Best Day 2 QB

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Doctor

Best Day 2 QB

Post by Doctor »

While you never really know how a draft falls, the odds are pretty good we are taking a QB in the first.
But say a top non-QB takes a tumble and falls into our laps and is our pick.

Who are you targeting in Day 2?
Snake

Re: Best Day 2 QB

Post by Snake »

As much as I’ve posted about Jayden Daniels in the last year, I have a healthy skepticism about the projection.

In my opinion, his mechanics are still out of whack even after 5+ coaches have taken a crack at it. His lower body and upper body are out of sync and I believe it contributes to him being scattershot in the short to intermediate. Which has been a problem for 4+ years.

Sticky eyes on the first read, struggles to get past it, and then bails on often clean pockets. Luckily he’s athletic and will outrun the vast majority of defenders. He’s 4.4 in a straight line, with some wiggle.

His deep ball looks very good to me. I haven’t seen the metrics, but it’s almost always on point.

You take him hoping you can add that anticipatory part of his game (fix his post-snap processing) and clean up the mechanics. He already does a great job protecting the ball, but as @Cheb said, he’s a touchdown to checkdown guy. If the first read bomb isn’t there, he’s just gonna dump it off.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Snake wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:15 am As much as I’ve posted about Jayden Daniels in the last year, I have a healthy skepticism about the projection.

In my opinion, his mechanics are still out of whack even after 5+ coaches have taken a crack at it. His lower body and upper body are out of sync and I believe it contributes to him being scattershot in the short to intermediate. Which has been a problem for 4+ years.

Sticky eyes on the first read, struggles to get past it, and then bails on often clean pockets. Luckily he’s athletic and will outrun the vast majority of defenders. He’s 4.4 in a straight line, with some wiggle.

His deep ball looks very good to me. I haven’t seen the metrics, but it’s almost always on point.

You take him hoping you can add that anticipatory part of his game (fix his post-snap processing) and clean up the mechanics. He already does a great job protecting the ball, but as @Cheb said, he’s a touchdown to checkdown guy. If the first read bomb isn’t there, he’s just gonna dump it off.

I would think day 2 is a wish - maybe IABL can diminish his value so he would reach us.
Tom struggled with the bomb and so does Baker. When his time would come for us I do not think Daniels will have a problem with 300 yard games.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Hard to see Daniels tumbling into the second with his athleticism and production. Maybe because he's older? Bo Nix similarly. There are so many:

Sanders
Ewers
McCarthy
Pratt
Leonard

Honestly, assuming we're picking late teens, or hopefully early 20's I'd sign Baker to a modest extension or tag him and then draft the QB in the second. We still have Trask next year too.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Williams
Maye
Nix
Penix
Daniels
Sanders
Ewers
McCarthy
Pratt
Leonard

That's a lot of talent right there.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Considering how many of them there are who still has eligibility next year and may not come out? You have to think some of them could stay another year and then get into that "top ten pick in 2025" conversation.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:51 am Considering how many of them there are who still has eligibility next year and may not come out? You have to think some of them could stay another year and then get into that "top ten pick in 2025" conversation.
Quick look at every NFL team and if they are QB needy as of today. Some teams don't know if they are yet, and have to let their current guys accrue some experience first.

Arizona Cardinals - no. Kyler locked in on a long deal.
Atlanta Falcons - Yes. Ridder would not stop a team from taking a superior talent. Production isn't there.
Baltimore Ravens - no. Lamar is locked in on a long deal.
Buffalo Bills - no. Allen.
Carolina Panthers - no (check back in 3 years).
Chicago Bears - yes. Team performs better without Fields.
Cincinnati Bengals - no. Burrow.
Cleveland Browns - maybe (but can't afford to spend $/assets on another). So, no.
Dallas Cowboys - no. Dak on big deal.
Denver Broncos - no. Wilson on big deal.
Detroit Lions - As of today, I'm going with yes. Goff is only under contract through 2024 and they've tried and failed to negotiate an extension a few times. Goff is a solid game manager. Do you want to pay him 30m+ to protect the ball and not make tons of plays? Drafting a cost-controlled young playmaker at QB COULD take them to the next level.
Green Bay Packers - yes. Love is under contract one more season. Very uninspiring play.
Houston Texans - no.
Indianapolis Colts - no.
Jacksonville Jaguars - no.
Kansas City Chiefs - no.
Las Vegas Raiders - yes.
Los Angeles Chargers - no
Los Angeles Rams - no
Miami Dolphins - no
Minnesota Vikings - yes
New England Patriots - yes
New Orleans Saints - iffy. Carr is the definition of good-to-average. I think they hang with him, but nothing would surprise me here.
New York Giants - yes.
New York Jets - Iffy. Rodgers will be back, Wilson should be gone. No bridge to future. But I think they'd probably look to use picks on immediate contributors elsewhere.
Philadelphia Eagles - no
Pittsburgh Steelers - maybe. Pickett has been fantastically unproductive. 2 TDs in his last 5 games, for example. I think he gets another full year at the helm before anything changes.
San Francisco 49ers - iffy. Purdy is generally productive and reliable in the regular season. The question is, and @Bootz will attest to this, is Shanahan going to face reality when the 49ers lose in the playoffs because Purdy can't take a game over, and Shanahan has to acquire a QB who can transcend his system and just GO. WIN. A. GAME.
Seattle Seahawks - no.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - absolutely.
Tennessee Titans - I think Levis gets at least a full season before they draft another QB high. Going with no.
Washington Commanders - I really don't know. Do I think Washington would take Caleb Williams #1? Absolutely. Do I think they would take a guy like Penix #13 or something? I have my doubts. Howell is only 23 years old. He's more a floor than a ceiling guy. I think they want to see what they have though.

That's 9 teams, in my opinion, who I think would draft a QB in the first two rounds. If the talent is there, I expect them to. and at least 5 teams who I think COULD draft a QB in the first two days. That's almost half the league.

If I'm a guy like Sanders, I'm coming out.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Appreciate that work and I think you're pretty spot on. I think Seattle could still draft someone too. That being said QB is always in high demand in the NFL. They'd all get drafted fairly early, sure, but my point is for some of these guys that aren't likely top 5-10 picks this year is it more lucrative to come out next year? I think the answer to that question is yes.

Sanders doesn't need the money, but does he want to stay with his Dad another year at Colorado and build on what they've accomplished there?

I think some of these guys end up staying in school.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Great list @Snake. I agree with them all and I also agree with @Grahamburn that Seattle might take a look into the future depending on how Geno pans out this season.

As far as the Niners, Shanahan is very Gruden-esq in his approach to QBs. He ain't loyal. If you can't get him where he needs to get, he has no issues finding someone who can. The cycle you mentioned is exactly what happened with Jimmy G. There was a limit to how far they could get with him because he didn't have the ability to put a game on his shoulders. So they traded up for Trey Lance and we all know what happened. If Purdy turns out to be Garoppolo then that cycle will repeat itsself.
Most hated man in America.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Snake wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:48 am Williams
Maye
Nix
Penix
Daniels
Sanders
Ewers
McCarthy
Pratt
Leonard

That's a lot of talent right there.

If we're talking Day 2, I cross off the above as surely gone. I think someone might go for Leonard, too, and if not in Round 1, probably before us in 2.

Without going outside of your starting list, that leaves a reasonably-likely group of Daniels, Sanders, Ewers, McCarthy, and Pratt.

From there, it will depend on our coaching situation. Pocket passer type? McCarthy all day. Dual threat type? Daniels or Sanders, with a lean toward Daniels for me.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Cheb

Post by Cheb »

There still too many factors at play for me to give a good answer to this question, most importantly who declares for the upcoming draft. Per CBS Sports's current list of potential draftees of their top 150 prospects, only 5 of the 14 quarterbacks listed are seniors who are guaranteed to be in the draft class; Michael Penix, Bo Nix, Jayden Daniels, Spencer Rattler, and Jordan Davis.

But in the interest of driving discussion, let's assume that everyone declares for the draft who can. Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are stone cold locks to be gone in the top 10 if not top 5.

After that, the discussion gets interesting. I think that Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix, Michael Penix, and JJ McCarthy all have decent shots of being first round selections, though folks could reasonably argue against them for one reason or another. I give Shadeur Sanders an outside shot of being in that group as well (though for what it's worth I wouldn't draft him in the first and think Sanders should return for his senior year). After those guys are gone, we are looking at Quinn Ewers, Riley Leonard, and some dude named Michael Pratt outta Tulane I guess.

Personally, if we have to draft a day 2 QB, I'd take the guy who fell outta the first round from that Daniels-Nix-Penix-McCarthy group. If none of them make it to our spot in the second round... hmm. I'd don't know if I'd reach for Sanders. Ewers has made noises about returning next season, but I like his game.

Maybe wait for a QB later in the draft? I don't know.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I like Cheb's perspective. Accurate.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:59 pm There still too many factors at play for me to give a good answer to this question, most importantly who declares for the upcoming draft. Per CBS Sports's current list of potential draftees of their top 150 prospects, only 5 of the 14 quarterbacks listed are seniors who are guaranteed to be in the draft class; Michael Penix, Bo Nix, Jayden Daniels, Spencer Rattler, and Jordan Davis.

But in the interest of driving discussion, let's assume that everyone declares for the draft who can. Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are stone cold locks to be gone in the top 10 if not top 5.

After that, the discussion gets interesting. I think that Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix, Michael Penix, and JJ McCarthy all have decent shots of being first round selections, though folks could reasonably argue against them for one reason or another. I give Shadeur Sanders an outside shot of being in that group as well (though for what it's worth I wouldn't draft him in the first and think Sanders should return for his senior year). After those guys are gone, we are looking at Quinn Ewers, Riley Leonard, and some dude named Michael Pratt outta Tulane I guess.

Personally, if we have to draft a day 2 QB, I'd take the guy who fell outta the first round from that Daniels-Nix-Penix-McCarthy group. If none of them make it to our spot in the second round... hmm. I'd don't know if I'd reach for Sanders. Ewers has made noises about returning next season, but I like his game.

Did you mean Jordan Travis
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:06 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:59 pm There still too many factors at play for me to give a good answer to this question, most importantly who declares for the upcoming draft. Per CBS Sports's current list of potential draftees of their top 150 prospects, only 5 of the 14 quarterbacks listed are seniors who are guaranteed to be in the draft class; Michael Penix, Bo Nix, Jayden Daniels, Spencer Rattler, and Jordan Davis.

Did you mean Jordan Travis
Good catch, my mistake.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Jordan Travis is NOT an NFL QB.. hell of a player though
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Noles1724 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:54 pm Jordan Travis is NOT an NFL QB.. hell of a player though
Given the state of our quarterback room, I'd love to hear your thoughts on him as a prospect and player, good and/or bad.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Cheb wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:21 am
Noles1724 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:54 pm Jordan Travis is NOT an NFL QB.. hell of a player though
Given the state of our quarterback room, I'd love to hear your thoughts on him as a prospect and player, good and/or bad.
He's a great leader and a tough SOB that is the reason for many of his scramble 'big' plays. Throws decent enough but I've never seen a 'wow' throw. I think sometimes he tries to keep a play alive sometimes that I could see turning out bad just as much as being a great.

If I was to give an overall view, he's closer to be a backyard-run-around QB and not so much a go-through-reads QB. His toughness/competitiveness will result in injuries and bad decision with some big plays sprinkled in.

Not to mention he is throwing to a bona fide NFL caliber WR in Coleman (he's going to be special), and a poor mans Mike Evans (in every facet.. even drops easy passes), a TE (Jaheim Bell, he's gonna be really good too) that is a man playing against boys against any LB/S. Sprinkle in an above average RB(s).. and you can see that his job is made a lot easier and contributes to his solid numbers.

I also think Norvell's play calling does him a lot of favors.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Noles1724 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:01 pm

He's a great leader and a tough SOB that is the reason for many of his scramble 'big' plays. Throws decent enough but I've never seen a 'wow' throw. I think sometimes he tries to keep a play alive sometimes that I could see turning out bad just as much as being a great.

If I was to give an overall view, he's closer to be a backyard-run-around QB and not so much a go-through-reads QB. His toughness/competitiveness will result in injuries and bad decision with some big plays sprinkled in.

Not to mention he is throwing to a bona fide NFL caliber WR in Coleman (he's going to be special), and a poor mans Mike Evans (in every facet.. even drops easy passes), a TE (Jaheim Bell, he's gonna be really good too) that is a man playing against boys against any LB/S. Sprinkle in an above average RB(s).. and you can see that his job is made a lot easier and contributes to his solid numbers.

Thanks for the input. Appreciated.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Noles1724 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:01 pm

Felt awful for him last night, but they didn't seem to miss a beat with Runnamucker in there. Granted, competition.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Feel bad for the kid.. he deserved better for his last home game.. shame
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Who would be your top 2 from that group of possible fallers?

I like Sanders in the second. I think he's got room to grow and could benefit from another year, sure. And I'm usually very old school, slow dev mindset. But Sanders has the talent to be able to play and compete now while learning and developing live. And I'd rather get him one year early than not at all.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Noles1724 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:22 pm Feel bad for the kid.. he deserved better for his last home game.. shame
He's had an amazing career and developed so much since he came in. He broke the school record for all purpose touchdowns. It's really sad to see him go out the way he did. This is also gonna hurt his draft stock.

That being said, next man up. Tate has been in this system four years and is proven quite capable. And Glenn looks like he's got some wheels, not to mention a bazooka for an arm.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:13 pm Who would be your top 2 from that group of possible fallers?

I like Sanders in the second. I think he's got room to grow and could benefit from another year, sure. And I'm usually very old school, slow dev mindset. But Sanders has the talent to be able to play and compete now while learning and developing live. And I'd rather get him one year early than not at all.
He has that hold the ball too long syndrome.

Nix or Daniels if they fall that far would be my choices.