Week 8 Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Four Verticals

Re: Week 8 Discussion

Post by Four Verticals »

Purdy isn't helping the last few weeks but the bigger concern for the Niners should be defensively. The first half yesterday was phenomenally bad and the Bengals should have had a lot more in terms of points than they did. Burrow's fantastic however there was little stress on him or the receivers and he was basically playing 7 on 7 in the first half. The Niners can't win with that against a good team.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:36 pm Purdy isn't helping the last few weeks but the bigger concern for the Niners should be defensively. The first half yesterday was phenomenally bad and the Bengals should have had a lot more in terms of points than they did. Burrow's fantastic however there was little stress on him or the receivers and he was basically playing 7 on 7 in the first half. The Niners can't win with that against a good team.
Sounds like the Buccaneers.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Brock Purdy was 10-0 in his first ten starts and was hyped beyond belief. Then as his team starts to get decimated by injury and his defense stumbles, he goes 0-3 and folks are ready to throw him in the scrap heap.

How quickly the tables turn.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:01 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:42 am

Anything you win would be more than what he's won.

QB play is not why the Niners have won. That's a strawman you've created. The Niners have won because of their elite Oline, defense, and run game.

Their QB play was always lacking. That's why they struggled without Jimmy G, who was mostly serviceable. But he could only do so much. That's why they spent a premium on Lance. But Shanahan didn't want to go that route, that was mostly Lynch. That's why when he got hurt again and Purdy showed he could run point of his system, they cut bait.

But as we're seeing there is still a limit. Under Shanahan anytime the QB has to do more, it doesn't turn out well. Purdy has to do more now without Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel and the defense not playing up to their standard and CMC being bothered still by that rib injury. That has amounted to 17ppg, 6 turnovers and 3 straight losses.

So in full context, this team goes as it's Oline and defense goes. Not the QB.
While I agree with the base of what you're saying, I'm not arguing that Jimmy G and/or Purdy are world beaters, rather, that Kyle has built a system to allow an anyman QB to thrive.
Jimmy G in his time in SF put up totals of 82 TDs, 42 INT, and 13,599 yards in 57 games. That comes out to 24 TDs, 12INT, 4,055 yards in a 17 game season.
Purdy, conveniently, has played in 17 regular season games. 25 TD, 9 INT, 3,407 Yards.
Again, nobody is campaigning to give those players MVP consideration, but the coach deserves credit for that system.
It's not good enough for the bigger picture. The bigger picture is winning championships. Plain and simple.

The Niners know this. February 2nd, 2020 they were playing in a Superbowl. April 29, 2021, 14 months later, they were trading 3 1sts & a 3rd to get a QB because they knew they weren't going any further with Jimmy G.

Lynch & Kyle deserve credit for building this roster. But their mindset is very old school. They are trying to win with a great Oline, defense, and run game. The difference has been their QBs get outplayed in the big games. A. This is not a QB centric system and B. The goal is to do more with less at QB for them. Kyle doesn't want an expensive QB running his offense.

So you can continue praising him for winning regular season games and mediocre stats from his QB position. But the fact remains he hasn't shown that this is good enough to win it all.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Purdy play looking similar to Tua's after his bonks. Just saying.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:11 pm Brock Purdy was 10-0 in his first ten starts and was hyped beyond belief. Then as his team starts to get decimated by injury and his defense stumbles, he goes 0-3 and folks are ready to throw him in the scrap heap.

How quickly the tables turn.

Film study catches up eventually.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:39 pm Purdy play looking similar to Tua's after his bonks. Just saying.
Speaking of Tua..

Purdy's 17 games thus far:
25 TDs, 9 INTs, 3407 yards

Tua in 2022 (13 games)
25 TDs, 8 INTs, 3548 yards
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Maxx Crosby might be my favorite NFL defensive player. The guy isn't as exceptional and athlete, but dominates games through pure will power.

I wish JTS had 1/10th of the fight Crosby had. Is it too early to call JTS a bust? Guy's useless if his first move is neutralized.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

LMAO!!! Jimmy G gonna Jimmy G!
Snake

Post by Snake »

Every time I see Jimmy G, I remember Edelman’s description of him. Something along the lines of, “Jimmy’s greatest asset is his biggest weakness. he is impervious to the pressure of being an NFL quarterback. he’s so naïve that he doesn’t really seem to understand it.”

Just a pretty boy going through life.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:35 pm Maxx Crosby might be my favorite NFL defensive player. The guy isn't as exceptional and athlete, but dominates games through pure will power.

I wish JTS had 1/10th of the fight Crosby had. Is it too early to call JTS a bust? Guy's useless if his first move is neutralized.
Crosby is keeping the Raiders in this game
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Sam LaPorta is a beast.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I forgot Dallas Clark used to play for the Bucs. haha

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sport ... 179795007/
wesmon

Post by wesmon »

The Lions helmets are cool, the uniforms are pretty terrible.

Why is Garoppolo still in the game?

Nice job Goff. At least someone can throw to the raiders
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The Lions offense has the talent but its depend on which Goff show up. Mostly good
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Bootz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:42 pm Joe Burrow is though.
Yep, this play against the 49ers shows it:

https://x.com/JoeGoodberry/status/17191 ... 58552?s=20

Hurts to see Cappa there, but Mauch has me hopeful. Side note, sure seems like Nick Bosa's holdout is affecting his play. Previous years I think he gets Burrow on this play.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Waiting for Bootz to make a new week 9 discussion thread

-
Anyway
Bears’ HC Matt Eberflus announced Tyson Bagent will start again Sunday at New Orleans while Justin Fields continues to be “week-to-week” with his dislocated right thumb.