Ichabod's Monday Analysis: Week 9

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
IchabodCrane84

Ichabod's Monday Analysis: Week 9

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

I’m breaking the rules Bucs fans. I’m talking about the Leaping Game. A defeat so unbelievable we pretend it doesn’t exist. Yesterday it’s sequel was released, the Reaping Game: You Reap What You Sow. Old players came back to haunt us. Our defensive philosophy backfired. That game was locked up on three different occasions, and we did the unfathomable because our “great” bend but don’t break defense finally broke. Tim Wansley didn’t want to reprise his role, but Carlton Davis happily stepped in for him. It was a must win, and this defense treated it like a must lose.

1.) Rachaad White is Tim Tebow. A good football player bad at his position.
2.) Cade Otton is season 5 of Arrested Development. A good makeup for the trainwreck that was season 4, but nothing like the original 3.
3.) MJ Stewart beats out Aaron Rodgers for the season’s fastest injury. I only bring this up because no one has used the word fast to describe MJ Stewart.
4.) Love Trey Palmer’s game. Draws pass interference penalties on balls he’s going to drop anyway.
5.) Do we have the money to re-sign Lavonte right now? I’ve got some names of players you can cut if needed.

Dislikes:
1.) Best offensive performance of the season complimented by the worst defensive performance of Todd Bowles’ tenure.
2.) CD3TDs and Ryan Neal not even waiting for third down to suck.
3.) I’m a fan of the expedited review, but at this point, I may start calling for expedited games. Life’s busy and I’ve got shit to do.
4.) Only the Bucs can turn an opponent losing their kicker into a positive for them.
5.) If there was ever a more appropriate time to fire Kieth Armstong, this is the game. How do you not take advantage of a single play with a back up kicker? Especially when the defense was giving as many opportunities as possible!
6.) The Bucs defense was so bad the players in coverage couldn’t even hold the receivers with success.
7.) You think you’re a fool for believing in this team? Remember Gholston decided last minute to re-sign.

Random:
1.) Mandalorian, Breaking Bad, and Buccaneer football. Bill Burr finds a way to make it into things I love.
2.) Land Clark calling holding penalties while going through puberty and his voice is cracking.

The ironic thing about this game is that you can’t put the loss on Baker Mayfield or the young offensive coordinator, but they’ll be gone next year because Todd Bowles is going to get fired. I’ve avoided criticizing him this year because I understand this wasn’t the year we were going to be any good. This is a rebuild and offense is getting better, but the team is getting worse. You don’t sink 80% of your draft capital into the defense, use your salary cap to re-sign defensive superstars and then allow a rookie quarterback to set records against you and pick apart your defense in forty seconds. If the defense needs rebuilt too, it’s not going to work out for Bowles. There is no scenario in which he is part of this now four-game losing streak and he gets to finish out his contract.
MJW

Re: Ichabod's Monday Analysis: Week 9

Post by MJW »

Gonna chime in with a positive: Kancey is going to be really, really good.

Enough of that. CD24 had a horrible game. It's funny. When a player on my kid's HS team is having a shitty game, the coach either sits him down (at least for a series or two) or adjusts the scheme to compensate. I guess this is good too.

On Ryan Neal - I remember people making a big deal about his PFF whatever score with the Seahawks. I watched what I could find of him there and this is exactly how he looked. Exactly. I would very much like to know the "science" behind PFF suggesting he's a good football player.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

We can still win the division.

:twisted:
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:13 am Gonna chime in with a positive: Kancey is going to be really, really good.

Enough of that. CD24 had a horrible game. It's funny. When a player on my kid's HS team is having a shitty game, the coach either sits him down (at least for a series or two) or adjusts the scheme to compensate. I guess this is good too.

On Ryan Neal - I remember people making a big deal about his PFF whatever score with the Seahawks. I watched what I could find of him there and this is exactly how he looked. Exactly. I would very much like to know the "science" behind PFF suggesting he's a good football player.
Kancey and Vita will clog the middle any time when healthy. What they need is Edge rushers. Shaq is getting long in the tooth and JTS is proving to be a first round draft bust. They gave that punk ass rookie all the time in the world and he threw for 470 yards and 5 TDs, the last one coming on a 75 yard drive with 46 seconds on the clock. No excuse for this defense. Bowles has been at the helm for two franchises and has run them both into the ground. Fire his sorry ass!!!!
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Can the Bucs make QB Will Levis look like a world beater next week?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Even this thread is not making me feel good this morning. That is not a reflection on your effort. It is the result of Todd Bowles still being employed.
MRM

Post by MRM »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:56 am The ironic thing about this game is that you can’t put the loss on Baker Mayfield or the young offensive coordinator, but they’ll be gone next year because Todd Bowles is going to get fired. I’ve avoided criticizing him this year because I understand this wasn’t the year we were going to be any good. This is a rebuild and offense is getting better, but the team is getting worse. You don’t sink 80% of your draft capital into the defense, use your salary cap to re-sign defensive superstars and then allow a rookie quarterback to set records against you and pick apart your defense in forty seconds. If the defense needs rebuilt too, it’s not going to work out for Bowles. There is no scenario in which he is part of this now four-game losing streak and he gets to finish out his contract.
Nailed it. One of the biggest mistakes they made was letting Jordan Whitehead go via FA and resigning Carlton Davis. Should have been the other way around.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:13 am Gonna chime in with a positive: Kancey is going to be really, really good.

I'm a huge Kancey fan and have been very excited with his outings this season. But I think yesterday may have been one of the more underwhelming performances by him. He had some very positive plays such as the sack and TFL, but there were also many snaps where he got neutralized immediately and did not seem to be as relentless as he has been doing in other games. Especially on the last drive the entire D-line looked content to just appear as if they were rushing the passer. There was no sense of urgency or dare I say hustle to the way they were rushing.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I have many criticisms about our defensive play both yesterday and over the last four games generally. Kancey is not on the naughty list.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Kancey has had moments where he's looked very much like a rookie... which makes sense... he's a rookie.

I will agree that the entire front seems to just be content playing second fiddle support and everyone is just waiting for someone else to step up and be the super man.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:10 am I have many criticisms about our defensive play both yesterday and over the last four games generally. Kancey is not on the naughty list.

Did we invent the 2-4-5 when your really not 100% in on winning? Does Logan Hall's position have anyone that can perform in it?

Kancey 59 snaps 4 tackles
Vea 50 snaps 4 tackles
Gholston 29 snaps 0 tackles
Gaines 23 snaps 1 tackle
Greene 9 snaps 1 tackle

Barrett 56 snaps 3 tackles
Tryon 48 snaps 1 tackle
Nelson 24 snaps 1 tackle
Diaby 17 snaps 0 tackles

We don't know what to do on a lot of downs.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

FIRE THE SPECIAL TEAMS COACH AND THE HEAD COACH

I was hoping for some references to the move "Gone in 60 Seconds". That would be appropriate for the lead at we blew at the end and how soon Todd Bowles should have lasted after the game.......This Team is Digressing, that's a sign to end this regime and blow it up.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Opposing teams down a score with less than a minute to play: No problem, guys. We got this! On the bright side, I'd say this team has finally gained an identity as a team where no lead is safe.

On an even brighter side, I spent the entire afternoon yesterday out with my oldest daughter. Started with lunch, then did some shopping. It was a very pleasant day.
Don't tread on me
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Burn it to the ground. There is absolutely 0 excuse as to why Todd Bowles should be HC at this point.

It feels like we're entering the Lovie Smith era with Marcus Arroyo as OC and a defense that gets carved up like a Christmas turkey.

The team is regressing, the coach blames the players but doesn't seem to take responsibility himself. It's just bad all the way around.

If the Glazers are serious about wanting to establish and maintain a winning culture then they need to step in and show that this type of performance will not be tolerated.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

"If the Glazers are serious about wanting to establish and maintain a winning culture then they need to step in and show that this type of performance will not be tolerated."

The only thing the Glazers are serious about are making money as NFL team owners. Since most of the money the NFL makes is from TV rights which is equally distributed, losing teams make almost as much as winning teams.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:02 pm "If the Glazers are serious about wanting to establish and maintain a winning culture then they need to step in and show that this type of performance will not be tolerated."

The only thing the Glazers are serious about are making money as NFL team owners. Since most of the money the NFL makes is from TV rights which is equally distributed, losing teams make almost as much as winning teams.
How does this narrative still exist? The Glazers were so serious about winning that they are paying $75M to players not even on the fucking roster this year.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

Ryan Neal has a 40.9 PFF grade. PFF rated him as the worst player on the Bucs D against the Lions and Bills. They graded him under 60 every season besides last. How exactly does that suggest that he is a good football player? He had a completion percentage against at 50% and only 3.7 yards per target last year. A passer rating of 63.9. He had 8 passes defended, 2 FF, a sack and a pick. His season last year is not like his others. It was a fluke but his stats were decent. He is giving up a perfect passer rating this season. 96 completion percentage against. More than twice as many yards this season.17.4 yards per target. No take aways or passes defended. Has given up almost as many completions as he did all of last year with 300 less snaps. Claiming that "this is exactly how he looked. Exactly" last season can not backed up by any verifiable metrics. It would be almost impossible to find a player that is as bad as he has been this season.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Onthebrink wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:13 pm

Ryan Neal has a 40.9 PFF grade. PFF rated him as the worst player on the Bucs D against the Lions and Bills. They graded him under 60 every season besides last. How exactly does that suggest that he is a good football player? He had a completion percentage against at 50% and only 3.7 yards per target last year. A passer rating of 63.9. He had 8 passes defended, 2 FF, a sack and a pick. His season last year is not like his others. It was a fluke but his stats were decent. He is giving up a perfect passer rating this season. 96 completion percentage against. More than twice as many yards this season.17.4 yards per target. No take aways or passes defended. Has given up almost as many completions as he did all of last year with 300 less snaps. Claiming that "this is exactly how he looked. Exactly" last season can not backed up by any verifiable metrics. It would be almost impossible to find a player that is as bad as he has been this season.

If you want to drift towards draft targets you want then that is the guy you play.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

People always like to rely on their paid for analytics like PFF and Football Outsider and stuff when it fits what they are already saying then ignore it when it doesn't. Neal wasn't a star signing nor was he hyped as such, if anything it was a fight to consider him average. He was the Seahawks Mike Edwards type, the rotational guy that made the most of his moments. He has not done so here.
The Bowles system has a steep learning curve, sure, but you can only get so many opportunities to "get it" in live action before you need to go back to being rotational and letting someone else who gets it do the job. Maybe he looks great in practice but tries to do too much in game or just shrinks under the pressure, I don't know, but it doesn't really matter. You cannot keep being the guy who "failed your fundamental assignment" each time there is a big play, not in a team sport where you can tear down everyone else's hard work on just a couple of plays. It's time to give someone else a shot.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:21 pm
The Bowles system has a steep learning curve, sure, but you can only get so many opportunities to "get it" in live action before you need to go back to being rotational and letting someone else who gets it do the job. Maybe he looks great in practice but tries to do too much in game or just shrinks under the pressure, I don't know, but it doesn't really matter. You cannot keep being the guy who "failed your fundamental assignment" each time there is a big play, not in a team sport where you can tear down everyone else's hard work on just a couple of plays. It's time to give someone else a shot.
I would say the Bowles system sucks. Sucked in NY. Sucked in Tampa. It sucks.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I'm always leery of stats like these, but those are damning numbers.

I had read that we had benched Neal for third downs last game and put in Dee Delaney in his stead, which seems to have done well. The problem is that Neal gave up explosives on first and second down.

Yeesh.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

He's been guaranteed money for the opposing QB. It really seems like they look his way to get the matchup they want constantly. Always a day late and a dollar short. I think he led us in tackles vs Buffalo. That's because Josh Allen was completing passes like clockwork against him in coverage.

But does this staff hold him accountable? Nope. Business as usual.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:57 pm

I'm always leery of stats like these, but those are damning numbers.

I had read that we had benched Neal for third downs last game and put in Dee Delaney in his stead, which seems to have done well. The problem is that Neal gave up explosives on first and second down.

Yeesh.
Yup
First-down defense. They tried something new with their third-down defense Sunday by inserting Dee Delaney for Ryan Neal, but four of Stroud's five touchdown passes (14-, 75-, 29- and the 15-yard game winner) came on first down against the Buccaneers. -- Jenna Laine
Most hated man in America.