Week 8 Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Week 8 Discussion

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:41 pm Yeah Purdy definitely aint it
Joe Burrow is though.
Most hated man in America.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Next week would be the perfect time for that shutout I've been calling for.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

What are you talking about?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Purdy will get healthy when he plays the Buccaneers.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The road to Super Bowl now runs through Philadelphia.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Donovan Smith sacks Mahomes.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Lol didn't realize.. too funny
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Doctor wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:12 pm Donovan Smith sacks Mahomes.
This?

https://x.com/thepewterplank/status/171 ... UWvIIdVFCw
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Phantom wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:53 pm What are you talking about?

Just that we are moving closer to the #1 scoring defense.

Tied for 3rd with Houston - so yeah, a shutout would be big.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Chiefs got their ass beat, and the commentators have to make excuses for their golden goose.

Fuck the league for being so up the ass of Kansas City. It was never this fucking bad with the Patriots...
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

So, the 49ers have lost 3 straight? God damn. Just like us!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The Cardinals recover an onside kick
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:29 pm So, the 49ers have lost 3 straight? God damn. Just like us!
They should try to get a top pick for a QB.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:39 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:29 pm So, the 49ers have lost 3 straight? God damn. Just like us!
Maybe they’ll smarten up and stop pretending Purdy is a good quarterback.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Just a reminder that the Niners gave up on a guy who had 100 career pass attempts but used 3 1sts & a 3rd to get because their HC would rather he be the reason they win than any top QB.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:44 pm
Doctor wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:39 pm

Kyle Shanahan is his father's son. But he's also learned a lot from the Grudens. He thinks he's a guru who can use any QB to operate his system.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Bears @ Chargers is the epitome of a market matchup. No reason this game shouldn't have been flexed
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

I really get annoyed with sideline convo/ stories.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

After seen Will Levis not give a damn and just Chunk it to Hopkins all day. I think Baker needs to take that same attitude with Evans and Godwin. Just chunk it.

Not to mention Tua with Hill. Everyone know he is going to get the ball, but they don't care.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

bucarican wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:07 pm After seen Will Levis not give a damn and just Chunk it to Hopkins all day. I think Baker needs to take that same attitude with Evans and Godwin. Just chunk it.

Not to mention Tua with Hill. Everyone know he is going to get the ball, but they don't care.
Evans and Godwin are not as good as Hopkins or Hill. It will be a guaranteed 3 and out 2 times out of 3.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:09 pm Bears @ Chargers is the epitome of a market matchup. No reason this game shouldn't have been flexed
It’s honestly ridiculous the NFL gave Chicago a SNF game after being the worst team in the league last year. I get it’s a market, but still.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Chargers social media after their win:
https://x.com/chargers/status/1718830956625191158?s=20

Sure, it's against the Bears but still funny...
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

bucarican wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:07 pm After seen Will Levis not give a damn and just Chunk it to Hopkins all day. I think Baker needs to take that same attitude with Evans and Godwin. Just chunk it.

For us it's harder.

The Titans' opponents have to worry about King Henry. Miami's opponents have to worry about defending the top passing and running game simultaneously. In essence, defenses can't just keep their safeties deep to help and double in perpetuity, because they have other things to worry about.

What do our opponents have to worry about beyond Evans and Godwin? No one gives a shit about our running game because it's horrible in all facets; our interior three are an active liability as our our tight ends on the edges. True, the blocking at tackle is adequate on both sides, but when you're the only one holding an umbrella in a hurricane everything's still gonna get drenched so it by-and-large is a nonfactor.

Our passing game is average at best, and it's run entirely through our two aforementioned wideouts. Evans and Godwin have about 2/3 of our receiving yards and touchdowns. Wanna hear a depressing stat? The Bucs have scored 11 TDs this year. Excluding Evans' and Godwin's contributions, we've scored five. FIVE! In seven games. Unbelievable.

The reason I say this is we can't just bomb it downfield to those two willy-nilly as plan A. The safeties are staying well-back for the most part when playing us, and while Evans and Godwin occasionally bust loose it's a rarity indeed because everyone on their sideline and ours knows that without those two, our offense and indeed team is nothing.

---

And while I say that and believe it holds true for this team at this time, I think it can change moving forward. With this quarterback and head coach and offensive coordinator, doubtfully. Maybe not even this GM, truth be told, though I could be convinced otherwise in that count.

I do think that if we keep Evans and Godwin, a more wide-open approach moving forward would be wise, hopefully managed by a young but proven offensive mind. Ideally one who isn't just holding onto his ex-employers' playbook, and a handful of well-meaning but empty platitudes who is just hoping it all works out.

If I had an office at One Buc, I'd be reaching out through back channels to Josh Heupel at Tennessee.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Can our offense not have turnovers and not be timid at the same time
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Our offense consists of Baker and five players - all of these players need to be excelling. Get it done or bring up the next pile from the scrap yard.

Start teaching Rashaad deeper routes.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Cheb wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:54 am

For us it's harder.

The Titans' opponents have to worry about King Henry. Miami's opponents have to worry about defending the top passing and running game simultaneously. In essence, defenses can't just keep their safeties deep to help and double in perpetuity, because they have other things to worry about.

What do our opponents have to worry about beyond Evans and Godwin? No one gives a shit about our running game because it's horrible in all facets; our interior three are an active liability as our our tight ends on the edges. True, the blocking at tackle is adequate on both sides, but when you're the only one holding an umbrella in a hurricane everything's still gonna get drenched so it by-and-large is a nonfactor.

Our passing game is average at best, and it's run entirely through our two aforementioned wideouts. Evans and Godwin have about 2/3 of our receiving yards and touchdowns. Wanna hear a depressing stat? The Bucs have scored 11 TDs this year. Excluding Evans' and Godwin's contributions, we've scored five. FIVE! In seven games. Unbelievable.

The reason I say this is we can't just bomb it downfield to those two willy-nilly as plan A. The safeties are staying well-back for the most part when playing us, and while Evans and Godwin occasionally bust loose it's a rarity indeed because everyone on their sideline and ours knows that without those two, our offense and indeed team is nothing.

---

And while I say that and believe it holds true for this team at this time, I think it can change moving forward. With this quarterback and head coach and offensive coordinator, doubtfully. Maybe not even this GM, truth be told, though I could be convinced otherwise in that count.

I do think that if we keep Evans and Godwin, a more wide-open approach moving forward would be wise, hopefully managed by a young but proven offensive mind. Ideally one who isn't just holding onto his ex-employers' playbook, and a handful of well-meaning but empty platitudes who is just hoping it all works out.

If I had an office at One Buc, I'd be reaching out through back channels to Josh Heupel at Tennessee.
I think the biggest problem is the first thing you said, it's something I've been complaining about for some time. Our interior line is gutted. Mauch might be a guy but we have black holes at center and guard where Marpet and Jenson used to be. It's why I was banging the drum so hard for Creed Humphrey, I didnt know who our next QB would be but I wanted him to have a stud center for the next 10 years.

Honestly, I think we are in the downward spiral. We are probably going to lose too much this offseason to realistically plug those holes and shoot for contention. I think we can potentially win games and maybe even win our division this year but to what end? We aren't winning a chip and as I said, next year is going to be tougher with our potential losses.

If I were Licht and I felt secure in my job, I do believe I'd start selling before the trade deadline. It might not work but I'd see if I could get something better than the comp pick for the guys who will be a FA next year. Maybe a sign and trade or just a one year rental to a contender, whatever. I'd at least do my due diligence. Maybe a team like the Bill overpay for Devin White, or the Chiefs with Mike Evans.

The bottom line is that this years QB class looks as deep as we are likely to see in the near future. They clearly don't think Trask is the answer and Baker isn't lighting it up in an offense that's bad around him. This is the year to take a guy. We can probably sit tight and get someone like Sanders or Penix without trading up.

Then again, I am posting at 3:30am, so what do I know
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:51 pm
Snake wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:44 pm

Kyle Shanahan is his father's son. But he's also learned a lot from the Grudens. He thinks he's a guru who can use any QB to operate his system.
Who led them to the SB?
What's Purdy's record thus far?

He's doing something right, no?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:54 am
Bootz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:51 pm

Who led them to the SB?

Sure, if you wanna go with the cliff notes version. Not particularly accurate but hey, it's par for the course.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:43 am
acmillis wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:54 am

Who led them to the SB?

Sure, if you wanna go with the cliff notes version. Not particularly accurate but hey, it's par for the course.
You said that Shanahan thinks he can use any qb to run his system...he's proving he can, what is inaccurate?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:54 am
Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:43 am

You said that Shanahan thinks he can use any qb to run his system...he's proving he can, what is inaccurate?
What exactly does he have to show for it?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:11 am
acmillis wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:54 am

One of the best W/L record in the league over the last half decade and a SB appearance? What do I win?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:25 am
Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:11 am

One of the best W/L record in the league over the last half decade and a SB appearance? What do I win?
Anything you win would be more than what he's won.

QB play is not why the Niners have won. That's a strawman you've created. The Niners have won because of their elite Oline, defense, and run game.

Their QB play was always lacking. That's why they struggled without Jimmy G, who was mostly serviceable. But he could only do so much. That's why they spent a premium on Lance. But Shanahan didn't want to go that route, that was mostly Lynch. That's why when he got hurt again and Purdy showed he could run point of his system, they cut bait.

But as we're seeing there is still a limit. Under Shanahan anytime the QB has to do more, it doesn't turn out well. Purdy has to do more now without Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel and the defense not playing up to their standard and CMC being bothered still by that rib injury. That has amounted to 17ppg, 6 turnovers and 3 straight losses.

So in full context, this team goes as it's Oline and defense goes. Not the QB.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Speaking of the Broncos, yesterday was their first win over KC in 16 games (8 years worth of losing) and their first win over Patrick Mahomes. Fans celebrated in the stadium after the game to Taylor Swift's song, Shake It Off, played over the stadium sound system.

Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:42 am

QB play is not why the Niners have won. That's a strawman you've created. The Niners have won because of their elite Oline, defense, and run game.

Their QB play was always lacking. That's why they struggled without Jimmy G, who was mostly serviceable. But he could only do so much. That's why they spent a premium on Lance. But Shanahan didn't want to go that route, that was mostly Lynch. That's why when he got hurt again and Purdy showed he could run point of his system, they cut bait.

But as we're seeing there is still a limit. Under Shanahan anytime the QB has to do more, it doesn't turn out well. Purdy has to do more now without Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel and the defense not playing up to their standard and CMC being bothered still by that rib injury. That has amounted to 17ppg, 6 turnovers and 3 straight losses.

While I agree with the base of what you're saying, I'm not arguing that Jimmy G and/or Purdy are world beaters, rather, that Kyle has built a system to allow an anyman QB to thrive.
Jimmy G in his time in SF put up totals of 82 TDs, 42 INT, and 13,599 yards in 57 games. That comes out to 24 TDs, 12INT, 4,055 yards in a 17 game season.
Purdy, conveniently, has played in 17 regular season games. 25 TD, 9 INT, 3,407 Yards.
Again, nobody is campaigning to give those players MVP consideration, but the coach deserves credit for that system.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:42 am

I mean, Purdy has been making some plays though. He just hasn't been lately so yeah, the 9ers have lost. injuries played a role as well.

Also, which QBs have had success with both a bad defense and bad oline? Obviously some guys can overcome some of the challenge but nobody can overcome it all. Purdy, as you said, probably needs to have a better supporting cast than an actual elite QB.

But there's clearly something Purdy did that Trey Lance couldn't, so it's not a case where anyone can start for the 49ers under Kyle.

Not sure if Purdy is trash and the past three weeks is who he's been or if the 9ers as a whole are just in a funk. Purdy had a damn good start to his career and I'm not convinced a bad QB gets those results as a fluke.

Who knows though, if this continues after getting the stars back from injury, then Purdy may have just been otherworldly lucky.