2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BuccaNOLEer

Re: 2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:58 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:50 pm

It's called the Rooney Rule. And it's outdated and no longer needed as there are plenty of minority head coaches and GMs these days.
3 HCs or less than 10% is acceptable?
Yes it is. Because the most qualified candidate should be getting the job, regardless of whether they're black, white, yellow, red or blue.

And no business should EVER be forced to interview someone who isn't qualified just because they are a certain race.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:50 pm

It's called the Rooney Rule. And it's outdated and no longer needed as there are plenty of minority head coaches and GMs these days.
How many Asian coaches?
Or Indian coaches?
Muslim coaches?
Hispanic coaches?
Female coaches?

For some reason it is ultra important that we have black coaches but not important for any other race.

And if you want to keep it proportionate to population size, there should be 4 black coaches to reflect blacks being ~13% of the population. Anything more would be over representation
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Guys, let's not make this about race. @kaimaru I get it. I don't think those guys mean well, right? All @Terry Tate @Navybuc and @BuccaNOLEer are saying is they believe that in the 104 years the NFL has been in existence and the 524 men named HC there have only been 24 black coaches deserving of being named HC. They believe that there have only been 24 black coaches who have deserved to be named HC in 104 years total. Because clearly that's how it works, people get hired by the work they do.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

What about the Asians HCs?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:33 pm
kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:00 pm

And yet every year we have a bunch of coaches that are not qualified. It's on the job training. 13 teams, about 40% in their history has never had a black head coach that wasn't an interim coach. 13! Are you saying of those hundreds of coaches they have had there was not one minority candidate that wasn't a leader of men and knew Xs and Os well enough to be hired?
So if you're interviewing a black coach and a white coach, and the white coach gives the better interview and is well-qualified, you believe the black coach should get the job just so they can improve their numbers? Because you feel sorry for them that since "our team has never had a black head coach, we should give him the job?"
Did I say that? And what makes you believe every white person was more qualified?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:49 pm What about the Asians HCs?
I don't think deflecting is appropriate now until we can get 1 demographic discussed and resolved.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Depending on how you want to slice up your demographics and what sources you enjoy, somewhere between 56% to 71-ish% of NFL players are black. One would think that in a sport with so many black players, that black coaches would be as prevalent. And yet, here's the official photo of 2023 NFL head coaches:

Odd, ain't it?
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Serious chalkyness
I said what I said

Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Hispanic, Latino Latinx, whatever the going description is... Are fixing to become the minority race in the US within the next few years (I think)... Yet, no discussion on them.

I guess that Ron Rivera will always have a job somewhere?
Last edited by Moozician on Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:46 pm Guys, let's not make this about race. @kaimaru I get it. I don't think those guys mean well, right? All @Terry Tate @Navybuc and @BuccaNOLEer are saying is they believe that in the 104 years the NFL has been in existence and the 524 men named HC there have only been 24 black coaches deserving of being named HC. They believe that there have only been 24 black coaches who have deserved to be named HC in 104 years total. Because clearly that's how it works, people get hired by the work they do.
link?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Moozician wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:59 pm Hispanic, Latino Latinx, whatever the going description is... Are fixing to become the minority race in the US within the next few years (I think)... Yet, no discussion on them.

I Ron Rivera will always have a job somewhere?
Last I checked, there aren't many Hispanic folks at the top level of football as players, so the fact there aren't many who get into coaching at that same high level makes sense. A quick googling confirms that less than 1% of NFL players identify as Latino, and less than 4% of college football players.

It's an apples to oranges comparison.

To be clear, I don't think that anyone should be hired or fired to a coaching gig, or any other type of gig for that matter, because of their racial identity, same for gender or religious beliefs or sexual orientation or any other demographic that you can find on a dating profile.

What DOES bother me is the disconnect between players of color and coaches of color in top jobs. There's a relatively large number of black assistant coaches in the NFL, around 35-40% of assistant coaches per the National Law Review. But when you look at coordinators and head coaches, the numbers look less than stellar. Better for defensive coordinators, but offense and head coaches look a little sparse. I'll share my research so y'all don't have to look stuff up:

There are only four offensive coordinators who are black -- Eddie Faulkner of the Steelers, Brian Johnson of the Eagles, Eric Bienemy of the Commanders, Thomas Brown of the Panthers.

There are only three head coaches who are black -- Todd Bowles, Mike Tomlin, and DeMeco Ryan.

To be fair, there's a far better proportion of black defensive coordinators in the NFL, 13 out of 32 jobs -- Teryl Austin of the Steelers, Vance Joseph of the Broncos, Patrick Graham of the Raiders, Derrick Ansley of the Chargers, Sean Desai of the Eagles, Aaron Glenn of the Lions, Brian Flores of the Vikings, Ejiro of the Panthers, Joe Woods of the Saints, both Kacy Rodgers and Larry Foote of the Bucs, Raheem Morris of the Rams, Steve Wilks of the 49ers, and Clint Hurtt of the Seahawks.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:28 am
Moozician wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:59 pm Hispanic, Latino Latinx, whatever the going description is... Are fixing to become the minority race in the US within the next few years (I think)... Yet, no discussion on them.

I Ron Rivera will always have a job somewhere?
Last I checked, there aren't many Hispanic folks at the top level of football as players, so the fact there aren't many who get into coaching at that same high level makes sense. A quick googling confirms that less than 1% of NFL players identify as Latino, and less than 4% of college football players.

It's an apples to oranges comparison.

To be clear, I don't think that anyone should be hired or fired to a coaching gig, or any other type of gig for that matter, because of their racial identity, same for gender or religious beliefs or sexual orientation or any other demographic that you can find on a dating profile.

What DOES bother me is the disconnect between players of color and coaches of color in top jobs. There's a relatively large number of black assistant coaches in the NFL, around 35-40% of assistant coaches per the National Law Review. But when you look at coordinators and head coaches, the numbers look less than stellar. Better for defensive coordinators, but offense and head coaches look a little sparse. I'll share my research so y'all don't have to look stuff up:

There are only four offensive coordinators who are black -- Eddie Faulkner of the Steelers, Brian Johnson of the Eagles, Eric Bienemy of the Commanders, Thomas Brown of the Panthers.

There are only three head coaches who are black -- Todd Bowles, Mike Tomlin, and DeMeco Ryan.

To be fair, there's a far better proportion of black defensive coordinators in the NFL, 13 out of 32 jobs -- Teryl Austin of the Steelers, Vance Joseph of the Broncos, Patrick Graham of the Raiders, Derrick Ansley of the Chargers, Sean Desai of the Eagles, Aaron Glenn of the Lions, Brian Flores of the Vikings, Ejiro of the Panthers, Joe Woods of the Saints, both Kacy Rodgers and Larry Foote of the Bucs, Raheem Morris of the Rams, Steve Wilks of the 49ers, and Clint Hurtt of the Seahawks.
I suspect it's because the top couple of spots on an NFL team are an insular club. Assistants are hired by the HC but head coaches and GM's are hired with the direct involvement of ownership and ownership is invariable white. Furthermore, ownership usually comes from a big business background and often come from inherited wealth. There is a vast gulf in the backgrounds of those owners and the average nfl black player turned assistant coach. I believe that works against the black candidate a fair number of times.

We are starting to see more minority hires in the front office, they will eventually translate into more head coach hires. Ultimately though, Bootz is a fool and there is no conspiracy to avoid black hires. Owners want to win games and make money. If they think the black candidate is the best choice to do it that man will get hired.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

End of an era

Breaking: Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots are expected to part ways today after a remarkable 24 seasons together, ending an unmatched run in NFL history that included six Super Bowl titles, league sources tell Adam Schefter and Mike Reiss.
Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots are expected to part ways Thursday after a remarkable 24 seasons together, ending an unmatched run in NFL history that included six Super Bowl titles, league sources told ESPN.

Belichick and Patriots owner Robert Kraft spent a good part of this week periodically meeting and discussing how each side wanted to proceed. From sources familiar with those conversations, there was said to be no conflict, no disagreement, and in the end, productive talks resulted in a mutual decision that left both sides comfortable and at ease.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Tracking NFL coach openings: Latest intel on Seahawks, Titans, Commanders, Falcons
15hESPN staff

Offseason guide for every eliminated NFL team: Key free agents, draft outlook, priorities and predictions
3dESPN staff

Here are the 2024 regular-season opponents for every NFL team
3dESPN staff
Both Belichick and Kraft, as one outside party noted, "took the high road," which was appropriate for an owner-coach tandem that will go down as one of the greatest and most decorated in NFL history.

Belichick, who had one year remaining on his contract, will be allowed to leave the team without the Patriots seeking compensation. He will want to continue coaching and is expected to draw interest from at least some of the other seven NFL teams that have head-coaching vacancies, quite possibly the Atlanta Falcons, league sources said.

The Patriots now will embark on their first head-coaching search in a quarter-century. Patriots linebackers coach Jerod Mayo, whom the team signed to a contract extension in the offseason and Kraft has identified as a rising head-coaching candidate, projects to be a, if not the, leading candidate for the job, sources said. Mayo played for the Patriots from 2008 to 2014 and has been an assistant under Belichick since 2019.

Belichick's exit from New England is expected to come less than 24 hours after his close friend Nick Saban retired from Alabama.

There is a symmetry and a similarity in the goodbye of two football legends -- men that are widely considered the greatest coach in professional history and the greatest coach in college football history. Belichick helped lead the Patriots to nine Super Bowl appearances and six Super Bowl titles; Saban led Alabama to nine SEC titles and six national championships.

Additionally, Saban succeeded Pete Carroll as the Ohio State secondary coach in 1980; Belichick worked with Saban in Cleveland from 1991 to 1994; and Belichick replaced Carroll as the Patriots head coach in 2000 before all three vacated their long-standing jobs this week in a 24-hour period.

Bill Belichick has 333 wins all-time (regular season and playoffs), 14 behind Hall of Famer Don Shula. AP Photo/Michael Dwyer
The fact that Belichick and Kraft are going their own ways carries an element of sadness, but not surprise. Kraft had pointed out how important it was for the Patriots to make the playoffs this season. Instead, they were one of the first teams eliminated on Dec. 10.

Speculation about Belichick's future swirled over the 2023 season, with one of the lowest points for the team coming Nov. 12 in a 10-6 loss to the Indianapolis Colts in Frankfurt, Germany.

Before that game, addressing this past season, the 82-year-old Kraft told NFL Network: "It's really been disappointing. I had hoped things would be a lot better, as I know our fan base did. ... This isn't what we were expecting to happen this year."

Another key factor for Kraft was the franchise's trajectory since the departure of quarterback Tom Brady as a free agent after the 2019 season. Since losing Brady, which pained Kraft, the Patriots have posted losing records in three of their four seasons, and their last playoff win was a 13-3 triumph over the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl LIII on Feb. 3, 2019 -- when Brady was still on the team.

Belichick, 71, leaves New England with 333 career victories, ranking second all-time behind Don Shula and his 347. Belichick, George Halas and Curly Lambeau are the only NFL coaches with six championships since the league began postseason play in 1933.

Belichick's 24-year tenure was the fifth longest of any head coach with one team. He had completed his 49th consecutive NFL season in 2023, the most consecutive coaching seasons in league history.

He is now looking to spend season No. 50 with another NFL franchise.

Belichick's résumé also includes these marks that are expected to stand for the foreseeable future:

• 17 division titles, the most by a head coach in NFL history, with Shula, Andy Reid and Tom Landry tied for second with 13.

• Nine conference championships, the most by a head coach in the Super Bowl era.

• 12 Super Bowl appearances (including his time as an assistant).

• 21 winning seasons as a head coach, which trails only Halas (40), Shula (33), Lambeau (33) and Landry (29).

• One of four undefeated and untied regular seasons in NFL history (2007). It was the only one under the 16-game schedule played from 1978 to 2020.

The Patriots are expected to hold a news conference at some point Thursday, and it will mark the end of a remarkable era in Patriots and football history.
Here's the phpto of Nick Saban and Bill Belichick when they were in Cleveland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Crazy
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

All good things must come to an end.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I wonder what team will try to get Belichick and for how long. I mean is he trying to be the next Paterno?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I believe he'll go to a team that loses Jim Harbaugh sweepstakes.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Terry Tate wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:14 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:46 pm Guys, let's not make this about race. @kaimaru I get it. I don't think those guys mean well, right? All @Terry Tate @Navybuc and @BuccaNOLEer are saying is they believe that in the 104 years the NFL has been in existence and the 524 men named HC there have only been 24 black coaches deserving of being named HC. They believe that there have only been 24 black coaches who have deserved to be named HC in 104 years total. Because clearly that's how it works, people get hired by the work they do.
link?
Terry Tate wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:50 pm

12% of the population is black. So yeah, that's pretty close.
My mistake. You did say 12%. 24 of 524 is just 4.3%. So you think there should be more, right?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:00 am I wonder what team will try to get Belichick and for how long. I mean is he trying to be the next Paterno?
Atlanta has been interested in BB for weeks according to a tweet Auman retweetered
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Crazy that the best college football coach in history and the best NFL coach in history leave their programs within 24 hours of each other. You can even throw in Pete Carroll, a Super Bowl-winning coach and national champion. Unbelievable.
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:20 am End of an era

I hope NE goes after Ryan Day!!!!!
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:15 am
Terry Tate wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:14 am

link?
Terry Tate wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:50 pm

12% of the population is black. So yeah, that's pretty close.
My mistake. You did say 12%. 24 of 524 is just 4.3%. So you think there should be more, right?
Oh Jesus Christ not this again. Yes, the NFL is so racist towards blacks that they're only willing to make them millionaires many times over.

Forever the victims.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:24 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:15 am

Oh Jesus Christ not this again. Yes, the NFL is so racist towards blacks that they're only willing to make them millionaires many times over.

Forever the victims.
So you're saying they should just be grateful at what they've been given?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:32 am
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:24 am

Forever the victims.
.....Yes??? As should anyone who's lucky enough to be in the NFL.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:43 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:32 am

Thank you, massa.

Sorry I misunderstood. You're just also one who believes there's only been 24 deserving African Americans in 104 years of NFL HC jobs.
Snake

Post by Snake »

How many deserving Asians and Hispanics?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:48 am
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:43 am

Thank you, massa.

Sorry I misunderstood. You're just also one who believes there's only been 24 deserving African Americans in 104 years of NFL HC jobs.
NFL players and slaves from 150+ years ago...the most oppressed people to have walked the planet.

Hang in there kiddo, one day I bet we'll eve. have a black president.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:53 am How many deserving Asians and Hispanics?
Those never count when discussing the oppression black NFL players and coaches have had to face over the years.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:55 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:48 am

Thank you, massa.

NFL players and slaves from 150+ years ago...the most oppressed people to have walked the planet.

Hang in there kiddo, one day I bet we'll eve. have a black president.
I said my bad. I get it. You believe there have only been 24 black men deserving of being head coaches in this league's 104 year history.
Snake

Post by Snake »

How many women have deserved to be head coach?

How many women have deserved to play in the NFL?

How many brilliant high school coaches that never got a look from any college deserve to be head coach in the NFL but were “unfairly” kept out?

The argument doesn’t work
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Deflecting doesn't work either. Fact is 1 demographic has called the shots, made the rules, made the decisions and for most of the leagues history ruled the landscape.

It seems you'd never ask those questions if the percentages swayed back to how it was say 30-35 years ago...
Snake

Post by Snake »

One demographic provided opportunities for millions of minorities in which to become millionaires? Man those are horrible people!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:16 am One demographic provided opportunities for millions of minorities in which to become millionaires? Man those are horrible people!
So we should thank the white man for all he's done? Without him where would we be, huh?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Western civilization was clearly a mistake, right? As we sit in comfort and post on the message board from the Internet.

Damn White People!!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:21 am Western civilization was clearly a mistake, right? As we sit in comfort and post on the message board from the Internet.

Damn White People!!
Yea without colonization, genocide, kidnapping, enslavement none of this is possible. White man is so great..