The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
CannonFire

Re: The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

Post by CannonFire »

Phantom wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:50 pm Cannon, It seems like you have been constantly posting negative thing about Mayfield in last few months. Are you a Browns fan or something? Mayfield hater?
Honestly, I'm utterly shocked that I'm one of a few people who don't like him. Everything about him says "below average". Yes, I understand he's a $10M cap hit, but we're paying him at least $50 between this year and next, to be one of the 12 worst QBs in the league. If he was signed to a 3 year / $30M deal, you wouldn't have heard a peep from me, because we would've had an extra $30M to spend on FA's who can help the team.

I find interesting that people want the Bucs to improve the team with rookies, but I bring that up saying a rookie should be a qb instead of a below average qb, and I'm "the hater".
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 pm
Phantom wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:50 pm Cannon, It seems like you have been constantly posting negative thing about Mayfield in last few months. Are you a Browns fan or something? Mayfield hater?
Honestly, I'm utterly shocked that I'm one of a few people who don't like him. Everything about him says "below average". Yes, I understand he's a $10M cap hit, but we're paying him at least $50 between this year and next, to be one of the 12 worst QBs in the league. If he was signed to a 3 year / $30M deal, you wouldn't have heard a peep from me, because we would've had an extra $30M to spend on FA's who can help the team.

I find interesting that people want the Bucs to improve the team with rookies, but I bring that up saying a rookie should be a qb instead of a below average qb, and I'm "the hater".
If we start rpokie quarterback there is a 50% chance he will not be successful.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

I don't think the issue is with your opinion.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 pm
acmillis wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 pm Two firsts for a TE...yeah, IDK about that. I know he's seen as generational, but he's still a TE and we have no clue how Coen intends to use TE(s) in this offense.

Think about it. How many TEs would you be willing to give up two first round picks for (going as far back as you want). You can probably count them on one, maybe two hands, and that's knowing how their respective careers turned out.

I mean...there are only 11 HOF TEs (Gronk assuredly going in, IMO), so call it a dozen.

It's a "roll of the dice" I wouldn't want to take. Just my .02.
On an offense with a bad OL, no depth at WR, 1 that's 31, the other in a contract year, a subpar RB room, the last thing we need to be doing is trading up for a TE.
I don't care what the plan is for the OC. You just don't do it.
Bowers lined up out wide or in the slot 1,033 snaps compared to 876 snaps at in-line TE. One could say he could be our WR depth
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 pm

On an offense with a bad OL, no depth at WR, 1 that's 31, the other in a contract year, a subpar RB room, the last thing we need to be doing is trading up for a TE.
I don't care what the plan is for the OC. You just don't do it.
Bowers lined up out wide or in the slot 1,033 snaps compared to 876 snaps at in-line TE. One could say he could be our WR depth
That doesn't help the argument at all. In fact it validates why you should trade up for a TE who doesn't even play his traditional position
Most hated man in America.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 pm

That doesn't help the argument at all. In fact it validates why you should trade up for a TE who doesn't even play his traditional position
I never suggested we traded up, but as I said in my mock draft that I did, he fell to us and it wouldn't make sense not to take him. In that case, it would make sense. Trading up, I agree with you
Snake

Post by Snake »

You have to look at Bowers as a thick wide receiver. he’s like 3 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than gronk. Gronk is one of the ten best athletes in NFL history. So that may not be a fair comparison, but it provides you with some perspective.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:30 pm You have to look at Bowers as a thick wide receiver. he’s like 3 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than gronk. Gronk is one of the ten best athletes in NFL history. So that may not be a fair comparison, but it provides you with some perspective.
So somewhere between a Gronk and a Deebo Samuel?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Just a feeling but I don't think Chop will get the results we want.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Just curious, what are some 2nd or 3rd team QB you've believed in? Kirk? Brad? Kurt? Drew? Brett?

Or is getting let go proof positive of being a bust?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:07 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:30 pm You have to look at Bowers as a thick wide receiver. he’s like 3 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than gronk. Gronk is one of the ten best athletes in NFL history. So that may not be a fair comparison, but it provides you with some perspective.
Both 2nd round picks.....
Most hated man in America.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Even though it will be really fucking boring, we should spend 2 to 3 early picks on Oline. Baker will cook if we build him a bullet proof line and we have a shot at doing so this year given all the talent available. We have no LG at all, Hainsey needs to be replaced, and Mauch is a complete wildcard. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to push both Hainsey and Mauch down the depth chart as we'll at least have good depth.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:13 am Even though it will be really fucking boring, we should spend 2 to 3 early picks on Oline. Baker will cook if we build him a bullet proof line and we have a shot at doing so this year given all the talent available. We have no LG at all, Hainsey needs to be replaced, and Mauch is a complete wildcard. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to push both Hainsey and Mauch down the depth chart as we'll at least have good depth.

If they are who you think they are - they will be gone by pick 26, 57.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Dallas Clark
Snake

Post by Snake »

Comps are always hard.

He’s really good with the ball in his hands. You don’t have to be a great blocker to be really effective as a tight end in this league. But I reserve that dominant title for guys who can at least excel in both facets.

We will see how it plays out. Kelce is really good while being at best average in the blocking phase. But really, is he a tight end or is he a wide receiver? I think that’s debatable.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 pm

...and?

I don't expect better from Mayfield.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Four Verticals wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 pm

What, it's the constant voicing of my opinion? I assure you, the only times I've ever given it, was when someone else brought it up first. Maybe your issue should be with those people.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

CannonFire wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:56 pm
Four Verticals wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 pm

What, it's the constant voicing of my opinion?
The proverbial broken record.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Four Verticals wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:39 am
CannonFire wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:56 pm

What, it's the constant voicing of my opinion?
The proverbial broken record.
I addressed that in my response. Your problem should be with the people constantly asking me why I have my opinion... not me for giving it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Doctor wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 pm Just curious, what are some 2nd or 3rd team QB you've believed in? Kirk? Brad? Kurt? Drew? Brett?

Asked for your opinion on this one @CannonFire
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Bowers would be that X factor our offense is missing. Not mad at all if we get him at 26
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:57 pm
Doctor wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 pm Just curious, what are some 2nd or 3rd team QB you've believed in? Kirk? Brad? Kurt? Drew? Brett?

Asked for your opinion on this one @CannonFire
He mentioned a few weeks ago about Justin Fields over Baker. I would have hated that move.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

No one is saying not to draft QB though. Just because we like Baker doesn't mean we don't think Baker may be a stop gap. But Baker is still young enough to continue to hold the fort and have stability at the position until the next guy.

He's not below average. Only to you cause you don't like em.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

But now that Fields is on a new team he's a ruined woman, so he's no good anymore.
Am I doing this right?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm
13F11B wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:27 am

Crazy talk. GMs have staff that are responsible for player evaluation. There are people who focus on college players, and others who focus on current NFL players. They give information to the GM and coaches who then make decisions. Not sure blaming Licht is correct in this case.

Now, do I agree the Buccaneers (GM+Scouts+Coaches) fucked up the QB position. Yes, yes I do. The Buccaneers have historically sucked at QB evaluation/development.

Doug Williams
Steve Young
Trent Dilfer
Vinny T
etc...

We can't seem to draft and develop a guy regardless of how the coach and GM are.

We win when we get a veteran

Brady
Brad Johnson

We will see if Mayfield can join them.
It's not crazy talk at all. The GM pulls the trigger, that's his job, it's his accountability. He has control of who his scouts are. If the ones giving him advice on the QB's is routinely wrong, it's his job to make changes, otherwise it will be ownership that changes his situation.
Thank you captain obvious.

I was taking issue with the "we're better off with Licht not evaluating college QB's" part of the post. I agree that Licht needs to get better QB evaluations done. Then again, he has ONLY drafted one QB.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I think CannonFire is concerned that Mayfield has a higher than 50% chance to have a bad year (historically, speaking that is what his stats say) and a 0% chance of being the next Rich Gannon.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:00 am

No one is saying not to draft QB though. Just because we like Baker doesn't mean we don't think Baker may be a stop gap. But Baker is still young enough to continue to hold the fort and have stability at the position until the next guy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Not sure where we draw the lines, but Mayfield was 18th in QBR.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-gr ... nfl-season

19th for PFF.

I think he is better than Jameis Winston, but he still has a lot of room for improvement. The two interceptions in the Lions game, to me, had a huge impact on that game. If his play was better the Buccaneers likely win that game.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

13F11B wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:06 am
CannonFire wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

It's not crazy talk at all. The GM pulls the trigger, that's his job, it's his accountability. He has control of who his scouts are. If the ones giving him advice on the QB's is routinely wrong, it's his job to make changes, otherwise it will be ownership that changes his situation.

I was taking issue with the "we're better off with Licht not evaluating college QB's" part of the post. I agree that Licht needs to get better QB evaluations done. Then again, he has ONLY drafted one QB.
He drafted 2 QB's (Trask), but he also evaluated other QB's... his evaluating Mayfield in 2018 is what started this. If he evaluated Mayfield, it was for a reason... yes? I'm thinking he also evaluated the other QB's in that draft. We were picking 7th after all. In this evaluation processed, he concluded that Winston was the best choice. Oof. Of course, when I say "He", I'm talking about the conglomerate that is involved in the evaluation process. I don't who the other people are, so I'm just referring to him specifically.

In 2018, he went into the draft knowing about the Uber driver incident and a potential suspension looming. He and his cohorts, evaluated the 2018 and felt that neither Allen or Jackson were worth taking and replacing Winston and then on top of that, picked up Winston's 5th year option. That's not just a "he only drafted 1 QB" dynamic. I mean, I give him props for not taking Mariota, but based on what was being reported in 2015, I don't think they ever considered him. It sounded like they had their mind made up that it was Winston, once they officially had the #1 pick.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

This isn't true at all. Multiple people here have been saying it would be a waste of a pick in the 1st or 2nd round to take a QB. There've been others who've said that we shouldn't even be drafting a QB until like rounds 5 or later... or even not at all. At that point, you're just throwing crap at the wall and seeing if anything sticks. That's not looking for a future QB, that's looking for a lottery ticket.

You're not reading my posts. You're apparently stopping at a point and then replying or just assuming my point. I never said I didn't like him. I've always said we shouldn't invest money in him. To me, $50M guaranteed over 2 years is investing in him. I'd have had ZERO problem with a 3 yr/$45M deal with no guaranteed money after Y1 salary. With the deal we gave him, it's all but guaranteed that we will NOT be drafting a QB before RD3. We have no 5th this year which means that we either take a "stab" in the 4th, if anyone is even there, or a dart throw with the last pick in the 6th round or the late 7th. So I'll ask you, since I don't really follow college football, do you think we'll actually get a QB that has a legit shot to be a starter in the 4th round, 6th, or 7th? If your answer is no, then I think your point on "no is saying not to draft a QB", moot. If your answer is yes, I'd like to know so I can read up on them.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

13F11B wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:08 am

I think CannonFire is concerned that Mayfield has a higher than 50% chance to have a bad year (historically, speaking that is what his stats say) and a 0% chance of being the next Rich Gannon.
That's around where I'm at. I mean, he doesn't have to have a "bad year". I think if he has the stat line next year (which would be 4 years of similar numbers... out of 6), we have a losing record because our schedule looks to be harder. I think our ceiling at that point is 7 wins. In reference to Gannon, that's exactly what I'm saying.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:09 pm
13F11B wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:06 am

He drafted 2 QB's (Trask), but he also evaluated other QB's...
I forgot he was here for Jameis. Winston was a bigger mistake than Trask IMHO.

CannonFire wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:09 pm his evaluating Mayfield in 2018 is what started this. If he evaluated Mayfield, it was for a reason... yes? I'm thinking he also evaluated the other QB's in that draft. We were picking 7th after all. In this evaluation processed, he concluded that Winston was the best choice. Oof. Of course, when I say "He", I'm talking about the conglomerate that is involved in the evaluation process. I don't who the other people are, so I'm just referring to him specifically.

In 2018, he went into the draft knowing about the Uber driver incident and a potential suspension looming. He and his cohorts, evaluated the 2018 and felt that neither Allen or Jackson were worth taking and replacing Winston and then on top of that, picked up Winston's 5th year option. That's not just a "he only drafted 1 QB" dynamic. I mean, I give him props for not taking Mariota, but based on what was being reported in 2015, I don't think they ever considered him. It sounded like they had their mind made up that it was Winston, once they officially had the #1 pick.
Yeah, the QB room has, outside of Brady, now looked good for Licht.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

13F11B wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:25 pm
CannonFire wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:09 pm

He drafted 2 QB's (Trask), but he also evaluated other QB's...
I forgot he was here for Jameis. Winston was a bigger mistake than Trask IMHO.

CannonFire wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:09 pm his evaluating Mayfield in 2018 is what started this. If he evaluated Mayfield, it was for a reason... yes? I'm thinking he also evaluated the other QB's in that draft. We were picking 7th after all. In this evaluation processed, he concluded that Winston was the best choice. Oof. Of course, when I say "He", I'm talking about the conglomerate that is involved in the evaluation process. I don't who the other people are, so I'm just referring to him specifically.

Yeah, the QB room has, outside of Brady, now looked good for Licht.
Winston is a bigger mistake than Trask, as far as the investment, I agree with that. I never actually had any positive vibes from Trask, but to me, taking him instead of someone who could actually help in a repeat run is a bigger issue with that pick, than being wrong about him.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:21 pm

You're not reading my posts. You're apparently stopping at a point and then replying or just assuming my point. I never said I didn't like him.
Other than a post earlier in this thread:
Honestly, I'm utterly shocked that I'm one of a few people who don't like him
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

13F11B wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:15 am

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Not sure where we draw the lines, but Mayfield was 18th in QBR.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-gr ... nfl-season

19th for PFF.

I think he is better than Jameis Winston, but he still has a lot of room for improvement. The two interceptions in the Lions game, to me, had a huge impact on that game. If his play was better the Buccaneers likely win that game.
To be fair the first one went right through Mike Evans’ hands.

The 3 straight TD drives the defense gave up in the second half lost that game. Mayfield answered 2 of them.

Yes, you hope for more than a quick INT in that last drive, and that’s usually what sticks for fans. We’re probably a bit jaded by Brady in those situations.

Mayfield did show a knack for coming through during the regular season though in those moments.
Last edited by Grahamburn on Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Ahhhh okay. Cannon Fires entire argument isn't one of actual nuance or substance.

Its a classic case of hindsighting the two QBs who weren't busts in the last few years that he wish we had and being upset we didn't get them. That's it. That's literally all it is.

Oh and totally skipping the fact that doing so would've cost us Vea and CD3, and likely our Super Bowl.

But hey, we'd have a bona-fide savior! One that has lower post season winning percentage, yards and TDs per game than Baker, but bona-fide!