2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Sdbucs

Re: 2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

Post by Sdbucs »

What an insane week for coaching vacancies

Go get someone good Chargers
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:28 am
Moozician wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:59 pm Hispanic, Latino Latinx, whatever the going description is... Are fixing to become the minority race in the US within the next few years (I think)... Yet, no discussion on them.

I Ron Rivera will always have a job somewhere?
Last I checked, there aren't many Hispanic folks at the top level of football as players, so the fact there aren't many who get into coaching at that same high level makes sense. A quick googling confirms that less than 1% of NFL players identify as Latino, and less than 4% of college football players.

It's an apples to oranges comparison.

To be clear, I don't think that anyone should be hired or fired to a coaching gig, or any other type of gig for that matter, because of their racial identity, same for gender or religious beliefs or sexual orientation or any other demographic that you can find on a dating profile.

What DOES bother me is the disconnect between players of color and coaches of color in top jobs. There's a relatively large number of black assistant coaches in the NFL, around 35-40% of assistant coaches per the National Law Review. But when you look at coordinators and head coaches, the numbers look less than stellar. Better for defensive coordinators, but offense and head coaches look a little sparse. I'll share my research so y'all don't have to look stuff up:

There are only four offensive coordinators who are black -- Eddie Faulkner of the Steelers, Brian Johnson of the Eagles, Eric Bienemy of the Commanders, Thomas Brown of the Panthers.

There are only three head coaches who are black -- Todd Bowles, Mike Tomlin, and DeMeco Ryan.

To be fair, there's a far better proportion of black defensive coordinators in the NFL, 13 out of 32 jobs -- Teryl Austin of the Steelers, Vance Joseph of the Broncos, Patrick Graham of the Raiders, Derrick Ansley of the Chargers, Sean Desai of the Eagles, Aaron Glenn of the Lions, Brian Flores of the Vikings, Ejiro of the Panthers, Joe Woods of the Saints, both Kacy Rodgers and Larry Foote of the Bucs, Raheem Morris of the Rams, Steve Wilks of the 49ers, and Clint Hurtt of the Seahawks.
Well reasoned and therefore your points will be ignored lol
Snake

Post by Snake »

Why is this the case?

“there aren't many Hispanic folks at the top level of football as players“

And why are there so many black players at the top level?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:26 am
Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:28 am

Last I checked, there aren't many Hispanic folks at the top level of football as players, so the fact there aren't many who get into coaching at that same high level makes sense. A quick googling confirms that less than 1% of NFL players identify as Latino, and less than 4% of college football players.

It's an apples to oranges comparison.

To be clear, I don't think that anyone should be hired or fired to a coaching gig, or any other type of gig for that matter, because of their racial identity, same for gender or religious beliefs or sexual orientation or any other demographic that you can find on a dating profile.

What DOES bother me is the disconnect between players of color and coaches of color in top jobs. There's a relatively large number of black assistant coaches in the NFL, around 35-40% of assistant coaches per the National Law Review. But when you look at coordinators and head coaches, the numbers look less than stellar. Better for defensive coordinators, but offense and head coaches look a little sparse. I'll share my research so y'all don't have to look stuff up:

There are only four offensive coordinators who are black -- Eddie Faulkner of the Steelers, Brian Johnson of the Eagles, Eric Bienemy of the Commanders, Thomas Brown of the Panthers.

There are only three head coaches who are black -- Todd Bowles, Mike Tomlin, and DeMeco Ryan.

To be fair, there's a far better proportion of black defensive coordinators in the NFL, 13 out of 32 jobs -- Teryl Austin of the Steelers, Vance Joseph of the Broncos, Patrick Graham of the Raiders, Derrick Ansley of the Chargers, Sean Desai of the Eagles, Aaron Glenn of the Lions, Brian Flores of the Vikings, Ejiro of the Panthers, Joe Woods of the Saints, both Kacy Rodgers and Larry Foote of the Bucs, Raheem Morris of the Rams, Steve Wilks of the 49ers, and Clint Hurtt of the Seahawks.
Well reasoned and therefore your points will be ignored lol
Like Cheb said 35-40% of assistant coaches are black yet the HC position is supposed to only represent the nationwide population of about 12%...Make it make sense.
Most hated man in America.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:23 am
Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:21 am Western civilization was clearly a mistake, right? As we sit in comfort and post on the message board from the Internet.

Damn White People!!
Yea without colonization, genocide, kidnapping, enslavement none of this is possible. White man is so great..
I'm grateful for colonization. It allowed for the life I'm currently enjoying to exist in the first place. We're all benefactors from all the buzzwords you use...including YOU btw.

Perhaps count your blessings instead of lamenting over an arbitrary number of black head coaches in the NFL.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:29 am Why is this the case?

You're desperately throwing strawman after strawman. Why? Why don't you want to tackle the real issue people are discussing here? Or have you finally listened to yourself after your "You people should just shut up and be thankful for what the white man gave you" speech and realized you sound ridiculous.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Why are blacks greatly overrepresented as players? Why are blacks underrepresented as coaches?

Explain both
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:32 am
Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:29 am Why is this the case?

You're desperately throwing strawman after strawman. Why? Why don't you want to tackle the real issue people are discussing here? Or have you finally listened to yourself after your "You people should just shut up and be thankful for what the white man gave you" speech and realized you sound ridiculous.
You’re the guy talking about the evilness of Whitey. meanwhile, you posted 200,000 times on Buccaneers message boards over the last 10 years and live the life of relative comfort and luxury. Your libtard talking points have no effect.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:31 am

Yea without colonization, genocide, kidnapping, enslavement none of this is possible. White man is so great..
I'm grateful for colonization. It allowed for the life I'm currently enjoying to exist in the first place. We're all benefactors from all the buzzwords you use...including YOU btw.

Perhaps count your blessings instead of lamenting over an arbitrary number of black head coaches in the NFL.
You're grateful for the forced relocation and murder of indigenous people from their native home? You're happy about that?

Ya know what, give me your address. I'll come there, murder you and whoever else lives there, only after I force you to sign your home over to me in exchange for peanuts. Bet you'd be grateful for that, huh?
Snake

Post by Snake »

You live on land that was taken from Native Americans. You’re not Native American. Why don’t you go back to your indigenous land? Oh wait, no one ever does. Because every inch of land on earth has been fought over and it’s something that the left cares about, and nobody else is dumb enough to waste their time on.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Based
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:37 am You live on land that was taken from Native Americans. You’re not Native American. Why don’t you go back to your indigenous land? Oh wait, no one ever does. Because every inch of land on earth has been fought over and it’s something that the left cares about, and nobody else is dumb enough to waste their time on.
Ha! Why don't you come back to where you came from?!

Tell me again how "my people" got here?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:35 am

You're grateful for the forced relocation and murder of indigenous people from their native home? You're happy about that?

Ya know what, give me your address. I'll come there, murder you and whoever else lives there, only after I force you to sign your home over to me in exchange for peanuts. Bet you'd be grateful for that, huh?
Yes, I am grateful for that. And so are you, you're just too cowardly to admit it. You're living better than any of your ancestors and would NEVER move away from the country that you so willingly cast a negative light upon.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:39 am
Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:37 am You live on land that was taken from Native Americans. You’re not Native American. Why don’t you go back to your indigenous land? Oh wait, no one ever does. Because every inch of land on earth has been fought over and it’s something that the left cares about, and nobody else is dumb enough to waste their time on.

"Your people" were sold by "your people" in Africa to the evil white man.
Last edited by BucsNBills on Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I re-iterate what I said yesterday....you can't just hire blacks to be a HC because "you want to equal the playing field." That's like saying, "We want to hire Jim Harbaugh as HC but we have to hire Raheem Morris because he's black and we need to get our numbers up." That's the problem with looking at these statistics. Every situation is different. The Bucs may be awful at hiring head coaches outside of Gruden, Dungy, and Arians, but they've at least not looked at color and just hired guys they feel like best help this team and put seats in the stands. Other teams have done this as well.

As I said yesterday, if owners and GMs are specifically hiring underqualified white coaches over overqualified black coaches, then shame on them. That's an issue that needs to be further investigated. I feel like personally Eric Bieniemy should have gotten a job by now. To me, that's a head-scratcher that the NFL needs to figure out. But I'm not going to fault teams for not hiring black head coaches if they aren't looking at color and are hiring a coach purely on who they feel is the best fit for their team, gives the best interview, and is the most qualified.

Also, isn't the NBA more dominated by black head coaches now? I feel like sports are moving in the right direction with minorities. The NHL, of course, being the exception. But to get more minority HC you need to get minority coordinators. To get more minority coordinators you need more minority assistants and so on down the line. And I think that trend is moving in the right direction.
Last edited by Navybuc on Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:42 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:35 am

Yes, I am grateful for that. And so are you, you're just too cowardly to admit it. You're living better than any of your ancestors and would NEVER move away from the country that you so willingly cast a negative light upon.
I don't see an address. You're grateful for colonization, let's have at it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:39 am

Native Africans sold their own people to Europeans?

And yes, you are lamenting being a product of colonialization and western civilization. And how it is principally wrong the way these countries formed and found their success. Simultaneously, with the invention of air travel, and other things, you have the opportunity to return to indigenous lands and live a life that does not include posting on message boards.

If this life is so bad, and it is founded on things that you are abhor, and it’s beyond reprehensible. Why do you continue to benefit from its successes instead of taking a principled stand?

It’s the same reason libtards use iPhones while demonizing corporations. Because they like to pretend that they have morals and values. When it’s really virtue signaling.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:43 am I re-iterate what I said yesterday....you can't just hire blacks to be a HC because "you want to equal the playing field." That's like saying, "We want to hire Jim Harbaugh as HC but we have to hire Raheem Morris because he's black and we need to get our numbers up." That's the problem with looking at these statistics. Every situation is different. The Bucs may be awful at hiring head coaches outside of Gruden, Dungy, and Arians, but they've at least not looked at color and just hired guys they feel like best help this team and put seats in the stands. Other teams have done this as well.

As I said yesterday, if owners and GMs are specifically hiring underqualified white coaches over overqualified black coaches, then shame on them. That's an issue that needs to be further investigated. I feel like personally Eric Bieniemy should have gotten a job by now. To me, that's a head-scratcher that the NFL needs to figure out. But I'm not going to fault teams for not hiring black head coaches if they aren't looking at color and are hiring a coach purely on who they feel is the best fit for their team, gives the best interview, and is the most qualified.

Also, isn't the NBA more dominated by black head coaches now? I feel like sports are moving in the right direction with minorities. The NHL, of course, being the exception. But to get more minority HC you need to get minority coordinators. To get more minority coordinators you need more minority assistants and so on down the line. And I think that trend is moving in the right direction.
24 in 524 hired and 104 years. You think only 24 have been qualified enough?
Snake

Post by Snake »

white players make up 24.9% of the NFL, while comprising 60.1% of the population.

Whites are not fairly represented in the NFL
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:44 am
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:42 am

I don't see an address. You're grateful for colonization, let's have at it.
Book a flight to Columbus, Ohio. Let me know when you’re getting here. I’m sure you’re all about that life.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:47 am
Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:43 am I re-iterate what I said yesterday....you can't just hire blacks to be a HC because "you want to equal the playing field." That's like saying, "We want to hire Jim Harbaugh as HC but we have to hire Raheem Morris because he's black and we need to get our numbers up." That's the problem with looking at these statistics. Every situation is different. The Bucs may be awful at hiring head coaches outside of Gruden, Dungy, and Arians, but they've at least not looked at color and just hired guys they feel like best help this team and put seats in the stands. Other teams have done this as well.

I don't give a rat's ass about 30 years ago or 60 years ago or 104 years ago. I care about now...present day. Today. If teams are specifically targeting against blacks now, as I said, then they should be punished. But if they are hiring a coach based on who they feel is the best fit, what's wrong with that? Should they hire a black coach over a white coach just because they've only hired 24 out of 524 and they want to improve their numbers? According to you, the answer to that is yes.

Again, that's where you and I disagree. I don't look at color as a determining factor in hiring someone. You obviously do.
Last edited by Navybuc on Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:50 am white players make up 24.9% of the NFL, while comprising 60.1% of the population.

Interesting you say a 60.1/24.9% ratio is unfair representation.....
Yet 95.7/4.3% ratio "You people should be grateful".
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Blacks are entitled to about 4 HC vacancies in the NFL based on racial demographics. There's currently 4 black head coaches in the NFL: Bowles, Tomlin, Ryans, and Antonio Pierce. Chances are that number will rise after this next coaching hire wave.

I'm not sure what number of black coaches it will take to "be enough", but one thing is for sure, it certainly won't be their fair share.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:51 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:47 am

I don't give a rat's ass about 30 years ago or 60 years ago or 104 years ago. I care about now...present day. Today. If teams are specifically targeting against blacks now, as I said, then they should be punished. But if they are hiring a coach based on who they feel is the best fit, what's wrong with that? Should they hire a black coach over a white coach just because they've only hired 24 out of 524 and they want to improve their numbers? According to you, the answer to that is yes.

Again, that's where you and I disagree. I don't look at color as a determining factor in hiring someone. You obviously do.
Wait, why cherry pick the timeline then? We're talking about the facts here. 24 out of 524. You think only 24 have been qualified in the leagues history?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:52 am
Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:50 am white players make up 24.9% of the NFL, while comprising 60.1% of the population.

You’re making my point. I was being facetious.

Fairness doesn’t exist in reality.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:54 am Blacks are entitled to about 4 HC vacancies in the NFL based on racial demographics. There's currently 4 black head coaches in the NFL: Bowles, Tomlin, Ryans, and Antonio Pierce. Chances are that number will rise after this next coaching hire wave.

I'm not sure what number of black coaches it will take to "be enough", but one thing is for sure, it certainly won't be their fair share.
Pierce is an interim HC.

As @Cheb stated about 40% of assistant coaches are black. It's not reflected in HC numbers though. So why aren't assistant coaching percentages held to the same racial demographic standards the HC positions are?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:55 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:52 am

So you admit the hiring process in the NFL hasn't been fair then, right?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:57 am
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:54 am Blacks are entitled to about 4 HC vacancies in the NFL based on racial demographics. There's currently 4 black head coaches in the NFL: Bowles, Tomlin, Ryans, and Antonio Pierce. Chances are that number will rise after this next coaching hire wave.

Pierce is an interim HC.

As @Cheb stated about 40% of assistant coaches are black. It's not reflected in HC numbers though. So why aren't assistant coaching percentages held to the same racial demographic standards the HC positions are?
Because nobody actually gives a fuck about this non-issue, that's why. Only oppression poachers and eternal victims focus on the NFL hiring a proportional number of black head coaches.

Interim HC is still a HC.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:00 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:57 am

Pierce is an interim HC.

Because nobody actually gives a fuck about this non-issue, that's why. Only oppression poachers and eternal victims focus on the NFL hiring a proportional number of black head coaches.

Interim HC is still a HC.
Once the season ends, it means he's no longer HC. You clearly don't know what the word interim means.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:58 am
Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:55 am

The most qualified people don’t always get the job. Everyone who has worked at any point in their life and paid attention understands that. Whether it’s McDonald’s or the NFL or a hospital system or school or a court system or a dentist office or a lumberyard.

If the NFL hiring process from the executives down to the ball boy was fair or even good, there would be a lot more parity, and half of the league’s coaches wouldn’t be getting fired every few years.

Trying to cut it over racial lines is missing the mark. It’s not a racial issue. It’s a competence issue. As is everything.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:04 am

The most qualified people don’t always get the job. Everyone who has worked at any point in their life and paid attention understands that. Whether it’s McDonald’s or the NFL or a hospital system or school or a court system or a dentist office or a lumberyard.

If the NFL hiring process from the executives down to the ball boy was fair or even good, there would be a lot more parity, and half of the league’s coaches wouldn’t be getting fired every few years.

Trying to cut it over racial lines is missing the mark. It’s not a racial issue. It’s a competence issue. As is everything.
Checkmate, you racist piece of shit.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:54 am
Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:51 am

Wait, why cherry pick the timeline then? We're talking about the facts here. 24 out of 524. You think only 24 have been qualified in the leagues history?
What are the numbers since 2000? We know that prior to 2000, it was dominated by white coaches. As I said, that's a totally different era and generation. I'm more focused on the present.

Again, you're trying to say that black head coaches should get jobs because the numbers look bad. You could care less if they're qualified or not. I'm saying a black person should get a head coach only if they are the best candidate for the job.

I'm surprised you're not arguing that the NBA should have more white coaches. But God forbid you argue for the other race.
Last edited by Navybuc on Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Yeah but if we don't make it about race, what will the race baiting grifters do with all their free time???? Haven't you thought about them at all??
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:07 am

Checkmate, you racist piece of shit.
LOL!!!! Still coming to Columbus tough guy? I’ll be waiting.
Snake

Post by Snake »

bootz loves DEI and affirmative action.

But he won’t apply it to the players on the field. Wonder why that is…