Is Baker truly a better option than Trask?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Is Baker truly a better option than Trask?

Post by Bootz »

Selmon Rules wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:48 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:50 am

People fooled themselves into thinking the 3 teams that let him walk in 2022 made mistakes. They fooled themselves into thinking this time would be different. That the last 5 years were a fluke. That 2020 was the "real" Baker Mayfield.

Not 1 person should be clutching their pearls at the facts that Baker is still inconsistent, gunshy, overall a subpar QB. This is no different than any other year with him.
I don't think you are wrong with this take but I also don't understand the point you are apparently trying to make that we shouldn't see what Trask can actually do in a real game situation.

If you believe Baker sucks or is middling at best, why not see what Trask is and end the guessing and predicting?? Actually find out??
I'm not one who needs to see the obvious. You walk into a place soaking wet, I don't need to look outside to know it's raining.

Everyone knows Trask sucks. Even his most vocal apologists struggle to give any positive attributes associated with his game. The absolutely best thing I've read here about him is "Bruce Arians compared him to Andrew Luck".

If the reason you think someone should start has nothing to do with what they can do and everything to do with what the other guy can't, then he shouldn't be given that handout.
Most hated man in America.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:05 pm
Selmon Rules wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:48 pm

I don't think you are wrong with this take but I also don't understand the point you are apparently trying to make that we shouldn't see what Trask can actually do in a real game situation.

If you believe Baker sucks or is middling at best, why not see what Trask is and end the guessing and predicting?? Actually find out??
I'm not one who needs to see the obvious. You walk into a place soaking wet, I don't need to look outside to know it's raining.

Everyone knows Trask sucks. Even his most vocal apologists struggle to give any positive attributes associated with his game. The absolutely best thing I've read here about him is "Bruce Arians compared him to Andrew Luck".

If the reason you think someone should start has nothing to do with what they can do and everything to do with what the other guy can't, then he shouldn't be given that handout.
I don't KNOW Trask sucks. But I strongly suspect he does. :D
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I did not watch much Florida football in 2020... how was Trask able to put up such impressive stats that year?
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Baker is a stopgap. And he's proving to be not a very good one. With no running game, DC's can tell their edge rushers to pin their ears back and go after him. His height gives him the ability to pull away from sacks. Unfortunately it also makes it easy for defenders to bat down his passes.

This offense needs a lot of work, so here's to hoping they go QB in round 1 and left tackle in round 2 and move Wirfs back to his natural right tackle position.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Baker is not a stopgap. He's just a gap. A huge gaping gap of gaping nothingness.
Don't tread on me
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Jonny wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:42 am
One thing that impressed me about Trask during this preseason was how often he was willing to attempt 10+, 20+ yard completions even behind a horrible horrible O-line that got pass rush in his face less than a second after snap. I also remember far fewer instances of Trask seeing someone getting open, having a stable platform to throw to, but choosing to hang on to the ball.
I am assuming we are talking about preseason. Trask had an okay game, a good game, and an okay game and because he threw it deep and did his job (stand in the pocket) against Amazon warehouse workers, you consider that reason enough to start him? Trask did that the last game. He knew he lost the job and he was suddenly not bold
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Ummmmm How did Brady do his first two years with the Patriots?
I said what I said

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

When does Bootz say pay the man to Trask?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You have got to be kidding me, MDB
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Phantom wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:33 pm You have got to be kidding me, MDB
Wouldnt really take much. Maybe four games. Shutout Frisco, beat up Bryce Young twice, then beat Hurts in the playoffs.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Rashaad White has already become the 15th highest running back pass catcher and if they continue on with him after my advisement Bootz will be saying pay the man.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:21 pm
One thing that impressed me about Trask during this preseason was how often he was willing to attempt 10+, 20+ yard completions even behind a horrible horrible O-line that got pass rush in his face less than a second after snap. I also remember far fewer instances of Trask seeing someone getting open, having a stable platform to throw to, but choosing to hang on to the ball.
I am assuming we are talking about preseason. Trask had an okay game, a good game, and an okay game and because he threw it deep and did his job (stand in the pocket) against Amazon warehouse workers, you consider that reason enough to start him? Trask did that the last game. He knew he lost the job and he was suddenly not bold
Too bad, that is our backup QB and our starting QB is starting to play like trash. You may not be impressed enough with Trask's performance in preseason, but there are some obvious repeated patterns of inept tendencies being exhibited by Baker.

Looking at your profile pic I'm assuming you are hoping Baker will turn into a franchise QB for the Bucs. It'd be great if he did, but how can a guy with clear limitations ever be anything more than average at best over a 17 game season? Heck, he was average even in his best season. Do you advise we sign Kaepernick who was actually great the year 49ers went to SB?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Has any Buc QB escaped sure sacks better than Mayfield - I'd say no.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

The thing with Baker is that he is likeable. He gives good interviews, he's a good team guy and the other players love the guy. It makes people want him to win.

That doesn't mean he can. I don't think he's been as bad as some here but it is clear he doesn't have the best vision or processor. If we were going to win with Baker, we would need a better run game and be able to coach around his flaws.

With what we have to work with, Trask may well be the better option. The thing is, I know absolutely nothing about Trask. I can't recall a single snap from him with the starters in. All I know is that I was pissed when we drafted a relatively unheralded QB instead of getting Creed Humphrey, I was advocating trading down from the first for him but I'd have been good with a trade up too since that's what we would have had to do.

That doesn't matter now, all that matters is we have Trask and we haven't seen him under live fire. It's time to put him in and see whats what. The only reason One Bucs should have to not do it is if they are dead certain Trask can't be the guy.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Babeinbucland wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:13 pm Ummmmm How did Brady do his first two years with the Patriots?
He was on the bench then won a Superbowl.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:37 am
Babeinbucland wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:13 pm Ummmmm How did Brady do his first two years with the Patriots?
Sounds like Brady and Trask's careers are lining up identical!!!!111eleven!!one!!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:21 am

Sounds like Brady and Trask's careers are lining up identical!!!!111eleven!!one!!
So you're saying Trask=Brady?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

At the same time Trask was getting protected against Amazon warehouse worked, right? Trask was throwing to Amazon warehouse workers, right.

Again, I am not saying that Trask is the second coming of Tom Brady or even Brock Purdy, but Baker is what Baker is. He got time to develop and grow. Trask has not. Trask may very well be wasted pick. If the organization has no hope of Trask ever being a starter then it was a wasted pick. If the organization has no hope of Trask ever being a starter then it does not matter who starts the rest of the season. If, however, there is any doubt as to what Trask can become then at some point the team should turn to Trask if Baker continues to be like Baker has been for most of his career.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:33 am

So you're saying Trask=Brady?
Subtlety is not lost on you, huh? Guess I should have made it blue for you?
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Sounds like Brady and Trask's careers are lining up identical
Lol not quite, but Brady didn’t come off the bench and win a Super Bowl either.

My point is that The patriots had no idea what they had. And neither do we with Trask. Am I saying he is Brady? Of course not. But Brady wasn’t Brady for a couple of years either.

So let’s find out who Trask actually is, since we know who Mayfield is.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... fjdvjr5zoh
I said what I said

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Babeinbucland wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:40 am

Sounds like Brady and Trask's careers are lining up identical
Lol not quite, but Brady didn’t come off the bench and win a Super Bowl either.

My point is that The patriots had no idea what they had. And neither do we with Trask. Am I saying he is Brady? Of course not. But Brady wasn’t Brady for a couple of years either.

So let’s find out who Trask actually is, since we know who Mayfield is.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... fjdvjr5zoh
Helluva story. Hellaua career.
Don't tread on me
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Jonny wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:49 pm There were many calling for benching of Mayfield going forward right after the Bills game ended (notably @Backside ) and I disagreed. I believed then that despite all his flaws, Baker is still the better option, citing his experience, moxie and improvisational ability.

As some time has passed, I am not as sure. One of the biggest problems with our offense the last three weeks has been staying on script and playing with rhythm. While rhythm has more to do with good play design and not committing dumb penalties, I feel like Baker himself contributes quite significantly to a lack of rhythm on offense.

His height seems to be a far bigger issue than I originally realized. He has way too many tipped passes, which could have been easy completions. His height also clearly affects his ability to see the field when the pocket is closing in on him. Baker unnecessarily seemed to run out of a clean pocket many times the last few weeks and by then the offensive play turns into backyard football.

Unlike the first few games, Baker also has become a lot more frantic, especially when we are trailing and a starting QB is expected to become poised. It was too apparent in yesterday's game that Baker was feeling pressure when it wasn't there and started developing some happy feet bringing down the ceiling of an already underperforming offense.

Finally, yet again there seem to be a myriad of plays where Baker simply doesn't hit his receiver at the right time and waits until defenders start to close-in on wide open receivers. Those watching the game will feel like all receivers have been covered, when that is moreso the case because Baker holds on to the ball way too long and is indecisive even when he sees open receivers.

Those of you that have closely watched Trask, do you see a scenario where Trask could run this offense with more efficiency and productivity? Early on in the year, I assumed pass blocking to be horrendous and dismissed the thought of Trask starting. But our O-line blocks really well and Trask looked pretty competent this preseason for the first time. Would we really get noticeably worse with Trask starting?
No, Mayfield is not the better "option". It may turn out that he's better than Trask, but that doesn't mean he's good. He's a below average QB that you can't win with. I think the better "option" is seeing what the second round draft pick can do.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Jonny wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:06 pm

Too bad, that is our backup QB and our starting QB is starting to play like trash. You may not be impressed enough with Trask's performance in preseason, but there are some obvious repeated patterns of inept tendencies being exhibited by Baker.

Looking at your profile pic I'm assuming you are hoping Baker will turn into a franchise QB for the Bucs. It'd be great if he did, but how can a guy with clear limitations ever be anything more than average at best over a 17 game season? Heck, he was average even in his best season. Do you advise we sign Kaepernick who was actually great the year 49ers went to SB?
I picked Mayfield as my profile pic as he is our starting QB. If our starting QB turns out to be Trask at some point, it will be Trask
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Terry Tate wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:06 am The thing with Baker is that he is likeable. He gives good interviews, he's a good team guy and the other players love the guy. It makes people want him to win.

That doesn't mean he can. I don't think he's been as bad as some here but it is clear he doesn't have the best vision or processor. If we were going to win with Baker, we would need a better run game and be able to coach around his flaws.

With what we have to work with, Trask may well be the better option. The thing is, I know absolutely nothing about Trask. I can't recall a single snap from him with the starters in. All I know is that I was pissed when we drafted a relatively unheralded QB instead of getting Creed Humphrey, I was advocating trading down from the first for him but I'd have been good with a trade up too since that's what we would have had to do.

That doesn't matter now, all that matters is we have Trask and we haven't seen him under live fire. It's time to put him in and see whats what. The only reason One Bucs should have to not do it is if they are dead certain Trask can't be the guy.
I think that every game that we lose and not put him in is clearly an indication they are dead certain. If we lose this game, and they still start Baker, yeah you have your answer
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

13F11B wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:41 am

At the same time Trask was getting protected against Amazon warehouse worked, right? Trask was throwing to Amazon warehouse workers, right.

Again, I am not saying that Trask is the second coming of Tom Brady or even Brock Purdy, but Baker is what Baker is. He got time to develop and grow. Trask has not. Trask may very well be wasted pick. If the organization has no hope of Trask ever being a starter then it was a wasted pick. If the organization has no hope of Trask ever being a starter then it does not matter who starts the rest of the season. If, however, there is any doubt as to what Trask can become then at some point the team should turn to Trask if Baker continues to be like Baker has been for most of his career.
Trask was statistically the worst of our three quarterbacks this preseason and the fact that you were impressed with him sounds like an agenda and not real praise. Every stat worse that Wolford

Wolford 66.7% completions 8.0 ypa 4.8% TD% 0.0% Int%
Trask 65.2% completion 7.3 ypa 2.9% TD% 1.4% Int%

Which one was stretching the field?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:44 pm
13F11B wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:41 am

Trask was statistically the worst of our three quarterbacks this preseason and the fact that you were impressed with him sounds like an agenda and not real praise. Every stat worse that Wolford

I did a word search for 'impressed' and did not find it. Perhaps you meant to respond to another poster?
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

One Cowboy can run, panics and misfires.
One Cowboy can’t run, can’t read or get a shot off.

Anybody else?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

13F11B wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:48 pm
kaimaru wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:44 pm

I did a word search for 'impressed' and did not find it. Perhaps you meant to respond to another poster?
Yes, you're right, @Jonny hence my stretching the field comment
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

TonyLip wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:24 pm One Cowboy can run, panics and misfires.
One Cowboy can’t run, can’t read or get a shot off.

Anybody else?
Sounds like the desperadoes are going to have a good day.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:29 pm
Terry Tate wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:06 am The thing with Baker is that he is likeable. He gives good interviews, he's a good team guy and the other players love the guy. It makes people want him to win.

I think that every game that we lose and not put him in is clearly an indication they are dead certain. If we lose this game, and they still start Baker, yeah you have your answer
Bowles isn't going to pull Baker for Trask. That would be admitting that he messed up signing and playing Mayfield.
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

Im a Browns fan and to this day I still love Mayfield. We suck as a franchise and I was happiest sucking with him (OOCA). He had a really good 20 game stretch with us (better than just about any QB we have had) and to me it seems like he is at his best when we rolled him out of the pocket or did play action with “layered” receivers.

Then Stefanski got too damn cute and tried to make him something he can never be …. A guy who can sit in the pocket and make reads and throw with anticipation in a complex scheme
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Baker has never been the better option
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:36 am Baker has never been the better option
The 2020 Browns would disagree with you
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:29 pm
Sdbucs wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:36 am Baker has never been the better option
The Browns might trade for him now. :-)
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

13F11B wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:49 am
kaimaru wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:29 pm

The Browns might trade for him now. :-)
Missed the trade deadline. A player can still be traded if that player goes through the waiver wire without any team claiming him on waivers.