Week 14 Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: Week 14 Discussion

Post by Grahamburn »

I'll be watching my DVR'd 2021 NFC Championship Sunday morning. That's for sure. Yes, I still have a DVR. Mostly because all those 2021 playoff games are saved on it!
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:27 pm As far as the Chiefs offsides call, it's really simple. Refs are supposed to, and do, warn offenses and defenses about how and where they line-up so they are in compliance.

If the offense had been warned prior to this penalty being called the Chiefs need to shut up and coach Toney to do better. If not, the refs SHOULD be held accountable but won't of course. But that flag shouldn't have been thrown.

Ask both parties if warnings were issued. Simple.
He did not ask the refs if he's lined up onside

And I'm not sure why a ref would need to babysit the Chiefs receivers to begin with considering how fucking blatant this offsides is:

We're not talking about a pixel or two of his foot being over an imaginary line. We're talking about someone that's lined up on the defensive side of the ball. Also, in the same picture, Jawan Taylor is once again incorrectly lined up and cheating which should've been called for illegal formation to begin with. So the refs ALREADY turned a blind eye to the Chiefs poor alignment but the offsides was far too egregious to ignore.

It's absolutely not the refs job to proactively babysit offensive players.

People are literally wanting the refs to ignore blatant fouls just because it's the Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes playing. It's ridiculous.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:27 pm As far as the Chiefs offsides call, it's really simple. Refs are supposed to, and do, warn offenses and defenses about how and where they line-up so they are in compliance.

If the offense had been warned prior to this penalty being called the Chiefs need to shut up and coach Toney to do better. If not, the refs SHOULD be held accountable but won't of course. But that flag shouldn't have been thrown.

When they are close, it's usually not called. When the ref can't see the ball because the player is blocking his view, it should be.

I can't believe the player was looking at the ball and still lined up the much offsides.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:43 pm

And I'm not sure why a ref would need to babysit the Chiefs receivers to begin with considering how fucking blatant this offsides is:

We're not talking about a pixel or two of his foot being over an imaginary line. We're talking about someone that's lined up on the defensive side of the ball. Also, in the same picture, Jawan Taylor is once again incorrectly lined up and cheating which should've been called for illegal formation to begin with. So the refs ALREADY turned a blind eye to the Chiefs poor alignment but the offsides was far too egregious to ignore.

People are literally wanting the refs to ignore blatant fouls just because it's the Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes playing. It's ridiculous.
It’s not about babysitting. It’s about the precedent.

The point Florio is making here is a strawman to the issue at hand. Multiple former NFL players have said that refs generally advise offenses if they are lining up incorrectly. Like @Selmon Rules states, it’s an issue of line of sight.

It really is simple and it’s why the league is investigating. Just ask the parties if the offense had been warned.

That you, @Digital_Damage and @Jonny are the 3 who are taking this so personally is of no surprise to me or anyone. Youre a troll and You hate Mahomes and the Chiefs for some odd reason, @Digital_Damage is an admitted self hating black man talking about ghetto mindsets or whatever and @Jonny, well rational thoughts were never his thing to begin with.
Most hated man in America.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

It is the players responsibility to make sure they are lined up correctly. I have never heard an official tell a player that are lined up incorrectly in the backfield resulting in illegal formation.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

@Bootz Supposedly, the officials said that they give guidance when a player asks, but in this case, the player did not look at the official and ask. I am not sure what the truth is. I am shocked that professional players need more coddling than high school players though.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:11 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:43 pm

The point Florio is making here is a strawman to the issue at hand. Multiple former NFL players have said that refs generally advise offenses if they are lining up incorrectly. Like @Selmon Rules states, it’s an issue of line of sight.

It really is simple and it’s why the league is investigating. Just ask the parties if the offense had been warned.

That you, @Digital_Damage and @Jonny are the 3 who are taking this so personally is of no surprise to me or anyone. Youre a troll and You hate Mahomes and the Chiefs for some odd reason, @Digital_Damage is an admitted self hating black man talking about ghetto mindsets or whatever and @Jonny, well rational thoughts were never his thing to begin with.
The only poster who is taking this personally is you. Disagreeing with your take is being irrational? I gave you a stat on how many times offenses were penalized for being off sides this year. Please enlighten me what a rational disagreement to your previous post is supposed to be like.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:16 pm @Bootz Supposedly, the officials said that they give guidance when a player asks, but in this case, the player did not look at the official and ask. I am not sure what the truth is. I am shocked that professional players need more coddling than high school players though.
In that regard then, that's on Toney for not checking.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I guess Ichabod's Monday Analysis: Week 14 is on hold. I bet he's having fun in Vegas
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

I think that people are missing something as well. When a WR is lined up outside it is harder to see exactly where the ball is in relation to their feet. Especially if the ball is on the hash mark closer to the opposite sideline. They have a line judge or down judge really close to them to check with. Toney is about a yard away from the hash. He has a long way to go to check with the judges on the sideline. He is closer to the ball than he is to the judges on the sideline.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I played WR in high school. My coach always told me when you line up, check with the official to make sure you’re on the line. It became like second nature to me. I always thought it was such a basic concept that all WRs do this, especially in critical moments. I guess not. However, if it’s true that the officials have let it slide over the years and not called it, then that needs to be addressed as well.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s not profound for me to say officiating needs to be cleaned up. But it does.

I probably see 5-10 blatant false starts every game that are not called. I’m sure there’s a handful of offsides as well. Refusing to call the crazy number of holds is well established phenomenon.

And I know the typical rebuttal is something like “the players can’t play the game if the officials actually enforce the game to the written down laws.”

If that’s correct, then change the rules. It’s one thing for the rules to have a degree of subjectivity. I think everyone understands that part of it. The seemingly random picking and choosing of rule enforcement in cases of blatant rule breaking is what gets me.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:24 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:11 pm

The only poster who is taking this personally is you. Disagreeing with your take is being irrational? I gave you a stat on how many times offenses were penalized for being off sides this year. Please enlighten me what a rational disagreement to your previous post is supposed to be like.

Context. You’re either purposely or ignorantly not providing context. 8 of those 11 were on Olinemen on “tush push” plays because of how the formation lines up. Prior to yesterday it had only been called on WRs twice all season. No one is arguing that it wasn’t offsides. But answer me this: Do you really believe that WRs have lined up offsides just 3 times all season long?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:55 pm
Jonny wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:24 pm

Context. You’re either purposely or ignorantly not providing context. 8 of those 11 were on Olinemen on “tush push” plays because of how the formation lines up. Prior to yesterday it had only been called on WRs twice all season. No one is arguing that it wasn’t offsides. But answer me this: Do you really believe that WRs have lined up offsides just 3 times all season long?
Your context doesn't contradict my point in the slightest. Offense is no longer immune from not committing that penalty and that is my main point. Yes, I believe there have not been many occasions of WRs lining up offsides. I don't know if there have only been 3 occasions , but it sure as hell is a rare thing. Just like how it is not at all common to see DBs line up in neutral zone unless they are close to the D-line showing a blitz, not when they are opposite the receiver they are supposed to cover.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

We all know who's going to win tonight's game, right
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If we beat the Packers next week, this team will be good enough to win the division.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:31 pm I played WR in high school. My coach always told me when you line up, check with the official to make sure you’re on the line. It became like second nature to me. I always thought it was such a basic concept that all WRs do this, especially in critical moments. I guess not. However, if it’s true that the officials have let it slide over the years and not called it, then that needs to be addressed as well.
Checking with the official to make sure you're lined up correctly is literally Wide Receiving 101.

Toney must've slept through the class.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Cheb wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:34 pm
Navybuc wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:31 pm I played WR in high school. My coach always told me when you line up, check with the official to make sure you’re on the line. It became like second nature to me. I always thought it was such a basic concept that all WRs do this, especially in critical moments. I guess not. However, if it’s true that the officials have let it slide over the years and not called it, then that needs to be addressed as well.
Checking with the official to make sure you're lined up correctly is literally Wide Receiving 101.

Toney must've slept through the class.
Especially in such a big moment in the game. In a way, though, it’s a good thing for football because this should wake WRs up that they need to start doing this more regularly, because from the sound of it, Toney isn’t alone in skipping this step.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Mike McDaniel is rocking shoes with his daughter on them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:58 pm We all know who's going to win tonight's game, right
Which game?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:18 pm
Phantom wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:58 pm We all know who's going to win tonight's game, right
Which game?
Miami/Titans
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:18 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:18 pm

Which game?
Miami/Titans
I expect Dolphins to win by 3 scores.

Waddle down now. That's 3 straight plays a Dolphin has been injured. Howard on that 3rd down defensive play, Mostert on 1st down, now Waddle.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

3rd straight game Miami's defense has a pick 6.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Watching this Packers vs Giants game. These Packer don't scare me.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

SMB just injured Cheetah with a horse collar.

Edit: Nevermind lmao
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:46 pm Watching this Packers vs Giants game. These Packer don't scare me.
A 6-6 team shouldn't scare anybody.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:52 pm
Cheb wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:46 pm Watching this Packers vs Giants game. These Packer don't scare me.
Agreed, but there have been some folks round here being very negative about our chances against them.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:54 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:52 pm

Agreed, but there have been some folks round here being very negative about our chances against them.
I like our chances against every team remaining on our schedule.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Levis has such a good arm
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Levis needs to learn to protect himself though
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Titans need to thank Bradley Chubb for being a dumbass
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Damn, Cheetah is injured.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

I can’t decide if GB winning or losing is best for us next week. I can make the argument for either :(
I said what I said

BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:13 pm Damn, Cheetah is injured.
I'm not watching the game... How bad did the injury look? What happened?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:41 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:13 pm Damn, Cheetah is injured.
I'm not watching the game... How bad did the injury look? What happened?
Horsecollar by SMB. It's his ankle.