All 22 vs Titans; Defense

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Nobody

All 22 vs Titans; Defense

Post by Nobody »

Going to just go over the calls as I'm curious if we gameplanned noticeably differently in this one on D. Going to C/P the drive scripts and note the following:

1) # of rushers (eg 4 or 5/6 if we blitz)

2) If we exchange a typical pass rusher for coverage player (eg MLB for OLB)

3) Coverage call. Below will be the key:

MQ: Match Quarters
6: Combo 2 Zone and Match Quarters
3: 3 Zone
2: 2 Zone
2MU: 2 Man Under
1MU: 1 Man Free
0: Man w/ no Safety help (full blitz)

I'll note "C" if we Cloud or "GD" if we play White Green Dog to cover a back or add-on in pass rush if the RB stays in (we played this a lot from 19/20, but White screwed this up enough that we cut back on it significantly...along with how much we cut back on Man coverage generally).

-------------------

Best performances:

VEA: 5 Pressures, 2 Stops (Tackle at or behind the LoS)

BARRETT: 4 Pressures, 2 Stops

KANCEY: 2 Pressures, 3 Stops

DIABY: 3 Pressures, 2 Stops

NELSON: 1 Pressure, 2 Stops (in only 23 total snaps)

LVD: 2 Stops, 2 Completions for only 2 Yards against 5 Targets, 1 PBU, 1 FI (Forced Incompletion)

MCCOLLUM: 3 Completions for only 28 Yards against 8 Targets, 1 PBU, 1 FI

DEAN: 3 Completions for only 35 Yards against 6 Targets, 2 FI

WINFIELD: 3 Pressures, 0 Receptions on 1 Target, 1 Int
Nobody

Re: All 22 vs Titans; Defense

Post by Nobody »

DRIVE 1

1st & 10 at TEN 25
(15:00 - 1st) W.Levis pass short left to D.Hopkins to TEN 40 for 15 yards (R.Neal).

5 (Winfield)
3Z

2nd & 12 at TB 47
(13:11 - 1st) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short left to C.Moore to TB 36 for 11 yards (L.David; A.Winfield).

2Z

1st & 5 at TB 29
(12:00 - 1st) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short right to N.Westbrook-Ikhine to TB 20 for 9 yards (C.Izien, D.White).

5 (Izien)
3Z

2nd & 9 at TB 19
(10:39 - 1st) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short middle to J.Whyle to TB 9 for 10 yards (A.Winfield).

5 (both OLB)
1M

2nd & 11 at TB 11
(9:18 - 1st) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass incomplete short left to J.Whyle.

6Z

3rd & Goal at TB 11
(9:14 - 1st) (Shotgun) W.Levis sacked at TB 20 for -9 yards (V.Vea).

2M

+++++++++++++

DRIVE 2

2nd & 12 at TEN 15
(4:25 - 1st) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short right to C.Okonkwo to TEN 19 for 4 yards (A.Nelson; M.Greene).

5 (both OLB)
1M

3rd & 8 at TEN 19
(3:41 - 1st) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short right to K.Philips to TEN 28 for 9 yards (Z.McCollum) [Y.Diaby].

6 (White and LVD comes on Green Dog)
1MF

1st & 10 at TEN 28
(2:54 - 1st) W.Levis sacked at TEN 18 for -10 yards (S.Barrett).

3Z (LVD running high Hole like Tampa 2)

3rd & 18 at TEN 20
(1:30 - 1st) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short right to T.Spears to TEN 26 for 6 yards (M.Watts).

6Z

+++++++++++++

DRIVE 3

2nd & 6 at TB 37
(14:08 - 2nd) W.Levis sacked at TB 43 for -6 yards (D.White).

5 (replace White and Barrett w/ Barrett on Green Dog rules; he adds on at TE pass set)
1MF

3rd & 12 at TB 43
(13:24 - 2nd) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short right to C.Moore to TB 33 for 10 yards (Z.McCollum).

5 (White on Green Dog adds on)
2M

+++++++++++++

DRIVE 4

2nd & 12 at TEN 22

(9:39 - 2nd) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass incomplete short middle to T.Spears (D.White).

6 (Winfield and White)
2 Read vs Trips side and 2 Zone vs Doubles

3rd & 12 at TEN 22
(9:35 - 2nd) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short right to C.Okonkwo to TEN 30 for 8 yards (A.Nelson; Z.McCollum).

6 (one of LVD and White appear to be bracketing the RB on simultaneous Green Dog rules...both kind-of add-on)
2Z (w/ Winfield playing Tampa 2 High Hole)

++++++++++++++++++++

After four drives, there are two easy observations against our trends on defense:

* We played a much higher frequency of Man in the first four drives.

* We deployed Green Dog add-on rules a lot more than we have been.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

DRIVE 5

1st & 10 at TEN 25
(5:39 - 2nd) W.Levis pass incomplete short left to N.Westbrook-Ikhine.

5 (4 iDL w/ 1 x OLB)
This is a weird one because its max protect play-action with only 2 in the route. It starts to look like 3 Zone w/ both boundary CBs retreating to deep 1/3 but without vert challenge on both sides. However, Winfield vacates mid-deep 1/3 pretty early (though not immediately) so that makes it look like its an inverted 2 Zone w/ the CBs having deep halves and the Safety playing a kind of Robber Hole/Seam look. There isn't any kind of 4 deep possibility so I don't see Match Quarters here. I think I'm going to go with inverted 2 Zone (we used to play that a lot but haven't recently).

3rd & 6 at TEN 29
(4:53 - 2nd) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass incomplete short right to C.Okonkwo [C.Izien].

5 (Replace Barrett w/ LVD and Izien)
Match Quarters

DRIVE 6: Salt away end of 1st half.

DRIVE 7

1st & 10 at TEN 25
(10:42 - 3rd) W.Levis pass incomplete deep right to N.Westbrook-Ikhine.

5 (LVD add-on in Green Dog)
2 Man

3rd & 4 at TEN 31
(9:52 - 3rd) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short right to T.Spears to TEN 46 for 15 yards (A.Winfield).

5 (both OLBs)
3 Zone

1st & 10 at TEN 46
(9:12 - 3rd) W.Levis pass short left to D.Henry to TEN 42 for -4 yards (L.David).

5 (White add-on in Green Dog)
2 Man

3rd & 11 at TEN 45
(7:44 - 3rd) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass incomplete short middle to C.Moore (L.David).

6 (White and Izien)
3 Zone High Hole

DRIVE 8

1st & 10 at TEN 25
(2:46 - 3rd) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short left to D.Hopkins ran ob at TEN 32 for 7 yards.

3 Zone

2nd & 3 at TEN 32 (INCLUDING THIS PLAY BECAUSE THE PENALTY WASN'T RELEVANT TO THE PLAY OUTCOME)
(2:13 - 3rd) W.Levis sacked at TEN 32 for 0 yards (A.Nelson). PENALTY on TB-W.Gholston, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at TEN 32 - No Play.

2 Zone (w/ Neal and Delaney inverting Deep Half/Flat)

2nd & 2 at TB 40
(1:04 - 3rd) W.Levis pass incomplete deep left to D.Hopkins [D.White].

5 (White)
1 Man

3rd & 2 at TB 40
(0:58 - 3rd) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short left to T.Spears to TB 27 for 13 yards (A.Winfield).

5 (LVD)
1 Man

This is the Quad left play where (a) White had RB responsibility, (b) was out of position pre-snap and LVD communicated to him to get out on the boundary and cover the RB, (c) White started over there and then inexplicably signaled to (who knows) to get out on the boundary, and then (d) White...added-on in pass rush...leaving the RB completely uncovered.

2nd & 9 at TB 26
(15:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short right to D.Hopkins ran ob at TB 21 for 5 yards.

5 (Winfield)
3 Zone

3rd & 4 at TB 21
(14:31 - 4th) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass short left to C.Okonkwo pushed ob at TB 6 for 15 yards (J.Dean).

5 (LVD and White replace Diaby)
Combo Coverage 6 (Match Trips and 2 Read Doubles)

1st & 6 at TB 6
(13:51 - 4th) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass incomplete short middle to C.Okonkwo.

6 Zone

3rd & 9 at TB 9
(13:02 - 4th) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass incomplete short right to K.Philips.

2 Man
Last edited by Nobody on Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Would you say Man is a better coverage for the guys we have?
Most hated man in America.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Bootz wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:23 pm Would you say Man is a better coverage for the guys we have?
Without a doubt. Individually its a no-brainer, but we're also collectively better because we can hide Devin's worst play (Hole in 2 or 3 zone, interior defender in Match Quarters, Hook/Seam on 2 or 3 if we bring an extra) and let him either (a) cover a RB on a simple Flare/Swing/Out (which he can do just fine...just don't match him up against the Kamaras and McCaffreys of the world and the full RB route tree) and (b) assign him to Green Dogs.

(b) has been a problem because he's been too keen to add on in pass rush and teams have taken advantage of that by faking RB staying in to block and then generating big gains on RB checkdowns as Devin has left his priority assignment (covering the RB if they run a route). Honestly, I think that particular issue and a few other big play losses in Man (or games...like the Chiefs game where we foolishly had CD3 covering Tyreek Hill on an island with no help over top) have led to a bit of cautionary "turtling" in our back 7 calls.

But net? We are a very good back 7 when we play man holistically (all the parts together) and individually its not close. I don't have enough on Neal or Izien to give a grade to either, but I'm comfortable with everyone else to grade them in both individually in coverage:

LVD

Man: A
Zone: B+

WHITE

Man: C
Zone: F

CD3

Man: B+
Zone: C

DEAN

Man: B+
Zone: C

DELANEY

Man: B-
Zone: D

WINFIELD

Man: C
Zone: A

+++++++++++++++++

The only player who is a worse Man defender is Winfield...and he would be doing what he does best when we're in Man (playing single high or deep half and finding the football).

I really can't emphasize just how poorly our interior defense can be in Zone or when adjudicating and communicating and handing off Match Quarters/Read assignments in real time. Devin is one of the worst interior Zone defenders I've seen start for a football team for 5 years in a row in memory. It looks like he has absolutely no idea what he should be doing virtually all the time. Its like whatever film study he does is useless. He has no intuitive grasp of what the concept side of a pass play is going to be coming with on a given down and distance (veteran players, hell even year 2 players, should have some sixth sense of this based on good film study and general football IQ...you see none o that from Devin even in year 5) or what that is going to be trying to accomplish if it is indeed coming. He is perpetually covering grass, not playing to leverage or potential routes from various formations/distances, while routes are just running free with separation all around him.

Its really staggering. Even in this game where some folks thought he played well. If we weren't getting pressure and/or we had better QBing against us, he would have gotten lit up (and he did a few times).

CD3 and Dean are both just average corners in Zone. Delaney is clearly much worse in Zone (again, an interior defender).

And we are just not very good against the quick game in Zone due to a number of reasons (often alignment and leverage by individuals or pairs of defenders).

And, lastly, as mentioned above, we just don't process and communicate well enough in the 4 side of Cover 6 outside of Redzone Tight and teams seem to have our 20 to 20 tendencies of calling Match Quarters pretty well figured because we tend to see a lot of concepts that really put Match Quarters under duress.
Last edited by Nobody on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I know you have a long way to go with your excellent analysis. I would love to get a breakdown of Watts' performance. Every time I saw a #58 jersey, he was flying to the QB in a hurry after the snap.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Jonny wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:20 pm I know you have a long way to go with your excellent analysis. I would love to get a breakdown of Watts' performance. Every time I saw a #58 jersey, he was flying to the QB in a hurry after the snap.
11 Snap
6 Pass Rush
5 Coverage

* He was very effective in Pass Rush 2 Pressures including a Hit. Showed enough juice, explosiveness, violence, and motor in those limited looks.

* Did his job fine in coverage. Didn't see a snap in Man. It was all Flat/Hook in Zone. Not a fish out of water but nothing remarkable.

You could also look at this as Coach Bowles' personnel package deployment being spot-on. Likely they don't want Watts fitting the run and every time he was deployed, it was a passing play called.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Good thing the Titans offense was so bad. Their O'line is worse than the Bucs.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

GreatTimes wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:47 pm Good thing the Titans offense was so bad. Their O'line is worse than the Bucs.
Derrick Henry has looked like a mortal behind that line this season. I don't think Henry has lost a step. When he gains some momentum, he starts to generate extra yards on his own where his O-line is not involved.

That is why I have come to terms with White's performance. We may have been unfairly asking too much from White all this time and we may have been unfairly asking too much from Baker on his JAG contract to carry weight of an offense with no threat or ability to run the ball. Both Baker and White miss on opportunities from time to time, but we can certainly do a lot worse than them.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

YaYa definitely flashing a bit. Kancey too. You love to see it.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

speaking of Kancey.. watching this currently

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

DRIVE 9

1st & 10 at TEN 25
(7:01 - 4th) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass incomplete deep left to D.Hopkins.

5 (Winfield)
6 (2 Read over single and Match Quarters over Trips)

2nd & 10 at TEN 25
(6:56 - 4th) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass deep right to K.Philips ran ob at TEN 48 for 23 yards.

6 (Winfield, Gill, White in Green Dog adds on)
This was a bust so its a hair more difficult to tell exactly what it was. However, its almost surely 1 Man (most likely given the blitz and Green Dog) and the # 2 WR was entirely turned loose by Izien or it was (as above) MQ over Trips and Izien failed to match the vert of #2. Coverage looks the same both ways (but 1 Man is almost a sure thing given the blitz and Green Dog...you don't play Cover 6 behind that). Regardless, the bust is on Izien.

1st & 10 at TEN 48
(6:32 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) W.Levis pass incomplete deep middle to N.Westbrook-Ikhine [C.Kancey].

5 (Izien)
Match Quarters

2nd & 10 at TEN 48
(6:29 - 4th) (Shotgun) W.Levis pass deep right INTERCEPTED by A.Winfield [M.Watts] at TB 30. A.Winfield to TEN 42 for 28 yards (A.Brewer; D.Radunz).

6 (2 Read over Single and Match Quarters over Trips)

+++++++++++++++++++

Alright, I've looked at all of the drives (including the last two that I'm not writing up). It is pretty much what it looks like and what should have been expected after the comments that were made by Coach Bowles and the team about simplifying/back to basics/etc:

* Much higher % of Man on the back 7 than we've been playing.

* And with the above, the return of Green Dog principles for ILBs and White in particular.

* Reduced coverage rotations/inversions and rotations/inversions with blitz replacers (eg Nickel coming one side w/ OLB rotating to Flat other side and playing 2 or 3 zone and/or Cloud behind it).

Will be interesting to see if that theme remains vs 9ers. 9ers schematically run an abundance of concepts that put serious pressure on Man coverage packages so alignment and communication on the back end to deal with rubs and misdirection will be huge if we play Man this much again next week.

And White's propensity to mistakenly add-on in pass rush when in Green Dog with McCaffrey back there? That could go very badly.

My guess is we at least don't see this much Green Dog this week against the 9ers, but I'd also suspect our Man coverage might go right back to the reduced role its been at.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Nobody

I hope in the future you look into our future opponents to see the best way we can attack them. Kinda makes more sense to me.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:04 pm @Nobody

I hope in the future you look into our future opponents to see the best way we can attack them. Kinda makes more sense to me.
I'm not on anybody's payroll so I just look at what seems interesting to me at the time as this is totally a leisure pursuit!

But when it comes to defending the 49ers, its tough, but here is how people have had success.

* Get lucky with injuries to their skill players or their QB!

* Have pass rushers that dominate (Hendrickson, Reader, Hunter, Garrett) so you don't have to blitz.

* Disrupt their route combinations, be disciplined against all of their misdirection, play good leverage and communicate well against all of their rubs and boots and routes under the formation.

* The boundary players need to be heady and physical to win against the abundance of Screen looks they'll get.

NET: That adds up to being a great Zone and Match Quarters team with high IQ players generally + physical, aggressive, sure-tackling boundary players and Spill ILBs + have a dominating pass rusher up front (basically our top 3 defense all time Bucs of yore would give these 49ers fits). And get lucky with injuries.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

In other words don’t be today’s Bucs! 😆
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Noles1724 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:20 am speaking of Kancey.. watching this currently

The YouTuber needs to learn how to pronounce, hyperbolic.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:39 pm
Noles1724 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:20 am speaking of Kancey.. watching this currently

The YouTuber needs to learn how to pronounce, hyperbolic.
If he pronounced it the way you're insinuating I don't even want to watch.
Most hated man in America.