The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Cheb

Re: The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

Post by Cheb »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:30 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:46 pm

Agreed. Much as I am a fan of Kyle Trask, drafting a QB in the first round this year would be a similar mistake.

We were one quarter away from the NFC championship, and using our offseason resources to get us there and beyond should be the priority imo, not adding another young blood to the QB when we are due to pay Baker for the foreseeable future.
That's right... every qb in the draft is a bust, until WE reclaim them. Every other guy is a choke artist, except for our QB with 2 mins left, when he threw a pick.

:lol:

Thought you were better than that Cheb. You always come off as a very realistic person, and not a blind homer. :D
I never said anything about specific quarterbacks in the draft or busts or choke artists or interceptions.

What I said is that we made it to the playoffs and damn near made it even further had the defense not collapsed against the Lions.

My premise is simple; the Bucs are competitive right now, and our team goal in my opinion should be to make us moreso, to shore up holes and depth across the roster so we can make an honest run at a Superbowl, because we were literally 5 quarters away from one just a few months ago.

Would adding a first round quarterback move the ball towards that goal line? No, it wouldn't. Drafting a first round quarterback wastes our most valuable offseason resource for a guy we hope doesn't see the field, because we just paid our incumbent starter to be The Dude for the next few years. Love him or hate him, Mayfield is the guy now, and we should do our best to put pieces around him to make him and the rest of the team successful. Spending a first rounder on a quarterback doesn't further that goal, my dude.

Does that make me a homer? I think that's a pretty balanced take.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Cheb wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:46 pm
kaimaru wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:37 pm

Why when we have glaring needs at edge and iOL are you wasting our #1 on a potential bust of a QB in a draft with little edge beyond the top 4 and needing probably two iOL? We have seen what Fields looks like with a shitty OLine (see Chicago) and you want to put Nix in the same position?
Agreed. Much as I am a fan of Kyle Trask, drafting a QB in the first round this year would be a similar mistake.

We were one quarter away from the NFC championship, and using our offseason resources to get us there and beyond should be the priority imo, not adding another young blood to the QB when we are due to pay Baker for the foreseeable future.
To be fair to @CannonFire he was asked what would he have done instead of signing Mayfield. I think @Grahamburn asked for a specific scenario to get Cannon on record. He can’t be slammed for offering up his alternative path.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

The original request
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:46 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:21 pm

What's it matter? Unless I say I'm going to force KC to give us Mahomes, you're going to poo poo any suggestion I make.
Just so we'd have some message board receipts. I didn't figure you'd plant a flag.

If Mayfield fails you'll say "I told you so," but without stating what you would have specifically done differently your stance doesn't have much credibility.

I wouldn't "poo poo" anything as long as it was realistic.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

@CannonFire just wondering, which quarterback do you think would be the best fit for the Bucs?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

So, Fields and then Nix with #26 would have been the move? Noted.

I don’t think that makes us better for 2024, but could have been a more viable long term plan. We’ll see how things work out.

No team in the league felt like Fields was worthy of being a starter. His career arc will be interesting to follow. I’ll be paying attention as his offseason saga has been quite interesting.

I don’t dislike Nix. Don’t think I’ve ever posted that. I think it will take him some time. I hope he lands in a good spot.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:24 am @CannonFire just wondering, which quarterback do you think would be the best fit for the Bucs?
His detailed post on the previous page indicated Fields and then drafting Nix with the 26th pick.

I think those moves make us a much worse football team in the short term, but either of those QBs could eventually have been as good as Mayfield is right now.

I don’t know why you’d use valuable draft resources to find out? Spite for Mayfield I guess.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:24 am

That's right... every qb in the draft is a bust, until WE reclaim them. Every other guy is a choke artist, except for our QB with 2 mins left, when he threw a pick.

Thought you were better than that Cheb. You always come off as a very realistic person, and not a blind homer. :D
I never said anything about specific quarterbacks in the draft or busts or choke artists or interceptions.

What I said is that we made it to the playoffs and damn near made it even further had the defense not collapsed against the Lions.

My premise is simple; the Bucs are competitive right now, and our team goal in my opinion should be to make us moreso, to shore up holes and depth across the roster so we can make an honest run at a Superbowl, because we were literally 5 quarters away from one just a few months ago.

Would adding a first round quarterback move the ball towards that goal line? No, it wouldn't. Drafting a first round quarterback wastes our most valuable offseason resource for a guy we hope doesn't see the field, because we just paid our incumbent starter to be The Dude for the next few years. Love him or hate him, Mayfield is the guy now, and we should do our best to put pieces around him to make him and the rest of the team successful. Spending a first rounder on a quarterback doesn't further that goal, my dude.

Additionally it is worth saying that Baker is not the primary reason we lost most of the games we lost (if any of them). However, He did contribute significantly to many of the games we won. If he gets the necessary pieces we need, he has allll the opportunity to take us into the SB.
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:30 am
Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:24 am @CannonFire just wondering, which quarterback do you think would be the best fit for the Bucs?
His detailed post on the previous page indicated Fields and then drafting Nix with the 26th pick.

I think those moves make us a much worse football team in the short term, but either of those QBs could eventually have been as good as Mayfield is right now.

I don’t know why you’d use valuable draft resources to find out? Spite for Mayfield I guess.
We have the number 1 QB draft pick in our backfield right now. He showed us those skills last season. Time to move on from QB discussion. Please.
I said what I said

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Gotcha. Thanks
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:39 am

We have the number 1 QB draft pick in our backfield right now. He showed us those skills last season. Time to move on from QB discussion. Please.
You're not the boss of me. But, I'm ready to move on. That was the point of asking the question of what he'd have done differently. Now we know and can see how it plays out. :)
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:04 am
Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:39 am

You're not the boss of me. But, I'm ready to move on. That was the point of asking the question of what he'd have done differently. Now we know and can see how it plays out. :)
Shoot, I should have put a line in there saying that my post was not directed at you personally, just the subject. (And maybe one other poster lol)
I said what I said

CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Cheb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:24 am

My bad, I forgot on this board that when you reply to a quote, both people in the quote don't get mentioned. My main focus was to kaimru and his rookie QB busts angle (weird considering Mayfield was that). Me including you in this was mainly that I thought you'd see through his stance.

Anywho... specifically with the point made, I see Mayfield as a net negative for the team. I see us as a 10+ win team last year that barely won 9, and Mayfield was the biggest reason. Sure, there were others, no doubt... including issues on the iOL as mentioned, but Mayfield was the main problem. I see Mayfield as a replacement level QB in that, any player who is average or close to average, could yield similar results at a fraction of the cost. Specifically, I'll throw this out there:

Justin Fields (or 1st Rd QB) + Jon Runyan Jr (+ 5th round pick if trade for Fields) >> Baker Mayfield + 1st rd iOL

Costs would've been similar.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:51 am

Shoot, I should have put a line in there saying that my post was not directed at you personally, just the subject. (And maybe one other poster lol)
That doesn't make sense, as you are quoting him directly addressing the discussion about qb but you continue to do what you do. Shrug
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:51 am

I was kidding around.

Plus, as Bucs’ fans we know we’re doomed to forever discuss the QB situation.

Even when we have a good one we want to replace him.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I'm only going by what I've read, I'm no college football aficionado as I find it more boring than watching paint dry. But, a lot of what I've read points to Bo Nix as being similar, if not a better version of Mayfield. If that's true, why pay Mayfield $50M guaranteed when a substantially cheaper version is available, and for 5 years compared to 2? I haven't seen a single outlet projecting Nix to go in R1. If that's the case, take him at #26. Now, I'm not saying that the Bucs should do that because I say they should... I'm just putting out there options.

In listening to NFLRadio for a number of years, every single current coach/GM/executive as well as former coaches/GM/Executives all seem to agree that if you think there is a guy whom you believe will be a franchise QB is available to you when you take him, you take him at the earliest possible chance you can. So, if the Bucs think Nix is a franchise QB, they should absolutely take him at #26 and not hope he falls to them at #57. Now, if they want to package up #57, #89, & #92 to get back into the first at say pick #31 and take him, that's fine too. That worked out for Baltimore in 2018 pretty well. It gives you the ability to get that extra year.

Another player that I like because I heard an interview with him is Penix. He comes across as extremely knowledgeable about the game. He clearly can play, I mean, he won the Heisman, right? A lot of outlets have him outside the first round as well. I'm ok with him @ #26 or a trade up back into R1 to get him.

Both of those guys seem like they fit the mobile (not runner), style QB mold that Mayfield is. If that's the type of player the Bucs are looking for, to me, that's 2 guys that will cost half as much as Mayfield, yield similar results, and we'll have them for 5 years or more.

Had the Bucs gone out and parted with a 5th rd pick this year to bring in Fields, the $8M savings from not bringing Mayfield back would've given us a better financial footing to bring in a guard (like I mentioned in my post to @Cheb, and address the iOL in free agency. It would allow us the flexibility to still draft another player in R1 and maybe use #57 to get a QB. We'd still have our 3rd's and 4th to address other needs.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:27 am So, Fields and then Nix with #26 would have been the move? Noted.

I don’t think that makes us better for 2024, but could have been a more viable long term plan. We’ll see how things work out.

No team in the league felt like Fields was worthy of being a starter. His career arc will be interesting to follow. I’ll be paying attention as his offseason saga has been quite interesting.

I don’t dislike Nix. Don’t think I’ve ever posted that. I think it will take him some time. I hope he lands in a good spot.
No team thought Mayfield was a starter last year either. A difference between the 2 though is... Fields had to be bought from another team while Mayfield was free to be had for just money. Unlike in Cleveland where Mayfield had an excellent OLine, Nick Chubb, ODB, and Landry, Fields had a terrible OLine, an 'ok' backfield, and only 1 season with DJ Moore. On a 3-win team in 2022, Fields still got MVP votes.

To me, those 2 are guys that would have at worst, been able to accomplish what Mayfield did, but actually have a ceiling to be attained. Mayfield is a finished product and at least $50M. That money would be better spent on other players securing other holes, instead of depending on the draft to fill them all out. To me, it's more a matter of an allocation of funds to best fill all our needs. Mayfield is a guy you bring in on the cheap when you have people in place and need someone to not screw it up. He's not a guy you invest $50M (or more), in and build with.

(Note: the part you thinking Nix would be a bust was sarcasm, not accusing.)
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Because Mayfield doesn't make our team better either and the money wasted on him could've been used to bring in more developed players to fill needs via free agency, instead of needing rookies to step in and play Day 1 and succeed.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Couple things:

The Bucs don’t have a 5th this year.

Jayden Daniels won the Heisman.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:21 pm

Because Mayfield doesn't make our team better either and the money wasted on him could've been used to bring in more developed players to fill needs via free agency, instead of needing rookies to step in and play Day 1 and succeed.
But your strategy would have been to draft a QB with the 26th pick, OR use other valuable picks to trade back into the first round to take a QB. While also trading for Fields and starting him I assume?

Essentially having a rookie and/or multiple picks contribute nothing.

We’d also need a #1 WR because Evans never would have signed under those circumstances.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

And adding Mayfield quite literally made our team better last year from a production, wins, and playoff run standpoint.

It’s not easy to play QB even at an average level. I won’t root for any of these rookies to fail. It’s likely most of them will though.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:33 pm

But your strategy would have been to draft a QB with the 26th pick, OR use other valuable picks to trade back into the first round to take a QB. While also trading for Fields and starting him I assume?

Essentially having a rookie and/or multiple picks contribute nothing.

We’d also need a #1 WR because Evans never would have signed under those circumstances.
Ok, give up a 4th next year making it a guarantee instead of unknown. No biggie.

My bad, Penix finished a close 2nd. Doesn't change anything really.

Evans signed before Mayfield, so that's moot.

You don't need as many rookies because you'd have had more money to spend on FA's to get more known commodities.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Is this becoming similar to Anyone But Jameis to certain people?

This is insane to me.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:16 pm Is this becoming similar to Anyone But Jameis to certain people?

This is insane to me.
Yeah. I don’t get it. He had a good year. He’s a good QB. Good QBs are hard to find. They’re rare. That’s why there are multiple busts drafted at the position every single year.

We don’t have to use draft capital on the position and his contract isn’t cost prohibitive in any way.

It’s a great position to be in.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:10 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:16 pm Is this becoming similar to Anyone But Jameis to certain people?

This is insane to me.
Yeah. I don’t get it. He had a good year. He’s a good QB. Good QBs are hard to find. They’re rare. That’s why there are multiple busts drafted at the position every single year.

We don’t have to use draft capital on the position and his contract isn’t cost prohibitive in any way.

At the very least hes not holding the team back.
There are bigger fish to fry here. Fixing the oline, finding a pass rush, getting a consistent run game. Those things are a higher priority now imo.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Obsolete wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:14 pm

There are bigger fish to fry here. Fixing the oline, finding a pass rush, getting a consistent run game. Those things are a higher priority now imo.
Right, and the reason we can focus our higher draft capital on those positions is because Baker costs nothing but $$.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

This is insane to me.

I think the reason is with the skepticism is 6 years in we know what Baker's ceiling is. And that ceiling isn't going to propel you to a Super Bowl. The Bucs seem to know this as well and want more data, as evidenced by a contract which amounts to being a controlled franchise tag year with 2 options. Hell you even acknowledge as much.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

And those things aren't even being done this year. They literally have done nothing to address those issues. We'll hope to rely on the "rookie saviors".
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:30 pm

I think the reason is with the skepticism is 6 years in we know what Baker's ceiling is. And that ceiling isn't going to propel you to a Super Bowl. The Bucs seem to know this as well and want more data, as evidenced by a contract which amounts to being a controlled franchise tag year with 2 options. Hell you even acknowledge as much.
Hasn’t and can’t aren’t the same. Let’s see how he does with a little stability away from that shit show in Cleveland. Maybe we haven’t seen his ceiling?

Getting off the QB roulette wheel should be the goal of any front office. We have at least for a few years.

But, yes. His contract is definitely indicative of “we’re rewarding you for 2023, but want to see more.”
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:32 pm

And those things aren't even being done this year. They literally have done nothing to address those issues. We'll hope to rely on the "rookie saviors".
Still plenty of time. There’s another wave after the draft and June 1st cuts.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:40 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:32 pm

June 1st cuts don't even happen anymore because teams are allowed to carry a full 90 man roster all the way through TC. June 1st was a target date for the OLD CBA back about 15-20 years ago.

At that point if you're STILL looking for impact type players you're in trouble.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:06 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:40 pm

June 1st cuts don't even happen anymore because teams are allowed to carry a full 90 man roster all the way through TC. June 1st was a target date for the OLD CBA back about 15-20 years ago.

At that point if you're STILL looking for impact type players you're in trouble.
Put June 1st cuts in quotes then. There are always guys that come available or find their market after the draft.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:15 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:06 pm

Put June 1st cuts in quotes then. There are always guys that come available or find their market after the draft.
Lately you've been very keen on using the element of time and the future to try and make points in the present.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Fields for the Baker hater...yeah ok :lol:

If he hates Mayfield that much, he's really going to hate Fields.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

26 centers have been drafted in the first round since 1963 - so 61 years.

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/c
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

This is insane to me.

This is where I am. I’m no Mayfield homer, but there is really nothing that “sucks” about the position we are currently facing in regards to the QB position.
Don't tread on me