Next GM and Coach Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Next GM and Coach Tracker

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:37 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:09 pm

Your position on this has always been extremely weak at bes and is about to get weaker. The Texans went 3-13-1 yet picked 2nd behind the......Panthers, who went 7-10. They could have traded up if necessary.
So, win more meaningless games so you have to trade up using valuable assets to get the player you want?

Seems like a great idea.
Here's a great idea. Name me a team that's "tanked" or had a poor record to get their Franchise QB that has won the Superbowl with said guy.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:37 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:09 pm

Your position on this has always been extremely weak at bes and is about to get weaker. The Texans went 3-13-1 yet picked 2nd behind the......Panthers, who went 7-10. They could have traded up if necessary.
So, win more meaningless games so you have to trade up using valuable assets to get the player you want?

Seems like a great idea.
You win by playing better. Is that not what we're going for? Playing better football than we did the previous week? How is that meaningless?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Snake wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:40 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:39 pm

Oh right, so on top of tanking you need to do it with timeliness and not during the many stretches where there is no good QB, awhile ignoring 99% of scouts and personal who are telling you pretty much every draft that there is a franchise QB or two or three!

Yeah, I'm sure such a 4D Chess brilliant GM would totally survive until the right draft class finally came around and totally wouldn't be sacked before then....

Y'all have some wild fantasies.
Jason Licht might get to hire his 5th head coach. I’m sure he was given a 10-year-plan by ownership.
You are making the rational argument. But I'm afraid that if Bucs don't play with hustle and end up losing rest of the schedule, there will be a problem of a different magnitude that will be hard to address with just the draft alone. I don't think we would find good coaches and I don't think this team would comprise of high character individuals if they choose to suck going forward.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Maybe we can get Arians to finish the season. Is he even still around?
Don't tread on me
Max

Post by Max »

You have nobody but yourselves to blame for talking yourselves into this team.

No, Jason Licht won't be fired. He won a Super Bowl less than 3 years ago and made the Glazers hundreds of millions of dollars in the process. And neither should he.

We talked about this in the offseason. Everything this team did was telling you that we're not trying to win.

We were a 5-6 win team that ended up winning 8 games because of Brady's late-game heroics and made the playoffs because the division collectively crapped itself.

That 5-6 win team lost the best QB of all time, kept their bottom-tier HC, and spent a total of $10 million in free agency.

And now, that we surprisingly aren't winning a lot of games, we're calling for the GM's job...

Think again.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Max wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:03 pm You have nobody but yourselves to blame for talking yourselves into this team.

No, Jason Licht won't be fired. He won a Super Bowl less than 3 years ago and made the Glazers hundreds of millions of dollars in the process. And neither should he.

We talked about this in the offseason. Everything this team did was telling you that we're not trying to win.

We were a 5-6 win team that ended up winning 8 games because of Brady's late-game heroics and made the playoffs because the division collectively crapped itself.

That 5-6 win team lost the best QB of all time, kept their bottom-tier HC, and spent a total of $10 million in free agency.

And now, that we surprisingly aren't winning a lot of games, we're calling for the GM's job...

Think again.
The GM has kind of been average at drafting. There were the 2019 and 2020 off seasons where a lot of things came together in Bucs favor, including some amazing free agency finds like Brady, Shaq Barrett, Fournette and AB (Gronk was traded for) leading to our Superbowl run. But we are not one of those upper echelon franchises that reload year in and year out through draft. Licht isn't terrible, but after a decade of opportunities, we have to explore if we can do better.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

13F11B wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:30 pm
Phantom wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:22 pm Ben Johnson will be a hot name for a HC job this off-season. He’s perfect fit for the Chargers, unfortunately.. Jim Harbaugh anyone?
Torn on Harbaugh. On one hand the guy has had success. On the other hand he always seems to have a controversy with his teams.
I'd take Harbaugh in a second. He took over a 5-11 team and had them in the NFC title game the following year. He took the Niners to three consecutive NFC title games and a Super Bowl.

He will be available as I have a contact at Michigan State who is connected to a bunch of Big Ten schools and he says that there's a lot of smoke that Harbaugh is done there, no matter what Michigan does this season.

But, you'd have to let him hand pick his own GM.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

I think it would be great to have Harbaugh as a HC. To make that happen the Glazers will have to spend a lot of money to sign him.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:40 pm I think it would be great to have Harbaugh as a HC. To make that happen the Glazers will have to spend a lot of money to sign him.
I’m sure they don’t give a shit. They’re billionaires .
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'd love to bring Rich Bisaccia home.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:55 pm I'd love to bring Rich Bisaccia home.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Looking at this season... Bowles has made me wish Schiano was here.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:02 pm Maybe we can get Arians to finish the season. Is he even still around?
That’s a good question.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Phantom wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 pm You gotta remember Glazers like the big name and the splash hire.
Except for Bowles, or Keotter. Or Dungy for that matter.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Crazy thought, if BB leaves the Patriots....do we take a look?

I am just thinking about the potential hilarity of having Brady AND Hoodie come here and win a title separately.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Terry Tate wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:58 am Crazy thought, if BB leaves the Patriots....do we take a look?

I am just thinking about the potential hilarity of having Brady AND Hoodie come here and win a title separately.
I think he eyes a team with better potential to win now. Chargers make sense.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Terry Tate wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:55 am
Phantom wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 pm You gotta remember Glazers like the big name and the splash hire.
Or Schiano. Or Morris.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:32 am
Terry Tate wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:55 am

Or Schiano. Or Morris.
A lot of those guys (not all, of course) were hired after the "big name" turned them down.
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:35 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:32 am

Or Schiano. Or Morris.
A lot of those guys (not all, of course) were hired after the "big name" turned them down.
Yup, exactly.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

People really gonna be mad when we win the division. Meanwhile jet fans tearing Saleh apart for not doing more to make the playoffs this year. Fascinating.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Ah, Doctor at his finest.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:55 pm People really gonna be mad when we win the division. Meanwhile jet fans tearing Saleh apart for not doing more to make the playoffs this year. Fascinating.
Just remember that winning the division was and is the best possible outcome for this team.

It was never division or bust.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:55 pm People really gonna be mad when we win the division. Meanwhile jet fans tearing Saleh apart for not doing more to make the playoffs this year. Fascinating.
What makes you think this team can win the division?
The defense that has been getting worse over the course of the last year and a half?
The inconsistent offense
The poor coaching evidenced by terrible clock management?
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

13F11B wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:58 am
What makes you think this team can win the division?
The defense that has been getting worse over the course of the last year and a half?
The inconsistent offense
The poor coaching evidenced by terrible clock management?
The Saints are improving since the season started while the Bucs are getting worse. Hard to be optimistic for the Bucs winning the NFCS when they are on a 4 game losing streak.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

I'm in agreement that winning the NFC South may be tough because the Saints look like they have a better shot at it and the Bucs at the moment just aren't playing that well. However, when it comes to the conclusion the board seems to have reached that the HC and GM need to be or will be replaced, I think it is premature. With the schedule for the Bucs appearing reasonably easy and a number of winable games...perhaps enough to get to 7 to 9 wins....I don't think the HC or GM are replaced should that happen.

Now...if the opposite happens and the team does fall apart including losses to the Panthers...its a completely different ballgame.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

13F11B wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 pm
Except when they hired Bowels.
They didn't "hire" Bowles. He was handed to them.
Push the damned button already!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

IronDog wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:22 pm
13F11B wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 pm

Except when they hired Bowels.
They had to choose between Arians or Brady+Bowles. They chose Brady. Bowles was tagalong collateral damage.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:46 pm
IronDog wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:22 pm

They had to choose between Arians or Brady+Bowles. They chose Brady. Bowles was tagalong collateral damage.
That was denied by everyone involved from Brady to the Glazers
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:50 pm

Believe what you want. Tom announced his return on March 13th. Arians retired on March 31st.

This article is from June 2022:

I Probably Would Still Be Coaching if Tom Brady Hadn't Come Out of Retirement

We can choose to believe he wanted to set Todd up with a great QB situation for his second go as a head coach, but I don't buy that for a second. I 100% believe a condition of Tom's return was Bruce stepping away.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

We're really going to believe Tom Brady was going to be ok with a head coaching change going into his last professional season if he didn't know about it?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

When has that ever stopped conspiracy theorists?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:11 pm
When has that ever stopped conspiracy theorists?
The fact they publicly deny it just makes me believe it more.
Snake

Post by Snake »

So Arians retired, and continued to get his entire HC paycheck while hanging out in the owners suite….for no reason.

Those are some really nice billionaires.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Four Verticals wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:45 am I'm in agreement that winning the NFC South may be tough because the Saints look like they have a better shot at it and the Bucs at the moment just aren't playing that well. However, when it comes to the conclusion the board seems to have reached that the HC and GM need to be or will be replaced, I think it is premature. With the schedule for the Bucs appearing reasonably easy and a number of winable games...perhaps enough to get to 7 to 9 wins....I don't think the HC or GM are replaced should that happen.

Now...if the opposite happens and the team does fall apart including losses to the Panthers...its a completely different ballgame.
The Bucs will do just enough for the rest of the season to preserve the Bowles/Mayfield future. But will still miss the playoffs.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Mayfield is on a cheap price it deal. If he has a future here it's because he would've earned it which I'm down for. But even then, unless he's incredible, it will likely be one with an easy out and we still draft a QB.