Division or Savior?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Win the division or lose to get our “savior”

Division
59%
Savior
41%

Total votes: 17

Bootz

Division or Savior?

Post by Bootz »

Quite simple. This has been a polarizing topic. There are some who believes winning is the way you turn things around. There are also those who believe losing is how you start winning because it means you can draft your savior who will soon bring you numerous championships even though it hasn’t happened since Eli Manning and even that’s debatable.

So how do you want this teams final stretch to go: Do you want us to go after the division or lose as many games as possible to get our “ savior”?
Most hated man in America.
13F11B

Re: Division or Savior?

Post by 13F11B »

Stupid poll. Why do you post drivel like this?

This question is not this simple. Most people understand that. A decent front office and coaching staff do not need to get the #1 pick to start winning. A bad front office and coaching staff will waste numerous #1 picks and never get better. I am starting to believe the problem is Bowles and not Licht. So, my vote would be to fire Bowles and move on to a coaching staff capable of developing players and getting the most out of them.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

You can win with a talented roster in a horrible division and still not turn things around to be able to compete for the big game. This scenario isn't included in the poll.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You can get a savior later. Plenty of good QBs in this class and we've repeatedly seen the ugly duckling to fall be the top of the draft class anyway.

Rather have that kid walk into a more stable environment with everyone else at least one year into the scheme than us scrambling to clean and redo both sides of the ball.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

If by savior you mean getting a new HC, then, by all means, lose. Otherwise, win the division in spite of the fact the team will still suck.
Don't tread on me
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I’m fine with winning a division if we could actually win the SB. At least last year, because we had Brady, I had hope. But we have no chance to win a playoff game this year, and we don’t have a qb who can get us to the next level.

You can still get a great qb from picks 10-17 next year, so as long as that’s our goal, I’m fine with it. Along with getting a new HC. But I’m in the camp that if you want to stick with Baker and Bowles, you are accepting mediocrity at best.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Navybuc wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:33 am I’m fine with winning a division if we could actually win the SB. At least last year, because we had Brady, I had hope. But we have no chance to win a playoff game this year, and we don’t have a qb who can get us to the next level.

You can still get a great qb from picks 10-17 next year, so as long as that’s our goal, I’m fine with it.
I don't disagree with the first point but who do you have in mind that is a clear upgrade within your second point?
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Four Verticals wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:52 am
Navybuc wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:33 am I’m fine with winning a division if we could actually win the SB. At least last year, because we had Brady, I had hope. But we have no chance to win a playoff game this year, and we don’t have a qb who can get us to the next level.

You can still get a great qb from picks 10-17 next year, so as long as that’s our goal, I’m fine with it.
I don't disagree with the first point but who do you have in mind that is a clear upgrade within your second point?
I think any rookie that's eligible to go in the first round has the "potential to be an upgrade." I always say potential because you could wind up with a Trey Lance or Zach Wilson. You could also get a Jalen Hurts or a Josh Allen. But you have to take that chance. You're not going to get to that next level with what we got.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Lose out, fire Bowles.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Snake wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:53 pm Lose out, fire Bowles.
Finish 2 and 5 and fire Bowles. Even 3 and 4, fire Bowles.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I personally think it would be awesome to win the division and get another crack at beating the Cowboys in a playoff game. There’s always a chance we beat them.

I don’t understand how a true fan could think any differently.

Especially since any “savior” isn’t a guarantee to be better than what we already have.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Our "saviors" were John Gruden and Tom Brady. Neither came from our draft position. They came by adding the missing piece into an already established roster.

Of our 5 first overall draft picks, they have won us exactly one playoff game.

Losing for draft position isn't a real thing, just fan talk, unless it's the last game of the season and your loser team is trying to be worse than another loser team, and even then it's 50/50.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:35 pm Our "saviors" were John Gruden and Tom Brady. Neither came from our draft position. They came by adding the missing piece into an already established roster.

Of our 5 first overall draft picks, they have won us exactly one playoff game.

Losing for draft position isn't a real thing, just fan talk, unless it's the last game of the season and your loser team is trying to be worse than another loser team, and even then it's 50/50.
This dude has summed it up well. Kudos
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

It's whatever. This is a filler season so I don't really care. I guess it would be cool to win the division 3 years in a row but I know in doing so we will "earn" the privilege of getting our assholes gaped during wild card weekend.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:40 am Stupid poll. Why do you post drivel like this?

This question is not this simple. Most people understand that. A decent front office and coaching staff do not need to get the #1 pick to start winning. A bad front office and coaching staff will waste numerous #1 picks and never get better. I am starting to believe the problem is Bowles and not Licht. So, my vote would be to fire Bowles and move on to a coaching staff capable of developing players and getting the most out of them.

That’s a solid perspective. However, as you can see, many people do not agree with you or feel the same. Many people have different opinions on what the best course of action is.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I like watching elite players. The higher you draft, the better your chances are at acquiring elite players.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:12 pm I like watching elite players. The higher you draft, the better your chances are at acquiring elite players.
Do you mean like Jameis Winston, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Leaf, Johnny Manziel, and Tony Mandarich?

I get what you are saying, but bad organizations do not evaluate or develop talent well.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Bootz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:19 am Quite simple. This has been a polarizing topic. There are some who believes winning is the way you turn things around. There are also those who believe losing is how you start winning because it means you can draft your savior who will soon bring you numerous championships even though it hasn’t happened since Eli Manning and even that’s debatable.

So how do you want this teams final stretch to go: Do you want us to go after the division or lose as many games as possible to get our “ savior”?
Starting every game, Luck led the Colts to 11 wins—a record for rookie quarterbacks drafted first, where the previous record was 8—and reached the playoffs with a team that had gone 2–14 the year before.

??????????

I’ve come around though. A team can get lucky and win any week. Im down for us to win our crap division and take a stab at playoffs. You never know.
Snake

Post by Snake »

13F11B wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:24 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:12 pm I like watching elite players. The higher you draft, the better your chances are at acquiring elite players.
Do you mean like Jameis Winston, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Leaf, Johnny Manziel, and Tony Mandarich?

I get what you are saying, but bad organizations do not evaluate or develop talent well.
Correct. I’m praying for an unforeseen miracle….

Which is still more likely than Bowles becoming a great head coach.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I am rooting for neither. Being crowned champion of the worst division in football is meaningless, as I have no faith such a team can go through the playoffs gauntlet with any measure of success. Nor do I hope for a rookie savior; plenty of teams found their franchise quarterback outside of the top five picks of the draft and there's nothing holding the Bucs back from doing the same.

What I'm hoping for is momentum, either positive or negative.

If the Bucs start stacking wins and playing consistently and giving me something to be excited about, I would take that in a heartbeat as Plan A. Division crown or not, that's a good outcome with signs towards a healthy future.

If conversely the Bucs continue to be the kind of team they have been, with five losses in the last six games, I can find solace in the knowledge that there is going to be a major shakeups throughout the organization in order to effect change. Rookie savior or not, I'll take that as Plan B.

The worst would be middling a way to an uninspired division championship before getting blasted outta the playoffs. Bowles and friends come back in such a case, and the story of next season could be written before it ever began. More of the same. No thank you.

Give me some momentum either way. Hell, I'll ask for seconds.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Who are the elite "can't miss" players in the upcoming draft?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:43 am
Pay me $1m annually and I’ll give you a comprehensive list.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I'm not interested in losing to gain a draft pick. It's the other way: I'm more scared of meaningless winning because it would secure additional years for this coaching staff.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Kress wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:25 am I'm not interested in losing to gain a draft pick. It's the other way: I'm more scared of meaningless winning because it would secure additional years for this coaching staff.
Another season of Bowles just feels inevitable to me. Of course it’s possible we lose a whole bunch of games to finish out the season, but the schedule is pretty darn easy.

Does 4-3 to finish out for another 8-9 season get him fired? I’m not sure. I don’t think so. And they’ll have to play really poorly to do worse than 4-3. It’s possible though. This defense may be in store for an epic collapse.

I’m kind of torn because I like Canales. Can’t see him staying if they fire Bowles unless he’s promoted to HC, and that’s dubious after one season of fairly mediocre offensive football.

We’re in a tough spot. I don’t want to tank, but I also know we’re on the hamster wheel of mediocrity right now.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:43 am
None. There is no such thing.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Adrian Peterson was an elite can’t miss prospect. As was Andrew Luck.

They exist.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:31 am Adrian Peterson was an elite can’t miss prospect. As was Andrew Luck.

They exist.
So were Trent Richardson and Sam Bradford.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:31 am Adrian Peterson was an elite can’t miss prospect. As was Andrew Luck.

They exist.
You had to go back 16 & 11 years to find elite can't miss prospects? 1 of which didn't pan out. That's cold.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

We want the Bucs to play the best they can as a team.
Period.
Come what may…
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Priorities are always the same

1. Make playoffs
2. Play good winter football

That's it. That's what matters. If these things are happening we're where we want to be. We only got 1 out of 2 last year.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:04 am

They exist.
You had to go back 16 & 11 years to find elite can't miss prospects? 1 of which didn't pan out. That's cold.
Andrew Luck “didn’t pan out”?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:35 am
Bootz wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:04 am

Will he be a hall of famer in 2025?
Last edited by Bootz on Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Would you say McNabb, Green or McNair "panned out"? What's the standard here?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:43 am
Snake wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:35 am

Will he be a hall of famer?
The Hall of Fame is your expectation for an elite can’t miss prospect?

He made four pro bowls in 7 seasons. He dragged a team that went 2-14 the year before he was drafted, to an 11-5 playoff berth, as a rookie. Four playoff appearances in 7 seasons. Most of those seasons with quite bad supporting casts.

Andrew Luck was an amazing draft pick, who panned out. Meanwhile, Doctor sucks Baker Mayfield’s dick (another #1 pick). Who is objectively mediocre and elevates no one.

Is Mario Williams also a #1 who didn’t pan out? He won’t make the hall. 97 sacks, 3x all pro.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

The point is the “savior strategy” has been debunked.