The future of NCAA

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Snake

The future of NCAA

Post by Snake »

With proposals like this, I think it’s safe to say the entity known as the NCAA is beginning to fear for its future.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-proposing ... 51537.html
Of the many recent changes in college athletics, the most transformative — and revolutionary — may be on the way.

NCAA president Charlie Baker is planning to introduce this week a proposal to create a new subdivision within Division I that grants certain schools more autonomy around policy-making and permits them to compensate athletes in a new and profound way.

In a letter sent to Division I members, and obtained by Yahoo Sports, Baker outlines a groundbreaking and radical change to the NCAA Division I athletics model, describing it as a “new forward-looking framework.”

According to Baker’s proposal, schools that choose to be part of the new subdivision — they can opt in or out — are required to meet a strict minimum standard rooted in athlete investment.

Members of the new subdivision will be permitted to strike name, image and likeness (NIL) deals with their own athletes — a significant move away from the current NIL structure.
“It kick-starts a long-overdue conversation among the membership that focuses on the differences that exist between schools, conferences and divisions and how to create more permissive and flexible rules across the NCAA that put student-athletes first,” Baker writes in the letter. “Colleges and universities need to be more flexible, and the NCAA needs to be more flexible, too.”
This actually makes sense if the NCAA is going to exist. Everyone can acknowledge that there’s the haves and have nots in college football. The schools who can go get meaningful NIL deals for players and get 90% of the television attention. And everyone else.

It is likely inevitable that the big conferences will entirely break off from the NCAA anyways and adopt a similar program where every roster spot is compensated.

But at least the MAC schools of the world can still give their kids full ride scholarships and some extra coin on the side. For the love of the game conferences versus the semi pro conferences.
SaggyBallZ

Re: The future of NCAA

Post by SaggyBallZ »

I'm not sure why a new subdivision would need to be made. We already kind of have that with conferences. We know the B1G, SEC and ACC (no longer really the Big XII or PAC) play under different circumstances when it comes to the availability of NIL money for their athletes. It's happening now.

I don't mind the schools getting involved more, but I wouldn't want them to get EXCLUSIVE rights to handle NIL money for athletes. It would be a move backwards IMO by giving the schools more control at the expense of the athletes.

Two things I read that I need more info on:

1.) This is being proposed to be under Title IX. Surely they aren't going to suggest equal money goes to men and women's sports are they? That would be insane. It would simply take money away from men's football and basketball players - particularly if the university has exclusive rights to grant NIL money.

2.) A different article talked about the impact on the # of scholarships this new "division" would create. It didn't say whether it meant more or less scholarships. I want to see the detail on this.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

SaggyBallZ wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:53 am I'm not sure why a new subdivision would need to be made. We already kind of have that with conferences. We know the B1G, SEC and ACC (no longer really the Big XII or PAC) play under different circumstances when it comes to the availability of NIL money for their athletes. It's happening now.

I don't mind the schools getting involved more, but I wouldn't want them to get EXCLUSIVE rights to handle NIL money for athletes. It would be a move backwards IMO by giving the schools more control at the expense of the athletes.

1.) This is being proposed to be under Title IX. Surely they aren't going to suggest equal money goes to men and women's sports are they? That would be insane. It would simply take money away from men's football and basketball players - particularly if the university has exclusive rights to grant NIL money.

2.) A different article talked about the impact on the # of scholarships this new "division" would create. It didn't say whether it meant more or less scholarships. I want to see the detail on this.
Fixed. The Powers That Be have shown us it's really only 2 conferences they care about. B1G and SEC.
Don't tread on me
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

I accept that as a friendly amendment

:)
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:20 am
SaggyBallZ wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:53 am I'm not sure why a new subdivision would need to be made. We already kind of have that with conferences. We know the B1G, SEC and ACC (no longer really the Big XII or PAC) play under different circumstances when it comes to the availability of NIL money for their athletes. It's happening now.

Fixed. The Powers That Be have shown us it's really only 2 conferences they care about. B1G and SEC.
If that was the case, though, (to play devils advocate), the final 4 would be Bama, Georgia, Michigan and Ohio State…which may in fact be the real “best 4 teams” but that’s a whole other conversation.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Some interesting stuff from Kirk Herbstreit how college football is moving down a dangerous path:

http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/college- ... ntrol.html

Also seems like a lot of coaches want out of the NCAA because of all the new changes. Saban retired, Harbaugh left, Chip Kelly is desperate to take a coordinator job in NFL to get out of UCLA, BC coach left for Coordinator job, and there are others.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’d be getting out too tbh. It’s a total disaster shitshow
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:49 pm Some interesting stuff from Kirk Herbstreit how college football is moving down a dangerous path:

http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/college- ... ntrol.html

Also seems like a lot of coaches want out of the NCAA because of all the new changes. Saban retired, Harbaugh left, Chip Kelly is desperate to take a coordinator job in NFL to get out of UCLA, BC coach left for Coordinator job, and there are others.
The NCAA could have gotten ahead of this years ago before the court cases. This is a hell of their own design.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

No kidding, I lost some interest in college football after Michigan won it all.
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

Phantom wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:16 am No kidding, I lost some interest in college football after Michigan won it all.
believe me, we all did!
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. For some dumb reason, college football thinks they need to overhaul everything when the game was working just fine the way it was. It’s like when Greg Norman built LIV, thinking it would improve the game. Instead it has done nothing but destroy the game of golf.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:55 pm If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. For some dumb reason, college football thinks they need to overhaul everything when the game was working just fine the way it was. It’s like when Greg Norman built LIV, thinking it would improve the game. Instead it has done nothing but destroy the game of golf.
The problem is that is was broke according the on field talent. Once it was clear that the players were going to be paid eventually the NCAA should have done it on their own instead of being forced through the courts. Now it’s out of their hands and it’s a mess. They should have started paying players 15 years ago.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:58 pm
Navybuc wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:55 pm If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. For some dumb reason, college football thinks they need to overhaul everything when the game was working just fine the way it was. It’s like when Greg Norman built LIV, thinking it would improve the game. Instead it has done nothing but destroy the game of golf.
The problem is that is was broke according the on field talent. Once it was clear that the players were going to be paid eventually the NCAA should have done it on their own instead of being forced through the courts. Now it’s out of their hands and it’s a mess. They should have started paying players 15 years ago.
It’s not just the NIL and portal stuff. This conference bullshit has gotten out of hand. You’ve got west coast teams that have to travel to the east coast 4-5 times next year to play. Everything is out of whack. I’m not a fan of expanding to 12 teams, either. I thought 6-8 woulda been perfect.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

This is where it starts.

SEC-Big Ten= AFC-NFC

https://www.abcactionnews.com/big-ten-s ... a-s-future
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Phantom wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:10 pm This is where it starts.

SEC-Big Ten= AFC-NFC

https://www.abcactionnews.com/big-ten-s ... a-s-future
If they agree to revenue share and thus sell their conference as the college AFC-NFC they could make huge bucks. Wouldn't it be crazy if they eventually have the same rules as the NFL like cap spending and such?