Next GM and Coach Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
13F11B

Next GM and Coach Tracker

Post by 13F11B »

Let's start looking at who will be the next GM and HC of the Buccaneers. Start building your list here.

I would like a solid offensive-minded coaches and a front office that can draft solid starters in rounds 1-4.
Jonny

Re: Next GM and Coach Tracker

Post by Jonny »

Lions OC is the obvious choice. No idea for GM. I agree that Licht needs to be replaced. Outside of O-linemen, his drafting leaves a lot to be desired.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Ben Johnson will be a hot name for a HC job this off-season. He’s perfect fit for the Chargers, unfortunately.. Jim Harbaugh anyone?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Phantom wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:22 pm Ben Johnson will be a hot name for a HC job this off-season. He’s perfect fit for the Chargers, unfortunately.. Jim Harbaugh anyone?
Torn on Harbaugh. On one hand the guy has had success. On the other hand he always seems to have a controversy with his teams.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You gotta remember Glazers like the big name and the splash hire.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Phantom wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 pm You gotta remember Glazers like the big name and the splash hire.
Except when they hired Bowels.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

13F11B wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 pm
Phantom wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 pm You gotta remember Glazers like the big name and the splash hire.
I thought Licht did? I could be wrong.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Phantom wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:32 pm
13F11B wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 pm

I thought Licht did? I could be wrong.
Semantics. Do you think Licht hired him w/o any input from the owners?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Less input from the Glazers the better
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:20 pm Less input from the Glazers the better
I prefer their choices over Arians.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:20 pm Less input from the Glazers the better
Who else will have input though? Unless Licht stays and Bowles goes, there’s nobody else in the building that could have a say.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I know it's a bit controversial, but my first interview for GM would be Ronde Barber. He knows defense, he loves this team, he lives locally. He has stayed involved with the game and with this team. I think he would bring a roughness and accountability as GM. Things he's said in passing as a commentator when discussing the Bucs have resonated with me. I'd give him a shot, for sure.

My first call for a head coach interview would be Josh Huepel, current head coach at Tennessee. I think he's the best offensive mind in college football, and I think his athletes consistently perform better than their objective talent levels. Could I lure Huepel away from his current gig, I don't know, but I would give it my damndest shot. I think that bringing in a guy like him could absolutely revitalize our offense, not only in the passing game which he's best known for but also in the run game.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Cheb wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:46 pm I know it's a bit controversial, but my first interview for GM would be Ronde Barber. He knows defense, he loves this team, he lives locally. He has stayed involved with the game and with this team. I think he would bring a roughness and accountability as GM. Things he's said in passing as a commentator when discussing the Bucs have resonated with me. I'd give him a shot, for sure.

My first call for a head coach interview would be Josh Huepel, current head coach at Tennessee. I think he's the best offensive mind in college football, and I think his athletes consistently perform better than their objective talent levels. Could I lure Huepel away from his current gig, I don't know, but I would give it my damndest shot. I think that bringing in a guy like him could absolutely revitalize our offense, not only in the passing game which he's best known for but also in the run game.
Lynch certainly worked out for SF.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

GM, people might not be open to the idea of hiring in-house, but John Spytek could be a guy we look at. He's interviewed for GM spots around the league before and seems to have an idea on player personnel.

For HC, I'd also look to a familiar face. I don't know why we let Mike Caldwell out of the building instead of hiring him to be our DC. He's done an amazing job in Jacksonville in coaching and developing that defense.
Most hated man in America.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Cheb wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:46 pm I know it's a bit controversial, but my first interview for GM would be Ronde Barber. He knows defense, he loves this team, he lives locally. He has stayed involved with the game and with this team. I think he would bring a roughness and accountability as GM. Things he's said in passing as a commentator when discussing the Bucs have resonated with me. I'd give him a shot, for sure.

I like, except I saw Huepel coach UCF and he was trash.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

bucarican wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:44 pm

A 28-8 record and being in the top 25 every year for three years is trash?
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Cheb wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:58 pm
bucarican wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:44 pm

A 28-8 record and being in the top 25 every year for three years is trash?
U do know he played in the American and inherited a draft class from Scott Frost
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Ben Johnson for HC. Having the HC be the offensive system is paramount in today's NFL. He's made Goff look genuinely good under his scheme and play calling. He's young and is definitely in tune with the modern direction of offense and the game as a whole

GM: I'm doing my best to poach Alec Halaby, assistant GM for the Eagles. The Eagles have been winning the draft and roster management for years now and I'd like to have that in OBP. He's very analytics driven which is what the modern NFL requires.

This pairing gives us two young and in-touch leaders to run the team for what will hopefully me many years to come.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

I think the GM for the Bucs next season will be Jason Licht. I'm less sure on who the HC is but I don't think it's a given that it isn't Todd Bowles at this point.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Adam Peters, John Lynch's right hand guy since he took the job in San Fran, would be my first call for GM.

My first set of interviews would be Aaron Glenn and Ben Johnson from Detroit and Mike Macdonald from the Ravens. The guy I'd want winning the job is Ejiro Evero from the Panthers. Not only is he the last competent coach of the Denver Broncos, you read what people in the league have to say about him and he sounds he's built to be that guy.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW!! Welcome back!!
Kona

Post by Kona »

Licht was fortunate to have some Arizona ties and land Bruce for a few seasons, then Brady signing. Outside of those years this team is 37-67 under his watch. The SB/Brady era shine has worn off and we need someone else to right the ship.

Let the new GM pick the HC, preferably an offensive minded one. It’s an offensive league these days and if you have the system in place you don’t have to worry about your OC being poached year after year after some success.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kona wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:48 am Licht was fortunate to have some Arizona ties and land Bruce for a few seasons, then Brady signing. Outside of those years this team is 37-67 under his watch. The SB/Brady era shine has worn off and we need someone else to right the ship.

Let the new GM pick the HC, preferably an offensive minded one. It’s an offensive league these days and if you have the system in place you don’t have to worry about your OC being poached year after year after some success.
Even if you include those years, we're 69-85 under his watch in 9+ seasons. 6 of the 9 we've had losing records and in year 10 we are 3-5. It's time to move on but I doubt we do.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

College coaches who haven't had some prior time being an assistant coach in the NFL don't fare well as NFL head coaches.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Kona wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:48 am Licht was fortunate to have some Arizona ties and land Bruce for a few seasons, then Brady signing. Outside of those years this team is 37-67 under his watch. The SB/Brady era shine has worn off and we need someone else to right the ship.

I don't get this thinking. Instead of looking and seeing that you have one of the few GMs in the league who are capable of building a champion out of a loser, you rather be mad that "it took too long" or "the other years weren't great"?

Y'all do realize that the bulk of that record was a direct result of the Tank for a Savior strategy? We literally followed it to the letter, blew it up his first year here, got the first pick, drafted "the greatest prospect since Luck" and the result of the holy tactic is the very evidence people want to use AGAINST Licht to fire him and re-try the tactic all over again.

This is a mad house.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Tank for a savior works if you actually draft the savior.

Don’t fuck up the draft pick.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’m sure the Texans are really really mad that they went 3-13-1 instead of 5-12 last season.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:21 am Tank for a savior works if you actually draft the savior.

:lol: You're right, we should've drafted Mariota :j

Hindsight, the Tankaholics best friend. Except we already played this game and it doesn't work. Go over past draft classes and you see far more years where there just weren't any right answers.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:57 am
Snake wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:21 am Tank for a savior works if you actually draft the savior.

Hindsight, the Tankaholics best friend. Except we already played this game and it doesn't work. Go over past draft classes and you see far more years where there just weren't any right answers.
Or just don’t draft a QB if there aren’t any good ones?

Oh wait, you’re the guy who says teams MUST draft a QB #1 overall no matter what. Especially if they’re “consensus” #1 according to the….media?

LOL!!
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I’ve seen Harbaugh mentioned. He’s probably going to the Bears if he goes pro. He’s gonna want to go to a team with established qb situation. That sure as hell ain’t us.

Kellen Moore is going to be a popular name. Ron Rivera could be out there, too, if Wash moves on from him.

Outside of that, take your pick of coordinators. Jags DC, Jags OC, Eagles OC…heck, Todd Monken may be considered too.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

This sucks.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:32 am I’m sure the Texans are really really mad that they went 3-13-1 instead of 5-12 last season.
Your position on this has always been extremely weak at bes and is about to get weaker. The Texans went 3-13-1 yet picked 2nd behind the......Panthers, who went 7-10. They could have traded up if necessary.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:09 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:32 am I’m sure the Texans are really really mad that they went 3-13-1 instead of 5-12 last season.
Your position on this has always been extremely weak at bes and is about to get weaker. The Texans went 3-13-1 yet picked 2nd behind the......Panthers, who went 7-10. They could have traded up if necessary.
So, win more meaningless games so you have to trade up using valuable assets to get the player you want?

Seems like a great idea.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:44 am
Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:57 am

Oh wait, you’re the guy who says teams MUST draft a QB #1 overall no matter what. Especially if they’re “consensus” #1 according to the….media?

LOL!!
Oh right, so on top of tanking you need to do it with timeliness and not during the many stretches where there is no good QB, awhile ignoring 99% of scouts and personal who are telling you pretty much every draft that there is a franchise QB or two or three!

Yeah, I'm sure such a 4D Chess brilliant GM would totally survive until the right draft class finally came around and totally wouldn't be sacked before then....

Y'all have some wild fantasies.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:39 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:44 am

LOL!!
Oh right, so on top of tanking you need to do it with timeliness and not during the many stretches where there is no good QB, awhile ignoring 99% of scouts and personal who are telling you pretty much every draft that there is a franchise QB or two or three!

Yeah, I'm sure such a 4D Chess brilliant GM would totally survive until the right draft class finally came around and totally wouldn't be sacked before then....

Y'all have some wild fantasies.
Jason Licht might get to hire his 5th head coach. I’m sure he was given a 10-year-plan by ownership.