The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Central_Buc

Re: The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

Post by Central_Buc »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:51 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:10 pm

Yeah. I don’t get it. He had a good year. He’s a good QB. Good QBs are hard to find. They’re rare. That’s why there are multiple busts drafted at the position every single year.

We don’t have to use draft capital on the position and his contract isn’t cost prohibitive in any way.

It’s a great position to be in.
This is where I am. I’m no Mayfield homer, but there is really nothing that “sucks” about the position we are currently facing in regards to the QB position.
Brady and Purdy were 6th and 7th round choices. It doest have to stop us from taking late fliers on QB in those rounds in the next few years. If we find a franchise guy there then it was worth it.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Central_Buc wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:14 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:51 pm
This is where I am. I’m no Mayfield homer, but there is really nothing that “sucks” about the position we are currently facing in regards to the QB position.
Brady and Purdy were 6th and 7th round choices. It doest have to stop us from taking late fliers on QB in those rounds in the next few years. If we find a franchise guy there then it was worth it.
Taking a day 3 pick every other year makes sense. Worst case scenario is that you have your 2nd and 3rd QBs on your team on the real cheap. I would add that if you find your franchise QB, maybe a flyer every 4 years at that point? After all you would probably want a veteran since you would be competitive, worst case scenario you trade Brett Favre so you can start Aaron Rodgers in year 7 of Favre's career (it you hit on the very next draft)
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:27 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:15 pm

Put June 1st cuts in quotes then. There are always guys that come available or find their market after the draft.
Lately you've been very keen on using the element of time and the future to try and make points in the present.
It’s funny. I’m a naturally pessimistic person. When it comes to this football team, especially the last few years, I’ve become optimistic.

I would like to see a move for a pass rusher. Hassan Reddick makes a lot of sense. But, we aren’t desperate. Licht doesn’t have to be hasty. That move or another can be made after the draft.

And if a deal doesn’t materialize to your liking then ok. Never make decisions out of desperation.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:46 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:14 pm

Taking a day 3 pick every other year makes sense. Worst case scenario is that you have your 2nd and 3rd QBs on your team on the real cheap. I would add that if you find your franchise QB, maybe a flyer every 4 years at that point? After all you would probably want a veteran since you would be competitive, worst case scenario you trade Brett Favre so you can start Aaron Rodgers in year 7 of Favre's career (it you hit on the very next draft)

Seems like the reason the Packes are successful at developing QBs is they sit them for a couple years, let them learn and mature. They don't just throw them in sink or swim. Not that is always the right decision because everyone is different.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I was thinking, maybe Canales could consider making a trade for Trask just in case Young doesn't perform as well this year.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:14 pm I was thinking, maybe Canales could consider making a trade for Trask just in case Young doesn't perform as well this year.
Not sure if you’re joking? I don’t imagine one year of Kyle Trask is worth much in a trade.

Two former first round picks have gone for 6th rounders in this off-season.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Trask is probably worth very little in a trade anyway. Peanuts?
Snake

Post by Snake »

He has negative value at this point. No one would trade anything for him.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

wow
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Phantom wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:14 pm I was thinking, maybe Canales could consider making a trade for Trask just in case Young doesn't perform as well this year.
The most you’d get for Trask is a seventh rounder and he’d prolly be a #3 qb most places. Carolina still has Andy Dalton I believe to back up Young who is better than Trask.
Snake

Post by Snake »

They’re just isn’t much upside with him. He’s older in his development. His team control is about to run out. He hasn’t made any waves in training camp or stood out in any way (positively).
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:05 pm They’re just isn’t much upside with him. He’s older in his development. His team control is about to run out. He hasn’t made any waves in training camp or stood out in any way (positively).
Licht has said on multiple occasions this offseason that Trask was ahead of Mayfield on some days during their QB battle last year.

While I agree with you that Trask doesn't have much trade value, I'd disagree with your latter statement. Moreover, given that we like him and he knows our team/personnel and he's cheap and he was going toe-to-toe with Mayfield and doing well while doing so last season... why would we try to get rid of him? That's like a perfect backup situation.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s definitely has more value to the organization for the last year of his contract, than anywhere else. I agree with that. It wouldn’t make sense for any team to give up anything a value for him. And at least there’s continuity here. whatever that means
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:05 pm They’re just isn’t much upside with him. He’s older in his development. His team control is about to run out. He hasn’t made any waves in training camp or stood out in any way (positively).
100% agree here. He's 26. Has 1 year left on his deal. Licht saying he "was" in the lead only tells me he wasn't good enough to hold on to it and eventually we would've probably turned to Baker eventually. Additionally he can say whatever he wants about how well Trask is/was performing because no one would be able to know for sure. There's very little live tape of him during an NFL season in 3 years.
Most hated man in America.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Trask will be a FA after this season. How do we feel about bringing him back as a backup after this season? If Baker continues to play well, I don’t see the team using a high pick on a backup again.His familiarity with the team/staff helps if they’re comfortable with him. He won’t break the bank backup money wise.

If Baker doesn’t play well, that completely changes next offseasons approach.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

If Baker does well, all coaches and gm are here for another 2+ years, so give Trask a 2 year, 4 million dollar (total) deal.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

THIS staff has as much familiarity with Baker as they do Trask. This isn't the same Bucs team that drafted him. He came here with a different HC, OC, QB coach than we have now. We even hired a new OC based off his working relationship with Baker Mayfield.

Trask doesn't seem to in the plans long term or short even for this team. He's simply here because he's cheap and they see no reason to make a move.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:37 pm THIS staff has as much familiarity with Baker as they do Trask. This isn't the same Bucs team that drafted him. He came here with a different HC, OC, QB coach than we have now. We even hired a new OC based off his working relationship with Baker Mayfield.

Trask doesn't seem to in the plans long term or short even for this team. He's simply here because he's cheap and they see no reason to make a move.
Yeah, but that’s the same reason Ryan Griffin stuck around since the Clinton administration.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:42 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:37 pm THIS staff has as much familiarity with Baker as they do Trask. This isn't the same Bucs team that drafted him. He came here with a different HC, OC, QB coach than we have now. We even hired a new OC based off his working relationship with Baker Mayfield.

Yeah, but that’s the same reason Ryan Griffin stuck around since the Clinton administration.
Griffin was mostly as the #3/practice squad QB. The exception being 2019 when Gabbert hurt his shoulder in the preseason final and missed the entire year.

If that's how we view Trask then that further tells me that Licht was full of it when he said Trask somehow was leading the competition. To go from potential starter to 3rd stringer is an embarrassing fall from grace.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:16 pm Is this becoming similar to Anyone But Jameis to certain people?

This is insane to me.
I know right? Some people want the team to improve while others just want to wallow in mediocrity... or worse.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Central_Buc wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:18 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:46 pm

Seems like the reason the Packes are successful at developing QBs is they sit them for a couple years, let them learn and mature. They don't just throw them in sink or swim. Not that is always the right decision because everyone is different.
They did that with 1st Rd QB's, not day 3. I'm guessing that's the bigger indicator than anything.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

A draft groupie like you would.

Central is right. Truth is QBs develop at different rates, but do you really care if they took 1 or 3 years by the time its year 6? Of course not.

However NFL windows are shorter than ever and so are regimes. Not to mention there is always a new hotness coming out every year. True grooming is rare these days, mostly because it requires you to already have an a veteran answer at QB, have enough cred to "waste a pick on a QB and not a weapon", and hold at least the same offensive staff/system over years.

The NFL fires HC faster than ever which means it poached staffs faster than ever, see Canales. Unless you have a Reid, Arians, Lafleur, in place to hold the lines, an offensive change likely comes. Oh, and then it's the classic issue of "fit".

People like to act like good GMs have this brilliant super secret plan for success, buts that's not real life. In reality the best GMs set up as many good options as they can to deal with an ever shifting landscape.

The Arians-Trask era exists somewhere in the mutliverse but not here. Shame because the fit was there 1000%. Oh well, cest le vie. But we instead get to explore the Liam-Baker era and I'm excited for it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I would like to see Baker Mayfield have back-to-back good seasons for once in his career.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Would you?
Because you're literally in route to see that show and it sure sounds like you have zero interest in it.

And it didn't exactly sound like you enjoyed the first one.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:52 am Would you?
Because you're literally in route to see that show and it sure sounds like you have zero interest in it.

And it didn't exactly sound like you enjoyed the first one.
Your passive aggressiveness not withstanding, what @Snake can't be disputed. Even by you. I imagine that's why there was some hostility in your tone there.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He said he'd like to see it. That statement can very much be refuted.

As for what he is hinting at I'd like to remind y'all Michael Vick got not one but two $100M deals without putting together back to back good seasons. Because its all about can you win us the next game.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:55 pm
acmillis wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:42 pm

Griffin was mostly as the #3/practice squad QB. The exception being 2019 when Gabbert hurt his shoulder in the preseason final and missed the entire year.

If that's how we view Trask then that further tells me that Licht was full of it when he said Trask somehow was leading the competition. To go from potential starter to 3rd stringer is an embarrassing fall from grace.
Not beating out Mayfield told me all that I need to know about Trask. He's not an NFL QB... his ceiling is a clipboard carrier. Either that or Bowles dropped the ball on who the better QB was. The former looks bad for Licht drafting yet another bust QB while the other looks bad for Bowles.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That horrible take lets me know everything I need to about you as a fan.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

So we're at the Kyle Trask threw the best incompletion in the league last year part of the off-season I see.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Cheb wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:09 pm
Licht has said on multiple occasions this offseason that Trask was ahead of Mayfield on some days during their QB battle last year.

While I agree with you that Trask doesn't have much trade value, I'd disagree with your latter statement. Moreover, given that we like him and he knows our team/personnel and he's cheap and he was going toe-to-toe with Mayfield and doing well while doing so last season... why would we try to get rid of him? That's like a perfect backup situation.
On one hand, we can trust these people at their word and face value. On the other hand, executives and coaches lie all the time. Ego management, expectation management, and being plain old coy are all part of the job.

I personally was a little naïve and thought it was a fair competition. In retrospect, I don’t believe that was the case. Other people predicted Baker would take the job shortly after he signed. Given how the franchise was slapping his image on tweets and other things for marketing purposes. I suppose it was possible that Kyle Trask could’ve transformed into Peyton Manning while Baker Mayfield threw 100 interceptions during training camp. Before anything was said/done, it was Baker’s job to lose. The most memorable thing that Kyle Trask did was throw the worst duck of the NFL’s training camp. He didn’t threaten to start when the goat was here. Apparently he didn’t threaten to take the backup job from Blaine fucking Gabbert.

The dude stinks and that’s all there is to it.

I guess my conclusion is, Kyle Trask is awful, and any sort of waves that he made in training camp were typical fluff garbage. And he would’ve lost every competition. Fair or not.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

My thoughts on Trask have been from the first year that if he were doing anything particularly well in TC/practice that we'd know about it either demonstrably from playing time or we'd hear it from some of the players.

So while we can't or shouldn't conclude that he stinks, we can conclude that he's not been good enough to supplant someone that just received a deal which will cost the team $50mil or so and described by nearly everyone as MOR at best.

At this point I'm still not convinced Trask is the first guy in if Mayfield is out for any reason.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I honestly never wanted Trask to begin with. It was a bad move for a team that was supposed to be going all in for another Super Bowl to waste their 2nd rounder on a 3rd string “development” QB instead of someone that could have gotten on the field and helped us compete for another Lombardi. It doesn’t help that I never saw much upside to begin with, and here we are in the last year of his contract with him probably never starting a game for this team.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Snake wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:53 am
Cheb wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:09 pm

On one hand, we can trust these people at their word and face value. On the other hand, executives and coaches lie all the time. Ego management, expectation management, and being plain old coy are all part of the job.

I personally was a little naïve and thought it was a fair competition. In retrospect, I don’t believe that was the case. Other people predicted Baker would take the job shortly after he signed. Given how the franchise was slapping his image on tweets and other things for marketing purposes. I suppose it was possible that Kyle Trask could’ve transformed into Peyton Manning while Baker Mayfield threw 100 interceptions during training camp. Before anything was said/done, it was Baker’s job to lose. The most memorable thing that Kyle Trask did was throw the worst duck of the NFL’s training camp. He didn’t threaten to start when the goat was here. Apparently he didn’t threaten to take the backup job from Blaine fucking Gabbert.

The dude stinks and that’s all there is to it.

I guess my conclusion is, Kyle Trask is awful, and any sort of waves that he made in training camp were typical fluff garbage. And he would’ve lost every competition. Fair or not.
Agreed. I think the evidence of Mayfield being given the job (in the office), when he signed became obvious when everyone said he "won the job", after the first half of the first preseason game. All during camp we heard how they were neck and neck and then boom, 30 minutes of practice football and Mayfield was the clear winner. Yeah, there was never a competition. It was Mayfield's job and they wanted accomplish 2 things... make Mayfield believe the job wasn't his, as make him have a higher asking price, and 2... temper the fans expectations, because Mayfield is at best, a mediocre QB. I mean, the plan worked. Mayfield played his butt off (props to him for it), and a segment of the fanbase thinks he's actually a good QB, because they had low expectations that were met. Aside from not being able to beat out Mayfield, as you noted, he wasn't even able to beat out Gabbert.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Good grief.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Good grief?