2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Navybuc

Re: 2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:22 am
Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:21 am

Prior to 2000, it was a totally different generation. Black coaches were rare in any sport, even the NBA. Times have changed. Numbers may not be 50/50 or 100/0 (in favor of blacks) like you want it to be since then, but it's not 0/100, either. They've gotten more consideration and interviews over time.

Again, the difference between you and me is you want to make everything about race. You want to cry prejudice and unfairness and numbers and all that garbage. You want more black head coaches just so it makes the numbers look better. You would rather hire Raheem Morris over Jim Harbaugh because of the color of his skin, not the quality of his coaching. I'm sorry, but I'm the other guy. I want the best coach, regardless of color. Give me Tony Dungy over almost any coach in the league, black or white. And give me Pete Carroll over the current trainwreck we have in there now.
"Times have changed". So NOW teams hire based off of merit and not race like they use to prior to 2000, right?
I don’t want to linger the issue. I’ll just say before 2000, there wasn’t a large pool of black coaches to choose from. In 2009, there wasn’t even a large pool to choose from. Now it’s growing. But then again, you shouldn’t just hire a black coach just to make the numbers better like you want to. You should choose them because they’re the best fit and best choice. That’s the last I’m going to say on this issue. Just be fair in your decision. Period.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:48 pm

"Times have changed". So NOW teams hire based off of merit and not race like they use to prior to 2000, right?
I don’t want to linger the issue. I’ll just say before 2000, there wasn’t a large pool of black coaches to choose from. In 2009, there wasn’t even a large pool to choose from. Now it’s growing. But then again, you shouldn’t just hire a black coach just to make the numbers better like you want to. You should choose them because they’re the best fit and best choice. That’s the last I’m going to say on this issue. Just be fair in your decision. Period.
Having an expectation for how it should be and opening your eyes to how it has been and how it is are 2 different things.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. How you think it should be isn't how it has been. Which is why rules were put in place. At the same time you don't acknowledge that there was, and to a large degree, still is a problem is how coaching hires are carried out.
Most hated man in America.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:21 am

Prior to 2000, it was a totally different generation. Black coaches were rare in any sport, even the NBA. Times have changed. Numbers may not be 50/50 or 100/0 (in favor of blacks) like you want it to be since then, but it's not 0/100, either. They've gotten more consideration and interviews over time.

Again, the difference between you and me is you want to make everything about race. You want to cry prejudice and unfairness and numbers and all that garbage. You want more black head coaches just so it makes the numbers look better. You would rather hire Raheem Morris over Jim Harbaugh because of the color of his skin, not the quality of his coaching. I'm sorry, but I'm the other guy. I want the best coach, regardless of color. Give me Tony Dungy over almost any coach in the league, black or white. And give me Pete Carroll over the current trainwreck we have in there now.
It may have been likely the case that many excellent black coaches were overlooked back in the day because of their race. It is possible it is still happening now, though I believe it is less likely. It is an unfair world. No one knows what the true intentions of the owners and executives when it comes to hiring practices. But to state the race discrepancy has only to do or quite a bit to do with racism is self righteous. It encourages victimhood narrative that is still quite prevalent in minority communities. It removes locus of control from the individual.

Everyone has had to put up with discrimination. Every single one of us. It is a choice how much I am going to complain about it. It is my choice how far I am willing to remove my agency within any situation. It is also a choice if I derive my identity by being a victim. Morally I do not and should not have the ability to dictate how others are supposed to treat me if they are not initiating violence on me and if they are not stealing my property. There is simply no upside to living my life that way. I would like to know if you think there is.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:36 pm
That shows either dudes don't know how to coach, or organizations can't identify in the interview process who can be good leaders of men, when the fourth most tenured coach has only been on the job for seven seasons.
MRM

Post by MRM »

I believe it was earlier in this thread I said 8-10 coaches would get fired. We're up to 8. I can see another one getting canned following a Wild Card loss this weekend.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:09 am How many women have deserved to be head coach?

How many women have deserved to play in the NFL?

How many brilliant high school coaches that never got a look from any college deserve to be head coach in the NFL but were “unfairly” kept out?

The argument doesn’t work
Name all the women who was on college program that wasn't a kicker? I won't hold my breath
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:35 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:36 pm
That shows either dudes don't know how to coach, or organizations can't identify in the interview process who can be good leaders of men, when the fourth most tenured coach has only been on the job for seven seasons.
There's a level of impatience that organizations have adopted. I believe it's a direct result of the amount money that its costing to field a team since the 2011 CBA. They expect results yesterday.

The league did inform teams that they are spending a ton on fired coaches and staff so the past 2 offseasons we've seen fewer direct firings. But your point stands. The numbers are astounding.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:54 am There are differences between people. Anthropometry, genetics, experiences, culture. Some things make people better suited for certain professions.

It doesn’t mean you exclude anybody on the *basis* of race. It may mean that certain people who happen to be members of certain races possess characteristics that check certain boxes at a higher frequency.

How many white cornerbacks since Jason Sehorn? Do we really need to talk about why that’s the case, or is it self evident? I’ve seen hundreds of white cornerbacks play high school football. And I’m sure there’s thousands and thousands of them who do. Why aren’t they playing cornerback in the NFL? Why is it 99.9% black?
@Bootz You are right, he is a racist pos. The last time I heard that was in the 1990s.

"Blacks can't strategize and lead men like white people can because genetics that's why they can be position coaches but not head coaches." Because that is your argument for blacks not being suitable to be head coach. Have a politician say that and their career is over
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:03 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:02 pm

The answer is because whitey isn't selecting more in the draft. Or do you have another answer?
Yeah, why is Whitey selecting 99.99% blacks at the cornerback position?

Is it because he’s a racist?
You are arguing blacks are more athletic but too dumb to be head coach. You realize that?
Snake

Post by Snake »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:01 pm

You are arguing blacks are more athletic but too dumb to be head coach. You realize that?
Why are blacks 99.99% of NFL corners?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:01 pm

He's too much of a coward to say what he really wants to
Snake

Post by Snake »

No, I’m just walking you down a logical path that you’re the one establishing.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:25 pm No, I’m just walking you down a logical path that you’re the one establishing.
And ignoring the stops along the way because you're too afraid to.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:27 pm
Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:25 pm No, I’m just walking you down a logical path that you’re the one establishing.
Stops like, why are 99.99% of NFL cornerbacks black? Something you haven’t tried to answer beyond “maybe white people don’t wanna be cornerbacks.”
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:33 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:27 pm

Stops like, why are 99.99% of NFL cornerbacks black? Something you haven’t tried to answer beyond “maybe white people don’t wanna be cornerbacks.”
Or how about stops that deal with the original and ACTUAL issue at hand, instead of a strawman you're trying to use to deflect from tackling that topic. That's what makes you a chickenshit cowardly racist piece of shit. If you actually balls you'd tackle the main issue before trying to move on.
Snake

Post by Snake »

What’s the main issue? The fact that minorities/vulnerable groups such as Asians and women tremendously underrepresented as NFL head coaches.

We agree.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Like I said, chickenshit. I could be wrong and you could just be stupid.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:38 pm Like I said, chickenshit. I could be wrong and you could just be stupid.
Coming from the guy asking for people’s addresses pretending like he’s going to go do something violent. LOL!!!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:39 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:38 pm Like I said, chickenshit. I could be wrong and you could just be stupid.
Coming from the guy asking for people’s addresses pretending like he’s going to go do something violent. LOL!!!
More deflecting....Typical.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:40 pm
Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:39 pm

Coward: guy who welches on a lifetime IP ban after two weeks.

LOL!!!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:40 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:40 pm

Coward: guy who welches on a lifetime IP ban after two weeks.

LOL!!!
Keep proving my point about how big of a bitch you are by throwing strawman after strawman. Everybody already knows you're a fucking embarrassment, a piece of shit liar, racist and definitely a sociopath. At least you admit you're a liar and a real embarrassment. Now we know you're a coward who can't even stand on your own racist beliefs.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Triggered.

So in summation:

The NFL at all levels is rife with discrepancies in “representation” when compared to the general population.

The answer why there aren’t more blacks in head coaching and executive positions is institutional/systematic racism.

The reason that blacks are overrepresented in other damn near every other position is…..unclear. But apparently white people don’t like to play cornerback so that’s why 99.99% of cornerbacks are black.

Western civilization is a mistake. White people are the devil because of the sins of their past. But no other group has to worry about their own…because they aren’t white.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:00 pm Triggered.

So in summation:

The NFL at all levels is rife with discrepancies in “representation” when compared to the general population.

The answer why there aren’t more blacks in head coaching and executive positions is institutional/systematic racism.

The reason that blacks are overrepresented in other damn near every other position is…..unclear.

Western civilization is a mistake. White people are the devil because of the sins of their past. But no other group has to worry about their own…because they aren’t white.
Triggered? My a lying cowardly sociopathic racist mouth breathing cum stain like you? Not a chance.

This summation was derived from an admitted liar so it falls on deaf ears and absolutely no fucks given.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Some radio chatter so take it with a grain of salt but some “in the know” believe that Pete Carroll could become a prime candidate for HC if the Bucs put a poor performance on MNF and fire Bowles. This would allow the Bucs to keep Canales as OC given the close relationship of Carroll and Canales.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:15 pm Some radio chatter so take it with a grain of salt but some “in the know” believe that Pete Carroll could become a prime candidate for HC if the Bucs put a poor performance on MNF and fire Bowles. This would allow the Bucs to keep Canales as OC given the close relationship of Carroll and Canales.
Another defensive coach. If Canales is really bound to go somewhere else, I’d rather not be stuck with a defensive coach and Baker Mayfield after next season.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:15 pm Some radio chatter so take it with a grain of salt but some “in the know” believe that Pete Carroll could become a prime candidate for HC if the Bucs put a poor performance on MNF and fire Bowles. This would allow the Bucs to keep Canales as OC given the close relationship of Carroll and Canales.
Fuck. I don't hate this.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

So in summation:

The reason that blacks are overrepresented in other damn near every other position is…..unclear. But apparently white people don’t like to play cornerback so that’s why 99.99% of cornerbacks are black.

Your post falls apart by the second sentence.

The NFL is rife with discrepancies of in representation when compared to itself the demographics of its own players and participants. And that's an important distinction.

Let's talk about this another way. Imagine that the overwhelming majority of soccer players in the Premier League, the best soccer league in the world, had brown hair. And these brown haired soccer players were a consistent majority in the league, damn near 70%, and maintained their brown-haired majority for decades. One would imagine that over time, as those elite brunettes got older, that some of them at least would go into coaching, continuing to be around the game they love, and one would see a decent number of former players with brown hair in coaching roles. Hell, one would think that the majority of high level coaches would have brown hair.
But then you look at the head coaches in the Premier League, and see that only 9% of them have brown hair, even though the majority of players also have brown hair. Would that seem weird to you, because it would be weird to me, and I'd have all kinds of questions as to why that's the case.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:13 pm

So in summation:

The NFL is rife with discrepancies of in representation when compared to itself the demographics of its own players and participants. And that's an important distinction.

Let's talk about this another way. Imagine that the overwhelming majority of soccer players in the Premier League, the best soccer league in the world, had brown hair. And these brown haired soccer players were a consistent majority in the league, damn near 70%, and maintained their brown-haired majority for decades. One would imagine that over time, as those elite brunettes got older, that some of them at least would go into coaching, continuing to be around the game they love, and one would see a decent number of former players with brown hair in coaching roles. Hell, one would think that the majority of high level coaches would have brown hair.
But then you look at the head coaches in the Premier League, and see that only 9% of them have brown hair, even though the majority of players also have brown hair. Would that seem weird to you, because it would be weird to me, and I'd have all kinds of questions as to why that's the case.
99.99% of cornerbacks are black. What, 98% of running backs are black? A whole lot of white people play and coach football and “run it.”

There are representation problems everywhere in the NFL.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:00 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:13 pm

99.99% of cornerbacks are black. What, 98% of running backs are black? A whole lot of white people play and coach football and “run it.”

There are representation problems everywhere in the NFL.
I'm not talking about racial makeups of different positions. Different people have different skillsets, that's both obvious and ultimately uninteresting. I'm talking specifically about a league made up mostly of black men being coached overwhelmingly by white men, which is weird to say the least and one should ask why that is. Changing the subject is a weak dodge at best.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Different people have different skill sets. What does that mean? In this context.

As for leadership, aren’t like 10 of the owners Jewish? Isn’t that weird? 10 Jewish owners, mostly employing white executives, who mostly employ white coaches, and black players.

How many black owners are in the NFL?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:18 pm Different people have different skill sets. What does that mean? In this context.
I'm bored, so I'll bite.

Some folks are big, some are small, some are fast, some are slow, some gravitate towards certain positions due to role models at those positions or due to how they were coached, what slots they were pigeonholed into as young players.

There's no law written that says white people can't play cornerback. Christian McCaffrey certainly has the athleticism to excel at the position, as do many NFL receivers like Cooper Kupp, Adam Thielin, Hunter Renfrow, Braxton Berrios, Justin Watson, Scotty Miller, Alec Pierce, and so on. The best corner in the upcoming draft may just be Cooper DeJean, who is white. I leave the borderline eugenics stuff at the door.

I would argue that there's a cultural bias with white guys playing corner. When a coach sees a fast young white guy on his team, he sees the next Wes Welker, he sees the next Cooper Kupp, he sees the next CMC. That young player goes to those positions, and here we are.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Cultural bias accounts for there being a single white cornerback in the NFL? When the sport is defined by production by any means necessary, and winning. From high school on up.

Liberals have no interest in having an honest conversation about anything, especially their favorite topic, race. Wield it like a weapon when it’s convenient, celebrate it when is acceptable, but never ever explore the practical implications of the idea of “race” unless it’s pointing out how it’s used by white people to identify target and subjugate minorities.

So I’ll bid you adieu too.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I love black people, by the way. I have a shrine dedicated to Rondé Barber.
Snake

Post by Snake »

As for the lack of black coaches:

No doubt there was explicit racial bias outright excluding POC coaches for a long time. Hasn’t been the case in 25 years probably. Even the dumb teams are too smart to consciously exclude a fantastic candidate because of the color of his skin. Subconsciously that’s another matter. We know that implicit bias exists. The Rooney Rule was an attempt to overcome that sort of thing. Many teams are also opting to hire a consulting firm to whittle down lists, offer new candidates, and vet potential hires. Those services aren’t perfect, but they are paid a ton of money to presumably not get caught up on race.

A lot of it comes down to communication style, reported experience, and the ability to function as a CEO type in a business type environment. Talking to the media one minute, working with the analytics team the next minute, and figuring out how you’re gonna spend the last three hours of your evening preparing for your opponent when you’re missing multiple players, and your star running back just got arrested. A lot of team admins believe that a certain archetype is what best thrives in that type of head coaching position. Is that archetypally a white man? For some I’m sure. Maybe they watched Any Given Sunday too many times (one is too many). Maybe it’s how guys communicate in the room. Presumably there’s cultural issues at play here. One would imagine that a candidate needs to both impress the decision-makers (old white/jewish rich blue blood people), and either have a history of - or convey the ability to - ignite a locker room. In addition to the X’s and O’s. It’s narrowcasting for a very specific skill set and experience, that that needs to be cultivated immediately after ceasing pro college, college, or high school football. If there are barriers to reaching NFL head coach status. I’m guessing many of those barriers exist socioeconomically. Do historically lesser making minorities have the resources or familial support to go work as a grad assistant at Bowling Green for $10 an hour? This is how careers start in this field. You play college football, you graduate/whatever, then you get hired as a GA somewhere and your life is hell for the next 5-10 years probably. Those checks for Ramen noodles that mom sent kept you alive.

But you have to factor in candidate quality too. Bieniemy has an awful history. He might be a good play collar, but from everything I’ve read… he’s abrasive, combative, and there’s the whole sexual assault history. He’s going to be a candidate until some team pulls be trigger.

Leslie Frazier, for the lack of a better term, has become the token Rooney rule interview. As far as I can gather, he’s been out of football since 2022. Where are the up-and-coming minds?

I think if you’re going to complain about this being unjust, it needs to be applied globally. We know Indian and Asian kids play football. Why aren’t they represented in the sport at expected rates? Women?
Last edited by Snake on Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.