hedging what you said, and back tracking. There was no need to continue to debate that your statement was false. Wrong all the time. Buddy you gotta get some help you are living in a fantasy land. Am I right all the time? No. Am I wrong all the time? No.

Hell, in this instance you posted evidence that you were wrong.
That would mean he called NO Plays outside of college. None.

Then you post this (back tracking)
Bootz wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 pm The Rams ran 1032 offensive plays in 2022. Liam Coen called 55 of them. So if calling 5% of a teams plays for an entire season makes one a playcaller, your assessment is disingenuous but clearly you need it to cope.
I find it funnier than hell that you are attacking the new OC and using a comparison to Canales to do so after you attacked Canales last season.
Bootz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:58 pm I'd love some positive news. This isn't positive. It's not even factual. He hasn't coached a game at OC yet in an NFL regular season game.
Bootz wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:50 am So we’ll be worse than we were with Leftwich.

Doesn’t bode well for Canales or the narrative that Lefty was the problem.
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:19 pm Fools gold. People are lying to themselves. That high is gone and I'll tell you why. If it wasn't, there wouldn't have been such a campaign for Leftwich, our SB winning OC, to be fired. People also wouldn't be putting Bowles on the hot seat.
Bro, you talk shit and never back it up. You are a bunch of hot air at best. You constantly spew a diarrhea word salad in hopes that one of your remarks will hit home and be relevant.

Wipe your ass and take a shower. You stink.
Your word salad is just that. Let's keep it simple.

So yes or no, was Liam Coen the Rams playcaller in 2022?

Also you're lying saying I'm attacking Coen. I'm not. I'm simply not dumb enough to subscribe to your bullshit saying he was their playcaller.
Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:25 pm
MRM wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:51 pm From everything I have heard about him, he's a pretty sharp play caller. The thing that concerns me is he moves around a lot. He was with the Rams, left there is become OC for Kentucky the year Will Levis had a best season in college, he leaves there to go back to the Rams. After one season there, he goes back to Kentucky. Now he's in Tampa.
His journey doesn't concern me. It's all about Context.

He was with the Rams 1st only as assistant WR coach then assistant QB coach. He took the job st Kentucky as OC, which is a promotion. Then he got the job as the Rams QB coach (I won't even say OC because McVay runs that offense and calls the plays). Any pro job beats a college job unless you're a highly paid HC. Didn't like not calling plays so he went back to Kentucky where he ran the offense. Now he's here.

So it's not as if he took lateral moves. The only "demotion" was going from being the Rams QB coach to running the offense in Kentucky. But even still he had more responsibilities with the Wildcats.

Here he will be an OC who designs the offense and calls the plays. If he leaves here it'll be for a HC job. So in that regard it doesn't worry me.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:29 am You sure you don't want to take a shot at Rick Ross and Metro too while you at it Bootz?
I don't even respond to this clown anymore and he's still @ing me in conversations I'm not even involved in trying to get my attention. What a loser.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:28 am Also you're lying saying I'm attacking Coen. I'm not. I'm simply not dumb enough to subscribe to your bullshit saying he was their playcaller.
I never said he was the playcaller. I simply objected to your saying he never called ANY plays other than in college. Fact. You even confirmed it. Stop arguing with your inability to understand what has been said.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:47 am
Bootz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:28 am Also you're lying saying I'm attacking Coen. I'm not. I'm simply not dumb enough to subscribe to your bullshit saying he was their playcaller.
I never said he was the playcaller. I simply objected to your saying he never called ANY plays other than in college. Fact. You even confirmed it. Stop arguing with your inability to understand what has been said.
55 plays equates to being a playcaller in your estimation? Got it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

55 = 0?

This shouldn't be hard but I won't hold my breath.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:47 am
I don't even respond to this clown anymore and he's still @ing me in conversations I'm not even involved in trying to get my attention. What a loser.
You don't respond because you try to save face. But you've shown yourself to be a known liar. You think players can jump from team to team if they want like it's the transfer portal. You debated one of our draftees accumulated college statistics. Lying is like breathing for you. And you get upset & cry to management when you get called out.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:17 am 55 = 0?

This shouldn't be hard but I won't hold my breath.
55=Rams playcaller?

Won't hold my breath either. Respect since you purposely ignored context as to why he called that game, why it was only 1 game AND left out why he went back to Kentucky.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:56 am
13F11B wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:47 am

No. 55 plays equates to NOT BEING no play calling experience except college. 55 is greater than ZERO.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:03 am
Bootz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:56 am

No. 55 plays equates to NOT BEING no play calling experience except college. 55 is greater than ZERO.
Good to see you're so exact now. We shouldn't see anymore over exaggerations from you going forward.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Babeinbucland wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm Liam Coen threw Dave Canales under the bus while explaining how to fix Bucs offense

While the offseason strategy for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers wasn't necessarily an out with the old, in with the new approach, the team did replace a key member from last year's squad.
Dave Canales parlayed his single season of running the Bucs offense into a head coaching job with the Carolina Panthers. It was a bittersweet moment for the guys who hired him, as losing Canales created an unforeseen challenge while also serving as a feather in their cap.

Most fans viewed it as a turncoat moment for a guy who had already worn them thin. Canales offered a fresh approach from what Byron Leftwich did before getting fired last offseason, but things were far from perfect.
One of the biggest criticisms was Canales' obsessive need to force the run game, something that rarely worked despite how emotional he got about trying to make it happen. Rachaad White was a breakout star last year but mostly because of what he did in the passing game, while the Bucs run game still ranked near the bottom of the league.
With Canales gone, Liam Coen was hired to replace him and he's wasting no time in taking some shots at his predecessor.

It wasn't just Bucs fans who saw that the overreliance on the run game was a detriment to the rest of the offense. Coen mentioned as much in his press conference this week ahead of rookie minicamp opening up.
Coen not only described how he plans on fixing the offense, he threw Canales under every single wheel of the bus.

“Some diversity in terms of giving these guys different ways of hitting blocks, whether it’s the mid-zone, the wide one, the tight zone, duo, gap with pullers, perimeter runs — defenses are too good to say that, ‘We’re just going to line up and run a few runs,'” Coen said. “We have to give these guys a toolbox, and also, that goes along with giving them multiple plays in the huddle. “
That pretty much addresses every frustration Bucs fans had last year with Canales.
It's worth pointing out that not everything with Canales was bad. He helped change the pace in a much needed way for a lot of the offense, but he couldn't help reaching for the run game like it was the Holy Grail at the end of Last Crusade, just like Leftwich did.

Coen doesn't seem to have that stubbornness, or at least has the ability to see that what didn't work for the last two guys probably won't work for him no matter how hard he forces it. That's a key change, and it's one that could help open up other things on offense as well.
A major failure for Canales was not finding ways to scheme Chris Godwin or Mike Evans into being bigger parts of the offense. Coen aims to change that, and it all starts with finally figuring out how to get the run game going, and it seems the new guy in charge isn't going to make the same old mistakes.
Now, I read this... what's it really saying? Yes, he's throwing Canales under the bus, but does that mean that Bowles had no input? Bowles just let Canales do what he wanted? Or is it that he's throwing Canales under the bust to protect Bowles in so much that, we are pretending that Bowles didn't want a more conservative/ball controlled offense? You know why I ask that? The last sentence.

What changes? He's going to put the ball in Mayfield's hand more? I can assure everyone here... that is a fast track to failure. Here's the thing... our offense, didn't change in the sense that based on the offseason, we have at least 9, maybe 10, or even all 11 starters back. Yeah, we drafted a Center in R1. Do we know he's going to start W1? Do we even know he's going to be better? Let's say that the answer to those questions is "Yes". Good, so 10 returning starters. Is Bredeson going to start too? Is he an upgrade? Last year the Giants had one of the worst offensive lines (pass AND run blocking), in the league. Even they didn't think Bredeson was worth $3M to keep... but we think he's an upgrade? Ok, let's pretend he is. That means we're expecting a rookie and a castoff LG to upgrade our OL. Fine. We're returning the other 9 guys.

So, if we're not going run like Canales did and we're not going to put the ball in Mayfield's hand (we know this because we're all not ignoring the fact that Bowles wants a more conservative offense, right? Right). What's the plan? It seems to be that Coen didn't have a problem with Canales play calling per se, it's that he had a bigger issue on how he ran the plays (see bold/italicized). One glimpse of hope is that he worked under McVay who comes from a long line of coaches who were very effective at running the ball. For the most part, that effectiveness came from good blocking. The make or break point for this season will be, is he right? We have the players, just not the right game plan?

That's my take, anyway.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:35 am
13F11B wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:03 am

Good to see you're so exact now. We shouldn't see anymore over exaggerations from you going forward.
I was never concerned with me. You are the issue.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

CannonFire wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:50 am
Babeinbucland wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm Liam Coen threw Dave Canales under the bus while explaining how to fix Bucs offense

It wasn't just Bucs fans who saw that the overreliance on the run game was a detriment to the rest of the offense. Coen mentioned as much in his press conference this week ahead of rookie minicamp opening up.

Now, I read this... what's it really saying? Yes, he's throwing Canales under the bus, but does that mean that Bowles had no input? Bowles just let Canales do what he wanted? Or is it that he's throwing Canales under the bust to protect Bowles in so much that, we are pretending that Bowles didn't want a more conservative/ball controlled offense? You know why I ask that? The last sentence.

What changes? He's going to put the ball in Mayfield's hand more? I can assure everyone here... that is a fast track to failure. Here's the thing... our offense, didn't change in the sense that based on the offseason, we have at least 9, maybe 10, or even all 11 starters back. Yeah, we drafted a Center in R1. Do we know he's going to start W1? Do we even know he's going to be better? Let's say that the answer to those questions is "Yes". Good, so 10 returning starters. Is Bredeson going to start too? Is he an upgrade? Last year the Giants had one of the worst offensive lines (pass AND run blocking), in the league. Even they didn't think Bredeson was worth $3M to keep... but we think he's an upgrade? Ok, let's pretend he is. That means we're expecting a rookie and a castoff LG to upgrade our OL. Fine. We're returning the other 9 guys.

So, if we're not going run like Canales did and we're not going to put the ball in Mayfield's hand (we know this because we're all not ignoring the fact that Bowles wants a more conservative offense, right? Right). What's the plan? It seems to be that Coen didn't have a problem with Canales play calling per se, it's that he had a bigger issue on how he ran the plays (see bold/italicized). One glimpse of hope is that he worked under McVay who comes from a long line of coaches who were very effective at running the ball. For the most part, that effectiveness came from good blocking. The make or break point for this season will be, is he right? We have the players, just not the right game plan?

That's my take, anyway.
Yep I’m certain you are correct and they will do neither. instead they will just concede all the games and fold. 🤷‍♀️ I mean what other choice is there amirite?
Last edited by Babeinbucland on Thu May 09, 2024 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I said what I said

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

That's my take, anyway.
I think yours is a reasonable take on what was written in that article.

My first thought when I read the line, "One of the biggest criticisms was Canales' obsessive need to force the run game, something that rarely worked despite how emotional he got about trying to make it happen," was, how much of that was Canales' desire and how much of that was Bowles' desire for a conservative/balanced approach on offense, thus dictating to Canales to run more? Given the fact we didn't have the OL to make running more successful contributed to the disaster that was the Bucs running game.

Edited to add: Perhaps Canales jumping to a crappy Carolina team was born more from a desire to have more autonomy in how the offense will be run. I mean, he was willing to stake his reputation becoming a first year HC of a team with, what many consider, one of the worst owners in the NFL rather than build on his OC chops and turning that into a HC gig with a better team/owner.
Last edited by Buc2 on Thu May 09, 2024 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:30 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:35 am

Pathological liars are never concerned with their behavior.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:47 pm
13F11B wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:30 pm

Pathological liars are never concerned with their behavior.
You set a clear-cut example of that. Thanks for letting us know what your problem is.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Tepper has an arm, he will throw his drink at Canales when he gets upset about the offense.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

The Bucs strength of schedule is only slightly harder than the schedules for the other teams in its division.
T-27 Buccaneers 138-151 .478
T-29 Panthers 135-154 .467
T-29 Bears 135-154 .467
T-31 Saints 131-158 .453
T-31 Falcons 131-158 .453

Of course this is based on the 2023 results. A true strength of schedule won't be known until the end of the 2024 season.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

GreatTimes wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:54 am The Bucs strength of schedule is only slightly harder than the schedules for the other teams in its division.
T-29 Bears 135-154 .467
T-31 Saints 131-158 .453

Of course this is based on the 2023 results. A true strength of schedule won't be known until the end of the 2024 season.
Take out everyone's division opponents, and you have a complete 180 (for the Bucs). The Bucs have the 5th hardest schedule in the NFL, among non-division opponents. Take notice of where the Falcons and Saints are. If you just look at the whole, the Bucs, Falcons, and the Saints are similar... but when you take each others records out of the equation (thanks to 2 games against a 2-win Panthers), the Bucs' schedule isn't quite so close.

RK TM PCT
1 Buffalo Bills 0.561
2 Dallas Cowboys 0.556
2 Houston Texans 0.556
4 Kansas City Chiefs 0.551
5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 0.545
6 Detroit Lions 0.540
7 Green Bay Packers 0.535
7 Las Vegas Raiders 0.535
7 San Francisco 49ers 0.535
10 Jacksonville Jaguars 0.524
10 Philadelphia Eagles 0.524
12 Miami Dolphins 0.519
13 Los Angeles Rams 0.513
14 Denver Broncos 0.508
14 New Orleans Saints 0.508
14 New York Giants 0.508
17 Cleveland Browns 0.503
17 New York Jets 0.503
19 Indianapolis Colts 0.492
20 New England Patriots 0.487
21 Atlanta Falcons 0.476
21 Minnesota Vikings 0.476
21 Seattle Seahawks 0.476
24 Baltimore Ravens 0.471
24 Pittsburgh Steelers 0.471
26 Washington Commanders 0.465
27 Tennessee Titans 0.460
28 Carolina Panthers 0.455
29 Los Angeles Chargers 0.449
30 Arizona Cardinals 0.422
30 Chicago Bears 0.422
32 Cincinnati Bengals 0.412
Last edited by CannonFire on Fri May 10, 2024 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Babeinbucland wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:45 pm

That's my take, anyway.
Yep I’m certain you are correct and they will do neither. instead they will just concede all the games and fold. 🤷‍♀️ I mean what other choice is there amirite?
Boy, you seemed to take offense for questions posed about the article... one to which you didn't write. Seems odd. :?
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

CannonFire wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:04 am
GreatTimes wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:54 am The Bucs strength of schedule is only slightly harder than the schedules for the other teams in its division.
T-29 Bears 135-154 .467
T-31 Saints 131-158 .453

Take out everyone's division opponents, and you have a complete 180 (for the Bucs). The Bucs have the 5th hardest schedule in the NFL, among non-division opponents. Take notice of where the Falcons and Saints are. If you just look at the whole, the Bucs, Falcons, and the Saints are similar... but when you take each others records out of the equation (thanks to 2 games against a 2-win Panthers), the Bucs' schedule isn't quite so close.

RK TM PCT
1 Buffalo Bills 0.561
2 Dallas Cowboys 0.556
2 Houston Texans 0.556
4 Kansas City Chiefs 0.551
5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 0.545
6 Detroit Lions 0.540
7 Green Bay Packers 0.535
7 Las Vegas Raiders 0.535
7 San Francisco 49ers 0.535
10 Jacksonville Jaguars 0.524
10 Philadelphia Eagles 0.524
12 Miami Dolphins 0.519
13 Los Angeles Rams 0.513
14 Denver Broncos 0.508
14 New Orleans Saints 0.508
14 New York Giants 0.508
17 Cleveland Browns 0.503
17 New York Jets 0.503
19 Indianapolis Colts 0.492
20 New England Patriots 0.487
21 Atlanta Falcons 0.476
21 Minnesota Vikings 0.476
21 Seattle Seahawks 0.476
24 Baltimore Ravens 0.471
24 Pittsburgh Steelers 0.471
26 Washington Commanders 0.465
27 Tennessee Titans 0.460
28 Carolina Panthers 0.455
29 Los Angeles Chargers 0.449
30 Arizona Cardinals 0.422
30 Chicago Bears 0.422
32 Cincinnati Bengals 0.412
It is literally not even close. I'll eliminate common opponents and division opponents. Here are the unique opponents for our division:

Falcons: SEA, PIT, MIN.
Bucs: SF, BAL, DET.
Saints: CLE, LAR, GB
Panthers: AZ, CIN, CHI.

We get three of the absolute best teams in football. Three teams that could all be considered superbowl contenders.

Falcons get a good SEA, a PIT with question marks, and a bottom of the barrel MIN.

Not even close.