I want JJ McCarthy

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BuccaNOLEer

I want JJ McCarthy

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

I watched JJ McCarthy against Ohio State. His throws were unreal in that game. He's got an uncanny ability to step up in the pocket and can scramble out of it when he needs to.

It looks like we're gonna get a top ten pick, fellas. I'd take him over Williams, Maye, Penix, or anyone else.
Grahamburn

Re: I want JJ McCarthy

Post by Grahamburn »

Does their defense and running game come with him?
Snake

Post by Snake »

He did make some high difficulty throws. Tight windows, with anticipation, under duress. To the middle of the field.

Worth taking a deep dive.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Let's observe how good JJ McCarthy performs against the Iowa defense.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Phantom wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:29 pm Let's observe how good JJ McCarthy performs against the Iowa defense.
Who has Iowa played this year? The only decent team I can see is Penn State who lit them up for 31 points. There offense isn't all that, so as soon as Michigan gets an early lead, that defense is going to get gassed and get run over.
MJW

Post by MJW »

JJ McCarthy is far and away the #3 QB in this class for me. He's his own tier, honestly. The important parts of the game for me - poise, accuracy, pocket awareness, game awareness, and enough arm strength. Please do not take this beyond the words I am typing, but the way he approaches the position reminds me a bunch of another QB while he was at Michigan.

(Yes, I know you can find clips of him NOT demonstrating these traits. You can do this for anyone about anything. I don't care.)
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:29 pm JJ McCarthy is far and away the #3 QB in this class for me. He's his own tier, honestly. The important parts of the game for me - poise, accuracy, pocket awareness, game awareness, and enough arm strength. Please do not take this beyond the words I am typing, but the way he approaches the position reminds me a bunch of another QB while he was at Michigan.

(Yes, I know you can find clips of him NOT demonstrating these traits. You can do this for anyone about anything. I don't care.)
I agree..he's the next Brian Griese.

Oh...and you know what'd be great?!?!?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I've watched every snap of JJ's college career. He has alot of good traits. Accurate, mobile, a live arm, good feet, makes good decisions, doesn't turn over the ball, wins a ton of games, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders combined with a love of the game.

That said, he has always been on dominant teams, with not only one of the best running games in college football but one of the best defenses as well. Because of that, he hasn't had to be The Guy, and that makes me pause a little bit. Sure, all those positive from before... but he only has two 300-yard games in his career.

I would be just fine with drafting JJ McCarthy in the first round, and my Michigan homerism combined with my Bucs fandom would make me goddamn giddy about it to be honest. But I won't pretend that a secret part of me wouldn't be somewhat nervous about it.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Stetson Bennett-ish
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:33 pm Stetson Bennett-ish
A few inches can make a world of difference…
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:42 pm
A few inches can make a world of difference…
Thats what she said
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

He goes and beats a couple of the big boy teams in a few weeks that can score on offense and stop or at least slow down that Michigan running game and I'll be more intrigued. Looking at you, Georgia. As it is he looks game-manager-ish to me, and I've watched the Wolverines several times in the last few weeks without any inherent bias. 16 of 20 for under 150 yards against Ohio State doesn't blow my dress up that much.

I have also heard multiple times during those broadcasts the he DOES run a 4.4. True?
MJW

Post by MJW »

In the same sense they're both quarterbacks of good teams. McCarthy game manages because that's what he's asked to do. Bennett did it because it was all he could do.

But I'm happy to roll with the idea that we'll see what he does in the CFP.

BTW, the biggest games he'll ever play are against Ohio State. In his two starts, he went 28-44 for 411 yards (with 44 Rush Yards), 5 Total TDs, 0 INTs. How hard should he be penalized that they went 2-0 without him needing to throw 50 times a game?
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:21 pm
In the same sense they're both quarterbacks of good teams. McCarthy game manages because that's what he's asked to do. Bennett did it because it was all he could do.

BTW, the biggest games he'll ever play are against Ohio State. In his two starts, he went 28-44 for 411 yards (with 44 Rush Yards), 5 Total TDs, 0 INTs. How hard should he be penalized that they went 2-0 without him needing to throw 50 times a game?
Doesn't mean he can or can't. He just hasn't had to. If I'm the coach though and I knew he could I'd cut him loose. Why keep a game close if your QB can blow someone out?
Snake

Post by Snake »

McCarthy is pretty mobile. Mobile enough for the modern NFL. he has the requisite pocket awareness and accuracy.

The only question is pure arm talent. And I’ll admit I’ve not watched enough games to see that demonstrated.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:34 pm
MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:21 pm

Doesn't mean he can or can't. He just hasn't had to. If I'm the coach though and I knew he could I'd cut him loose. Why keep a game close if your QB can blow someone out?
He's done that too. And most of these games aren't close. The average score of Michigan games this season is 38-10. What would be the upside of messing with that? Getting him Heisman votes?

The question is what he shows with the opportunities he gets. I've already mentioned what I've seen - tight-window accuracy, arm strength to all areas of the field, good decision making, pocket presence, etc. And yeah, he can scoot too.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Watch the Ohio State/Michigan game from this past weekend. On one side of the field, you have a game manager. On the other side, not so much.

The game manager was throwing to quite literally three first round pick wide receivers, including one who will go in the top five.

McCarthy is not throwing to slouches himself, but the throws he was making to his guys were pretty different. Tight windows, anticipatory.

As a buckeye fan/alum, I resigned myself to the fact that they could not stop this guy. Back breaking throw after back breaking throw.

Yes, it’s easier with a great offensive line and a good run game, but remember we’re looking for traits more than anything else. And he has some great traits.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:11 pm Watch the Ohio State/Michigan game from this past weekend. On one side of the field, you have a game manager. On the other side, not so much.

The game manager was throwing to quite literally three first round pick wide receivers, including one who will go in the top five.

McCarthy is not throwing to slouches himself, but the throws he was making to his guys were pretty different. Tight windows, anticipatory.

As a buckeye fan/alum, I resigned myself to the fact that they could not stop this guy. Back breaking throw after back breaking throw.

Yes, it’s easier with a great offensive line and a good run game, but remember we’re looking for traits more than anything else. And he has some great traits.
This, exactly. All we can do with any prospect is extrapolate based on what a guy does. What does McCarthy do? Throw accurate passes all over the field, into tight windows, even under pressure. Maybe he doesn't have to do it as often in the gameplan as some guys on inferior teams. Anyone who passes on him for that reason deserves what they get.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:11 pm I watched JJ McCarthy against Ohio State. His throws were unreal in that game. He's got an uncanny ability to step up in the pocket and can scramble out of it when he needs to.

It looks like we're gonna get a top ten pick, fellas. I'd take him over Williams, Maye, Penix, or anyone else.
Now there's an endorsement.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:00 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:11 pm I watched JJ McCarthy against Ohio State. His throws were unreal in that game. He's got an uncanny ability to step up in the pocket and can scramble out of it when he needs to.

A knee-jerk endorsement.
Most hated man in America.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:14 am
Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:00 pm

A knee-jerk endorsement.
Only because you don't like it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:02 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:14 am

A knee-jerk endorsement.
I think McCarthy is a good prospect, don't get me wrong. But that's like saying you'd take Justin Herbert over Patrick Mahomes. You simply wouldn't do it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I get it.

When you like your guy you like your guy. You see something. Especially with QBs. The experts have been so laughably wrong on QBs for so long. You can only get so much from an interview to really know the man behind the talent.

And here's the thing, there's no one holy QB mold and in the right system in the right year you can win with most of them. You have game managers, front runners, comeback kids, gun slingers, vocal leaders, quiet leaders, statues, runners, etc.

From what I've seen, yeah, I'm in. Give me some JJ McCarthy. Bring back Evans. Sign a discarded RB like Henry for cheaper than you'd think. The OL has a year together.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:08 pm
13F11B wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:02 pm

I think McCarthy is a good prospect, don't get me wrong. But that's like saying you'd take Justin Herbert over Patrick Mahomes. You simply wouldn't do it.
Now? No.

When they both came out of college? Maybe.

That is the problem with all the guys coming out of college. They may or may not translate to the NFL.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:24 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:08 pm

Now? No.

That is the problem with all the guys coming out of college. They may or may not translate to the NFL.
Exactly my point. And coming out of college there's no one who would seriously take McCarthy over the others. Especially Maye or Williams.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Too early to say on these guys. That’s what combines, interviews, deeper scouting, and pro days are for. Even then, it’s about the right system and coaching, too. If Brock Purdy is drafted by any team other than SF (or maybe Philly), that dude is on a practice squad right now.

Personally I like McCarthy and Nix of the guys who could potentially fall in our lap. But it’s too early to say “I want that guy.” If Marvin Harrison or Malik Nabors miraculously falls in our lap, we’d be crazy to pass on them if Evans bolts.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Bootz wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:53 pm
13F11B wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:24 pm

Now? No.

Exactly my point. And coming out of college there's no one who would seriously take McCarthy over the others. Especially Maye or Williams.
The right coach might. You never know. Mahomes didn't go until the 10th pick and he wasn't the first QB off the board. And it took him a year to develop. He didn't show much his first year. Herbert came out of college and showed immediate promise for a rookie QB.

It's all about matching the right QB to the right system. Canales, supposedly is bright enough to tweak his system to accommodate his QB.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:56 pm Too early to say on these guys. That’s what combines, interviews, deeper scouting, and pro days are for. Even then, it’s about the right system and coaching, too. If Brock Purdy is drafted by any team other than SF (or maybe Philly), that dude is on a practice squad right now.

Personally I like McCarthy and Nix of the guys who could potentially fall in our lap. But it’s too early to say “I want that guy.” If Marvin Harrison or Malik Nabors miraculously falls in our lap, we’d be crazy to pass on them if Evans bolts.
Even with Purdy it took multiple injuries for him to get a chance. The 49ers did not start him until after the injuries happened. He may have been relegated to being a backup and never got an opportunity to showcase his game day skills if it had not been for that. (see Brady too). That is why many of us want to see Trask get actual game day experience.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Some people gonna be big mad when Trask stars 4-1 keeping JJ McCarthy on the bench
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Can JJ McCarthy be had in the second round? I understand a lot can change between now and the draft, but until this thread got started I didn't even know that this kid was considered to be a good QB.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Maybe. You never know with QB. Levis to Colts would've surprised no one.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:55 am Some people gonna be big mad when Trask stars 4-1 keeping JJ McCarthy on the bench
Which is why if you want to see if Trask actually belongs in the NFL, you give him the starting job for the rest of the season. That will tell you if you need to go QB in round one or somewhere else
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Not really.

Idealist will hate this but there really isn't going to be much Trask can do to stop is from drafting a QB early if we like the options there. Just from a position of hedging your bets on the most important position.

His real chance will come when he gets the nod over the rookie week 1 next year.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:35 am
He didn't show much his first year.
How?

Many, including Kelce, said he was the best QB on the roster the day he stepped on the training field. Reid was adamant about developing him. His first year playing he threw 50 TDs.

The rest of the post I agree with.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

meh