Rapid Reactions: Bucs Lose to the Colts 27-20

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Rapid Reactions: Bucs Lose to the Colts 27-20

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:24 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:57 pm The defense allowes the 12th fewest ppg. #2 in redzone defense. Sunday they allowed their 1st TD off of a turnover by the offense. 13th in total takeaways.

Anyone bitching about the defense has an agenda. Plain and simple.
Over the last four games, the defense has allowed an average of 24.75 ppg, which extrapolated over a season's worth of play would make them the sixth-worst scoring defense in the NFL. And that's including a very good 6 points allowed against the Titans, which drastically drops that number.

In the same four game span, the defense has allowed 379.75 yards per game, which would be fourth worst in the NFL.

The defense at the beginning of the season was pretty good. Lately, they've been among the worst in the NFL.
Oh so instead of looking at the season as a whole we should "extrapolate" using a very specific cherry picked number of games. Got it.
Most hated man in America.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:14 pm
Phantom wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:10 pm

Same
That's because media outlets don't want to waste ten seconds of airtime talking about a mediocre, boring, bad, small market football team. I haven't heard any of them calling for Mike Vrabel's head for the same reason. Nobody cares enough to bother.

That's the Bowles effect.
I think the comment was about Robert Saleh.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:27 pm

Over the last four games, the defense has allowed an average of 24.75 ppg, which extrapolated over a season's worth of play would make them the sixth-worst scoring defense in the NFL. And that's including a very good 6 points allowed against the Titans, which drastically drops that number.

In the same four game span, the defense has allowed 379.75 yards per game, which would be fourth worst in the NFL.

The defense at the beginning of the season was pretty good. Lately, they've been among the worst in the NFL.
Oh so instead of looking at the season as a whole we should "extrapolate" using a very specific cherry picked number of games. Got it.
Can’t speak to why he picked the last 4 games; he probably could have used the Bye week, because the general point — the defense has been increasingly worse and less trustworthy lately — is definitely valid.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Sounds like there’s some trouble in the locker room (again)…

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:03 pm
Another reason is, point blank, we're simply a traumatized franchise. How often have we had a peace of mind, trust the process offseason vs everything is a dumpster fire, reset it all? Which neuropathways do you think we have most engrained?
Truest thing you have ever said. And THAT is why I keep calling us die hard fans “Trauma bonded” because we are.
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

They started out stronge. Our first game I was like “Whoah, these guys are gonna really be good this year”. But how many games can you stay on the field over and over and over with the offense doing the 3 and out dance. The defense is exhausted and probably feeling powerless to carry the team with this offense. I think they gave up to some degree because of the above. No excusing them, just explaining them.
I said what I said

Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

The number of games that shows the defense is collapsing upon itself. We have 4 good defensive players, 2 average players, 3 bad players and 2 TERRIBLE shouldn't be on an NFL roster players that are starting for this defense.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Looking at the last four games a team has played is a fairly common thing when scouting an upcoming opponent. You don't want to scout a team as it was three months ago; you want to scout them as they are now and their recent past.

For a real world example of why this is, look at the Broncos. They have the fourth worst ppg allowed defensively when you look at the entire year. But any Broncos fan can tell you that the defense has been absolutely stellar lately and is a big reason why they're in a five-game win streak.

As I've said, and pointedly you didn't refute, the Bucs' defense was good earlier this year and has been quite bad when looking at their recent performance. One of the worst in the NFL, in fact. But of course you didn't refute it -- because it's true.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:57 pm The defense allowes the 12th fewest ppg. #2 in redzone defense. Sunday they allowed their 1st TD off of a turnover by the offense. 13th in total takeaways.

Anyone bitching about the defense has an agenda. Plain and simple.
They’ve had 4 good games that are severely skewing the numbers. 4 wins not coincidentally. They’ve given away two games inside of a minute in the 4th quarter. They’re next to last in the NFL in pass defense.

Great, you stopped them in the red zone, but they’re letting teams get to 3rd base without much effort.

What are we in 3rd down defense? I imagine it’s atrocious.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I looked it up. 29th in the league. Allowing 44% conversion on 3rd down.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:07 am I looked it up. 29th in the league. Allowing 44% conversion on 3rd down.
So it's a discussion about yards then
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

@Bootz, just stop, dude. The schtick is stale. This defense has regressed tremendously over the past 4+ games. Any casual fan can see that. For sure the folks in here can see it. You can see it, too, but you just love arguing the opposite of what the majority sees/thinks/feels. I don't know why. It can't be because you're truly trying to defend this clown-show, right?
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:34 am @Bootz, just stop, dude. The schtick is stale. This defense has regressed tremendously over the past 4+ games. Any casual fan can see that. For sure the folks in here can see it. You can see it, too, but you just love arguing the opposite of what the majority sees/thinks/feels. I don't know why. It can't be because you're truly trying to defend this clown-show, right?
Apparently the schtick to cherry pick hasn't gotten old.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:47 am
Buc2 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:34 am @Bootz, just stop, dude. The schtick is stale. This defense has regressed tremendously over the past 4+ games. Any casual fan can see that. For sure the folks in here can see it. You can see it, too, but you just love arguing the opposite of what the majority sees/thinks/feels. I don't know why. It can't be because you're truly trying to defend this clown-show, right?
Apparently the schtick to cherry pick hasn't gotten old.
I think @Cheb explained picking their last 4 games to most everyone's satisfaction. But, hey...let's see if Bowles can get this defense turned around and dominate these last few games of the season. If he does, maybe he saves his job. If not, bye-bye, Todd.
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

The other thing to note is that last year is very similar to this year. Strong start that faded to crappy play. That is not a sign of good coaching. That is a sign of a coach that does not know how to adjust week to week.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Why does Bootz do this? Just read the line under his posts. "Most hated man in America." And with every post he makes he is reinforcing that mantra. It might be the only thing he does well.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Phantom wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:10 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:07 pm

I haven't heard a single media outlet say he should get the boot.
Same
Not to get into this, but NY radio is saying he needs to fire OC Nathaniel Hackett, he has been asked why he won't and avoids the question. More than one WFAN host has called for his firing. While he was a darling on GMFB all year, they actively ignore talking about him now which means the fans are cold on him. So while I am not sure how much he is on the hot seat, his seat is 100% warm at the least
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bootz wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:51 pm
Doctor wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:41 pm I'm sorry, it's only a good culture if we're winning? That's stupid.
Ummm explain please.
Getting it now?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:16 am
Bootz wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:51 pm

Ummm explain please.
Getting it now?
We're winning. Culture breeds success.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Wrong thread
Last edited by Phantom on Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Strange season for sure. I think first year QB and first year OC it wasn't going to be perfect. They needed time to put it together.